1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Report Falls Creek 2014 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by Ian D, Jun 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah, a pitch I could tele down yesterday was side slip territory this morning. A guy ahead of me hit the deck and slid for some distance.

Off piste sure was nice in places; Boomerang was still untouched at 2.30.

2. Hunter

Hunter Part of the Furniture Endless Winter Ski Pass: Gold

Had some great skiing this season at Falls. So good to see inter in such good shape.
    The lift operators have clearly spent time instructing the lifties to to be be friendly and upbeat, very noticeable this season.
    Scanning system is fantastic worked fast every time, better than japanese version actually.
    Oversnow was good again, still has some work to do, the oversnow station is poorly signed and needs someone "on the floor" directing people.
    Clound nine still the pits.

spunk72 likes this.
  3. soza

soza One of Us

Gamera MC "Had the BC awareness session out at Mt Mckay - great day for it."

is this same as the Steve Lee tours or something else they are offering? ....... sounds interesting

4. Gamera MC

Gamera MC Hard Yards

soza likes this.
  5. soza

soza One of Us

Tuesday the 26th, Got all the way to Mt Beauty and realised I had not put by boots in the car...aarrgh. $30 later I was in some ill fitting smelly hire boots and enjoying another lovely day around summit and international. youtube clip very similar to the last few weeks....blue sky n corn.

6. Gamera MC

Gamera MC Hard Yards

@soza Wednesday was the last listed day, but if your keen id suggest calling ski patrol and enquiring. Have to imagine there would have been a few that couldn't make the mid week days. The guys were super friendly and helpful!

7. soza

soza One of Us

yeah just read the links, looks like a great course and something I would have done if known.....I will try make contact and see if anything planned for September

8. soza

soza One of Us

Just called ski patrol about the backcountry awareness sessions, sounds like they may be running some more.
    Anyone else interested give them a call on 03 5758 3502

Ziggy and Hully like this.
  9. Ziggy

Conditions were challenging but rewarding today. The fresh snow was a nice kicker for spring but needed hunting; it got blown off the tops so lee sides and trees were the places to go. Sun Valley runs were a patchwork of fresh and ice with an even surface. Main St sported four telemarkers at one point. South Face was good; the base hadn't frozen overnight and some freshies on top made for a surprisingly predictable snowpack. I had the RC lift all to myself for an hour or so and quit at about three with a beard full of icicles - a rare event in Sept.

And the lifties at the top of Summit and Inter deserve a week's worth of spa tickets :clap: They were getting the full blast of the cold southerly.

Stratus likes this.
  10. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Well done! Envious re Sth Face. Checked out that area and Boomerang when touring out to PV with weerab prior to hoppet. Have not skied that area for a few years, but that's another story. Keen to get out that way again. Go Z.

11. Ziggy

:)

19 mm of precip so far today. Don't know how that translates to snow depth added. Currently -4.

12. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates One of Us

Looks like it is starting to settle on the Cedarwood Table, here's hoping.

13. mick chopps

mick chopps Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Sidecountry today was great. Rocky Knolls and back side of Summit. Dry wind loaded snow on the SW and West facing aspects giving way to creamy goodness in the arvo.

14. Ziggy

15. soza

soza One of Us

Six days since my last trip up to falls and was starting to go through withdrawl !.
    lovely day yesterday still lots of cover on sun valley with scotts and castle been particularly fun. All lifts listed as open but lots of terrain gone....maze is closed, zipper, widow, international still open and poma running but your rock hopping big sections. Village side they are doing there best to keep wombats, days end and broadway going but as always its a battle with nature. Still heaps of fun to be had when the snow is slushy but not sticky and the sun is shining. We have friends coming down from Sydney and will be having a few nights at cedarwood this week, sure its not ski in ski out anymore but the village and apre remain fun.
    Yesterdays footage.....and a bit of a play with the 100fps setting,

Ziggy likes this.
  16. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

another brilliant email this morning

17. BillyKidd

BillyKidd One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Currently pissing down. Lifts were closed all morning with wind hold. Still crap out but company has opened a few token lifts (drovers, eagle, etc) to avoid having to extend full day credits. Snow is nowhere near reported levels. All the usual BS. NorthEast News at it again with the Hotham and Falls News with puff pieces on the "brilliant" season. Certainly good snow in late July (week of the 26th was the best). But it has been a very average season at best.

18. Squidly

Squidly One of Us

Depends on your expectations, I was there last week with the fresh snow and cold temps, although I've seen it a lot better, it was still pretty good (no queues as well). This week would be another story, but it is September!

19. emkae

emkae One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Average season....??? Interesting point of view

I saw: All lifts operating late June/early July, > 1 metre snow depth by early July........

When were the "good" seasons ?

20. Sadie

Sadie Chk Chk Boom Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

I don't think it has been average either. The rocks and bumps we were jumping off last year have been covered all season.
    Looking at the cams they have sure lost a bit now.

21. mick chopps

mick chopps Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Below average from the point of view of fresh snowfall during the peak but not sure anyone could say all terrain open from the beginning of July to end of August is average. We were 3 August top ups away from epic.

22. JimH

JimH Hard Yards

I'll call it average if lifts still turning at end of Sept .. bet the lift company hopes it can last till the school holidays

23. Sadie

Maybe it was average and last year was dismal?

24. BillyKidd

Last year was dismal. This year not so but certainly an average one. Mind you that is on the rolling average comparison which is not necessarily improving. What is interesting is that with conditions yesterday - absolutely pissing down - 3 lifts opened in the afternoon. When I say pissing I mean you're in a pool. Now if that isn't English (lift company) cynicism then I'll eat my hat. Some poor bastard enquired about a ticket credit which you would think would be a given. When told there was a form, a wait of possibly several weeks and it could only be submitted at one office he figured they were not serious. Who could blame him?

25. sbt99

sbt99 Hard Yards

Hi team falls,
    Planning a trip first week of the school holidays (Sept 20) and I'm wondering what the cover is really like up there, I was there same time last year and I had a great time

26. Hully

Hully One of Us

Much better than same time last year. Skied today and had some good runs...no real freeze overnight. Summit not being groomed anymore but still some nice bumpy and un-bumpy lines to pick (don't know how much longer it will hold out). Backside all very good cover, obviously some areas are bare and there are the usual creeks breaking through but not enough to affect skiing. Off piste really nice as it softens during the morning/early arvo for those astute enough to look. Broadway and Wombat's back to Village full cover, just a slow ski.

27. OzSkier

OzSkier One of Us

Had a surprisingly good weekend at Falls. Weather was great with bugger all crowds. Nice slushy bumps down St Elmo's. Summit has some nice slush bumps with some obstacles but still fun and challenging. Scotty's was fantastic in the mornings. My favourite warm up area, Lakeside, was starting to get a bit thin at the top of where it opens up and becomes steeper.

Think snow :)

28. BillyKidd

Well, let's be realistic. Looking up at the Summit today the place is patchy as all get out. You can still ski it but you are looking out for rocks and patches. So too with Skyline and the Village run. A little snowmaking on Thursday night but not a lot. Gully is closed. Eagle moves you across zero snow until the top. Scotty's, Ruined Castle and Sun Valley/Fosters are reasonably skiable in the morning (get out by 8:30) until about 11:30 - 12:00 when you are skiing in very slushy, slow stuff. Towers, Lakeside ditto. Upshot - passable but extremely limited Spring skiing. One good rain event or on-going warm weather will kill it. XC grooming has ended. Certainly very few people - but to be fair - for a reason, the season is effectively over. Half day skiing out back is OK but I don't think now worth the drive/flight effort and cost to do it. Leave it until next year or save your dollars and head OS for the northern winter.

29. Hully

Hully One of Us

When did you last actually ski at Falls this season? Spent the day out today and it was nice in the morning and very slow by midday....no overnight freeze for a couple of days. Summit just about done. Village was closed by patrol today and summit on it's last legs. Skied alright on sweep, but sure had to pick a line

The person above said they had a "great time" same week last year. As I said, things are better than same time last year. You have made some major assumptions about their expectations re flights, potential overseas skiing, wait till next season. They may well be somebody who does one day a year at low cost (maybe from local area) and clearly was happy with what they had last year.

30. currawong

i didn't ski on the weekend, for reasons not related to conditions. Others who stayed at the lodge had a good time, especially the mornings. Corn was good for those who didn't just stay on groomers

Hully likes this.
  31. JimH

JimH Hard Yards

From what I remember of last year ... Summit closed during the last week and wombat's ramble turned to mud in a couple of the places on about Wednesday of the last week so looking like it's going to be about the same as last year for anyone heading up for last week of the season / first week of Vic school holidays

Hully likes this.
  32. OzSkier

OzSkier One of Us

I wouldn't even say it was corn off piste. Was pure slush....which in my opinion is much better.

33. BillyKidd

Relax Hully. Skied it last on Saturday. Haven't been out since but may head out tomorrow if the weather lifts. No idea what their expectations are - just calling it as it is (sans the marketing hype and claims).

34. Hully

Hully One of Us

No marketing hype or claims from me (in fact Falls marketing don't really like me much), just calling what I experienced first hand.

35. OzSkier

OzSkier One of Us

Awesome weekend of spring skiing. Snow firm in the mornings before softening up for some slushy fun later. Took lots of video footage this time 'round to remember the great season we've had. Warmups down Main St before Scotty's while it was still firm. St Elmo's was great later in the day...then headed for Rapunzel's once Elmo's starting shading over. Dark side and Sundown were great later in the day too.

Majikthise and Edgecrusher like this.
  36. Sadie

I wonder what it will be like by the weekend. We are spending the weekend in Bright for Grand Final. Heading to Bright possibly Thursday night and coming home Monday. Wondering if it will be worth going up for a day. Hrmm decisions.

37. Hully

Hully One of Us

Gotta agree with OzSkier, the spring skiing yesterday was great. The overnight freeze of the past couple of nights has meant the day started with a firm fast surface. Scott's skiing fantastic with great cover....all south side on piste areas that have snow making are holding really good cover and off piste is skiing really well with only a need to pick lines around uncovered bushes and creek openings. Had a couple of nice lines down Darkside on great corn. Overall, considering that there has been close enough to no natural snow since start of August, Falls is holding up really well. This week things could change quickly with high overnight temps and rain later in the week forecast.

38. Amelia1810

Amelia1810 One of Us

39. BilbyBill

BilbyBill One of Us

Hmmm.. looks like it.

40. currawong

LOL

Not this time. My season is over.

41. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates One of Us

The snow was slow and wet this morning but the temp dropped for a little while when the sun came out and the snow firmed up a tad. Rain came back this arvo and now it is p!55ing down. Not looking forward to getting back out there in the morning.

42. soza

soza One of Us

Had Sunday and Tuesday up the hill. plenty of fun to be had with hardly anyone around, sure cover is a bit bare in places but compared to this time last year we still have more than just groomers to choose from.
    Fun to be had rock hopping and bush swerving on nice buttery trails.....day 35 for me 18 for the boy and other half. Will be up on the week end for our last rides....on snow.
    Have noticed the nice flowing single track under falls express so will be up on the pushy this summer.

Tuesday

43. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates One of Us

Just finishing off a week at FC - the kids made today's snow report photos - (no,they're not Umpa Loompas).

The snow was holding up in most places around the mountain, my pick of the day was Rapunzels scooting around the rocks and soft bumps.

[​IMG]

OzSkier and currawong like this.
  44. Amelia1810

Amelia1810 One of Us

Season 2014 timelapse's!

Falls Creek Express
    -

Main Street/Towers -

Ruined Castle -

Summit Run -

Enjoy! :cool:

Pollo_ski, Bluebird, Hully and 3 others like this.
  45. Hully

Hully One of Us

Fantastic work....as is typically the case, the Summit is the one that tells the Falls Creek story. I really appreciate your efforts. Cheers Pete

46. snowduck

snowduck One of Us

Thank you, Amelia :thumbs:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.