Falls Creek 2013 - Trip Reports, Pic & Conditions

littlerob84

First Runs
Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Well still nothing particularly exciting to report. Got some photo's of a few different area's today on my way to Hotham and back.

Weerab, the Grasshopper reckons we might get some snow around the 5th/6th July.......maybe.

IMG_0079-001.jpg
20130626_155004-001.jpg
20130626_154849-001.jpg
20130626_154805-001.jpg
20130626_154753-001.jpg
IMG_0034-001.jpg
IMG_0019-001.jpg
20130626_151045-001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

littlerob84

First Runs
Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Emkae, the last photo is Pretty Valley lake looking towards Mt Feathertop (it's the tall peak in the distance with a bit of snow on it, about a third of the way in from the left). Falls Creek is back behind to the right.
Glad you're all enjoying the photo's.

emkae

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 6, 1998
Melbourne
thanks, the photos provide a perspective on falls that we otherwise wouldn't get

the first photo of wombats ramble is both sad, due to the complete lack of natural snow, but also impressive, from the point of view of what the snowmakers can achieve

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Brilliant stuff!!!!

Keep those pics coming.......

Pretty Valley pics really good and it shows relief so well....

Try some pics over Fainters and N....heads a traverse from Bogong Jacks thro Fainters to Tawonga Huts would be amazing video...

Team Bears will shout you drinks any time for your contributions...These are stunning....thank you....
smile.gif

hongomania

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2006
Melbourne
im not sure whether or not to say thanks for the photos littlerob? they have made me super depressed!
WHEN WILL IT SNOW IN VICTORIA?

Auska

Hard Yards
Aug 3, 2004
Sydney
Ditto the previous comments Littlerob.

The photos are fantastic and do provide a very different perspective on the state of the resorts and the high plains.

Please keep up the posts
smile.gif

TeleXC

Hard Yards
Aug 9, 2012
Geelong
Found this letter about XC Skiing at falls. There will be XC, just very limited right now.

Dear Cross-Country Skier,

You may be aware there is currently very limited natural snow and relatively little man-made snow at Falls Creek.

Alpine skiing is currently restricted to a few ski runs only, those being Wombat’s Ramble, Towers and Mousetrap.

There are currently no groomed cross-country ski trails.

In many of the past years, the current limited snow cover would likely mean no cross-country skiing within the Resort.

However, Falls Creek Ski Lifts (FCSL) has generously agreed to support cross-country skiing on the man-made product, subject to a number of conditions:

Cross-country skiing will be conducted around the Cloud 9 / Mousetrap / top of Towers area only.
Cross-country skiers will be able to ride up Falls Express Chairlift free-of-charge between the hours of 7.30am and 8.30am daily (please note the use of FEX after 8.30am will require a valid lift pass).
Cross-country skiing is permitted on the relatively flat alpine runs of Mousetrap and the top of Main Street until 8.30am.
After 8.30am all cross-country skiing on alpine runs must cease as these areas will become very crowded and difficult to safely administer.
Cross-country skiing after 8.30am is permitted on areas where there is snow cover which is not on an alpine run (although please be mindful it is likely the areas of suitable snow will become very congested when the lifts open). This area will be in the Cloud 9 vicinity and will be very limited in size.
Cross-country skiing or walking up Wombat’s Ramble is not permitted at any time during the day (even prior to 8.30am) due to the very marginal cover on the run (this is an extremely valuable product in the context of skier movement and it is essential we do not undertake any activity which may cause it damage). You can XC ski down Wombat’s at any time.
Cross-country skiers wishing to access the top of the Resort during the day should use either Pretty Valley Road or some other means such as The Last Hoot.
It is critical these conditions are fully complied with to enable longevity of the snow product and (importantly) ensure the operation of the ski area remains at an acceptable risk level.

Compliance of the conditions will be monitored by FCSL, Ski Patrol and other FCRM staff.

We understand these conditions will place limitations on training programs and school groups. However, it does provide the opportunity to include components of on-snow training early in the morning and dry land training on the Resort’s many tracks and trails later in the day. Please be advised BHP Road is currently closed to vehicular traffic beyond the dam wall, which will enable safe rollerskiing from the dam wall to Mt Cope (there are a couple of hairy downhills past Wallace’s Hut). There are also numerous trails which are highly enjoyable for running and ski striding including the Aqueduct, Wishing Well / Frying Pan Spur, the Packhorse Trail to Howman’s Gap, the Aqueduct Trail to Ropers Lookout and the Heathy Spur Trail leading from the dam wall to Mt Nelse and beyond. There is no shortage of trails for fun activities on foot, hillbounding, intervals or to simply just completely wear yourself out around the XC ski trail system.

The management of the snow will be reviewed regularly over the school holiday period and you will be advised of any changes or further opportunities if they are available.

Please do not hesitate to contact either myself or Chris Derrick (----,----) should you have any queries or require further information.

TeleXC

Hard Yards
Aug 9, 2012
Geelong
Yep they would, I'm not gonna enter it unfortunately, too early on the calendar for me, still haven't gotten past that rusty phase between seasons, but sounds like it will be a good day. The money sounds very tempting
biggrin.gif

emkae

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 6, 1998
Melbourne
First day of vic school holidays

Main Street, drovers and wombats ramble only runs open, but almost no lift queues.....

Great work by the snow makers

wannaski

One of Us
May 28, 2005
Isn't that just the glory of snow - nice pics
smile.gif

wannaski

One of Us
May 28, 2005
woohoo.gif
I really can't wait to see what's on the cams this morning
woohoo.gif

Come on daylight
woohoo.gif

Hully

One of Us
May 6, 2004
Kiewa Valley
We lost all power for a while last night so it might be a 'reset issue' or the like, it was about the time that the last Falls Express shot was captured. I am not a tech so that is just a guess.

wannaski

One of Us
May 28, 2005
Hully said:
We lost all power for a while last night so it might be a 'reset issue' or the like, it was about the time that the last Falls Express shot was captured. I am not a tech so that is just a guess.

Thanks Hully for the update
biggrin.gif

Hully

One of Us
May 6, 2004
Kiewa Valley
They are all working on the SkiFalls.com.au site so probably just a server reset or the like for the feed into ski.com.au

TeleXC

Hard Yards
Aug 9, 2012
Geelong
The Falls creek XC trails yesterday, From Windy corners FB page. Looks good, apparently there were 14cm on them yesterday with more now from last night. Iv'e been told theres no grooming yet but I'm guessing there will be some soon to preserve the snow for the coming days

999006_638451592832065_325105287_n.jpg

wannaski

One of Us
May 28, 2005
Nice
smile.gif
I didn't know about that Facebook page - another good one , cheers !

Strepera versicolor

Hard Yards
May 31, 2007
Mr. Good said:
Do I head to Falls or Hotham tomorrow?! Who has better snow conditions, anyone?

Who??? As far as I am aware both Falls Creek and Mt Hotham are ski resorts, not people.

That said, conditions for XC at Falls today were quite nice with 32km of trails groomed.

prcoy

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2010
Point Leo, Australia
It was certainly a great day at falls. Skied powder all day. Firstly by traversing to summit. Then Scotts opened and there was great snow in the Scots ruined castle bowl. A few runs down lakeside and shadow ridge area, then after lunch onto the touring gear and found plenty of freshies over in sun valley and Rocky knolls. I reckon the snow will dry out a bit overnight and should be dry again on the southern slopes tomorrow morning.

littlerob84

First Runs
Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
There was a bit of cloud about today so I couldn't get great shots but these should do until I head up tomorrow. Hopefully the sun will be out and I can get some killer shots and video. Enjoy.

20130708_142225.jpg
20130708_142349.jpg
20130708_142338.jpg
20130708_142303.jpg
20130708_142248.jpg

soza

One of Us
Jun 15, 2013
Tawonga South
had my first proper taste of the falls set up on Sunday and must say loved every minute of it. Spent the day on drovers and main street and had so much fun finding lines between the two, such a great set up and i cant wait to explore more next week.
Didn't like wombats too much but that may be down to how busy it was for my last ride of the day and the fact I had never boarded anything so narrow that i found myself going sideways for most of it.
Found the whole place had a nice vibe, all the staff and anyone I chatted with on the lifts was super cool...cant comment on the food as I took sarnies and a flask of tea....... buy yeah, aching like a bas@#%d but still wearing a huge smile.

little vid of the day put together with the magisto app
http://youtu.be/ZxA29yxeBTY

mick chopps

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jun 22, 2006
The barber's chair
Summit opening on Wednesday. Amazing what one storm can do indeed littlerob!

Eagerly looking forward to those pics from tmrw, they'll no doubt be speccie!

wannaski

One of Us
May 28, 2005
Yeah , pics are brilliant Littlerob - amazing how much it can change in just a couple days . Can't wait for the next installment !

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Blue sky and great snow again
Beginners
biggrin.gif

Northside
smile.gif
cover is very good but firm & rutted in places. Wombats is crazy.
Towers/Lakeside
biggrin.gif
-
woohoo.gif
Lakeside lift not open yet, but skiable to the towers traverse
Scotts/Ruined
smile.gif
-
woohoo.gif

Summit/International
frown.gif
closed
Off-piste
eek.gif
-
woohoo.gif
mostly tracked out but still dry and lots of fun over the back. North facing has crusty and difficult

Run of the day: Rapunzels

Key
woohoo.gif
excellent
biggrin.gif
very good
smile.gif
good
eek.gif
fair
frown.gif
closed or should be
confused.gif
don't know, didn't ski it

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
Falls is skiing well. Cover is nice and dry as reported, high traffic areas were well packed by this afternoon but not icy - though Scottys was getting fast and slippery by 4pm.

Summit thin, Monday was the day for Summit (Mon was glorious). Heavy vegetation areas like shortcut on village homerun are soft and could do with a topup but not unskiable (yet).

In general the whole of Southside is in very good condition and will ski well enough until next week - snowmaking will now keep it in good order and off piste only needs flurries to keep enjoyable enough until the forecast snowfalls on the 19th..

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
Day started dry but softened pretty quickly. South side still in very good order, some off-piste areas starting to whither and show through. High traffic snowmaking areas sugary and loose. Temps got warmer in the village than the forecast max of 5 to around 8 and village roads now wet snow but still covered. Day was lovely and still plenty of fun to be had. The forecast rain has not materialised (3:20pm) and luck may be on our side as it does not look likely to rain anytime soon either.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass