1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Trip Report Falls Ck./ Bogong High Plains XC ski .Windy corner to Langford Gap.4.7.20

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Gold Ski Pass: Silver

I went and XC skied at Falls Creek from Windy Corner and almost made it to Maddison Huts near the Quarry in the Langford Gap vicinity , but I hit turn around o clock at 1300 and skied back. I also hit a rock on the management track that leads to Maddison Huts, which scratched my BC skis.
    :-(
    I was the only person out there , again and I got fresh tracks immediately the day after the July 3 and 4 th snow fall.
    :)
    .It was very slow going in deep fresh dry uncompacted powder snow.

My plan was originally to ski out to Wallace's hut and back but the conditions were very unconsolidated and slow going with deep drifts, hidden hazards and sections of shallow cover along the pole line past the bridge at Langford Gap as well as short daylight hours being a factor for safety .Moreover my XC ski fitness is not that good early in the season.
    It is the back country on the magnificent Bogong High Plains( my favourite place to XC ski) and you take what you get .That said, skiing out towards Wallace's hut either via the aqueduct at Langford Gap or via the pole line will become easier once we get more snow, it becomes packed down and covers the rocks and vegetation better and when some grooming for skaters is done.

I observed that there was no grooming anywhere other than a skidoo groomer for skating from Windy corner almost to The Dam wall.
    That grooming was totally stuffed up very soon by very many snow walkers/numpties in boots.
    :-0.
    Some wind driven drifts on the BHP road were 50 cms deep or more. Some sections were
    5 cms deep ,and in others my skis were totally buried.
    Skiing on wide long Madshus Epoch BC skis was slow going. The POWDER snow balled up under my skis, despite waxing twice on location in the field. I got very little glide even on a short descent along the Paralyser.
    I practised skiing on each leg and almost gliding, just getting my ski legs back.
    I ate lunch at Watchbed creek.
    It started to snow very lightly near Langford Gap and then the sun came out . The wind was VERY COLD.I was wearing two pairs of gloves and a balaclava and I could not feel my hands or face. I must have skied 14 kms or so all up cutting fresh trails the whole way.
    The Nordic Bowl was a sinking festival, with turns and glide not possible.
    The ski from the Nordic bowl to Windy corner can be quick but it was slow and double poling did not generate much speed.My legs were running out of juice anyway.

On arrival back at the car I was spent and happy with the day tour.

The BHP needs another 40 cm to be properly all systems go for ski touring , so that all rocks, bushes etc. are properly buried and compacted. I saw no one else out there other than the snow plough man in the caterpillar tread snow ploughing truck after lunch , flattening out the BHP road cover for possible grooming for skaters.
    I observed the snow line at 900 M at 9 am.Chains were being fitted for all 2WD. Having an AWD car with All Terrain tyres is handy and being able to drive it safely in such conditions is very useful.
    .I observed the road was a bit icy in the morning but it was not too bad on the way back to Mt.Beauty and Myrtleford .
    Indeed it had snowed a lot below Howman's Gap.

Falls Ck., was quiet except for groups of snow ball throwers , snow pedestrians :-0 and hardly any skiers.
    Shostakovich's string quartet's alternating with 50's and 60' Miles Davis
    (croaky Miles Davis voice " Steve Miller is a sorry white as*ed honky M*ther F*cker!) and Melody Gardot 's "My one and only thrill" CD made up my playlist for the drive up and back from Myrtleford
    Photos are coming soon.

Ramshead likes this.
  2. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Driving up to Falls Creek, the morning after the heavy weather passed through.
    Snow and fog on Mt.Buffalo.

Mt.Bogong and The Fainters poke through the mist.
    Bare trees in the Kiewa valley.
    The Tee Mobile.

soza, skifree and Noah like this.
  3. Mister Tee on XC Skis

It must have snowed a lot and been windy the night before.
    Windy Corner to the Dam wall.
    I had to crawl around the locked gate at the dam wall and take my skis off to execute this maneuver .

4. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Fresh tracks. One month ago I skied this way and there was not always enough snow. This time it seemed like there was too much. It was slow going breaking fresh tracks through deep drifts of fresh powder snow. It was a dirty job but somebody had to do it!

Patterns in the snow drifts made by the wind and the powdery dry fresh snow.
    Wax time, again!! . The snow was too deep and too fresh. What crosses I have to bear!! ;-P

Some of the road markers were 3/4 buried!!

skifree and Noah like this.
  5. Mister Tee on XC Skis

My ski Poles sank up to 100 cms in places. I had to lengthen them !.
    The Table out near the Lake was well covered with snow .
    There was NOBODY out there. It was a bit eerie.
    My skiing motto along with "thou shalt rock hop " is "If possible ,ski on fresh snow".

Big drifts and novel wind blown patterns in the snow were hard to capture with a camera without a filter of some sort. I am a wonky point and shoot kind of unit anyway.

6. snowgum

snowgum One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Good pics - much more like winter!

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  7. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Lunch and a drink of water at Watch bed Creek. No one about , no sign of anyone!

"Never ski alone", you saw the sign, you were warned!!

EquatorBunny, Sean Sunley and Noah like this.
  8. Mister Tee on XC Skis

My ski tracks outward bound and homeward bound plus a shot of the snow plough machine track which changed the "untouched snow" vibe . Langford Gap and surrounds.
    Paul's Loop looked like hard work with rock and bushes still exposed.
    The possibility of skiing up to The Park crept into my mind but it seemed to be like a lot of hard work with little downhill reward having tried to ski up and down a bit of the Paralyser. The wind would have been like a deep freeze above the tree line.
    :-0.
    It is not often you can ski down that rocky track to the hut at Langford Gap. Saturday was the day. There was enough snow to ski the whole way from the BHP Road to the Hut.It was 1245 pm when I reached Langford Gap hut. Such slow going in deep heavy snow but the scenery was very good.
    The BHP road Bridge at Langford gap had so much wind driven snow on it. It was interesting to ski on.I 'll try to ski further next time , either to Maddison's hut or Wallace's hut.
    When skiing on my own I always carry :a PLB; GPS; Map; compass; emergency space blanket bivvy bag shaped like a hooded sleeping bag; Mobile phone; whistle ;extra food and water ; ski wax ; spare ski gloves; goggles; pattern base de icer ; Gore-Tex over mittens and an extra woolly hat.

Skiing back on the caterpillar track imprint was not ideal but the machine did pack the track down a bit.

#8 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jul 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    Sean Sunley likes this.
  9. MIROU

MIROU Hard Yards

No comments, just thank you for all the photos ...... seeing all this after so many years ... is ....pathetic ! MIROU !

10. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Driving down the hill

skifree likes this.
  11. skifree

skifree A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Thanks for the report, gives a good indication of conditions.:):cool::thumbs:

Some nice and good pics and they tell the story well:thumbs:, but really could do with some more rigorous culling of out of focus and way out of exposure jobbies and some persuading your camera to focus on your subject. :)

12. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Sorry Sir, It was cold and my hands were not working too well. I will try to do better next time. ;-P

#12 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jul 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    skifree likes this.