Opinion Ever read one of those articles that make you grind your teeth?

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
It actually had some clear and concise info for first timers. Most of us have realised that 'oh shit' there's inadequate storage on the Shinkansen for all our gear.

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
It actually had some clear and concise info for first timers. Most of us have realised that 'oh shit' there's inadequate storage on the Shinkansen for all our gear.
Wasn't talking about the Shinkansen, she was talking about public buses.... In which place in the world would you have room for all that gear on a normal public bus?

Reactions: qwill

ojisan

station master
Ski Pass
Jul 26, 2011
"You won’t find too many foreigners..... We didn’t see many Europeans at all, the whole trip"

ROFL

So the only foreigners in her eyes are europeans... what about the aussies/chinese etc

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
Wasn't talking about the Shinkansen, she was talking about public buses.... In which place in the world would you have room for all that gear on a normal public bus?
Whoops, I did skim read it.

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
Cat cafes.....
The sushi was all raw fish....
Yeah but there’s people who seem to think sushi is all California rolls.

Everyone has something different which is new and exciting. I wouldn’t normally read an article like that in the first place though!

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998

Everyone has something different which is new and exciting. I wouldn’t normally read an article like that in the first place though!
And that's why some people say "the sushi is just the same in Japan", because they only eat nori rolled sushi (California rolls), because they only try those (the cheapest & lowest common denominator)
And sushi is expensive and only eaten for special occasions??? LOL:rolleyes:

Lucky Pete

One of Us
Nov 14, 2014
Hakuba
www.hakubadowntownapartments.com

One new restaurant last year had a pic of California Rolls and a statement that they are the most authentic Japanese restaurant in Hakuba.... Love it when the marketing department in Sydney are running the show.

Donzah

Formerly know as Aldi whorehouse.
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2017
woonona
Discussing it with my wife... Its actually quite good advice as a parent.
With the exception of
"japan is expensive"

Reactions: Sandy and qwill

M_G

M_G_ = Make skiing great again
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myoko.jp
myokoskiresort.com
tenor.gif

ponyrider

Addicted
May 26, 2010
Sydney
So a highly-paid talking head is providing budget-saving tips? Amazeballs. Wonder if she got upset at anyone else wearing a white ski jacket? :p As for safety bars, she would hate the US then as a lot of peeps refuse to pull them down. All-up, she comes across as your typical commercial tv 'personality'. Is a lobotomy a standard pre-req for these people?

absentskier

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
So a highly-paid talking head is providing budget-saving tips? Amazeballs. Wonder if she got upset at anyone else wearing a white ski jacket? :p As for safety bars, she would hate the US then as a lot of peeps refuse to pull them down. All-up, she comes across as your typical commercial tv 'personality'. Is a lobotomy a standard pre-req for these people?
I have never, ever had someone in the US 'refuse' to pull down a safety bar when asked. They often won't use it voluntarily, but to refuse to use it is another thing altogether.

southpaw

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 28, 2018
Canberra
Quick thread summary so far: Lots of people think they are smart because they already know stuff.

Seriously - read the article as though you are totally ignorant, because that is at whom it is directed.
That’s what I did and a couple of things surprised me ahead of my first Japan trip. First the lack of safety bars on some chairs - I had my 6 year slip off a rickety lift without a safety bar at some backwater US resort (Hi Titus Mountain) so that concerns me; and secondly the suggestion not to take your own gear, I thought many people did that and with the transport services pretty easy to do.

absentskier

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
That’s what I did and a couple of things surprised me ahead of my first Japan trip. First the lack of safety bars on some chairs - I had my 6 year slip off a rickety lift without a safety bar at some backwater US resort (Hi Titus Mountain) so that concerns me; and secondly the suggestion not to take your own gear, I thought many people did that and with the transport services pretty easy to do.
Some of the biggest, most popular mountains in the US still have lifts without safety bars. (I know, off topic, sorry.)

Reactions: southpaw

M_G

M_G_ = Make skiing great again
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myoko.jp
myokoskiresort.com
Quick thread summary so far: Lots of people think they are smart because they already know stuff.

Seriously - read the article as though you are totally ignorant, because that is at whom it is directed.

I used to do a bit of travel writing. Gave up years ago when I'd got sick of being offered pittance for stories and/or photos (how about that exposure) and I'd instead see complete bollocks being published. Whilst this is not as bad as some of the rubbish I've seen, you're right,I probably wouldn't mind so much if I did read it as ignorant.

That said, a lot of people hated my writing too!

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
These articles may be aimed at people who are totally ignorant of the content (which is why they're probably reading it in the first place), but if a lot of the content is WRONG, then at least some parts of it are worse than no information at all.

Reactions: skifree
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass