Excursions v T4s v Veloces

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Thomas WHiteside, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Thomas WHiteside

Thomas WHiteside Hard Yards

Hey everyone,

I'm looking to buy a light tele boot to go with my madshus epochs and chilli bindings.

What's the main differences between Scott Excursions and Scarpa T4s?

I currently use a pair of Andrews Clauts which I love, but want something stiffer for downhill skiing.

Also, would either be fine with the chillis?

Finally, I've also seen some garmont veloces for sale in my size, would these be too much for the chilli bindings?

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Renormed
    Ski Pass - Gold

Prob best to move this to BC.

3. skifree

skifree Part of the Furniture
    Moderator Ski Pass - Gold

T4 are smaller, slippers.

4. rowdyflat

rowdyflat Hard Yards

The main point of difference would be what fits comfortably.
    If you have a low volume foot like mine the T4 is the perfect comfortable touring boot.
    Hardly a slipper , you can drive a ski up to 90mm waist in soft snow.
    Excursions IMHO are a bigger volume boot. Veloces are an overkill for those skis.
    BTW my dream touring boot would be a stripped down lighter weight T4 like modern alpine touring boots have become approaching 1 kg.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy Renormed
    Ski Pass - Gold

Yes, fit is critical and they must be tried on. Minor adjustments can be accommodated with the liner.
    Sizing can vary by model and year. Eg. at some time since I went to Scarpa T2Xs, Scarpa widened the last in the forefoot to 102mm in its new boots.

6. rowdyflat

rowdyflat Hard Yards

As Ziggy says there is nothing like a long tour to make boots uncomfortable.
    Mine have 3 cuts in the liners to increase volume slightly even 1-2 mm thickness can make a difference esp on pressure points like lateral ie outside point base of little toe.

7. rols

rols Hard Yards

I did a lot of days skiing skiing Veloces with Chilli bindings, probably broke a cable every 30-40 days and they had horrible rocker launch with the Veloces (needed an angled shim or riser under them, this would be worth doing).
    The Veloces are a decent boot and can be lightened up a bit by removing the cuff lock and some of the associated shell material. This can increase the rearward cuff mobility slightly also, which is good for touring.

8. Thomas WHiteside

Thomas WHiteside Hard Yards

I've also read T4s are torture chambers for your feet.

Is this true?

Are excursions any more comfortable?

9. rowdyflat

rowdyflat Hard Yards

As it says above any boot that is too big or small or the wrong volume for your foot will be a torture chamber .I am fortunate that Scarpas suit my foot , my T4s have done over 80 days and feel completely comfortable with thin socks. I have orthotics / arch supports to stop pronation which can cause rubbing on the inner ankle bone.
    If you dont get sweaty feet or wear tape and they fit well you wont get blisters .
    If you dont want to fiddle with the standard liner you can get custom moulded .
    Boots I buy local so they can be properly fitted.

10. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Mm if you are going to keep the original liner I would buy new. Second hand boots can be torture unless they've been used sparingly. I speak from experience. Second hand Meindel BC boots from the mid 80s.

However, new liners can really transform old boots. My $200 ish Intiution liners have been great in 14 year old Synergys. Better comfort, no rub spots and more support and control. So you could do similar if you were having troubles. Before you check the piggy bank, consider Moulder footbeds too (~ $100 fitted) They also help a lot. And, you can swap them between boots.

I used to rent Velcoces in the late 90s for Kosi BC & Perisher lifts. They were very good overall, much better for lifts than my old leathers. A tad heavy for bc after leather but manageable. For mainly lifts the Vs be a no brainer.

I also own Excursions - they're a great all round lightish boot. You can ski on lifts by cranking up the straps/buckles although a bit light for the job. They'll power smaller/lighter skis better than big burly 100mm waist all terrain boards. So think about your ski choice in the future as well as now.

Never used T4s. They look a bit shorter (lower) than Excursions. Have never been as popular as Excursions. Most older Scarpas are narrow in the foot, so it I'll be hit and miss with fit. I'm wide so Excursions were better.

I hope that helps. I really would factor in some extra $ for liners & footbeds unless they're almost unused.
    Mind you footbeds are great in new boots, you could perhaps drop from the cost equation.

Check the sales of new boots this time of year too. Can sometimes find a great deal by hunting hard!

11. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Mm if you are going to keep the original liner I would buy new. Second hand boots can be torture unless they've been used sparingly. I speak from experience. Second hand Meindel BC boots from the mid 80s.

However, new liners can really transform old boots. My $200 ish Intiution liners have been great in 14 year old Synergys. Better comfort, no rub spots and more support and control. So you could do similar if you were having troubles. Before you check the piggy bank, consider Moulder footbeds too (~ $100 fitted) They also help a lot. And, you can swap them between boots.

I used to rent Velcoces in the late 90s for Kosi BC & Perisher lifts. They were very good overall, much better for lifts than my old leathers. A tad heavy for bc after leather but manageable. For mainly lifts the Vs be a no brainer.

I also own Excursions - they're a great all round lightish boot. You can ski on lifts by cranking up the straps/buckles although a bit light for the job. They'll power smaller/lighter skis better than big burly 100mm waist all terrain boards. So think about your ski choice in the future as well as now.

Never used T4s. They look a bit shorter (lower) than Excursions. Have never been as popular as Excursions. Most older Scarpas are narrow in the foot, so it I'll be hit and miss with fit. I'm wide so Excursions were better.

I hope that helps. I really would factor in some extra $ for liners & footbeds unless they're almost unused.
    Mind you footbeds are great in new boots, you could perhaps drop from the cost equation.

Check the sales of new boots this time of year too. Can sometimes find a great deal by hunting hard!

12. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Apologies all for the !!!!!!! 3x posting. A nut loose on my IPad!! (;-)

13. weerab

weerab One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

I've had Excursions for five years or so and was always getting blisters on the inner heel after an hour or so, it really ruined any long tours. I posted on this forum and someone came up with the idea of using Fixumol tape on the heels before skiing and it has worked a treat. You can buy a long roll of this tape for about $20 but i am sure there are similar products available but this stuff does work.

14. rowdyflat

rowdyflat Hard Yards

As weerab says lots of people get blisters on the medial inner part of the heel but putting tape on preventatively works well.
    Also the more modern free pivot binding stops the boot having to flex so much when touring less work + blisters.

15. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

I concur Leukoblast or similar is the way to go.

Getcthe good stuff yhe wide 50mm roll which should last 1-2 seasons.

It stick & stay well if you get feel perfectly dry (duh!) and round each cnr before applying.

I cut about 20 cm so it covers my heel and extends 5-10 cm on ourside if heel and 10cm in inner. Get it as close to 100% wrinkle free as you can . Esp the main rubbing spots (inner heel).

Neither my SynerG or Excursions rub when I use This method. But start woth the best possible boot/bed/inner you can afford first!

16. rowdyflat

rowdyflat Hard Yards

yep white leukoplast sports tape 50mm it wont stretch but will fit smoothly with a wrapping motion.