1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Falls Creek 2013 - Trip Reports, Pic & Conditions

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by currawong, May 14, 2013.

1. wannaski

wannaski One of Us

Thanks Hully , I was thinking the same about sept 2011 . We still had a great time skiing and it didn't affect anyone other than me not being able to ski the whole mountain. Will keep everything crossed !

#551 wannaski, Aug 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2013
  2. fx 140 ski freek

fx 140 ski freek Hard Yards

Spent Wednesday and Thursday up at falls. Wednesday ,
    Sunny,cloudy, intermittent liquid but not much,soft snow fun day
    Thursday, slightly firmer snow but windy
    http://i.imgur.com/RPikDwg.jpg
    Summit on Wednesday morning

#552 fx 140 ski freek, Sep 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
  3. wannaski

wannaski One of Us

That's a beautiful shot ! [​IMG] still looking great !

#553 wannaski, Sep 1, 2013
  4. middy

middy Hard Yards

Just spent weekend at falls, first time after 2 seasons of Perisher/Thredbo.

Nice weather and decent snow, softened fairly fast so speed wasn't really an issue. Couldn't help but have a giggle at some of the slow zone signs coming down to bottom of express at the end of the day, felt like I could have took off skis and walked faster.

Lift queues were surprisingly good, longest wait was probably 5 minutes, most skiied straight up to front of queue.
    Did find the weekend punters to be a little more annoying than perisher/thredbo, a lot of people putting on skis at entry to lift line or just standing around having a chat then giving me a bemused luck when I ski'd past.

Does anyone have any stats on the lift speeds? Seemed excruciatingly slow. Online wiki suggests towers has a 6 minute ride time, didn't time my run but I suspect I got top to bottom close to that time.

Would question the rating of some of the black runs. I only started getting comfortable on perisher blues this year and felt the blacks were pretty straight forward.

Just need to try Hotham/Buller now to weigh up season pass options!

5. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Falls' run ratings are conservative yeah.

The only thing about on-piste there that really gives me the irrits is all the boarders clipping in around the off-load ramps on Towers and Drovers. Dumb; thoughtless; obstructive.

6. Edgecrusher

Edgecrusher Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Yep, absolutely hate the way they do that. I usually ski with boarders and I tell them to clear the area.

#556 Edgecrusher, Sep 2, 2013
  7. mick chopps

mick chopps Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Same. I don't wait anymore.

#557 mick chopps, Sep 2, 2013
  8. TinkyH23

TinkyH23 Addicted

All of that!

This drove me insane when we were up for the week recently.
    Geez they even put little bench seats ON THE SIDES to give you the hint where to do it.
    But no, just drop your stupid butts right in the centre and the rest of us will dodge around you.
    Actually I meant to mention this on here but forgot: Even saw a snowboard instructor stop there and talk to his group of 6 in a circle.
    Was gobsmacked.

#558 TinkyH23, Sep 2, 2013
  9. Ziggy

Well, sometimes I just skate through first yelling 'track!'. Once I got an apology.

10. middy

middy Hard Yards

Just push through them, I don't wait anymore. Alpine code says give way to those downhill, technically they're up [​IMG]

Saw heaps of boarders using those benches they've put for people to boot-up as rails on the weekend as well, people sitting on the back edge and standing near it didn't seem to bother them...

#560 middy, Sep 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2013
  11. Sadie

Sadie Chk Chk Boom Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

I'm a boarder and even I hate it. Although, I hate when people stand there and have a chat around the entrance of the Express chair more. [​IMG]

#561 Sadie, Sep 2, 2013
  12. wannaski

wannaski One of Us

I see on the cams cars on the village roads [​IMG]
    I choose to see the positive in things - we can park at the door and unload !

#562 wannaski, Sep 3, 2013
  13. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

They cleared village roads last night.

Still heaps of snow over the back. Even Wombats still had good cover yesterday

14. weerab

weerab One of Us

Thinking about putting the skis Away for the season, any worthwhile touring on the BHP, doesn't seem to be.

15. SAS

SAS Hard Yards

Here are some pics from yesterday

Summit
    [​IMG]

Inter

[​IMG]

Spion Kopje

[​IMG]

Towers
    [​IMG]

Quartz Ridge / Rapunzels

[​IMG]

Lakeside

[​IMG]

Scotts

[​IMG]

South Face

[​IMG]

Rocky Knolls

[​IMG]

#565 SAS, Sep 3, 2013
  16. SAS

SAS Hard Yards

and a few more from yesterday

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And one from this morning, some nice corduroy before it started to soften around 10.30 off of Ruined Castle and Scotts.

[​IMG]

#566 SAS, Sep 3, 2013
  17. gettingtooold

gettingtooold One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Just returned from a couple of days. Incredibly warm weather but surprised at the amount of snow. Only went to the Summit area except for a few runs down RC. Snow was fine in most areas until about 11am and turned to extremely heavy after that. Hard work for old legs!
    Very enjoyable few days (bloody hot 'though) and big melts overnight. Would think northside and Summit have a couple more days at best.
    Now I've seen some stupid things over the years, but while skiing from the summit to top of the Gully I picked up an empty beer glass half buried in the snow that some useless piece of shit had thrown there. Wish the idiot that did that landed on it. Unbelievable!

18. wannaski

wannaski One of Us

Good to hear ! I know we will have a ball regardless - anytime we spend at FC is amazing [​IMG]

#568 wannaski, Sep 3, 2013
  19. wannaski

wannaski One of Us

SAS those pictures are beautiful ! It's nice to see what the coverage is like from a different angle , cheers !

20. fx 140 ski freek

fx 140 ski freek Hard Yards

Awsome pics!!
    Dispels the doom and gloom about how quick the season will end
    Plenty to ski on
    My daughter informs me that they are moving snow around to repair damage
    3 weeks to go, should be plenty to last

21. wannaski

wannaski One of Us

[​IMG] the fact that she's still got work is a good sign - I'm staying positive

#571 wannaski, Sep 4, 2013
  22. Sadie

Sadie Chk Chk Boom Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Great pics SAS. It looks heaps better than what I thought it would with this warm weather.

23. Slushii

Slushii Mostly missing in action... Ski Pass: Gold

NIce pics, SAS - thanks for sharing :)

24. snowduck

snowduck One of Us

Just returned from another awesome pilgrimage to FC

Fortunately was there during the wonderful period of dry snow, and snowfalls every day.

Something that aroused my curiousity, and I think this has been mentioned before. The Lift Co. didn't bother creating the Tube Park in the bowl this year. Not that I ever use it, but I was always familiar with the sight of folks sliding down on tubes where the old Nursery Poma was.

I asked a friendly lady staffing the Eagle Lift, directly opposite the Tube Lift. Her reply was that she was informed that there "wasn't enough snow" to build the park. Whilst I know she was sincere in her reply, surely she must have heard BS, as there was an average depth of 144 cms at the time.

The terrain parks over on Ruined Castle and Panorama have been in place for weeks.

I checked the FC activities guide (printed on the flipside of the trail map) and, yep, Tubing is listed as a feature.

Speculation time. Insurance issues ?

25. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I've also wondered. My theories

a) by the time there was enough snow, it wasn't thought that they would make enough money from it to justify the cost of building it

b) Merlin is pretty strict on OHS. maybe seen as too risky (but I doubt this as an explanation)

c) probably in conjunction with a) - they are rethinking what they want to do in the bowl and decided to stay in limbo this year. I don't recall seeing the bungee-trampolines running this year either

I really hope they ditch the tube and reinstate the area a beginner/kids area. great for bad weather days, and lazy afternoons where parents can watch their kids while taking it easy themselves

26. Ziggy

Agree with a return to a beginner/kids place in the bowl.

Yesterday morning the toboggan slope had been groomed ready for play, narrow though the area is.

And a deal of snow farming has been done on the XC trails to keep them open. That impressed me. (Not over or beyond the dam wall BTW).

#576 Ziggy, Sep 6, 2013
  27. Charlie

Charlie Still the most depraved poster here Ski Pass: Gold

Faaaaaaark Sas, I haven't skiid at Falls since before the fires, but that shot of the International shows how it was devastated

28. Hully

Hully One of Us

Yeah, think that you pretty much got it Curra...would be a financial decision influenced partly by the early lack of snow. Would cost a bit to build the tube (kat time, hire of a little excavator, hand shape) and then onoing staff and running costs. By the time there was enough snow to build the tube the peak family ('high yield' guest) holiday time was pretty much passed. The snow has never really setup this season as well, particularly on the north side (the Bowl) so the decision not to build a tube may have also been influenced by snow quality more than depth.

The decision not to have the bungy was purely financial...it didn't pay for itself.

Interestingly an owner whose world business is primarily amusements and novelties is getting rid of non ski amusements. I think that previous management saw them as a 'loss leader' that built up the overall 'snow holiday' offering for the target family market.

I personally am happy to see the Merlin management cut costs at the expense of non-core skiing/boarding products in preference to cost cutting that affects lift reliability, ski area maintenance etc. I am probably at odds with others but I think that the future of our ski fields is to reduce the cost of skiing by getting back to basics...providing skiing/boarding facilities. It is fine to offer non-core products but they should be purely self funded on a user pays basis...not underwritten by the recreational/sport skier/boarder.

In relation to another comment that shows tube being listed as an activity on the reverse of trail map, I believe that this was the intention, it was planned to be offered as an activity. My issue is that on the daily report this year there have been activities listed that are clearly not on offer......Kat Skiing!!!!! among others (eg fireworks today). The other daily report issue I have is stating all 14 lifts operating but the report showing 14/15 lifts (Tube park being the anomoly). These are basic things that IMHO just show laziness within the responsible department and lack of an eye for detail...they could be easily corrected.

#578 Hully, Sep 7, 2013
  29. Hully

Hully One of Us

Doubt insurance issue...the tube is quite a controlled and regulated activity. IMHO heaps safer to send a kid down than some of the places people send their kids on toboggans.

#579 Hully, Sep 7, 2013
  30. soza

soza One of Us

Spent the weekend camping at Mt Loch, Mrs wanted to have a play ice climbing and is lucky enough to know someone to take us out and show us the ropes. Unfortunately not enough cover or operating lifts at Hotham to board back via backcountry and orchard so just had a run down HV before coming home

Back up to falls today, holding up a lot better than Hotham. Bit of cloud so remained firm for a good few hours, a fair few creeks n rocks since I was up last weekend but still lots of fun and plenty of runs open. Started to rain about 2pm, only brief and that fell as sleet. Fingers crossed for a bit of snow this week but if not it is still holding up well for the next couple of weeks.

vid from today.... http://youtu.be/7n8iGpaM6t0

#580 soza, Sep 9, 2013
  31. Ziggy

Skied this morning in the drizzle, fog and wind and had some of the best runs of the season. The cover was firm rain-lubricated corn, at least southside around Towers and Lakeside.

There are slumps, bare patches and the odd pot hole but still plenty of cover where it matters. Wombats is fine.

WZ is suggesting we may get 15cm or so in the new few days and a few nights of freeze.

32. Hully

Hully One of Us

Summit closing as of 3pm today....plenty of skiing left over the back but always sad when the front side doesn't make it to the end. Slush bumps on the Summit are a bit of a Falls Spring Skiing institution.

33. Ziggy

BTW a fresh wax (ski, not Brazilian) helps with current conditions.

34. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

Given the amount of snow v. the amount of apres on offer, a Brazillian may be beneficial as well.

#584 climberman, Sep 10, 2013
  35. Hully

Hully One of Us

If this was thread was in Backcountry I would suggest that most would prefer having their fun "off piste" but seeing it is a resort thread you are probably right and most would prefer spending their time on "groomers". Just gotta find a beautician who can give the "area" a primo cord finish. [​IMG]

#585 Hully, Sep 10, 2013
  36. Ziggy

[​IMG].

To match the head Hully?

#586 Ziggy, Sep 10, 2013
  37. wannaski

wannaski One of Us

Oh well ! Looks like I'm going to get there 3 days too late [​IMG]
    Still cant wait to get up there and go for a ski though [​IMG]

#587 wannaski, Sep 11, 2013
  38. Tropical

Tropical One of Us

Given the current forecast ...... how much terrain is likely to be open on the last weekend of the season? I am in Melbourne for work that week and I am considering heading up to FC for the final weekend.

Will Towers/Main Street still be skiable? Any more terrain - Scotts, Lakeside, Ruined Caste?

Cheers, Trops.

39. Hully

Hully One of Us

You seem to know yourself the likely scenario of how the terrain will be lost....nobody IMO can give you any true indication of what it will be like in 2.5 wks time, and generally even in the middle of the season this is so. When there was 50cm on the ground earlier in the season very few thought that we would have 0cm and week later. It's the last weekend of the season, it is a gamble. Decide the day before...you won't have to book in advance.

#589 Hully, Sep 11, 2013
  40. Ziggy

41. weerab

weerab One of Us

I put my skis away last weekend and also took the chains out of the boot, am I being a bit premature?

42. BilbyBill

BilbyBill One of Us

Yes, you will probably need them next winter.

#592 BilbyBill, Sep 11, 2013
  43. Hunter

Hunter Part of the Furniture Endless Winter

Spot on

#593 Hunter, Sep 11, 2013
  44. The Bluff

The Bluff Addicted Ski Pass: Silver

great today and yesterday, only (minor) precipitation up high was snow.

Iced up late today.

Enough for family skiing...good time had ...just have to shut out the bushes you can see "off piste".

Season pass holders and beginner skiers should come up

45. Hully

Hully One of Us

Fair bit of snow making going on as I was leaving the top of the hill after 5pm tonight. Across the top outside Cloud 9 and most of the way down Wombats Ramble. A lot of moving of snow around was starting as the night's grooming was commencing. Key access trails (eg Eagle to Cloud 9) have been pushed up into 'thickies'. Even though the snow loss has been significant in the past 2 weeks, FCSL are clearly doing everything to ensure skiing through to the end.

46. SAS

SAS Hard Yards

Re: Falls Creek Conditions & Pics 2013

And another one taken today
    [​IMG]

#596 SAS, Sep 13, 2013
  47. Ziggy

Icy this morning on southside after the o/n freeze with patches of made snow on Main St and a bit of natural stuff off-piste around Sun Down.

Got first tracks in on Main St, woohoo. The first two runs involved a caught edge however, binding release and fall. Phooey. But the release on the tele skis is set low. Prefer embarrassment to knee damage.

As Hully said, there's now a snow road from Eagle to Cloud 9 to make for an easier link-up. That spoils Monkey Bar which wasn't running and may not again.

Wombat's has been bulked up by the snow making and was dry and relatively fast during the morning. Ideal for practising quick short turns.

I didn't ski in the arvo.

48. wannaski

wannaski One of Us

Arrived today just before lunch - kids had a ball playing in the snow & then got a few refresher runs in for the kids down wombats before they start their 7 days of ski school tomorrow. I think it is actually better than what it appears to be like on the cams - but then I'm easily pleased when if comes to snow . Started snowing tonight round 7.30 so took the kids for a walk in it - was a little wet but we thought it was beautiful ! Great day

49. wannaski

wannaski One of Us

Mixed bag of weather today . Sun , rain , hail . Had a great day though and snows holding up well IMO- but pretty hard going for the legs . Best skiing for the day was through the trees & also watching my 5 year old showing me all the new things he learnt in ski school .

50. BillyKidd

BillyKidd One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Ahahahahahahaha....you must be a comedian Hully. Yep, they are trying to do everything they can to ensure skiing through to the end....with lift prices still offering no value. Cheaper and better to ski Europe, North America and Japan. Love skiing Australia skiing but it is now so marginal that you just would not waste your time.

#600 BillyKidd, Sep 15, 2013