Trip Report Falls Creek 13th-20th July 2014

Amelia1810

One of Us
Nov 18, 2013
Melbourne
Finally, after six months of waiting, our first trip to Falls was upon us! Although three weeks earlier stress had set in that there'd be no snow. But phew luckily the snow arrived before we did! We went over with FallsBus (returning to Melb for an overnight stay and flight home) and have to say all crew/drivers were very friendly and easy going.

We had eight full days in the resort and five of those were bluebird. Couldn't have asked for a better week! It snowed a few times whilst we were there and that was our first time seeing snow fall.

Sunday (13th) we only skiied the arvo and it really was just getting our ski legs back. Went up Falls Express and for a ride on the carpet haha, before moving onto Drovers. Not a single patch of dirt to be seen anywhere in the resort!

From Drovers (Monday morning):

Monday (Day 2/July 14th) morning was icy at first and we moved around a bit more. Nice and bluebird again. Getting over to Ruined Castle but maybe wasn't quite up to it yet and fell twice lol. A note that Father Fosters is signed as a black up top but on the trail map it's a blue. Either way, we didn't try it. We did go on our first poma though. The Monkey Bar - not nearly as hard as I thought. Didn't even stack it! Actually ended up quite liking them and eventually had a go on the Lakeside one too.

Top of Ruined area:

Ooops!

Tuesday (Day 3/July 15th) the snow had set in! Pretty cool for us and we were heading out in it anyway. Outer layers got pretty wet but nothing to soak through. Visibility wasn't great but we tried out new stuff. I now know I need to invest in some mittens after just buying some nice gloves. Fingers were frozen even with an under glove. We saw a bunny from Falls Express.

Snowing!

From Drovers again:

Visibility not great:

Wednesday (Day 4/July 16th) we had a day off, was rather foggy and we went to build a snowman and a wander over to the Bowl (gee that's a long walk).

Thursday (Day 5/July 17th) we went for a try on Lakeside run but it was super powdery (okay, for us it was!) and I had a stack and lost my ski and then it went sliding down the hill - provided a funny video though. Visibility wasn't great.

Is this meant to happen? Lol:

Damn I'm lucky I have someone to give me a tow!

Had pizza from The Man, was really nice:

Friday (Day 6/July 18th) wind hold but a lovely bluebird. So we ended up taking the whole day off since lifts didn't open until gone 1pm. Went for a toboggan for a bit of fun. Did a back flip.

Saturday (Day 7/July 19th) wind hold again but only until about 10am. Huge queue for Falls Express because of hold (apparently it went all the way up to Pretty Valley but we were there earlier to beat that). Once up, everything began to open and all was sweet.

Top of Ruined again:

Forgotten where this was:

Sunday (Day 8/July 20th) our last day! Holiday was over so fast! We seriously wish we could come up more often but coming from Adelaide it's just so far and a big trip just to get there, especially when it's only the two of us. It was another lovely bluebird and couldn't have asked for nicer weather. Not a breath of wind. We tried out Last Hoot very early in the morning and it had perfect corduroy and we thoroughly enjoyed it. We popped over some jumps in the Drovers terrain park for a bit of fun! Before finally having one last run on Wombats back up and down the home trail. We got the bus back at 5:30pm and eventually got back to Melbourne where we stayed for the night and a flight out early the next morning. We seriously cannot wait to move closer to the snow eventually!

All up, we absolutely loved Falls. We'd only been to Buller and definitely prefer Falls (although the snow was certainly in favor this year). Village is lovely and as another thread says, the lifties are all so nice. Ski in/ski out was fun; couldn't think of a better morning commute to the lifts! We will definitely be back to get some more exploring done. Some favourite trails were Highway 83, Corkscrew Gully (can't find this listed on the trail map?) Wombats Ramble for a bit of fun, Last Hoot and the home trail from Eagle chair via shortcut and back to Eagle or the lodges. Anyway, here's some photos to finish off.

Last Hoot Sunday morning:

Poses for photos lol:

Fave trail home!

Loving it!

Simply perfect:

Thanks Falls!

Last edited:

Amelia1810

One of Us
Nov 18, 2013
Melbourne
My boyfriend has also put together a Wombats Ramble video. Shows progress down the run across the different days and conditions. Pretty cool!

Will be making more videos with all our footage too.

Last edited:

OzSkier

One of Us
Jun 8, 1999
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Finally, after six months of waiting, our first trip to Falls was upon us! Although three weeks earlier stress had set in that there'd be no snow. But phew luckily the snow arrived before we did! We went over with FallsBus (returning to Melb for an overnight stay and flight home) and have to say all crew/drivers were very friendly and easy going.

We had eight full days in the resort and five of those were bluebird. Couldn't have asked for a better week! It snowed a few times whilst we were there and that was our first time seeing snow fall.

Sunday (13th) we only skiied the arvo and it really was just getting our ski legs back. Went up Falls Express and for a ride on the carpet haha, before moving onto Drovers. Not a single patch of dirt to be seen anywhere in the resort!

From Drovers:

Monday (Day 2/July 14th) morning was icy at first and we moved around a bit more. Nice and bluebird again. Getting over to Ruined Castle but maybe wasn't quite up to it yet and fell twice lol. A note that Father Fosters is signed as a black up top but on the trail map it's a blue. Either way, we didn't try it. We did go on our first poma though. The Monkey Bar - not nearly as hard as I thought. Didn't even stack it! Actually ended up quite liking them and eventually had a go on the Lakeside one too.

Top of Ruined area:

Ooops!

Tuesday (Day 3/July 15th) the snow had set in! Pretty cool for us and we were heading out in it anyway. Outer layers got pretty wet but nothing to soak through. Visibility wasn't great but we tried out new stuff. I now know I need to invest in some mittens after just buying some nice gloves. Fingers were frozen even with an under glove. We saw a bunny from Falls Express.

Snowing!

From Drovers again:

Visibility not great:

Wednesday (Day 4/July 16th) we had a day off, was rather foggy and we went to build a snowman and a wander over to the Bowl (gee that's a long walk).

Thursday (Day 5/July 17th) we went for a try on Lakeside run but it was super powdery (okay, for us it was!) and I had a stack and lost my ski and then it went sliding down the hill - provided a funny video though. Visibility wasn't great.

Is this meant to happen? Lol:

Damn I'm lucky I have someone to give me a tow!

Had pizza from The Man, was really nice:

Friday (Day 6/July 18th) wind hold but a lovely bluebird. So we ended up taking the whole day off since lifts didn't open until gone 1pm. Went for a toboggan for a bit of fun. Did a back flip.

Saturday (Day 7/July 19th) wind hold again but only until about 10am. Huge queue for Falls Express because of hold (apparently it went all the way up to Pretty Valley but we were there earlier to beat that). Once up, everything began to open and all was sweet.

Top of Ruined again:

Forgotten where this was:

Sunday (Day 8/July 20th) our last day! Holiday was over so fast! We seriously wish we could come up more often but coming from Adelaide it's just so far and a big trip just to get there, especially when it's only the two of us. It was another lovely bluebird and couldn't have asked for nicer weather. Not a breath of wind. We tried out Last Hoot very early in the morning and it had perfect corduroy and we thoroughly enjoyed it. We got the bus back at 5:30pm and eventually got back to Melbourne where we stayed for the night and a flight out early the next morning. We seriously cannot wait to move closer to the snow eventually!

All up, we absolutely loved Falls. We'd only been to Buller and definitely prefer Falls (although the snow was certainly in favor this year). Village is lovely and as another thread says, the lifties are all so nice. Ski in/ski out was fun; couldn't think of a better morning commute to the lifts! We will definitely be back to get some more exploring done. Some favourite trails were Highway 83, Corkscrew Gully (can't find this listed on the trail map?) Wombats Ramble for a bit of fun, Last Hoot and the home trail from Eagle chair via shortcut and back to Eagle or the lodges. Anyway, here's some photos to finish off.

Last Hoot Sunday morning:

Poses for photos lol:

Fave trail home!

Loving it!

Simply perfect:

Thanks Falls!

Absolutely delightful post @Amelia1810. Thanks very much and glad you both had a great time. I think that area where you forgot where you were is to the right of Scott's chair. I'm heading up with friends on Saturday for a week so looking forward to that.

Think snow :)

Scott No Mates

One of Us
Sep 14, 2003
Sydney - LNS
The best way to make your FC trip last longer is to stay 2 weeks. :woohoo:

And if all else fails, come back in September during white space for half price. :D

mick chopps

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jun 22, 2006
The barber's chair
Wow, yeah you're right. I've never seen Rapunzels so......smooth. Boy there must be a lot of snow.

Think snow :)
I can't remember seeing it (entire mountain) so full this time of July in 10 years. Even with depths pushing 2m in August 2012 the front side wasn't as filled in as it is now. All the snow came in such a hurry that everything has an even depth and is filled in nicely. The creek under FX lift was the thing that blew me away most. Totally covered all the way down, no holes or bushes/rocks poking through anywhere.

Amelia1810

One of Us
Nov 18, 2013
Melbourne
Scott - We'd stay for two weeks if we could for sure. And were/are considering a September trip, but the bank account isn't keen. ;)

Mick - Didn't even know there was a creek under FX!

And thanks everyone for clarifying which run I'd forgotten! Glad you liked the photos. :D

mick chopps

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jun 22, 2006
The barber's chair
Mick - Didn't even know there was a creek under FX!
Yep usually a small creek that runs from just under the village access trail to the aqueduct. Not usually a raging torrent but normally a hole or two to be dodged and some rocks and shrubs to avoid, especially this time of year. Generally the base depth is also a good bit lower on the front side also as the sunny aspect see's more snow melt. But at the moment the depth right across the mountain is very consistent, right down to the bottom of Inter.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

dickyknees63

Hard Yards
Aug 22, 2006
Adelaide
oruMSo
Have just returned the kid's hire gear after a great week at Falls. The weather is a bit soggy right now but boy have we been spoiled. Perfect snow and perfect bluebird weather the whole week. Most years I have travelled up to FC the Maze area has been closed, but not this year. I got to ski runs which had only ever been names on a map (Yeti, Black & Blue, Valley of the Moon, Rollercoaster) with many of these actually groomed! My 11 year old ski'd her first black runs this year and my 13 yo son switched to the dark side - yes, he has now got the board bug after 10 years on planks. Thanks very much to Scott from FC ski school via the USA. He took my lad for what was to be a 2 hr group beginner class, but ended up being a full day private lesson! A group class of one. Level 1 to Level 5 in a day! You get lucky sometimes. Great tuition. Hopefully the fireworks are still on for tonight and then it's back to Adelaide til next time.

Reactions: Edgecrusher
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass