the sunny illawarra

Hyst

Enjoyer
Ski Pass
Nov 23, 2014
Copenhagen
www.ahmadjoudeh.com
Now just waiting for the snow.

And the closeset we could get to a onsen-experience was a outside hot tub style :cry_ubb::

Villaret is NOT ski in ski out! But we have the Lobster-lift! :eek:
12509809_1086629341349937_4721809981199262456_n.jpg

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Not sure about the experience up the top with a 3S lift disgorging people at the rate of the Olympique in Val d'Isere, up to 5500/hr depending on the config. Maybe they will just run a few cabins & smaller capacity..

blueandwhite

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 26, 2016
TQY
FFP2 not something that's particularly easily available in Australia from what I can tell. So presumably will need to buy on arrival. I'm guessing when we fly out of Australia we'll need an N95 mask to board and then when we transit in Singapore onto Lufthansa we'll need an FFP2.

As an aside, how can the airlines actually tell if a mask is N95 or FFP2 once it's out of the packaging and being worn? Pretty sure most N95 masks aren't marked as such on the actual mask. Edit - seemingly they are meant to be marked - which suggests to me that there's a lot of masks claiming to be N95 that probably aren't certified...

Heinz

Fully vaccinated but nowhere to go
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Just got an email from Skiline (Austrian company tracking ski vertical from your ski pass) welcoming the 2021/22 season and reminding me that my last day with them was already 938 days ago :cry:. It was at Zauchensee in 2019. Can I still remember it they ask. Yes, I certainly can, a very pleasant spring day. Hopefully I get a chance to resume again, perhaps next March?

Hyst

Enjoyer
Ski Pass
Nov 23, 2014
Copenhagen
www.ahmadjoudeh.com
This. While those places are nice to visit with epic skiing, they are hardly a good way to get a feel for the local culture and will send you broke. I'd be doing a season in a smaller resort for sure.

I'd second Bad Gastein. Wonderful place. Some lovely little swiss resorts at higher altitude which are a bit more snow sure too if there for a season: Andermatt, Engleberg but not sure what their villages are like these days.
It is not that bad if you choose Catered Chalets in France. Of course if you want to stay long time you have to find other option in the valley.

Have a look here:

Free vine, lots of food (and cake), nice Chalets, some with sauna and outside hottop - great way to spoil the wife.
Lunch is almost not needed!

But Brexit could really have a impact on this kind of ski holidays, and I advice caution.

And if you like to cook there are cheaper options like @Hermannator has pointed out:

But i prefer to spoil the wife and like https://paradiski.com/?lang=en better

Let the game begin: https://wepowder.com/en/plan-peisey

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

blueandwhite

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 26, 2016
TQY
God-willing, we will be in Saalbach 15-22 Jan. Lets all hope for good conditions then...

We've already had both sets of flights changed twice and the rental car re-booked twice! Our Lufthansa flights direct from Singapore to Munich got canned (by Lufthansa) and we got re-routed via Frankfurt as well. I can hardly keep up things are changing so regularly.

Reactions: Hyst

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra
God-willing, we will be in Saalbach 15-22 Jan. Lets all hope for good conditions then...

We've already had both sets of flights changed twice and the rental car re-booked twice! Our Lufthansa flights direct from Singapore to Munich got canned (by Lufthansa) and we got re-routed via Frankfurt as well. I can hardly keep up things are changing so regularly.
I will be there 15th- 29th happy do some off piste guidance if you feel like exploring a bit.

Reactions: blueandwhite

DVP

Addicted
Aug 14, 2002
Reading, UK
Going pre-Xmas for the first time in ages which is always a risk... but the high up cams from La Ros are looking good today :)

smitty484

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Apr 27, 2006
London, previously Brisbane
Nice one. I can’t decide where I want to go this season. Have one week booked from work for early Feb, thinking I’ll wait and see where pans out good and go there.

If Champoluc has a good season then high chance I’ll go back there to link up with the same guide from last season (at least they know my skill level and we can get straight into it).

I think I’ll save another week for March and might book something last minute depending on conditions.

Heinz

Fully vaccinated but nowhere to go
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
A German skier fell 8m into a crevasse at Hintertux on Tuesday. Was lucky to not suffer injury and was able to call for rescue on his mobile phone. Happened late afternoon as he followed other tracks and simply underestimated the crevasse danger. Very lucky guy.

DVP

Addicted
Aug 14, 2002
Reading, UK
Nice one. I can’t decide where I want to go this season. Have one week booked from work for early Feb, thinking I’ll wait and see where pans out good and go there.

If Champoluc has a good season then high chance I’ll go back there to link up with the same guide from last season (at least they know my skill level and we can get straight into it).

I think I’ll save another week for March and might book something last minute depending on conditions.
It's my 40th in Feb so we are leaving the kids with the grandparents and going to Aosta for 5 days (a year later than we were supposed to for my wife's!) Will be a couple of days at Pila, a day in Courmayeur and then hopefully doing a heli drop from Gressoney... has been on the cards for about 5 years but lack of snow / too much snow / Covid has killed the idea! Fingers crossed it will finally happen.

Can't go wrong with the Aosta Valley!

Kenzie

Hard Yards
Sep 23, 2019
Going pre-Xmas for the first time in ages which is always a risk... but the high up cams from La Ros are looking good today :)

Check that your insurance and/or ski pass offers to drive you to a higher resort & buy a ski pass if there is a lack of snow.

David-eTO

Addicted
Jan 20, 2020
Canberra
La Via Lattea has announced it will open the 2021-2022 season for the first weekend in December. I hope it is going to be a "normal" season as the last two have hit those resorts very hard.
Best of luck for all those who will able to go there and enjoy those truly amazing places, hoping for everything to go according to plans, snow coverage included

David-eTO

Addicted
Jan 20, 2020
Canberra
It's my 40th in Feb so we are leaving the kids with the grandparents and going to Aosta for 5 days (a year later than we were supposed to for my wife's!) Will be a couple of days at Pila, a day in Courmayeur and then hopefully doing a heli drop from Gressoney... has been on the cards for about 5 years but lack of snow / too much snow / Covid has killed the idea! Fingers crossed it will finally happen.

Can't go wrong with the Aosta Valley!
You will love Courmayeur.

Hyst

Enjoyer
Ski Pass
Nov 23, 2014
Copenhagen
www.ahmadjoudeh.com
A German skier fell 8m into a crevasse at Hintertux on Tuesday. Was lucky to not suffer injury and was able to call for rescue on his mobile phone. Happened late afternoon as he followed other tracks and simply underestimated the crevasse danger. Very lucky guy.

That is going to be expensiv!

blueandwhite

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 26, 2016
TQY
I think it will look much better. To Alpachtal I will also head again this winter.
Really? I've been given the impression the snow could be pretty limited that early in the season but we wanted to go to Alpbach for Christmas for the kids anyway. They said it's the prettiest village in Austria...

But in fairness every Austrian I've ever spoken to says they live in the prettiest village in Austria!

Reactions: Roymond

Skifahrer

Hard Yards
Feb 6, 2021
Dahoam
That is, of course, correct. In December the snow situation is not always good. You can make a day trip to Zell or Kaltenbach. There it is a little higher and the snow is often better.

Reactions: blueandwhite

sn0wbunny29

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 11, 2015
Sydney
Just booked Sydney to UK for February to March with Singapore Airlines. Main reason to go is to see the aged parents but hoping to snag a week in the Alps after all the half term holidays! Fingers are firmly crossed.

Sbooker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 28, 2015
For Austria The pre travel clearance form does not have to be done by annex 1 countries - which includes Australia. Dubai UAE is not on the Annex 1 list
Meaning if you stop over in Dubai you may be subject to restrictions?

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
Hmm to expand on that, typical routes from MEL, SYD would be going to EU via the following:

SIN
HKG
AUH
---- All OK

DXB
---- ?? not on list
Yeah, it's all still pretty fluid at the moment. Even crossing borders within the EU. Makes planning things tricky.

If you're just staying in one country it de-risks things a bit.

Reactions: Hermannator
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass