Travel Life Europe 21/22 - Planning, General short TRs, Travel and covid

sli1

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2001
Brisbane
Was just coming in to comment on the above. Sand/dust rain falling in London today and the sky is orange

The Pyrenees looking like Fraser Island

Not great here in the Arlberg either. That brown stuff is grippy. It got darker as the day went on.

EA0D09A3-7462-4F95-AE83-B8EC0228AC8B.jpeg

bluestick

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2005
northern rivers
Out of the ski country for a while now, seems not much being missed. Some may be interested in this. Been on the walk from Bologna to Florence this last week, it’s called the via degli DEI. It can be luxury walking staying at BNB’s or free camping if you want. Nice to travel really light though. Thorougly Recommended 6/7 day walk following a mainly ridge top route dateing back 2200 years. It does go up and down a bit. 200 metres to 1000 + metres a few times. Amazing towns at either end. Not busy at the moment. Photos: part the 3 km of Porticos in Bologna, views from Mt Adonis, some snow about still and Florence thingys.
D344FF50-8533-4329-B9F4-F921AF27718F.jpeg
808EF1DE-5333-4B09-8566-D1DE8334D677.jpeg
F410C674-D1A6-46D8-BD4A-858284EB22D8.jpeg
C67EAEBD-DDBF-4F8F-AC1D-C189724521FA.jpeg

sli1

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2001
Brisbane
Drove from Warth to Flachau today ( few hundred k's east) . Dust still blocking out the sun but the snow is not as brown as in the west. Back on (dirty) snow tomorrow.

Whiteman

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 29, 2003
North Sydney
Just returned from a 2 weeks trip to Austria for some skiing in Saalbach-Hinterglemm, and also some work in Graz. What a week it was, the weather was awesome and it was cold, keeping the snow in great nick.
We timed it well with the Dutch holidays finishing on the Saturday we arrived, and it was so good to see the huge lines of traffic all going the other way, mainly with NL plates, and the familiar 'mother-in-law boxes' on the roof racks. LOL
Timing was also spot on with the abolition of the Austrian Green Pass regs on that Saturday, so no dramas at all with tickets/hotels or anything else.

Great skiing, great weather, and so glad to be back in Hinterglemm catching up with some locals we have got to know over the last few years, and making some new ones on the way.

Some on here know that we do a 'Strudel Tour' every year as part of our trip, and our Strudelometer was working overtime, much to the amusement of the other lunch guests, and a number of high scores were recorded, but like other places, Hinterglemm had some 'supply chain issues', so some key ingredients were sadly missing, which was a bummer.

We were unable to hook up with @sli1 and his lovely +1 as our plans both changed a bit, but all in all, it was great to be back after a 2 year absence, and looking forward to a longer trip next year.

IMG_4476.JPG

66834062633__6304068D-9A22-43CA-94B4-6781EF5277ED.JPG

IMG_4483.JPG

IMG_4482.JPG

IMG_3380.JPG

IMG_3381.JPG

IMG_4471.JPG

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Ski Pass
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra
Just returned from a 2 weeks trip to Austria for some skiing in Saalbach-Hinterglemm, and also some work in Graz. What a week it was, the weather was awesome and it was cold, keeping the snow in great nick.
We timed it well with the Dutch holidays finishing on the Saturday we arrived, and it was so good to see the huge lines of traffic all going the other way, mainly with NL plates, and the familiar 'mother-in-law boxes' on the roof racks. LOL
Timing was also spot on with the abolition of the Austrian Green Pass regs on that Saturday, so no dramas at all with tickets/hotels or anything else.

Great skiing, great weather, and so glad to be back in Hinterglemm catching up with some locals we have got to know over the last few years, and making some new ones on the way.

Some on here know that we do a 'Strudel Tour' every year as part of our trip, and our Strudelometer was working overtime, much to the amusement of the other lunch guests, and a number of high scores were recorded, but like other places, Hinterglemm had some 'supply chain issues', so some key ingredients were sadly missing, which was a bummer.

We were unable to hook up with @sli1 and his lovely +1 as our plans both changed a bit, but all in all, it was great to be back after a 2 year absence, and looking forward to a longer trip next year.

IMG_4476.JPG

IMG_4483.JPG

IMG_4482.JPG

IMG_3380.JPG

IMG_3381.JPG

IMG_4471.JPG
Pic # 3 How good is Hochalm for big GS turns ?

Reactions: Whiteman

Heinz

Fully vaccinated and travelling again!
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide

IMG_4476.JPG

IMG_4483.JPG

IMG_4482.JPG

IMG_3380.JPG

IMG_3381.JPG

IMG_4471.JPG

In my couple of days here in the Schladming region, I haven't noticed any Dutch visitors. I recall though from previous trips to Skicircus that there always there in force. Here it is mostly Austrians, Germans and I've also heard a few Slavic speakers.

After all the effort in getting the Grüne pass I haven't yet used it it at all, although I haven't been going out at night. Hardly used the mask since I got here and have seen very little usage so far, although it apparently becomes mandatory again inside from Wednesday.

Reactions: Kimski

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Ski Pass
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra
In my couple of days here in the Schladming region, I haven't noticed any Dutch visitors. I recall though from previous trips to Skicircus that there always there in force. Here it is mostly Austrians, Germans and I've also heard a few Slavic speakers.

After all the effort in getting the Grüne pass I haven't yet used it it at all, although I haven't been going out at night. Hardly used the mask since I got here and have seen very little usage so far, although it apparently becomes mandatory again inside from Wednesday.
The Dutch holidays period is always busy in Saalbach. we used to say thank god its not during Fasching.

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
The Dutch holidays period is always busy in Saalbach. we used to say thank god its not during Fasching.
I remember last time I was there in 2019, had a day where there were Dutch in just about every gondola ride I was in.
It is nice here im Ennstal to hear mostly Austrian dialects.

Whiteman

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 29, 2003
North Sydney
Despite the mass exodus on the Saturday we arrived, there were still a fair number of them around, mainly congregating at the GoatStall, Walleggalm et al, and falling down the hill pissed and yelling and singing, very badly, as they went down the road after dinner and drinks.
I dislike them for a number of reasons. :crap:

• Haha
Reactions: sli1

sli1

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2001
Brisbane
Taxing out of Vienna now. Other than the Sahara sand storm that created some crap weather and conditions for a couple of days that we were in a the Arlberg, we have had a wonderful trip with blue sky returning in Slazburger land. At each of the places we stayed they had never had Australian guests before and we also didn’t hear any Aussie accents on the trip. It so good to travel again.

Just some advice for those yet to come back to Australia, ie @Sbooker and @Heinz, I’d recommend filling in your Australia DPD app as much as you can in advance of getting your COVID result to save time.

I resented every moment of the process of getting our RAT today at Vienna airport to board. At least we passed!

@Whiteman- if only we had flown into Munich rather than Vienna them we would have been able to catch up.

Sbooker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 28, 2015
Thanks @sli1
I’m sitting in our apartment in Tignes right now after a big day. We’ve had our time in Les Arcs. Loved it. Too much to report so I’ll post some pics. Travel, snow (even if slushy and orange), trying to speak another language and out of the ordinary food and drink - this is living. :)
F6EE731E-CE2A-4B17-9990-899ACB457BEC.jpeg

866AAA9A-FB3F-4086-8146-162650D87590.jpeg

A7EAB7ED-9B7E-4AC3-8A61-9AEFBFE9A20E.jpeg

B2C2F8D2-1956-47EB-9EEC-69B2BBE2FEA0.jpeg
9A78A6AE-C894-4DA7-A182-3D4BAEC129AC.jpeg

4A54F540-B738-4188-8308-28F05A741D15.jpeg

Sbooker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 28, 2015
Having issues loading photos. Will do some more later.
It was warm in Les Arcs but I’ve never seen anyone shirtless.

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Taxing out of Vienna now. Other than the Sahara sand storm that created some crap weather and conditions for a couple of days that we were in a the Arlberg, we have had a wonderful trip with blue sky returning in Slazburger land. At each of the places we stayed they had never had Australian guests before and we also didn’t hear any Aussie accents on the trip. It so good to travel again.

Just some advice for those yet to come back to Australia, ie @Sbooker and @Heinz, I’d recommend filling in your Australia DPD app as much as you can in advance of getting your COVID result to save time.

I resented every moment of the process of getting our RAT today at Vienna airport to board. At least we passed!

@Whiteman- if only we had flown into Munich rather than Vienna them we would have been able to catch up.

Thanks, noted. But I'm not returning home until May. Hoping for more changes before then.

sara777

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2008
Sydney
Edit: don’t worry, found it!

By DPD, you guys refer to the Australia Travel Dec app? I also hope lots will change by May/ June..

Reactions: Kimski

sli1

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2001
Brisbane
Edit: don’t worry, found it!

By DPD, you guys refer to the Australia Travel Dec app? I also hope lots will change by May/ June..
Yes, that one. Called Australia DPD. I was over the COVID BS by the time we got home tonight.
In the last 30 hours:
Covid Tested at Vienna airport, opened a DPD account (not intuitive), access to the Vienna airport COVID test results for my wife and was quite different processes (why?) causing much stress, got our DPD and vaccination certificates checked at Vienna boarding which is stupid - You are getting every passenger to open two different apps on their phone (its on the same effin app!) had to do the same at Dubai check-in, then during the descent into Brisbane we are told to go on-line to get authority to enter QLD (separate to Australia) and how does one do this on a plane?
Then told to disembark keeping 2m from each other when we have just spent 14hrs on quite full flight! Then on arrival, we have to produce our vaccination certificates to ABF again. FFS, given all this BS, I figured omicron must be rampant here. Then I checked that we have 5 people in ICU in QLD.

I guess you can tell I’m pretty happy about continuing this BS to protect those that have chosen not to be fully vaccinated. Covid isn’t going away, the hospital system won’t get overrun and we are still persisting with all this crap.

Last edited:

Whiteman

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 29, 2003
North Sydney
Yes, that one. Called Australia DPD. I was over the COVID BS by the time we got home tonight.
In the last 30 hours:
Covid Tested at Vienna airport, opened a DPD account (not intuitive), access to the Vienna airport COVID test results for my wife and was quite different processes (why?) causing much stress, got our DPD and vaccination certificates checked at Vienna boarding which is stupid - You are getting very passenger to open two different apps on their phone (its on the same effin app!) had to do the same at Dubai check-in, then during the descent into Brisbane we are told to go on-line to get authority to enter QLD (separate to Australia) and how does one do this on a plane?
Then told to disembark keeping 2m from each other when we have just spent 14hrs on quite full flight! Then on arrival, we have to produce our vaccination certificates to ABF again. FFS, given all this BS, I figured omicron must be rampant here. Then I checked that we have 5 people in ICU in QLD.

I guess you can tell I’m pretty happy about continuing this BS to protect thise that have chosen not to be fully vaccinated. Covid isn’t going away, the hospital system won’t get overrun and we are still persisting with all this crap.

We had no such issues. It was fiddly to fill out, but everything else went okay. Arrived in Sydney, straight through the ePassport terminal, picked up bags, quick scan, and out of there.

sli1

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2001
Brisbane
We had no such issues. It was fiddly to fill out, but everything else went okay. Arrived in Sydney, straight through the ePassport terminal, picked up bags, quick scan, and out of there.
I'll add that that while there are certain rules around entering Queensland in terms of having another test within the 24 hours that you arrive, there is no declaration that you have to sign on the website that emirates was directing us to so they were wrong on that count.

We were also given the declaration card to fill in as we were descending (as has been the case forever) and told that you only need to fill it in if you haven't filled in the Australia DPD app which was also wrong.

I realise I'm being persnickety about what was otherwise yet another excellent Emirates flight but there is more than enough justifying of your Covid test status and vaccinations without being given further wrong directives.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Whiteman

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 29, 2003
North Sydney
I'll add that that while there are certain rules around entering Queensland in terms of having another test within the 24 hours that you arrive, there is no declaration that you have to sign on the website that emirates was directing us to so they were wrong on that count.

We were also given the declaration card to fill in as we were descending (as has been the case forever) and told that you only need to fill it in if you haven't filled in the Australia DPD app which was also wrong.

I realise I'm being persnickety about what was otherwise yet another excellent Emirates flight but there is more than enough justifying of your Covid test status and vaccinations without being given further wrong directives.
Well at least your now home. :thumbs:

Reactions: sli1

Sbooker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 28, 2015
Yay. Pre flight tests for re entering Australia being ditched from Apr 27.

A bit late for us. We just did our test near the Geneva airport for a negative result. :)
The test was done by a laboratory and a certificate was issued. It was completely free. @sli1 Did yours cost anything?

Last edited:

sli1

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2001
Brisbane
A bit late for us. We just did our test near the Geneva airport for a negative result. :)
The test was done by a laboratory and a certificate was issued. It was completely free. @sli1 Did yours cost anything?
Yep, it was 25 or 30 euro each for ours. The uncertainty on how long it would take and finding the place in the airport to do it was more of a pain than the cost. I really despise pre-testing for anything in a vaccinated world.

sli1

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2001
Brisbane

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010

IMG_4476.JPG

IMG_4483.JPG

IMG_4482.JPG

IMG_3380.JPG

IMG_3381.JPG

IMG_4471.JPG
Quality effort with the strudel. You ski those calories right off don’t you ...

Had a great time in Saalbach a few years ago.

Planning has started for my 2023 trip :) Nothing definite yet but leave from work is already booked and my ski trip fund is looking healthy. At this stage I could still be skiing in Canada or Japan but Europe is calling for a ‘big’ trip after so long without snow or travel.

Hoping to try somewhere new but still looking for a reasonable size ski area. Zermatt is a bucket list location but mot sure if my bank balance will be happy. Not too fussy on country but likely to be doing at least one week in the Dolomites in Italy.

Last edited:

bluestick

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2005
northern rivers
Our extended 6 month foray onto “the continent” continues. Got the dreaded c thing a week or so ago. Funny sort of sick, bad cough then weird lingering spasmodic malaise, nausea. Could be a lot worse. Got a few days on the delightful Cinque Terre prior, reasonably quite for a tourist hot spot, great walking with train shuttles. It’s deservedly popular. Back to the UK to convalesce, there is something weirdly quirky about the the coast there. Now over in Finland driving north to Lapland, still plenty of snow. Little downhill ‘resorts’ and xc tracks everywhere. Photos Italy Cinque Terre, Brit coast, Finland Lahti xc tracks.
00F972E7-D47C-4C2A-A978-F57556EAD8B1.jpeg
60A424FB-9107-4D83-B859-D21D57165F0D.jpeg
B033FCD6-8B8E-4C0B-B2C6-1413628EA395.jpeg

bluestick

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2005
northern rivers
Northern Finland xc touring over the last week, snowing everyday. It’s pretty special with lots of xc tracks, cafes on the trails and little ski resorts. Forget Perisher, you want flat it’s here!
482B5327-8801-438A-A42D-05CD1E473145.jpeg
4207B36D-9E30-406B-950A-F0A4528D0522.jpeg
0821B5BC-F9AE-4DE0-B675-E50ABB542B34.jpeg
Photos track to Sioskuru hut near Hetta, hut, Levi ski resort. May do a trip report later, it’s a very cool ski destination particularly for xc track and touring.

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Ski Pass
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra
10 cm of new snow in Saalbach. Snow all the way down to Fieberbrunn base 836 elevation with a few flakes continuing this morning . Big fat flakes up on the hill. Amazing for this time of year.

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
Northern Finland xc touring over the last week, snowing everyday. It’s pretty special with lots of xc tracks, cafes on the trails and little ski resorts. Forget Perisher, you want flat it’s here!
482B5327-8801-438A-A42D-05CD1E473145.jpeg
4207B36D-9E30-406B-950A-F0A4528D0522.jpeg
0821B5BC-F9AE-4DE0-B675-E50ABB542B34.jpeg
Photos track to Sioskuru hut near Hetta, hut, Levi ski resort. May do a trip report later, it’s a very cool ski destination particularly for xc track and touring.
Have you found the underground Nordic Trail?

DVP

Addicted
Aug 14, 2002
Reading, UK
Back to the UK on Sunday after another trip to Aosta, this time with the kids. After the terrible season in Italy that they have had, it is truly remarkable how they manage to keep runs open... towards the end of the week it was 24 degrees at the top of the gondola and 31 in town! Waterskiing through the bottom bit and we thought there is no way they can fix this for the morning... yet they did!

5 days at Pila, 1 at La Thuile and 1 at Cervinia. With the exception of Cervinia absolutely empty pistes, at one point I couldn't see anyone in any direction at Pila even though I could see about 4 runs and 3 chairs.

It got much busier in Aosta itself as the Easter weekend hit but clearly the Italians are done with skiing by this time of year which is fine with us!

As always thoroughly recommend Aosta as a base for a ski trip. We will be back next year!

fennekeg

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 3, 2018
Arnhem area
Despite the mass exodus on the Saturday we arrived, there were still a fair number of them around, mainly congregating at the GoatStall, Walleggalm et al, and falling down the hill pissed and yelling and singing, very badly, as they went down the road after dinner and drinks.
I dislike them for a number of reasons. :crap:
Yup, the Dutch in Austria are like the Australians in Japan ;) I'm planning our next Japan snow trip to start right after January 31st:out:

Reactions: sli1 and Hyst

bluestick

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2005
northern rivers
Enjoying the delights of Snowdonia on our 6 month in Europe journey. (See free camping photos below). Run out of Schengen time, so UK and Croatia it is to finish off. No questions asked leaving Finland even though we were a couple of weeks over the 3 months. The Visa waiver arrangement was our back up. Feel So so lucky to do this after Covid and being at pensionable age
2C2E8A72-6BAA-4D54-80CD-903D49133107.jpeg
147021A1-E6A5-4F0F-A037-7E11EDA5A3A5.jpeg

bluestick

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2005
northern rivers
A bit of a Europe spring travel update but first, so stoked to see the majority of Australians have some common sense. After the marriage vote and saying goodbye to scomo, my faith in the Australian ‘vibe’ is restored. Meanwhile in the uk a reasonable bit of coverage and awareness of the event. On another note after enjoying the delights of the Snowdonia Way, have had a short trip up to the Peak District and the starting point for the Penine Way. Wonderful walking all over the UK with plenty of free camping options, never to far from village refreshments though. A few pics .. Snowdonia wild camp, Peak District near Edale
2C9FE5CB-0208-4FE8-9241-9F6D4C5B64D8.jpeg

06EE1EBC-A721-49AC-BA1B-72C3E4CCA720.jpeg

try hard

Addicted
Ski Pass
Feb 4, 2001
Sydney,Australia
Quick question, can you use the same travel sim for Austria/Iceland and UK?? I can only find info stating all EU countries but given the UK are no longer an EU country, will we need multiple sims??

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Quick question, can you use the same travel sim for Austria/Iceland and UK?? I can only find info stating all EU countries but given the UK are no longer an EU country, will we need multiple sims??
Try here https://simcorner.com/collections/europe-sim-card

Can order in Australia. I used one specifically for Austria. It had a UK number and used the 3 network. It automatically connects to the local network when you install it - takes 10 mins or so. Not sure how it works when you move countries. Worked mostly pretty well in Austria apart from a couple of days.

Reactions: try hard

bluestick

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2005
northern rivers
UK still part of agreement re mobile roaming in Europe. We used the one Heinz mentions above worked fine UK and Italy. Since then have bought the prepaid ‘3’ sim here in the UK (20 GB for £15) that has worked in fine in Italy, Finland, Croatia. You get a UK number with it. Also bought an e sim through the Airalo app that is working well too.

Kenzie

Addicted
Sep 23, 2019
Iceland is not in the EU either.
Regarding the UK you may want to wait until closer to travelling - our relationship with the EU is constantly changing.

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
A couple of notes in the simcorner details and FAQ.
  • Can be used in the following countries: Austria, Azores, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Canary Islands, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, French Guyana, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Guadeloupe, Guernsey, Hungary, Iceland, Isle of Man, Israel (Data Only), Italy, Jersey, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madeira, Malta, Martinique, Mayotte, Netherlands, Norway, Northern Ireland, Poland, Portugal, Reunion Islands, Republic of Ireland, Romania, San Marino, Saint Martin (French), Saint Barthélemy, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom and Vatican City (Italy)
Q. I am travelling to multiple countries, what do I need to do to use the sim as I move from one country to another?

A. If you are travelling to different countries that are noted on the "Countries Coverage" section, then all you need to do is restart your phone as you move from one country to another. The sim will automatically connect to a local carrier.

bluestick

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2005
northern rivers
Looks like a truely special start to the Aus ski season. Wow. Meanwhile, on a completely different note, it’s been a fun summery few weeks cruising around the coast and mountains of non-Shengen Croatia. Last Euro foray before heading back to Straya in a week. There is so much to experience in Europe. A few pics from Croatia.The amazing tourist hotspot of Plitvice Lakes:
BAEC817F-233F-4812-AB74-2619E7FF9282.jpeg

Adriatic blue at Krk:
7D076662-B857-49A9-883B-810E3F9E021B.jpeg

A closed and bordered up mountain hut (apparently because of recent break ins by ‘emigrants’):
27EFC0E2-5456-4D69-95C5-C02D354E22BF.jpeg

Finally the mysterious source of the Kupa river in Risnjak NP near the Slovenia border:

6DDA57D4-F25B-4D5B-834F-0C4855011B90.jpeg

sn0wbunny29

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 11, 2015
Sydney
Croatia looks good. We have a family wedding in Montenegro in October and we're really looking forward to exploring and doing some hiking. Sadly just a bit too early for skiing.

Reactions: bluestick
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass