Europe 21/22 Planning

sara777

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2008
Sydney
We are planning back to UK to see family end of Feb and I am desperate to tag on a trip to France prob 1st week March. Kids 7, 5, 2. If the UK are vaxxing kids at that point we'll get ours done when we're there. We are on a one way trip to 90% double vaxxed, like no where else in the world and nothing is going to derail Scomo, who realises this is his only election salvation after his monumental gamble cockup with the vaccines earlier this year.
Yeah, I am also planning early March/April at the latest. Will be two years and something then since I've seen my family (3 years for my brother & his kids). I can't imagine waiting any longer - was hoping for Xmas but it might be still a bit iffy.. But will be booking the flights as soon as I can.
Imagine getting off the plane in Europe & testing positive o_O

Skifahrer

Hard Yards
Feb 6, 2021
Dahoam
What is 1 G - 1 dose?
Oh, sorry.

These are different categories that are related to a person's Covid status.

This classification is used in the German-speaking countries D, AT and CH:

1 G = vaccinated (Geimpft)
2 G = recovered from Covid (Genesen)
3 G = negative Covid test within 24 hours (Getestet)

For example, I'm 1 G because I've been fully vaccinated since July, so I can do après-ski.:)

Skifahrer

Hard Yards
Feb 6, 2021
Dahoam
Since the government cannot force anyone to be vaccinated, there will be restrictions for those who are not vaccinated in the future via the 3 G rule. It will happen that 2 G applies in restaurants, hotels or ski areas. So only those who have been vaccinated and recovered can get in there.
The Covid test (PCR or antigen) will no longer be free of charge from October.

I think that's very good, because there are currently enough vaccine doses available in Germany. A vaccination appointment can be made immediately.

XTREMO

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2000
Berlin
Sorry. My browser hadn't loaded the posts above. Some superflouous info below.

No. 1G = Vaccinated

Needs a brief German language lesson. The most common way of expressing the past participle of a verb In German is to add "ge" at the beginning.
For an approximate English language example.
I shower
I have ge-showered.

Geimpft = vaccinated (Impfung = Vaccination)
Genesen = recovered
Getestet = tested (ie. show a negative antigen test result from the free test stations that are everywhere and cost the Govt billions)

So up until now, many places have been operating on a 3G basis. Any one of the 3 G's have been acceptable to gain access to a particular activity.

The free tests are being phased out in October. Ie. Govt subsidies for unvaxxed will cease. Unvaxxed will need to pay for the tests themselves. So the squeeze is on from that side.

Many places (such as indoor areas of clubs) are now operating on a 2G basis (vaccinated or recovered). A negative test is no longer accepted. The squeeze is on from this angle too.

There is debate about 2G because it is essentially like a vaccine mandate "through the back door". I say bring it on.

What I don't understand, why not doing a 2 G, so people who have already recovered from Covid are also allowed?

To incentivise vaccination.

Hopefully they make air travel 1G soon. With medical exceptions for all those who CANNOT be vaxxed. That will induce some movement in the recalcitrant

Last edited:
Reactions: Hyst and Skifahrer

XTREMO

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2000
Berlin
For example, I'm 1 G because I've been fully vaccinated since July, so I can do après-ski.:)
For the sake of clarification, 1G does not really refer to an individual's vaccination status. You aren't 1G. A venue that chooses to only let vaccinated people in has a 1G policy.

Someone who has recovered from covid, may or may not be vaccinated and may or may not have done a test to show that they're covid negative. The person is not "2G".

2G refers to the entry policy and means that a venue will accept either vaccinated people or recovered people.

Reactions: sli1

ShaunQuigley

Hard Yards
Aug 9, 2019
We have just booked our flights back to the UK in Feb and at the same time booked a catered chalet in Morzine. It's been a real mental state boost to do so although if it ends up being cancelled it will feel pretty crippling. Can't see that happening though. Really excited to get back to the catered chalet (stayed in hotels in Candada, Snowbird and Japan and it just wasn't the same...)

Got engaged in Morzine 8 years ago but stayed in Montriond and most remember Avoriaz and Ranfoilly bowl. Anyone been more recently with any tips for hire, good places to eat on mountain etc?

Only a few months til endless snow-cam checking begins

• Love
Reactions: Kash and sli1

sn0wbunny29

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 11, 2015
Sydney
We have just booked our flights back to the UK in Feb and at the same time booked a catered chalet in Morzine. It's been a real mental state boost to do so although if it ends up being cancelled it will feel pretty crippling. Can't see that happening though. Really excited to get back to the catered chalet (stayed in hotels in Candada, Snowbird and Japan and it just wasn't the same...)

Got engaged in Morzine 8 years ago but stayed in Montriond and most remember Avoriaz and Ranfoilly bowl. Anyone been more recently with any tips for hire, good places to eat on mountain etc?

Only a few months til endless snow-cam checking begins
Yes, we're looking at doing something similar. My 95 Yr old father has been in hospital for the last 6 weeks. Fortunately he went home yesterday. I'm planning a return UK trip to see family and hope to snag a quick ski trip. That's this afternoons job!

sli1

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2001
Brisbane
Anyone banking on flying through the middle east and then on to Geneva/Munich/Geneva/Milan ? I'm keen to get to the mountains the fast way, not via the UK.

blueandwhite

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 26, 2016
TQY
Anyone banking on flying through the middle east and then on to Geneva/Munich/Geneva/Milan ? I'm keen to get to the mountains the fast way, not via the UK
Not quite but we've booked to go from Melbourne to Frankfurt via Tokyo on JAL. We used frequent flyer points and was a heap of FF availability at the time. Bit of a random hedge that if we're not allowed to go to Europe we may be allowed to Japan. It's all pie in the sky really though as I don't realistically expect to be allowed to go to either. Fortunately there is no significant penalty for cancelling FF flights so there's not much to lose.

Availability to get to Munich or Zurich was non-existent for FF flights which is why we ended up with Frankfurt (the plan was to go to Austria). Obviously Frankfurt wouldn't fit with your need to get to the mountains the fast way though!

Kash

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2007
Sydney
Anyone banking on flying through the middle east and then on to Geneva/Munich/Geneva/Milan ? I'm keen to get to the mountains the fast way, not via the UK.

Zurich via Cathay is a good option too, thats what we did in 2019 and visited a couple of nice small resorts and towns while driving from Zurich to Meribel.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

ShaunQuigley

Hard Yards
Aug 9, 2019
We will be going to Geneva from london as seeing family there. Flying with Cathay and booked with a travel agent in case of amber list issues but the next day the UK pretty much scrapped the amber list altogether! Still feels safer to stick with HKG or SIN

sara777

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2008
Sydney
I am still in holding pattern with the booking until it’s confirmed the international borders are opened & home q is guaranteed. March will be the month to leave if everything goes well. This will be a valuable space to share the new world travel experiences too…

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
We usually go that way but I am a little nervous about the Abu Dhabi stop as flights come there from literally everywhere. Dubai too.

We’ve got Gold Etihad status which is very helpful with all the extra kgs

Reactions: sli1 and sara777

Zeroz

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 8, 2002
Bouvet Island
www.banipal.co.uk
Like many I have a shitload of points and kids are keen on helping me use them, so I just checked. Always keen to avoid LHR.

Plenty of QFF flights to (say) CDG on 20 Jan, all classes.
Emirates via Dubai, Qatar via Doha, Cathay via HK. OW - Eco is 66k and Bus is 159k, plus usual ripoff fees.

Heinz

Fully vaccinated but nowhere to go
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
I am still in holding pattern with the booking until it’s confirmed the international borders are opened & home q is guaranteed. March will be the month to leave if everything goes well. This will be a valuable space to share the new world travel experiences too…

Very similar situation for me as well. Not even thinking of making any bookings this far out as things change too quickly. But if things do fall into place with borders, flights and home quarantine, I'll be very keen to get to Austria in March.

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
We usually go that way but I am a little nervous about the Abu Dhabi stop as flights come there from literally everywhere. Dubai too.

Likewise, my last 2 trips have been via Dubai, but I would be wary of going that way now. I have a Qantas flight credit due to cancelled NZ trip (thanks again Gladys), so would likely use that, just have to put up with a detour via London. More factors now in play than just quickest route and cost.

Last edited:

sli1

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2001
Brisbane
Likewise, my last 2 trips have been via Dubai, but I would be wary of going that way now. I have a Qantas flight credit due to cancelled NZ trip (thanks again Gladys), so would likely use that, just have to put up with a detour via London. More factors now in play than just quickest route and cost.
Same
Very similar situation for me as well. Not even thinking of making any bookings this far out as things change too quickly. But if things do fall into place with borders, flights and home quarantine, I'll be very keen to get to Austria in March.
Same plan at this stage - Austria in March. Heinz, the irony is that if the March trip happens you will need to thank Gladys for that too. No way was this summer a goer for intl travel without the NSW outbreak

Last edited:
Reactions: Kash and sara777

Jarryboy

One of Us
Jun 4, 2019
Same

Same plan at this stage - Austria in March. Heinz the irony is that the March trip happens you will need to thank Gladys for that too. No way was this summer a goer for intl travel without the NSW outbreak
We are in a similar boat, except France will be our backup plan if Japan plans turn to shit. Happy to roll the dice on flying through the Middle East. I did take the Astra Zucchini whilst under 40

Reactions: Kash and sli1

sli1

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2001
Brisbane
We are in a similar boat, except France will be our backup plan if Japan plans turn to shit. Happy to roll the dice on flying through the Middle East. I did take the Astra Zucchini whilst under 40
I love it - AZ under 40, thrill seeker. I got the AZ at 50. I would be willing to go through the middle east if you aren't required to get a -ve test at the destination (or if I get could get a 3rd Astra Zucchini before going).

Reactions: Kash

Jarryboy

One of Us
Jun 4, 2019
I love it - AZ under 40, thrill seeker. I got the AZ at 50. I will be keen to through the middle east is that if you aren't required to get a -ve test at the other end (or even if I get could get a 3rd Astra Zucchini before going)
Was almost as exciting as a holiday to Europe. Hopefully the whole flying/ vaccine process will be relatively streamlined by Feb/March.

sara777

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2008
Sydney
Pardon my ignorance, but I am a bit lost about the wariness of transiting via Dubai/Abu Dhabi etc? Is it because of potential exposure? Special requirements?

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Pardon my ignorance, but I am a bit lost about the wariness of transiting via Dubai/Abu Dhabi etc? Is it because of potential exposure? Special requirements?
Flights come in there from everywhere - places where Covid will be raging so I will be interesting to see what their policies are.

the irony is that the March trip happens you will need to thank Gladys for that too. No way was this summer a goer for intl travel without the NSW outbreak
Yup.

sli1

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2001
Brisbane

How would Abu Dhabi and Dubai pose more risk than landing in say LA. Don't they both have flights coming in from everywhere?
At LA you get to spend about an hour waiting for luggage in the baggage hall with flights from anywhere.

sn0wbunny29

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 11, 2015
Sydney
Dubai was on the UK red list so if your flight went by them then you were in for a 10 day hotel quarantine whereas if you went through Singapore or HK you were arriving from a green country so just testing needed. I think that Dubai went to amber not so long ago but have not checked recently. It certainly explained my reluctance to go with Emirates.

LDJ

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2017
Not sure given the current flight options but I found both Geneva and Turin as great options for this in the past. Who knows now but both had lots of options to ski big resorts close by and were easy connections without UK.

LDJ

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2017
Dubai was on the UK red list so if your flight went by them then you were in for a 10 day hotel quarantine whereas if you went through Singapore or HK you were arriving from a green country so just testing needed. I think that Dubai went to amber not so long ago but have not checked recently. It certainly explained my reluctance to go with Emirates.
I’m going to do the Perth crazy direct flight (starting Brisbane) to Heathrow to avoid Middle East as want to minimise time in any airports as my parents in UK are high risk category and so far avoided COVID

Reactions: sli1 and Hyst

sn0wbunny29

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 11, 2015
Sydney
I’m going to do the Perth crazy direct flight (starting Brisbane) to Heathrow to avoid Middle East as want to minimise time in any airports as my parents in UK are high risk category and so far avoided COVID
Yes, I'd thought of that but I think that in the first instance it'll be through Darwin unless WA opens to NSW and Victoria. I'm in a similar position with both parents in the vulnerable group and both in their 90s. I don't want to be introducing them to Covid.

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
I reckon the direct to Heathrow flight (most probably from Darwin) is going to be super expensive for these valid reasons.

Reactions: sara777 and LDJ

LDJ

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2017
I reckon the direct to Heathrow flight (most probably from Darwin) is going to be super expensive for these valid reasons.
Weirdly I can currently book it in Jan 2022 for about 3k return which while expensive isn’t as expensive as I was expecting especially since I have credits from ski trips to US and Japan being cancelled during COVID. Not sure if when I actually press book it will say you can’t do this or actually you are now flying via somewhere else.

Reactions: sli1 and CarveMan

Hyst

Enjoyer
Ski Pass
Nov 23, 2014
Copenhagen
www.ahmadjoudeh.com
Uk does not look at the best European countries to head to from a Covid perspective, even though they open.

Italy looks in fact best if it is about skiing.
The other alps countries are not doing as well in vaccinationrates and other parameters.
Vaccination rate.PNG

Hospital admissions.PNG

But others might look at it differently. :) And statistics from differnet countries are always difficult to compare.

sli1

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2001
Brisbane
Not sure given the current flight options but I found both Geneva and Turin as great options for this in the past. Who knows now but both had lots of options to ski big resorts close by and were easy connections without UK.
Any tips for renting a car in Turin with winter tyres?

LDJ

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2017
Any tips for renting a car in Turin with winter tyres?
Sorry not sure on that one the last 2 times I have been and gone to Serre chevalier about 1.5hrs away from Turin and once friends who lived there picked us up and the other time and ski school arranged one of the instructors to pick us up. Was cheaper doing that than renting a car. Was not an offical service just some extra cash for a local ski instructor on day off.

bluestick

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2005
northern rivers
Thought I’d share our plans for interest, comment and advice. We have our travel exemption (going for six months, family reunion UK) we are both double vaxed. Nothing booked yet. Planning UK late Nov then Italy for late Dec 2 -3 months then Norway/Finland. One way flights are around $1K with Singapore, Emirates, Ethiad. Take a punt on returns being cheaper in May next year. Travel insurance is an issue with seemingly no cover while Aus Govt has “do not travel” for virtually all countries. Basic medical reciprocity with Italy and Scandinavia eases this risk somewhat so aiming at those countries (although Austria was the original preference) and take the risk, not too worried about other travel insurance cover. Looking in Italy for: on snow, snow sure, good bc / off piste access, xc tracks in resort, cheapish accom and have come up with Cervinia, Monterosa or Livigno then moving to Dolomites area mid Feb to see around pic in Winter. Are we dreaming that this is even possible?
7475DB6A-9ECA-4E9C-9BCC-FE81BBE99248.jpeg

Hyst

Enjoyer
Ski Pass
Nov 23, 2014
Copenhagen
www.ahmadjoudeh.com
Thought I’d share our plans for interest, comment and advice. We have our travel exemption (going for six months, family reunion UK) we are both double vaxed. Nothing booked yet. Planning UK late Nov then Italy for late Dec 2 -3 months then Norway/Finland. One way flights are around $1K with Singapore, Emirates, Ethiad. Take a punt on returns being cheaper in May next year. Travel insurance is an issue with seemingly no cover while Aus Govt has “do not travel” for virtually all countries. Basic medical reciprocity with Italy and Scandinavia eases this risk somewhat so aiming at those countries (although Austria was the original preference) and take the risk, not too worried about other travel insurance cover. Looking in Italy for: on snow, snow sure, good bc / off piste access, xc tracks in resort, cheapish accom and have come up with Cervinia, Monterosa or Livigno then moving to Dolomites area mid Feb to see around pic in Winter. Are we dreaming that this is even possible?
7475DB6A-9ECA-4E9C-9BCC-FE81BBE99248.jpeg
Monterosa is your choise! (off piste)

Seiser Alm for xc, or

Scandiland. https://www.lillastugan.se/bilder/

Reactions: bluestick

Zeroz

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 8, 2002
Bouvet Island
www.banipal.co.uk
Sorry not sure on that one the last 2 times I have been and gone to Serre chevalier about 1.5hrs away from Turin and once friends who lived there picked us up and the other time and ski school arranged one of the instructors to pick us up. Was cheaper doing that than renting a car. Was not an official service just some extra cash for a local ski instructor on day off.

Last time skiing was Jan 2020, starting with a week in Serre Chevalier - Briancon, Chantamerle, Villeneuve, stayed in Monetier Les Bains

We hired a car in Milan and there were about seven road toll gates between Milan and Monetier, 250km, total tolls of €30.
The toll amount varied enormously at each gate with zero relationship to the distance or road quality.

A we approached each gate we had a fun guessing game for the amount. Never even close.
2.80 euro, 12 euros, 1.25e, then 7.15e, etc. I assume an Italian random number generator is used to calculate tolls.

Last edited:

bluestick

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2005
northern rivers
Monterosa is your choise! (off piste)

Seiser Alm for xc, or

Scandiland. https://www.lillastugan.se/bilder/
Thanks for that, Monterosa looks the goods. Re Shengen, I understand Australia has arrangements with a few EU Countries (e.g Norway) that allows you to stay longer than the three months.B8245784-CF9E-469D-8BF7-FC3A3BC3ED11.jpeg

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
So…
Plan B should Nihon not open for us is Austria. I haven’t been looking at flights, hoops to jump through etc.. Anyone got any intel I might need?

Sbooker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 28, 2015
So…
Plan B should Nihon not open for us is Austria. I haven’t been looking at flights, hoops to jump through etc.. Anyone got any intel I might need?
No but I suspect Canada/US will be available first. Europe should follow relatively quickly I would think.

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
So…

Anywhere in particular in mind?

As I have mentioned before I'm keen to get back to Austria once it is possible with home quarantine return to catch up with family again. If it happens in time for skiing that will be a bonus. I am hoping for March if everything falls into place.

But that is a big if, so far too early to do any real planning at this stage with so much to play out at this end. We need to hit our vaccination targets, have some form of vaccine passport issued here that will be accepted in Austria, allow international travel for fully vaccinated with home quarantine, see what airlines will actually be operating etc.

Best destination hubs for Austria is probably Munich, otherwise Vienna for eastern Austria or Zurich for western parts.

I did have a quick look at flight options on Skyscanner. Possible options from Adelaide are Singapore/Swiss/Lufthansa via Singapore, Cathay/Lufthansa via Hongkong or Qantas/Emirates via London or Dubai.
Logistically for me I like the Singapore/Munich option. But I want to use my Qantas credit from my cancelled NZ trip, which would mean going via Dubai or London. Would still be somewhat wary of transiting via Dubai, so would probably have to put up with the detour via London.

That site from @blueandwhite looks like a good one.

Reactions: LMB and sara777

sara777

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2008
Sydney
Anywhere in particular in mind?

As I have mentioned before I'm keen to get back to Austria once it is possible with home quarantine return to catch up with family again. If it happens in time for skiing that will be a bonus. I am hoping for March if everything falls into place.

But that is a big if, so far too early to do any real planning at this stage with so much to play out at this end. We need to hit our vaccination targets, have some form of vaccine passport issued here that will be accepted in Austria, allow international travel for fully vaccinated with home quarantine, see what airlines will actually be operating etc.

Best destination hubs for Austria is probably Munich, otherwise Vienna for eastern Austria or Zurich for western parts.

I did have a quick look at flight options on Skyscanner. Possible options from Adelaide are Singapore/Swiss/Lufthansa via Singapore, Cathay/Lufthansa via Hongkong or Qantas/Emirates via London or Dubai.
Logistically for me I like the Singapore/Munich option. But I want to use my Qantas credit from my cancelled NZ trip, which would mean going via Dubai or London. Would still be somewhat wary of transiting via Dubai, so would probably have to put up with the detour via London.

That site from @blueandwhite looks like a good one.
I checked on Hopper several times - plenty of options (and cheap) for March/April. As you said, it depends on so many things.
I am still hoping for direct to Vienna, but also like the Singapore option.
Will be following your timeline re booking
Also hopefull with this:

“Travellers who can show proof of full vaccination or past infection do not need to register for pre-travel clearance and do not need to self-isolate.”

Same for sevral other EU countries. Also, suppose it will be somewhat easier with my EU passport.

Reactions: LMB and Heinz

Hyst

Enjoyer
Ski Pass
Nov 23, 2014
Copenhagen
www.ahmadjoudeh.com
I checked on Hopper several times - plenty of options (and cheap) for March/April. As you said, it depends on so many things.
I am still hoping for direct to Vienna, but also like the Singapore option.
Will be following your timeline re booking
Also hopefull with this:

“Travellers who can show proof of full vaccination or past infection do not need to register for pre-travel clearance and do not need to self-isolate.”

Same for sevral other EU countries. Also, suppose it will be somewhat easier with my EU passport.
At the moment the is a 6 month limit how old vaccination may be - not that that is a problem for Australians.:evil:

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass