Extreme Weather

trappers

Safety not guaranteed
Ski Pass
Jul 28, 1999
An airport
www.owithalinethroughit.com
So I'm currently in Houston.

Yesterday Houston max was ~88F about 6F higher than the highest feb temp on record.
New York area recorded some of the highest temps on record yesterday and then recorded record snowfall depths today

And Perth ... WOW
Highest recorded rainfall for the entire of Feb on record = 47.6mm
Average rainfall for the entire of feb = 8.2mm
Today received 114.4mm!!! Double the highest record for the entire month, and more than 10 times the average for the whole month!! WOW!!

#justsayin

Last edited:

BrianDamage

Hard Yards
Aug 6, 2010
So I'm currently in Houston.

Yesterday Houston max was ~88F about 6F higher than the highest feb temp on record.
New York area recorded some of the highest temps on record yesterday and then recorded record snowfall depths today

And Perth ... WOW
Highest recorded rainfall for the entire of Feb on record = 47.6mm
Average rainfall for the entire of feb = 8.2mm
Today received 114.4mm!!! Double the highest record for the entire month, and more than 10 times the average for the whole month!! WOW!!

#justsayin
The highest rainfall ever for Perth in a day is 120.4 in Feb 1992 so your stats are out a bit.

The top ~5-10 wettest days in Perth have been in Feb.

Still raining today, where has summer gone?

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
Just last month Sydney broke the record for it's hottest overnight minimum on record & recorded the hottest January ever with an average minimum temperature of 21.6C and average maximum of 29.6C

And... Just today, Sydney broke a 121-year-old heat record for the number of summer days above 35C.
As of Friday afternoon, Observatory Hill had exceeded 35 degrees for the tenth time this summer (up to 37.2 degrees as of 2.49pm), breaking the previous record of nine days set in 1895/96.
#climatechange #justsaidit

trappers

Safety not guaranteed
Ski Pass
Jul 28, 1999
An airport
www.owithalinethroughit.com
The highest rainfall ever for Perth in a day is 120.4 in Feb 1992 so your stats are out a bit.

The top ~5-10 wettest days in Perth have been in Feb.

Still raining today, where has summer gone?
Really? I was going by this http://www.weatherzone.com.au/climate/station.jsp?lt=site&lc=9225 which admittedly only has data back to 1994. Maybe they moved the gauge or something? Either way 2x more rain in one day than for the entire of feb for 22 odd years ain't bad!

Darb

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 19, 2002
Perth most of the time
Sure was a lot of rain , bloody gate post at front of my place seems to have started leaning after saturated ground. 300kg wrought iron gate on the lean.

It's unde concrete and paving too, will be an absolute cluster duck to fix.

ScottGN

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 14, 2010
Tāmaki Makaurau - Auckland
@ScottGN might be able to verify, but I believe NZ has seen an extraordinary number of Summer snowfalls over the last month, also.
The number of January snowfalls we've had this year, while numerous, has not been overly unusual. What was remarkable with the January 22nd fall however, was the amount of snow that fell, 30 to 50 cms on the hills around Queenstown. The southern half of the South Island has been stuck in a rather horrible weather zone this summer, squashed between high pressure to the north and low pressure to the south which is generating near constant west-sou-west winds and plentiful rain off the south Tasman Sea. From about Marlborough north hot, drought conditions are worsening on the east coasts of both islands and in the far north.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass