1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

F...... Horses

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Greybeard, Sep 10, 2018.

1. skifree

skifree grey Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

PMG and Ijay like this.
  2. Xplora

Xplora One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I am not sure it is next level nonsense. Think for a moment that NPWS is currently hamstrung with regard to any management options. The last sentence may be the clue to the intention of the sign. "If a horse directly injures, threatens people or causes damage" tell them. Document it. I think it is cunning and would be difficult to argue against taking action if people are getting hurt but anecdotal evidence is not sufficient.

skifree likes this.
  3. zapruda

zapruda One of Us

I understand what you are saying and agree.

I mostly meant its ridiculous we have gotten to this point. The fact that there as so many horses now people have to be warned.

skifree likes this.
  4. Xplora

Xplora One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Prior to the current management plan for horses on BHP, Parks would cull any horse which showed aggression toward people. Consequently most of the horses up there are pretty quiet around people, except for a few mares which have formed up with the little black stallion near Nelse. They are marked for removal anyway, regardless of the result of the Federal Court hearing.

I think the sign also promotes an awareness of the danger, maybe even instills some fear, which then translates to more support to get rid of them. I don't even understand those who ride their own horses among the ferals and want to save them. I know someone who has lost two mares on the High Plains to ferals. Geldings can also be singled out by stallions.

I think public attitudes will change and perhaps the new environment minister will do something positive but for now it is more counting and committees.

skifree, Wally and Charlie like this.