Europe 21/22 Planning

geekman

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Aug 2, 2016
Mornington Peninsula
Just popping here to answer this question. I went through the same concerns because I am flying on 2 Jan, and so would have needed a test after 4:40pm on New Year’s Eve and it processed over NY Day. Melbourne labs all said they are closed. I subsequently found: https://www.melbourneairport.com.au/Passengers/Passenger-information/COVID-19?viewmode=0

We will likely go into the airport on NY Day and do the test then to lower the risk of something going wrong on flight day.

Hope this helps.
OK if you're near the airport but but a few rapid antigens in the week lead up would do the job too. I'll be rolling the dice with Dubai to avoid this, too much hassle with Singapore

Edit: Good read regarding travel insurance: https://www.australianfrequentflyer.com.au/international-travel-insurance-covid-19

Reactions: sli1

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
Assuming you're in Italy, can you use public transport without a EU Green Pass ? I have the Australian Government 'International COVID-19 Vaccination Certificate equivalent.

https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/destinations/europe/italy#travel says

Austria is much more straightforward https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/destinations/europe/austria#travel

Reactions: sara777

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
I'm guessing this means it's OK ???

• All other foreign citizens vaccinated abroad with the above-mentioned vaccines are entitled to access all venues and services for which a Green Pass is mandatorily required in Italy (see box below). In order to be recognised as equivalent to a Green Pass, the foreign vaccination certificate must contain the following information: the personal details of the holder, the details of the vaccine, the date(s) of administration of the vaccine, the identity of the certificate issuer; and the above information must also be written in Italian, English, French, Spanish or German or, if issued in a different language, must be accompanied by a sworn translation.

Reactions: dawooduck

David-eTO

Addicted
Jan 20, 2020
Canberra
Had a day there a few years ago when we stayed in Aosta. Small area but stunning and well worth the day trip! Apparently you get into the spa for free on your birthday as well so that is my 40th sorted :cool:
Well that is nice and pleasant news! I stopped going to Courmayeur in 1987 and at that time spa were rare.
However, there is something about Courmayeur that will always be an indelible memory: the constant scent of apple pie that permeated the village. I hope it's still there and has not been replaced by diesel fumes

Reactions: DVP and CarveMan

David-eTO

Addicted
Jan 20, 2020
Canberra
Nice. Spewing I missed out on a ski there last year. Was looking forward to checking out another famous area.
It might be early to confirm what the old people feel in their bones but they are already saying it's going to be a season similar to 2018's. I wish i could go.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Zeroz

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 8, 2002
Bouvet Island
www.banipal.co.uk
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...84e41e-45f4-11ec-beca-3cc7103bd814_story.html

Austria took what its leader called the “dramatic” step Monday of implementing a nationwide lockdown for unvaccinated people who haven’t recently had COVID-19, perhaps the most drastic of a string of measures being taken by European governments to get a massive regional resurgence of the virus under control.

The move, which took effect at midnight, prohibits people 12 and older who haven’t been vaccinated or recently recovered from leaving their homes except for basic activities such as working, grocery shopping, going to school or university or for a walk — or getting vaccinated.

The lockdown is initially being imposed until Nov. 24 in the Alpine country of 8.9 million. It doesn’t apply to children under 12 because they cannot yet officially get vaccinated — though the capital, Vienna, on Monday opened up vaccinations for under-12s as part of a pilot project

Officials say police patrols and checks will be stepped up and unvaccinated people can be fined up to 1,450 euros if they violate the lockdown.

Schallenberg added. “In the long term, the way out of this vicious circle we are in — and it is a vicious circle, we are stumbling from wave to lockdown and that can’t carry on ad infinitum — is only vaccination.”

About 65% of Austria’s population is fully vaccinated, a rate Schallenberg described as “shamefully low.”

Austria took what its leader called the “dramatic” step Monday of implementing a nationwide lockdown for unvaccinated people who haven’t recently had COVID-19, perhaps the most drastic of a string of measures being taken by European governments to get a massive regional resurgence of the virus under control.

The move, which took effect at midnight, prohibits people 12 and older who haven’t been vaccinated or recently recovered from leaving their homes except for basic activities such as working, grocery shopping, going to school or university or for a walk — or getting vaccinated. The lockdown is initially being imposed until Nov. 24 in the Alpine country of 8.9 million. It doesn’t apply to children under 12 because they cannot yet officially get vaccinated — though the capital, Vienna, on Monday opened up vaccinations for under-12s as part of a pilot project and reported high demand.

Officials say police patrols and checks will be stepped up and unvaccinated people can be fined up to 1,450 euros ($1,660) if they violate the lockdown. “We really didn’t take this step lightly and I don’t think it should be talked down,” Chancellor Alexander Schallenberg told Oe1 radio. “This a dramatic step — about 2 million people in this country are affected. ... What we are trying is precisely to reduce contact between the unvaccinated and vaccinated to a minimum, and also contact between the unvaccinated.” “My aim is very clearly to get the unvaccinated to get themselves vaccinated and not to lock down the vaccinated,”

Schallenberg added. “In the long term, the way out of this vicious circle we are in — and it is a vicious circle, we are stumbling from wave to lockdown and that can’t carry on ad infinitum — is only vaccination.”

About 65% of Austria’s population is fully vaccinated, a rate Schallenberg described as “shamefully low.”

All students at schools, whether vaccinated or not, are now required to take three COVID-19 tests per week, at least one of them a PCR test. The leader of the far-right opposition Freedom Party vowed to combat the new restrictions by “all parliamentary and legal means we have available.” Herbert Kickl said that “two million people are being practically imprisoned without having done anything wrong.” On Monday, Kickl announced on Facebook that he had tested positive for COVID-19 and must self-isolate for 14 days, so he won’t be able to attend a protest in Vienna planned for Saturday. Authorities are concerned about rising infections and increasing pressure on hospitals. Austria on Monday recorded 894.3 new cases per 100,000 residents over the previous seven days. That is far worse than neighboring Germany, which has set its own pandemic records of late, and has 303 new cases per 100,000 residents over seven days.

Berlin on Monday became the latest of several German states to limit access to restaurants, cinemas, museums and concerts to people who have been vaccinated or recently recovered — shutting out other unvaccinated people, even those who have tested negative. Under-18s are exempt.

On Thursday, the German parliament is due to vote on a new legal framework for coronavirus restrictions drawn up by the parties that are expected to form the country’s next coalition government. Those plans are reportedly being beefed up to allow tougher contact restrictions than originally planned.

Separately, one of the three German parties hoping to take office next month said they will consider introducing a vaccine mandate in some areas, a step that officials so far have balked at. “We will need compulsory vaccination ... in nursing homes, in day care centers and so on,” said the Greens’ parliamentary group leader, Katrin Goering-Eckardt. Germany has struggled to bring new momentum to its vaccination campaign, with just over two-thirds of the population fully vaccinated, and is trying to ramp up booster shots.

Outgoing Chancellor Angela Merkel issued a new appeal Saturday for holdouts to get vaccinated. “Think about it again,” she said. The country’s disease control center called last week for people to cancel or avoid large events. To Germany’s west, the Netherlands on Saturday night implemented a partial lockdown that is to run for at least three weeks, forcing bars and restaurants to close at 8 p.m. In the northern Dutch city of Leeuwarden, hundreds of young people gathered in a central square to protest the restrictions, setting off fireworks and holding flares, before riot police moved in to push the protesters out.

The Austrian government’s next move may well be to tighten the screws.
Health Minister Wolfgang Mueckstein told ORF television that he wants to discuss further coronavirus restrictions on Wednesday, and said one proposal is limits on going out at night that would also apply to the vaccinated. But Schallenberg sounded more cautious.
“Of course I don’t rule out sharpening” the measures, he said, but he indicated that he doesn’t expect restrictions on bars and nighclubs at present."

blueandwhite

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 26, 2016
TQY
Hopefully (from a rather selfish perspective) this wave in Europe will peak and start to drop before we arrive in late December. The Austrians seem to give massive sway to vaccination (over testing) in terms of what you can and can't do whilst staying there. Whilst my wife and I are both double jabbed the kids are obviously not - and we see them as the most likely pathway for covid to screw up the trip.

Will be taking kids out of their last week of school/kinder to avoid any chance of them being a PCC if one of their classmates test positive. Wish we could get them vaccinated but obviously it's not to be. Wife will get her booster next week and I miss out on a booster by four days annoyingly - and at the moment they ain't flexible about it. Whilst it's more expensive I am happy to be going out through Singapore as both of the long distance tin cans we will fly in will effectively have everyone on board recently tested negative. Not foolproof but better than no-one being tested at all...

Interesting that Schallenberg describes Austria's vaccination rate as shameful. Australia is only just ahead of that Austrian number by my reckoning.

Reactions: elSpike

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
Hopefully (from a rather selfish perspective) this wave in Europe will peak and start to drop before we arrive in late December. The Austrians seem to give massive sway to vaccination (over testing) in terms of what you can and can't do whilst staying there. Whilst my wife and I are both double jabbed the kids are obviously not - and we see them as the most likely pathway for covid to screw up the trip.

Will be taking kids out of their last week of school/kinder to avoid any chance of them being a PCC if one of their classmates test positive. Wish we could get them vaccinated but obviously it's not to be. Wife will get her booster next week and I miss out on a booster by four days annoyingly - and at the moment they ain't flexible about it. Whilst it's more expensive I am happy to be going out through Singapore as both of the long distance tin cans we will fly in will effectively have everyone on board recently tested negative. Not foolproof but better than no-one being tested at all...

Interesting that Schallenberg describes Austria's vaccination rate as shameful. Australia is only just ahead of that Austrian number by my reckoning.
Different set of circumstances between us and Europe. They got hit way harder than us at the start of this pandemic. We've been relatively lucky in comparison.

elSpike

I am a Meat Popsicle
Ski Pass
Jul 28, 2015
Whilst it's more expensive I am happy to be going out through Singapore as both of the long distance tin cans we will fly in will effectively have everyone on board recently tested negative. Not foolproof but better than no-one being tested at all...
I live here, but I would be doing the same thing. Sitting in a giant sky bus with a couple of hundred people who are vaccinated and recently tested is just that little bit more piece of mind. We are lucky in that our kids are 16&13 so are fully vaccinated and we will be eligible for booster about 8 days before we depart.

Reactions: blueandwhite

David-eTO

Addicted
Jan 20, 2020
Canberra
Another update from Sestriere for the incoming season; I'm sorry i cannot do anything better than posting pictures.

On the other hand, it seems Valle d'Aosta is experiencing a surge in COVID related infections.

IMG-20211118-WA0002.jpeg

IMG-20211118-WA0004.jpeg

Reactions: DidSurfNowSki

DVP

Addicted
Aug 14, 2002
Reading, UK
As it is only 4 weeks till La Rosiere I have thought of an issue which I can't find the answer to...

To enter France I don't need to take a test. But since I will have been in the UK in the last 14 days, I will need to take a test within 48 hours of entering Italy. So if we ski over to La Thuile I guess that means we need to take a test. But as we would be staying in France each night I guess I would need a test every day if we planned on skiing to Italy? At about £20 a pop this could add up!

(Anyone going to Zermatt could have the same issue, though I assume people coming from Australia probably don't have as strict rules?)

Sbooker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 28, 2015
As it is only 4 weeks till La Rosiere I have thought of an issue which I can't find the answer to...

To enter France I don't need to take a test. But since I will have been in the UK in the last 14 days, I will need to take a test within 48 hours of entering Italy. So if we ski over to La Thuile I guess that means we need to take a test. But as we would be staying in France each night I guess I would need a test every day if we planned on skiing to Italy? At about £20 a pop this could add up!

(Anyone going to Zermatt could have the same issue, though I assume people coming from Australia probably don't have as strict rules?)
There is no actual border crossing as such. Just a sign.

27B28580-DD06-421F-ABBF-8F935C7134ED.jpeg

Reactions: CarveMan and sli1

DVP

Addicted
Aug 14, 2002
Reading, UK
There is no actual border crossing as such. Just a sign.

27B28580-DD06-421F-ABBF-8F935C7134ED.jpeg
Oh yes I realise that, have been there a few times. But..... haven't been there in the Covid age hence the question. Not sure how they are going to police the border now? If you need to present a green pass to show on lifts in Italy, and they get wind that we are from the UK, would we then need to prove a negative test?

I am sure all will be revealed before we get there! Chances are there won't be enough snow for the link to be open anyway...

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Oh yes I realise that, have been there a few times. But..... haven't been there in the Covid age hence the question. Not sure how they are going to police the border now? If you need to present a green pass to show on lifts in Italy, and they get wind that we are from the UK, would we then need to prove a negative test?

I am sure all will be revealed before we get there! Chances are there won't be enough snow for the link to be open anyway...
Maybe ask on Snowheads, they should be up with the latest info.

Reactions: DVP

sara777

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2008
Sydney
Travel through Europe will be rather complicated over the next few months I am afraid. Glad I decided to wait until next year..

Reactions: dawooduck

blueandwhite

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 26, 2016
TQY
Well the full lockdown in Austria makes things interesting... expected to lift before we head over but doesn't inspire confidence in a six week stay. Got to feel for the tourism sector over there who I assume must shut down again, what a nightmare for them.

Reactions: sara777 and Sbooker

elSpike

I am a Meat Popsicle
Ski Pass
Jul 28, 2015
We require medically conducted ART or PCR pre departure and on arrival tests. The $ add up.
The price for on arrival testing has dropped from SGD$160 to SGD$125. Anyone who has already pre-paid will get a refund shortly.

As of 18 Nov 2021 0000hrs, the price of the Arrival COVID-19 Test has been reduced to $125 (including GST), from $160 (including GST). As you previously paid the original price ($160 per test) for your Arrival COVID-19 Test [Order #xxxxxxxxxx] to be taken after 18 Nov 2021 0000hrs, we have refunded you $35 for the difference between the original price ($160) and the new price ($125) of each test.

Heinz

Fully vaccinated but nowhere to go
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
It looks like, that ski resort in Austria will be still open, but restaurants and hotels will close tomorrow, monday.

This seems to be saying the much the same thing, although still not totally clear. Suggests ski lifts can operate under 2G rule and masks. Meanwhile sporting events like football, tennis can continue without spectators.

Skifahrer

Hard Yards
Feb 6, 2021
Dahoam
Several high-altitude ski resorts in Austria are reopening: Kitzsteinhorn, Mölltal Glacier and Stubai Glacier are back in operation as of Tuesday, November 23. 2G verification, FFP2 masks and distance rules apply. Partial take-away is offered at the closed restaurants. On the Dachstein glacier and also on the Resterhöhe in Kitzbühel, the lifts have even been restarted this morning. In Schladming, daily operations will be restarted on Friday, 26.11., on the Planai.

sn0wbunny29

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 11, 2015
Sydney
Quick question, I'm having to fly back to UK on Friday (unplanned, 95 yr old dad in hospital, not good) with Emirates. Am I reading it right that I don't need to have a pre departure pcr test to transit through Dubai? I've got my day 2 test being sent to my mum's but I don't think I need a test for Dubai. If anyone has been this route and could let me know I'd be most grateful. A bit sleep deprived and don't want to be delayed at the airport! TIA!

bluestick

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2005
northern rivers
Sorry about your Dad. We fly to uk with Emirates in a week and a half and understand the requirements exactly as you have stated. No need for test for Dubai transit, need to book test in uk. Get Aus international vax certificate.

Reactions: sn0wbunny29

sn0wbunny29

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 11, 2015
Sydney
Sorry about your Dad. We fly to uk with Emirates in a week and a half and understand the requirements exactly as you have stated. No need for test for Dubai transit, need to book test in uk. Get Aus international vax certificate.
Thanks for the reassurance. I was just having a little panic, feeling very de skilled on the flying front! Got my day 2 test and my international vax certificate sorted. There's even a lab close to my parents that do the return pcr test so all sorted there. Just need Dad to hang on!
Emirates were great getting my flights together. I had a covid cancelled flight on hold which they transferred and at no extra charge even though the new flight is about 3 times as much as I paid (I'd got a really cheap sale bargain) and free seat selection. Now to get my winter clothes out of store.

Reactions: sara777

sara777

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2008
Sydney
Thanks for the reassurance. I was just having a little panic, feeling very de skilled on the flying front! Got my day 2 test and my international vax certificate sorted. There's even a lab close to my parents that do the return pcr test so all sorted there. Just need Dad to hang on!
Emirates were great getting my flights together. I had a covid cancelled flight on hold which they transferred and at no extra charge even though the new flight is about 3 times as much as I paid (I'd got a really cheap sale bargain) and free seat selection. Now to get my winter clothes out of store.
All the best for your travel and to your dad! Will be interested to know how the transit in Dubai went..

DVP

Addicted
Aug 14, 2002
Reading, UK
Sorry that you are having to make the trip in difficult circumstances :-( From https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/help/covid-19/dubai-travel-requirements/tourists/ it looks like you are correct for transiting.

As for the UK, don't forget to do your passenger locator form 48 hours before you arrive in the UK. You might need it to check in in Australia as well. It is pretty self explanatory but you will need details of your flights etc as well as the code you should have been emailed for your day 2 test: https://www.gov.uk/provide-journey-contact-details-before-travel-uk

Reactions: sn0wbunny29

DVP

Addicted
Aug 14, 2002
Reading, UK
The day 2 test is such a scam, I didn’t even bother last time but my gf did and they sent her the exact same test we get for free from the NHS
Agreed that it's a scam, no one checks you have done it! When you say you didn't bother do you mean you just didn't do it? Or didn't order it? If the latter how did you complete your form?

smitty484

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Apr 27, 2006
London, previously Brisbane
I didn’t even order it, just used an old number on the form. It actually came about because one trip my gf ordered the tests but when we got them at home (neighbour picked them up for us) realised she had ordered one instead of two. So I couldn’t do anything, used an old number and nobody ever followed up.

I have mates who work in the track and trace teams and said that they’re so stretched nobody checks anything.

Instead I just do a free NHS test I have at home, but I’m also triple jabbed so no issues really.

Reactions: DVP and MarzNC

Skifahrer

Hard Yards
Feb 6, 2021
Dahoam
Ischgl plans the season opening on Friday, 03.12. Unlike Ischgl, in Samnaun the hotels and restaurants are open. I will be there over the weekend :)

Reactions: Hermannator

sn0wbunny29

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 11, 2015
Sydney
Smooth check in at Sydney. There's a desk you go to first where my vaccination certificate and personal locator form were checked, then normal check in. Security was a breeze with no waiting and I was encouraged to take my time. Still very little open so glad I bought some snacks with me and so few people about for a Friday night. Hope Dubai is as easy!!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass