Europe January/February 2023 - advice needed.

Sbooker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 28, 2015
Sorry for what will be a rambling post.
We've skied and holidayed in Europe in the past so we have the basics under control. Just after some specifics if anyone cares to input.
My daughter and her bestie are finishing school this year. They have been enthusiastically studying French since year 7. I told them a number of years ago I would take them to France at the end of year 12 if they continued to love their French studies. They're doing very well and are busting to use their second language skills in real world situations. So at great expense to the management myself, my wife, our daughter and her mate and my 15 year old son and his mate are wheels up on January 3. Has anyone had to buy 6 return airfares to Europe in school holidays before? Yikes.
Anyway we fly into Paris for a couple of days and then will take the train to Bourg Saint Maurice. We'll be based in Les Arcs 1800. I opted for 2 apartments for comfort and so the adults could avoid being kept awake by energetic teens. The modest self catering apartments are right on snow and cost under $100aud per night per apartment. (We stayed in the same thing same location in March just gone and it's nice comfortable accommodation - amazing for the price).
The two ring ins have never seen snow. They are self proclaimed snow boarders apparently. I'll have them in lessons for the for the first week obviously. My kids are accomplished skiers but are going to have a crack at snowboarding for that first week so they can hang with their mates. Hopefully the ring ins are up speed by the end of the first week so we can do a few day excursions to the surrounding ski hills (Tignes/Val D'Isere, 3 Valleys, La Rosiere/La Thuille) over the remaining 10 days we will be in that location. My wife intends on taking the girls for a train trip to stay overnight in Lyon so they can experience another French city. We'll also do a day trip to the town of Chambery for a break from skiing one of the other days.

Now the question. I'm in real estate and I expect January next year will be pretty damn quiet in real estate land so I am going to extend the trip for a couple of weeks. My wife and son will return as planned as my son will have to start school but the two teen girls will have time before Uni starts so they'll stay on.
Being a ski addict I want to spend the remaining time in Europe skiing. I know my daughter will be fine with that too. My worry is her friend won't love the snowboarding thing as much as we do. So I'm trying to think of destinations that are easy to access skiing by public transport but also easy to access other tourist/city things by public transport. So far I've come up with Oulx in Italy (close to Via Lattea but also a short distance to Turin and Briancon). There's also Innsbruck for the surrounding ski hills by bus but also for the town itself. Innsbruck is also a day trip (albeit a long one) from Salzburg and Munich by train. Bolzano in Italy too I guess). I know Chamonix is an hour by bus from Geneva but is there anything else close by that is easy to get to? Annecy?

The last two weeks after my wife returns home I hope to be spent at two different locations - a week in each.

A couple of notes. I'm a relative tight arse so I can't see Switzerland working for us. I have a preference for being able to ski off piste if conditions allow and will be open to hiring a guide. Somewhere completely piste focused is (like to Dolomites) is probably not a great option.

Thanks in advance.

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
I have a preference for being able to ski off piste if conditions allow and will be open to hiring a guide.
Go to Cham and join the guided groups. It's a blast and great value.

I've skied plenty with a private guide, but also done lots of days with groups if I was in town on my own and had a really good time. Obviously not as efficient or spectacular as with a private but still excellent value and you meet really interesting people as well. They will drive you all over the place as well, into Italy or down to Megeve etc, not sure if they go as far as Verbier.

Reactions: Sbooker
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Sbooker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 28, 2015
Cham suitable for the young lady that possibly may not love to ski like we do? Any interesting day trips close by? Is there a bus to Aosta or Annecy.

CarveMan

Tremendous Slouch
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Cham suitable for the young lady that possibly may not love to ski like we do? Any interesting day trips close by? Is there a bus to Aosta or Annecy.
Cham is fantastic for non-skiers as the town is huge. There's definitely a bus to Courmayeur and the train goes down to St Gervais and I'm sure you can connect to Annecy from there. And it goes to Martigny in the other direction, very spectacular journey.

Reactions: Sbooker

TOFF

Your face is my case
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2004
Sorry for what will be a rambling post.
We've skied and holidayed in Europe in the past so we have the basics under control. Just after some specifics if anyone cares to input.
My daughter and her bestie are finishing school this year. They have been enthusiastically studying French since year 7. I told them a number of years ago I would take them to France at the end of year 12 if they continued to love their French studies. They're doing very well and are busting to use their second language skills in real world situations. So at great expense to the management myself, my wife, our daughter and her mate and my 15 year old son and his mate are wheels up on January 3. Has anyone had to buy 6 return airfares to Europe in school holidays before? Yikes.
Anyway we fly into Paris for a couple of days and then will take the train to Bourg Saint Maurice. We'll be based in Les Arcs 1800. I opted for 2 apartments for comfort and so the adults could avoid being kept awake by energetic teens. The modest self catering apartments are right on snow and cost under $100aud per night per apartment. (We stayed in the same thing same location in March just gone and it's nice comfortable accommodation - amazing for the price).
The two ring ins have never seen snow. They are self proclaimed snow boarders apparently. I'll have them in lessons for the for the first week obviously. My kids are accomplished skiers but are going to have a crack at snowboarding for that first week so they can hang with their mates. Hopefully the ring ins are up speed by the end of the first week so we can do a few day excursions to the surrounding ski hills (Tignes/Val D'Isere, 3 Valleys, La Rosiere/La Thuille) over the remaining 10 days we will be in that location. My wife intends on taking the girls for a train trip to stay overnight in Lyon so they can experience another French city. We'll also do a day trip to the town of Chambery for a break from skiing one of the other days.

Now the question. I'm in real estate and I expect January next year will be pretty damn quiet in real estate land so I am going to extend the trip for a couple of weeks. My wife and son will return as planned as my son will have to start school but the two teen girls will have time before Uni starts so they'll stay on.
Being a ski addict I want to spend the remaining time in Europe skiing. I know my daughter will be fine with that too. My worry is her friend won't love the snowboarding thing as much as we do. So I'm trying to think of destinations that are easy to access skiing by public transport but also easy to access other tourist/city things by public transport. So far I've come up with Oulx in Italy (close to Via Lattea but also a short distance to Turin and Briancon). There's also Innsbruck for the surrounding ski hills by bus but also for the town itself. Innsbruck is also a day trip (albeit a long one) from Salzburg and Munich by train. Bolzano in Italy too I guess). I know Chamonix is an hour by bus from Geneva but is there anything else close by that is easy to get to? Annecy?

The last two weeks after my wife returns home I hope to be spent at two different locations - a week in each.

A couple of notes. I'm a relative tight arse so I can't see Switzerland working for us. I have a preference for being able to ski off piste if conditions allow and will be open to hiring a guide. Somewhere completely piste focused is (like to Dolomites) is probably not a great option.

Thanks in advance.
Sounds awesome.
Can you share link for the accom you’ve booked?
I’m investigating some options and hoping for recommendations.
Thanks

Reactions: chriscross

Sbooker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 28, 2015
Sounds awesome.
Can you share link for the accom you’ve booked?
I’m investigating some options and hoping for recommendations.
Thanks
Just plain old Airbnb.
For example -
Prices have risen a bit over the last few months it seems. But there are dozens to choose from. I’ve gone cheap and cheerful but plenty of fancy stuff available. Importantly they’re about 2 minute walk max before you’re clicking in.

Hermannator

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2010
The 'Gul
Anyway we fly into Paris for a couple of days and then will take the train to Bourg Saint Maurice.
Might be worth a one-way van rental vs 6 train (assuming TGV) fares... Time vs cost I guess
We'll be based in Les Arcs 1800. I opted for 2 apartments for comfort and so the adults could avoid being kept awake by energetic teens. The modest self catering apartments are right on snow and cost under $100aud per night per apartment. (We stayed in the same thing same location in March just gone and it's nice comfortable accommodation - amazing for the price).
Already booked? If not, there could be a case for staying at Arcs 1600...
Being a ski addict I want to spend the remaining time in Europe skiing. I know my daughter will be fine with that too. My worry is her friend won't love the snowboarding thing as much as we do. So I'm trying to think of destinations that are easy to access skiing by public transport but also easy to access other tourist/city things by public transport.
Hmm... Switzerland would fit the bill for skiing near major cities but it's not your preference.

You could consider resorts by:

Geneva
  • Portes du Soleil (e.g. Avoriaz),
  • Grand Massif (Flaine),
  • Megeve
  • and of course Cham
Grenoble (bus connection is probably a bit crappy though)
  • Alpe d'Huez
  • Les Deux Alpes

So far I've come up with Oulx in Italy (close to Via Lattea but also a short distance to Turin and Briancon). There's also Innsbruck for the surrounding ski hills (many) by bus but also for the town itself. Innsbruck is also a day trip (albeit a long one) from Salzburg and Munich by train. Bolzano in Italy too I guess).

I know Chamonix is an hour by bus from Geneva but is there anything else close by that is easy to get to? Annecy?
See above

Thanks in advance.
La Grave (per suggestion of Les 2 Alpes above)
If in Austria, try Saalbach Hinterglemm (also sort of a bet each way with vicinity to Munich/Salzburg)

geeoff

Hard Yards
Sep 22, 2013
Cronulla, NSW
Agree Chamonix would be good choice and I hope Innsbruck turns out to be a good choice as I am going there in January (only visited for the day in the past). If you ok to hire a car and do a bit of driving that would open options like Aosta or even Salzburg and cut down on transfer costs. Some good resorts within an hour or so drive of each. Aosta also has Pila as its local mountain. The girls might be happy to spend a weekend in Milan.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Kenzie

Addicted
Sep 23, 2019
I should expand on why Zermatt & Chamonix.
Both are year round resorts with plenty of non-sliding activities. Both have extensive ski areas with plenty of off-piste potential. Both have iconic mountains to visit. Both are on the rail network.
I think that covers all your bases.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using