1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Report Falls Creek 2014 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by Ian D, Jun 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scooter

Scooter One of Us

:thumbs: Thanks soza - I will try to check it out although given I have hundreds of hours of video I have never looked at going back years and already have software sitting there likewise for years that I have never opened (I vaguely remember last time being keen to try and stabilize some video so starting downloading tools that weer supposed to do this well) it might take me a while to get around to it LOL

I liked the pencil effect (know it well from photo editing days - hadn't realised you could apply these sort of filters to vid) and you have a couple of good examples there. Thanks :)

soza likes this.
  2. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

So is there consensus as to the quickest, and also the easiest (which may be different), route to Mt Beauty from Melbourne? A Falls Creek regular used to urge me to go Tunnel Gap Rd via Dederang on the basis that it was an easier drive than either of the alternatives once you go through Myrtleford. What do you guys do?

3. snowduck

snowduck One of Us

Do you mean Tawonga Gap Road ? That's the one I always use.

Happy Valley Road, C534, at Ovens is an alternative which I've used once, but choose Tawonga Gap purely for the fun drive up the mountain.

4. Edgecrusher

Edgecrusher Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

I tend to go the Happy Valley Road, although the climb through the range there ain't great sometimes. Have found it an easier drive than Tawonga Gap though.

spunk72 likes this.
  5. absentskier

No, Tunnel Gap Road. Supposedly longer but easier for those who want to minimise windy roads. Personally I used to go Happy Valley.

6. Edgecrusher

It back tracks a fair way towards Yack, but as you said, you avoid the windy stuff.

You're factoring in the potential for car sick kiddies on the way?

7. weerab

weerab One of Us

I don't think there is much in it really. I sometimes go up via Tawonga gap and come back by Happy valley. The Happy Valley road can be quite narrow and the Tawonga road apprently was very well engineered as it was supposed to be the access route for the SEC when they were building the power stations.

I have used the Tunnel gap road once but don't know if it was any quicker.

8. absentskier

Not for us, but for family friends with a mum who gets car sick.

9. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

the happy valley (rosewhite gap) road is best in most circumstances.

tunnel gap rd is the least twisty, if car sick kids is an issue. also the best if it's foggy or if you are towing a heavy trailer. IME it's about 5 minutes slower than rosewhite gap. in myrtleford, turn off at the big tree on it's side before you get to the middle of town. after you go through mudgeegonga, look for the tunnel gap rd on the right. follow it to a tee interesction where you turn right and head down to meet the kiewa valley hwy

the tawonga gap rd is the slowest and most twisty. good for scenic variation or if you want to go to Bright for some reason, but not for speed or people who don't like winding roads

at the other end of the drive, if you are in the eastern suburbs it can be good to go via maroonday or melba highways as far as maindample, then turn onto the midland until you join the hume at benalla. not so good at peak buller times but can be more relaxing at other times

10. absentskier

Thanks, confirms my thoughts.

11. soza

soza One of Us

I know it adds a bit extra km to the journey but time wise I bet its not much difference to skip Myrtleford and keep on the freeway to Wodonga (and avoids any bendy or steep bits) .I only suggest because both Wodonga and Myrtleford take about 90mins to falls, and whats Myrtleford form the freeway an extra 30mins? so almost about the same as continuing up to Wodonga. But then I may be way off here though cos I have never had to make the journey from melbs to falls

12. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

never measured it but I would be very surprised if that did not add substantial time. 2 sides of the triangle. also there really is very little bendy or steep from hume to myrtleford, and very little on the tunnel gap rd, so that's not helping much IMHO. (Google maps says 20 mins extra. I would have thought that was conservative.)

going via wodonga may be good for someone who is uncomfortable on country roads and wants to minimise that, or if you have a very big load or underpowered vehicle.

13. OzSkier

OzSkier One of Us

Today was epic. Today made up for the crappy week (weather wise) that we've had here at Falls..what with the wind holds and rain. Never seen it as good as today and we found stashes of fresh throughout the day. Best day I've ever had here. Nice, dry snow. Loved seeing the dry snow being sprayed off the back of skis and snowboards....and the odd skidoo. Hopefully temperatures should stay cold and I'm hoping tomorrow morning will be awesome too.

Think snow :)

spunk72, Stratus and Conners like this.
  14. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

15. Hully

Hully One of Us

Today - sensational...that is all!

Edgecrusher likes this.
  16. Edgecrusher

One week til I get up there. Fingers crossed for decent conditions.

17. Ziggy

Great day today. Dry snow on a firm base mostly. Queues were OK except for Inter early arvo.

Manners still in short supply among some: standing in front of the lift line chute chatting; not clearing the off ramp promptly; one boarder riding Inter wide and sometimes on a skew (a staff member caught up with him). Flip side was a boarder inviting me to go ahead of his group to make the numbers for a full chair.

Hey Hully, on Friday there were 6 telemarkers spanking Main St at one point.

spunk72 and Hully like this.
  18. soza

soza One of Us

yesterday was another picture perfect bluebird day.

Sunday was also lots of fun but busy with some of the longest lift wait times I have had all season. Still plenty of snow cover with all areas open and looking good....just about to set off for another perfect day on the mountain.

kaegee likes this.
  19. BilbyBill

BilbyBill One of Us

Nice edit. So much better than endless head cam shots. IMHO hand held beats heat mount any time.

kaegee and soza like this.
  20. spunk72

spunk72 Hard Yards

Back from weekend blast... snow great, sunny skies, kids happy, parents happy = a great time!! We ate at Dicky Knees Sat..big mistake... 15 mins in queue to order, 20 mins for food to arrive....not good! Next day went to the Pass... love the ski in and out and take away convenience.
    Big shout out to FC for the Coffee Club deal for Mum's... it was awesome and the lessons really good. Such a great deal.. basically halved my lift ticket cost and I got two two hour lessons! Only four in group Sat, five in group Sun - so split it with two instructors... we had three in ours. I also really enjoyed skiing with other Mums.
    Downside... waiting in queue for 40 mins plus at ticket office on Sat am... we had pre-purchased tix and ski school online but still had to queue... seriously Falls, not that hard just make one register for online pick and ski school only. We nearly missed the kids ski school start.... lots of other Mums in same boat, they were feeling very frustrated with FC and had sent emails, I will do the same with kudos, and some suggestions for improvement. They also need a special lift queue in the morning to help get parents get kids up Falls Express faster...
    Had a laugh coming back to car on Sunday... we were parked outside the supermarket in day street parking at bottom of Slalom Plaza.... some guy had parked two down from us (I though we took last park bay before yellow pole marking end of row).And guess what... the snowclearing truck had taken out the right had side of his bumper and lights.... ouch. I don't know if they were told to park there but the snowclearing guys came up at took responsibility whilst explaining they had to be able to get the trucks out... man, that guy was not happy!

21. soza

soza One of Us

yeah especially when boarding the head mount seems rather pointless. I find it best to use only 20 seconds or so of each run...pole cam gives you a nice front, back and if you can have a mate tail you, follow cam.....mix it up a bit add some music and the most average rider on an average day can feel like they are ripping it up ;)

22. soza

soza One of Us

Yesterdays vid, 5-8-14.
    Conditions very much a carbon copy of the previous two days we were up, like Monday we only had until 1330 before having to dash off to pick the boy up from school so only had about 3.5 hours to play.
    We have found towers, lakeside and scotts area to be the most time effective in number/quality of runs and also in how easy it is to traverse the 3 areas when the crowds descend. For quick laps, if we hit last hoot just before going home as we can do 3 runs in the last half hour....nice end to the day. Will be back up for the weekend.

23. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

We usually leave the Hume on the Ovens Valley Hwy (got caught out by flooding a few times on the Milawa Rd), then the Happy Valley Rd through to the Kiewa Valley HWY. We did take the Tunnel Gap rd when the kids were younger and a bit prone to travel sickness on the windy bits. It's longer, but probably easier.

Sadie likes this.
  24. soza

soza One of Us

Saturday....Went up late in the arvo for the sole purpose of taking the boy night boarding for his birthday. blasting down wombats in the dark is way more fun than I would ever have imagined, free with the hero pass which was a surprise. followed up with a great pizza in the last hoot.
    [​IMG]
    Sunday....We camped down in Mt Beauty and arrived at the resort with a little bit of fresh snow falling....didn't get much. Really could do with another few big dumps. Left early to play crazy golf and have a spa back at camp before hitting sweetwater brewery for some live music and a few nice ales.

Monday...clear bluebird day with an icy wind. Again we only had the morning but had fun and explored most of the lakeside runs.
    [​IMG]
    Tuesday.....I had way too much other stuff I should have been getting on with but couldn't resist a solo mission back up the hill. So glad I did, perfect conditions....almost spring like temps, no crowds and plenty of action around the maze and summit.
    [​IMG][​IMG][/URL][​IMG][/IMG]

25. soza

soza One of Us

you may have seen that Fall creek / Nokia are running a weekly photo competition. Well I won week 6 and picked up a nice new Nikon Coolpix AW120!!..... I finally got to try it out over the last few days (see pics above). Left the gopro at home yesterday and shot this video on the new camera. Tried to capture more resort and landscape shots to give an idea of snow conditions around the mountain......

Apresski, Pollo_ski and spunk72 like this.
  26. Sadie

Sadie Chk Chk Boom Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Looks really nice soza. Great video.

27. soza

soza One of Us

Nice conditions around the resort yesterday but very busy so I grabbed the snow shoes and set of to explore the backcountry. Only headed up around Rocky Knobs and the side closest to ruin castle was pretty tracked out....but found a nice section on the far side of the hill. I wasn't the only person with the same idea and bumped into a few other boarders in the morning. Absolutely spectacular scenery and views once you get out and explore a bit ....... ahhh, starting to dream about longer winters and a ski-doo.

28. Sadie

Sadie Chk Chk Boom Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

We headed out there yesterday afternoon as well and I said the same thing, would love a skidoo LOL

It was a beautiful day. Snow has held up nicely. It is getting soft and heavy though in places. We had a ripper day. I was so buggered that I slept all the way home to Bright :zzz:

soza likes this.
  29. Chondro

Chondro One of Us

Today is disgusting.
    yesterday arvo was great up top .
    wet rain affected snow all over hte mountain

summit/scotts/eagle all closed atm still

30. Edgecrusher

Ugh, yuk. Was bad enough last week with the bottom half of all north facing runs turning to slush after 11am. With no Eagle and Scotts, there goes most of your decent riding over the back, where the snow was holding up nicely with plenty of firm dryness and quality lines.

31. Cozzie

Cozzie Hard Yards

Went to Falls over the weekend. Though the weather was good on Sat, and all runs was open the snow was a bit hard at certain areas. It did soften up more in the arvo. Sun was bad after 12pm, soaked wet.

32. Chondro

Chondro One of Us

Bluebird awesome day today.
    Snow is in good condition

Unfortunately I think ski in ski out days are limited. Some sections have lost snow and you need to unclip to get through.

Could have some pushed around by groomers hopefully to fix it tho

33. Edgecrusher

The same happened last week with the roads. They did move a bit of snow around to cover the asphalt in places which had opened up, at least around on the road down from Village Bowl to Gully

34. Chondro

Chondro One of Us

Ah cool.
    That corner near the school is fully exposed now- same with a few other full exposed patches maybe 10mtr in length

35. soza

soza One of Us

was up yesterday, first time since Saturday and was surprised by how much snow we had lost in that time...milky way, fast hoot and days end shortcut wont be with us much longer and the over the maze side some spots around rollercoaster looked unhealthy. Bit saddened by it all actually....just worked out I have had 42 days boarding this year (inc Japan) and I can sense my endless winter dying down.....
    little clip of conditions yesterday

36. mick chopps

mick chopps Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

North facing slopes, no big surprise. Not in any way concerned.

37. snowduck

snowduck One of Us

Kangaroo Hoppet tomorrow

38. mick chopps

mick chopps Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

warm. prolly do it in tshirt and shorts.

39. snowduck

snowduck One of Us

40. Ziggy

Snow cams are down at the mo. Has it been raining today? The mercury has stayed above freezing so far.

41. Hully

Hully One of Us

Yep.

42. BilbyBill

BilbyBill One of Us

Is it my imagination that the web cams go down more often on a bad day?

43. snowduck

snowduck One of Us

Summit Cam showing an image @ 4:50PM

Ziggy likes this.
  44. Ziggy

Ah, so young and so cynical.
    It's probably just water in the electrical connections.
    The work experience student is sent out with an eye dropper.

45. Ziggy

46. Hully

Hully One of Us

If you are suggesting some sort of conspiracy theory then yes it is your imagination. There is probably some truth that they go down more during bad weather events as obviously there is more happening (rain, lightening, ice etc) that can affect coms. I have not been up higher than Howman's today but there were thunderstorms forecast and have heard some thunder....often lift coms are shut down as a preventative measure because of damage that can be caused by lightening strike.

47. soza

soza One of Us

Thursday we headed off up and out past Rocky Knolls, not a track to be found after the rain and light dusting early in the week. Only had a couple of runs but with the spring type conditions it was like carving thought soft butter.
    [​IMG]
    Saturday was a solo mission and a play on my old board, forgot I was in my 40`s and hit the drovers terrain park....didn't last long, stacked it on a small rail and rolled around for a bit.
    Today 24-8-14
    Again a solo mission but arrived nice and early to jump on international poma at 0830 and have half a dozen runs down zipper and widow maker before the crowds picked up and the rain started. head over to scotts and castle but ended up back at the poma for a bit of shelter.
    Gore tex.....new jacket, how amazing is the stuff.....just need some pants now.
    todays vid, actually had a lot of fun this morning....

mick chopps likes this.
  48. Pollo_ski

Pollo_ski Hard Yards

Quick Report.

Dinner at the Man last night (not too bad).

Picked up +1's and kids ski gear from Central Snowsports (friendly and helpful).

Firm and icy in the morning with some of the runs with pushed around sugar later on.

Before ski school Junior Polli and I did a couple of quick runs down Powderkeg. Then spent most of the day over at ruined castle and scotts lifts as well as Lakeside.

Scotty's run wasn't groomed and a bit icy early on.

Once the kids finished ski school headed down drovers to the terrain park with Junior Pollo. With sago starting to fall we ended up heading back to the bottom of the village.

Sunscreen applied twice yet not enough.

Ski Tragic and Ziggy like this.
  49. Ziggy

It was quite a mix of conditions this morning. Started wet windy and foggy and got better. The virgin corduroy was hydrolubed and quite fast. Off piste was sticky. A stiff breeze mandated skating to get across the ridge to Sun Valley and a tuck position to glide to the lift queues. By mid day the snow was gelato and the sun shining.

50. Gamera MC

Gamera MC Hard Yards

Icey early, got first tracks down drovers, rolled through the park. liftees told me at the bottom they are going to close it till it softens (fair enough). Headed straight to summit and inter for the softening snow. Like a racetrack up top and softening down below by 9am, did enjoy.
    Had the BC awareness session out at Mt Mckay - great day for it.

[​IMG]

We got to ride some amazing corn on the way back
    [​IMG]

Afterwards I couldn't resist some Rocky Knolls Corn
    [​IMG]

soza, Edgecrusher and Ziggy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.