Europe 21/22 Planning

emkae

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 6, 1998
Melbourne
All things going well, I may be spending some time in Zurich in Feb

What are skiing options close to Zurich for a few days?

My accommodation is taken care of in Zurich, but could of course head over to St Anton, Lech, Ischgl etc, but would be nice to save some $$$

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com

My accommodation is taken care of in Zurich, but could of course head over to St Anton, Lech, Ischgl etc, but would be nice to save some $$$
Engelberg is the one I'd target.

But Switzerland and saving $$$ are not in the same ballpark, and getting to the Arlberg from Zurich is not difficult either. Both are around 2hours on the train Google is telling me.

Heinz

Fully vaccinated but nowhere to go
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide

Engelberg is very good. Easy access by train via Luzern.

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Engelberg is the one I'd target.

But Switzerland and saving $$$ are not in the same ballpark, and getting to the Arlberg from Zurich is not difficult either. Both are around 2hours on the train Google is telling me.
Or else Montafon Valley.

Reactions: CarveMan

Jarryboy

One of Us
Jun 4, 2019

Train station in the heart of St Antons is worth its weight in gold. Short walk to lifts and accommodation is

Reactions: DidSurfNowSki

Zeroz

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 8, 2002
Bouvet Island
www.banipal.co.uk
Plenty of ski areas <3 hours from Zurich. Obviously majors like Wengen, Grindelwald, Arosa, Engelberg Titlis, Andermatt, Davos, etc.

Also 20+ smaller, cheaper places like Flumserberg - 1 hr away, 2200m, 17 lifts, 65km of runs, 10 on-mountain restaurants.
Apparently Flumser Härdöpfelriebel is the local specialty.

It's Europe, ski areas are their thing. Start with what sort of skiing you want to do.

Zeroz

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 8, 2002
Bouvet Island
www.banipal.co.uk
Avoiding holiday crowds is a good thing. Saw this chart on a Euro ski site.

1634035924363.png

Last edited:

Hermannator

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2010
The 'Gul

Also Laax.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra

• Sad
Reactions: Rimey

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Good news, but so sad that it's required.

Yep, back in 1989 & 1994 I was able to ski down a long way, had a bit of walk, but then ski out to Les Planards.
Didn't even know about the Montenvers lift. When did that go in?

StashyMcStash

Addicted
Jun 16, 2021
In 04 as a 19 year old on my first OS trip I skied all the way into town and grabbed a beer after a very fun variant of the VB. Sad to think about the cause of these changes indeed

Reactions: Heinz and CarveMan

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
In 04 as a 19 year old on my first OS trip I skied all the way into town and grabbed a beer after a very fun variant of the VB. Sad to think about the cause of these changes indeed

On our trip in 1989 we skied down to Les Planards, got a table and sat in the sun for a couple of beers. I then opted to get up and have a couple of loose runs down Planards, just coz. :)

Farkle Minkus

Hard Yards
Jul 20, 2015
Good to see some European optimism. Fingers crossed life gets back to normal by 2022, Zupspitze glacier and Skicircus is on the radar.

John F

Hard Yards
Jan 28, 2017
Perth
As a retirement trip, we’re booked for Milan arrival on 19/03 with Etihad and we get COVID related cover from the airline only until the 31/3. Have 9 nights in Aosta town and hoping to have 1 day at Pila, 2 each at Courmayeur, La Thuile and Cervinia. If time allows maybe one at a Monterosa area. Rest of the 4 week trip is travelling south by fast train as far as Naples. The train travel and accommodation costs in Italy are astonishingly cheap even in pricier cities like Florence I honestly cannot believe how little we are paying - via AirBnB and Expedia. Aosta itself is next to nothing. We’ve done Chamonix and Zell Am See/Kaprun on previous separate trips. Although a lot of this trip it is flexible/cancellable, bit of a concern that right now the Oz version AZ is not yet approved by European medical association as an acceptable vaccine, and what pre-departure testing is acceptable to transit countries. And how the airports are gonna handle all this extra level of scrutiny and processing. Anyway, it‘s looking like it just might possibly all happen now and am posting here cos I can’t contain my excitement about this trip!

Skifahrer

Hard Yards
Feb 6, 2021
Dahoam
I still owe you a few pics. I was last Saturday for the season opening at Hintertux Gletscher. Excellent snow. There are currently 14 lifts open (but some of them are doubled) and 33 km of slopes.
Unfortunately, it was very crowded until noon. Only then have the race teams stopped. Then it was noticeably emptier.
Overall, however, a dream day and finally again on the skis:

20211009_090434[1].jpg

09:00, no snow in the valley.

20211009_093416[1].jpg

View to the Olperer lifts, 3.250m

20211009_100402[1].jpg

View to the Gefrorene Wand (frozen wall)

20211009_124450[1].jpg

The Dolomites in the background.

20211009_113629[1].jpg

Lärmstange Section 2 (Noise Bar Section 2 Chair Lift)

20211009_161934[1].jpg

Still too little snow for the valley descent.

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
As a retirement trip, we’re booked for Milan arrival on 19/03 with Etihad and we get COVID related cover from the airline only until the 31/3. Have 9 nights in Aosta town and hoping to have 1 day at Pila, 2 each at Courmayeur, La Thuile and Cervinia. If time allows maybe one at a Monterosa area. Rest of the 4 week trip is travelling south by fast train as far as Naples.
Here is the list of issues I have with your plan:

Hyst

Enjoyer
Ski Pass
Nov 23, 2014
Copenhagen
www.ahmadjoudeh.com
Today - many in the north have autumn holidays, and some go skiing. Not me! :cry:

Reactions: Farkle Minkus

Farkle Minkus

Hard Yards
Jul 20, 2015
Today:

Looks nice and dry, great start for locals to get their ski legs. Jealous!

Reactions: Hyst

blueandwhite

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 26, 2016
TQY
Hmm, such a minefield trying to travel so soon after restrictions are lifted here and in Europe. Still not that clear to me if an Australian document outlining our vaccination status will be universally accepted by German, Austrian and Swiss hotels, airports etc. I assume the EU have their own standard vaccination documentation which would be their 'gold standard'. A pdf of our medicare certificates feels like it may not cut it!

Also is anyone aware of the border controls (or lack thereof) between Austria, Germany and Switzerland right now? Given the EU/Schengen status of those countries I assume they used to be essentially unchecked (when driving between countries) but with covid have border checks been put back in place?

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Hmm, such a minefield trying to travel so soon after restrictions are lifted here and in Europe. Still not that clear to me if an Australian document outlining our vaccination status will be universally accepted by German, Austrian and Swiss hotels, airports etc. I assume the EU have their own standard vaccination documentation which would be their 'gold standard'. A pdf of our medicare certificates feels like it may not cut it!

Also is anyone aware of the border controls (or lack thereof) between Austria, Germany and Switzerland right now? Given the EU/Schengen status of those countries I assume they used to be essentially unchecked (when driving between countries) but with covid have border checks been put back in place?

@Skifahrer should be able to answer that. He travelled from Munich to Hintertux last weekend as per above pics.

emkae

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 6, 1998
Melbourne

Hyst

Enjoyer
Ski Pass
Nov 23, 2014
Copenhagen
www.ahmadjoudeh.com

Health is a national jurisdiction- not a Eu or Schengen regulation.
One can easily look up the requirements for the moment.
However a epidemi is dynamic and so are the precautions.

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide

"If you travel overseas, and that overseas country requires proof of your vaccination status, you will have a copy of it," Employment Minister Stuart Robert said.

Fine in theory, but Stuart Robert. What is our level of confidence that this will actually work? Track record?

Reactions: Zeroz

blueandwhite

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 26, 2016
TQY
"If you travel overseas, and that overseas country requires proof of your vaccination status, you will have a copy of it," Employment Minister Stuart Robert said.

Fine in theory, but Stuart Robert. What is our level of confidence that this will actually work? Track record?
Yes, this is what I'm concerned about. It's one thing having something approved by the Australian government. Having the Europeans actually acknowledge it as legitimate when you are there in person is quite another thing!

No doubt there will also be a fee of some sort associated with this to go with the $600 it's costing us just to get tested before we fly out of Australia. Alas, the hoops we now have to jump through...

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Yes, this is what I'm concerned about. It's one thing having something approved by the Australian government. Having the Europeans actually acknowledge it as legitimate when you are there in person is quite another thing!

No doubt there will also be a fee of some sort associated with this to go with the $600 it's costing us just to get tested before we fly out of Australia. Alas, the hoops we now have to jump through...

Was no indication of a charge. In theory it looks like you need to supply passport number on MyGov site, then it is supposed to link it to the certificate with a QR code. But having Stuart Robert being responsible for anything like this is not a good sign.

blueandwhite

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 26, 2016
TQY
Yes the whole thing is a moveable feast with things changing so quickly. I was hopeful the one thing that we could control was being vaccinated and being able to then legitimately prove we were vaccinated. The rest we may have to make up as we go along depending on restrictions and requirements at the time. Would be simpler if we were flying direct into Austria but we are flying into Frankfurt on the way in and Zurich on the way out. Although again that may change as I am unsure if the flights are actually scheduled or if they were more aspirational by the airlines when we booked them!

To further complicate things we had planned our last week in Kleinwalsertal which is still in Austria but only accessible via Germany!

Will be a miracle if we get to actually go but we'll just keep an eye on things over the next little while and see how the new face of international travel shapes up.

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra
Yes the whole thing is a moveable feast with things changing so quickly. I was hopeful the one thing that we could control was being vaccinated and being able to then legitimately prove we were vaccinated. The rest we may have to make up as we go along depending on restrictions and requirements at the time. Would be simpler if we were flying direct into Austria but we are flying into Frankfurt on the way in and Zurich on the way out. Although again that may change as I am unsure if the flights are actually scheduled or if they were more aspirational by the airlines when we booked them!

To further complicate things we had planned our last week in Kleinwalsertal which is still in Austria but only accessible via Germany!

Will be a miracle if we get to actually go but we'll just keep an eye on things over the next little while and see how the new face of international travel shapes up.
You need to remember that tourism is a very major part of the Austrian and German economy. They want to get things rolling again.

Skifahrer

Hard Yards
Feb 6, 2021
Dahoam
In principle, there are no border controls in the Schengen area.
In the context of the refugee crisis, some countries have started to control again. But this only at some borders, such as between Germany and Austria (Kufstein, Salzburg, Passau,...). I have never been stopped so far, that is because of the German license plate.

On the border with Switzerland, there are only regular checks at the larger border crossings.

I do not think that there will be travel restrictions within Europe this winter due to Covid.

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
You need to remember that tourism is a very major part of the Austrian and German economy. They want to get things rolling again.

Absolutely! Winter tourism is critical to Austria, so last season was a disaster.
I think they will be keen to keep things open this season. Any issues will more likely be from the Australian end.

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra
In principle, there are no border controls in the Schengen area.
In the context of the refugee crisis, some countries have started to control again. But this only at some borders, such as between Germany and Austria (Kufstein, Salzburg, Passau,...). I have never been stopped so far, that is because of the German license plate.

On the border with Switzerland, there are only regular checks at the larger border crossings.

I do not think that there will be travel restrictions within Europe this winter due to Covid.
It will be fine for Aussie travelers . Just hire a car in Munich to get through. Worked for me.

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide

I've just done this now. Logon to MyGov and go to the Medicare section. There is an option now to request international certificate. You fill out your passport details and it then presents the certificate as a PDF with the QR code like the example shown. You then need to save the PDF somewhere, otherwise you will have to request again. It doesn't actually get retained in the Medicare app as you still just see option to request. So it appears poorly integrated and rather clunky which is not at all surprising. Test will be to see how/if it actually works.

Reactions: sara777 and emkae

blueandwhite

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 26, 2016
TQY
Yup, just did this too. Seems pretty straightforward. The proof will be in the pudding when it's presented overseas though!

Also just had our flights out to Frankfurt cancelled on us, so the fun begins. No chance of getting replacement points flights now so had to shell out $4k for flights to Munich. On the plus side it saves 3 hours of extra driving on arrival...

Skifahrer

Hard Yards
Feb 6, 2021
Dahoam
Austria: New rules for winter tourism fixed

From November 15, a "3-G" certificate will be mandatory in ski resorts, and an FFP2 mask must be worn in gondolas. Apres-ski will be equated with night catering. However, there are to be no capacity restrictions.

geekman

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Aug 2, 2016
Mornington Peninsula
Austria: New rules for winter tourism fixed

From November 15, a "3-G" certificate will be mandatory in ski resorts, and an FFP2 mask must be worn in gondolas. Apres-ski will be equated with night catering. However, there are to be no capacity restrictions.

Saw this article today, going to need take lots of FFP2 masks unless something changes:

Some jurisdictions require masks inside, some outside, some in venues with more than 100 people and some not while others demand a certain type of mask – such as Bavaria. In nearby Austria, FFP2 masks are required on public transport, in cable cars, supermarkets, chemists, petrol stations and banks. So just exactly what is an FFP2 mask?

Reactions: blueandwhite
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass