Status
Not open for further replies.

Amelia1810

One of Us
Nov 18, 2013
Melbourne
From a beautiful day yesterday (14/7):

To today (15/7):

Would post some more but internet is slow. But we had fun out there today even though you couldn't see 15metres in front of you! Nice and soft, snowed just about all day long and still falling.

Reactions: ssar and wannaski

mick chopps

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jun 22, 2006
The barber's chair
Reported 15cm in the last 24hrs. Looks about right, perhaps a touch generous based on Cedarwood cam but also looks far from dry. Wet Powder might be the best way to describe it... ;)

Amelia1810

One of Us
Nov 18, 2013
Melbourne
Lethal out there today! Wind was pretty mad. Didn't even have to push myself up near Cloud 9 - wind pushed me along! Got fresh tracks this morning and stacked it on Lakeside haha.

ssar

One of Us
Jul 17, 2005
Newcastle, NSW
Yep, everything on hold. Damn sucks, wish I was out skiing! Might go for a hike...

Ahhh, THAT's why the snowcams, lifts & terrain look pretty damn good - I was wondering where are all the snowriders, out in such good cover?!
..Windheld lifts.

Once they open, enjoy, those that are there, looks awesome!

Hully

One of Us
May 6, 2004
Kiewa Valley
Wind was brutal up high (>100kph) with all lifts apart from Gully on windhold until 1pm. Snow terribly wind blown and scoured over the back....will all come up a treat after a groom tonight.

Amelia1810

One of Us
Nov 18, 2013
Melbourne
Express opened up about 1:15, heard Eagle and Summit had opened not much earlier. We decided to give the day a miss with only a few hours remaining and went for a toboggan instead lol.

mick chopps

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jun 22, 2006
The barber's chair
Express opened up about 1:15, heard Eagle and Summit had opened not much earlier. We decided to give the day a miss with only a few hours remaining and went for a toboggan instead lol.
Wow.
Much mistake
Very regret

Seriously though, thanks, all the more stashes for me to find tomorrow!
:)
:thumbs:

Amelia1810

One of Us
Nov 18, 2013
Melbourne
Haha, not to worry, we'll be back out first thing tomorrow! Would rather use my lift ticket for a full day than few hours and our toboggan hire was free :p

gettingtooold

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2012
geelong
After my recent whinge about lack of current snow / road conditions being upgraded , I notice the last two day's reports have been done at 6.30am . As it should be.

Auska

Hard Yards
Aug 3, 2004
Sydney
But there were very few updates regarding the status of the lifts :headbang:.
I got ready and found that lifts were on wind hold even though the 8.30 update indicated everything was open:tany::tany::tany::tany::tany:.

Once Sun Valley opened it was fabulous in areas that weren't exposed:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Late again with the report this morning :headbang:

It was after 7:30 before they admitted that everything was on wind hold. We guessed anyway and did not go up.
Looks like they have express, towers and drover's going now, hopefully more to follow. queues will be horrendous

Hully

One of Us
May 6, 2004
Kiewa Valley
Fex, Drovers, Lakeside, Towers all started loading just after 10....others followed during the morning as the really high winds abated until all lifts were operating by late morning. IMHO nothing was opened later this morning than it safely could have. Today was a fantastic ski on dry wind scoured snow under blue sky and sunshine. Pick of the day for me was The Ys.

Amelia1810

One of Us
Nov 18, 2013
Melbourne
Express queue was pretty bad when it finally opened but understandable and lifties were efficient at getting people through. Was a really nice day once we were able to get out there! :)

Stratus

A Local
Apr 22, 2005
Melbourne
Just back from a weekend trip and had a great time. Beautiful sunny weather and the most snow I've ever seen! Full cover over the entire mountain, every run is open - just great. Even the Maze had 100% cover, no rocks or nasties showing (and grooming on some of the Maze runs was excellent).

Barring unseasonably warm weather or nasty rain events September will be excellent.

Chondro

One of Us
Jul 8, 2013
Victoria
Did a Steve lee back country tour this morning.

One word. Amazing

Will definitely do again
Lots of nice pow stashes to be found and nice steep runs.

Couple of quick park laps again this arvo and a run down Scott's/ruined snow is nice all over still

Reactions: Sadie

Stuart Johnson

Hard Yards
Jul 23, 2014
Wangaratta
23/7/2014.

Snow was in good nick, not icy or slushy. Just chalky pretty much all over, with warmer weather from early morning (4º) it cooled down a little after lunchtime & the sun went a hid. Snow got a little icy, but still good.

Did Panorama/Drovers to warm up, then moved over and did hwy 83, before heading over to Scottys & ruined area's. Was perfect, with only a handful of people over there all morning on the groomed runs. Headed around Eagle chair & Inter which all had great cover with nothing bad to report on.

[edit. Can't get the photo to work]

soza

One of Us
Jun 15, 2013
Tawonga South
poor visibility today, nice down in the valley but the cloud just hung around the slopes all day. Still fun if you stuck to tree runs. Runs to lakeside poma were fun as was shadow ridge but the ride back up scottys lift was blistering cold....how nice would jap style covered lifts be?
We head off home about 1300 just as a bit of rain appeared....hopefully get some snow tonight. Noticed a bit of rain damage under the express chair since we were last up on the 22nd.

Tuesday the 22nd was a classic day...explored heaps and took the mrs up summit for the first time....youtube clip

Also had the weekend (19th 20th) camping down at mt beauty and playing on the slopes with my son.....

that`s 12 days so far this season.....hero pass paid off in no time

Reactions: Stratus

OzSkier

One of Us
Jun 8, 1999
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
poor visibility today, nice down in the valley but the cloud just hung around the slopes all day. Still fun if you stuck to tree runs. Runs to lakeside poma were fun as was shadow ridge but the ride back up scottys lift was blistering cold....how nice would jap style covered lifts be?
We head off home about 1300 just as a bit of rain appeared....hopefully get some snow tonight. Noticed a bit of rain damage under the express chair since we were last up on the 22nd.

Tuesday the 22nd was a classic day...explored heaps and took the mrs up summit for the first time....youtube clip

Also had the weekend (19th 20th) camping down at mt beauty and playing on the slopes with my son.....

that`s 12 days so far this season.....hero pass paid off in no time
Got totally soaked this afternoon. Clear snow/wet snow mix. Desperately working on getting things dry for tomorrow.

Think snow :)

TinkyH23

One of Us
Jul 12, 2008
Macedon Ranges, Victoria
Hubby and I have been coming to Falls annually or biannually since my 3 children were toddlers.
They are all drivers now and the newly licenced youngest drove one of our cars this weekend.
With staying on mountain no longer a necessity we stayed Friday, Saturday and Sunday in Mt Beauty and had 3 great days up at Falls. The eldest brought his girlfriend (a snowboarder) and my brother came too and drove the 2nd car.
I'm normally a fair weather skier only but wanted to make the most of the wonderful July snow so skied Friday (in poor visibility) and Saturday (though we all got absolutely saturated with the constant rain/sleet).
I'm a strong advocate of bringing take 2 sets of everything on these trips. I'm glad I did as the drying room at Mt Beauty holiday resort couldn't cope with the large load on Saturday night and our stuff did not dry out sufficiently.

Sunday was the best of the 3 days with much improved visibility and with the rain gone the snow was less sticky.
Was having a great time until I had a fall cruising down Wombats around 11.45 am heading for a coffee. Still don't know how I did it. Instead of just skiing instinctively like I normal would I tried consciously working on my technique. (bend knee, straighten up to initiate the turn etc etc,) when I got in a tangle and down I went. Felt a thump in the back of my calf and some pain. (Brother says I was overthinking it. Yes. Probably.) Anyway, my husband was ahead and didn't see me fall so I got up and put myself back together and tried slowly to get down the rest of the way. Made it with only 1 further fall just before windy corner.
So I was out for the day. I encouraged the others to keep going and enjoy the day.

I sat in the visitors shelter for half an hour and then met my son and his girlfriend in STINGRAY CAFE.
I'd just like to give a shout out and a big thank you to Julie (Julia?) from the ticket box, Rob from Ski Patrol and the young waiter (sorry can't remember his name) who came rushing to my aid when I fainted whilst sitting on the couch around 2 hours later.
Seems to have just been from pain and emotional stress. But the quick and professional response received was impressive and reassuring.

I saw my Physio yesterday and I have torn the calf muscle. It could be worse apparently, but I am out for 4 weeks or so.
TBH I'm grateful I didn't break a bone or wreck a knee. But I remember the days when falling off my skis was funny. Just bounced back up.
Hoping for 4 weeks of blizzards and a long season!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Sir Surfalot

soza

One of Us
Jun 15, 2013
Tawonga South
I went up today....didn't expect much with the forecast but checked the FC update at 0730 and it said all lifts set to turn. I made a mad dash up the mountain had a couple of runs on main street then all lifts bar FX and lakeside poma got closed....was a fair bit windy mind.
Last hoot, milky way and wombats attracted all the crowds so I just did laps of lakeside. Only a hand full of people had the same idea and I think I was the only boarder for the most part so ended up been a fun couple of hours.
had the gopro with me but not really worth the effort....got to try a few new things in the edit tho

Reactions: spunk72

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
From the lift co email today

It might work in real estate ladies and gentlemen but the worst day in the best season is still just a miserable day. You don’t want to buy this one folks. Leave your hands in your pockets. Stay in your own home. Don’t come up here this morning. Falls Creek has had a big night and isn’t fit to be seen. Rain. Probable windhold. Bleary eyes. Smelly breath. Yuck.

Yesterday included
It’s going to be a mixed bag of mostly shite.

what a novelty - brutal honesty in snow reporting :thumbs:

Karicta

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 9, 2011
I am shocked. If it was anyone but you curra (or a cpl of others) I'd say it was a joke.....

soza

One of Us
Jun 15, 2013
Tawonga South
Hey Soza - mind if I ask what software you use to do your edits and specifically what filter you applied for the effects in above from 17s - 30s?

I gotta get me back to Falls one of these days :)

Cyberlink power director 11....this clip was the first time using 11 but been using power director version 8 for years. used both sony vegas and windows movie maker in the past and cyberlink supasses these with ease of use and top end features. I put effects on some clips but couldnt work out how to remove them...ended up with an old movie sepia, negative and pencil scetch, some clips had all three going at once.

Ziggy

A Local
Aug 24, 2003
From the lift co email today

Yesterday included

what a novelty - brutal honesty in snow reporting :thumbs:

Yeah, those daily reports are worth reading. The writing is good and someone has learned a key lesson in PR - don't try to polish a turd, you'll just lose credibility. Brava Lulu.

Reactions: Apresski

Ziggy

A Local
Aug 24, 2003
Here's todays email report heading: I wouldn't open this email. Today is being passed in.

Stratus

A Local
Apr 22, 2005
Melbourne
Why were they out in the first place? Do you think deliberately disabled this morning so day trippers wouldn't see conditions?

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
A saying I've often appreciated the value of: Never ascribe to malice what can adequately be explained by incompetence.

I'd say the cams being out would have just been a typical garden variety snafu.

Reactions: currawong

OzSkier

One of Us
Jun 8, 1999
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Went out this afternoon for 1.5 hours and left when my belly started feeling wet. Buy that stage my gloves were soaked and undies had started getting wet. A good time was had up to that time.

Think snow :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass