Snow Report Falls Creek 2017 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by D-eye, Jan 30, 2017.

1. D-eye

D-eye Photographer and skier

Season 2017

2. Stratus

Stratus Addicted Member

I observe grass.

3. Chaeron

Chaeron Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

and bikes

4. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Looks like they might have had a tiny dusting

5. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Looks cold and horrible....only folk happy would be the CFA and DSE.

Ground moisture on lower slopes has increased a little! Need more than ones underwear on at moment.....:emoji_mountain_bicyclist::emoji_bicyclist::emoji_bikini:

6. Edgecrusher

Edgecrusher Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Falls Creek pls
    Just received an email:
    Subject: Summer Snow A Reminder To Book Now For Winter 2017

Body of email:
    "The snow showed up for an early dress rehearsal this week, generating a lot of excitement about the coming season, on the mountain and off.

The phones at the Falls Creek Reservations Centre have been running hot, and some of the most popular accommodation options are already filling up fast for the school holidays and on peak weekends.

The good news is there are still plenty of great properties available across the season and incredible deals on stay and ski packages for our famous White Space dates."

7. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

All that under a winter photo complete with grooming machine.
    :puke:

Darren Donald and Edgecrusher like this.
  8. thitchman

thitchman Just Registered

Hi everyone,
    I am planning on traveling up to falls creek 25th-29th June with a few beginner friends who have never boarded/skied before. What is the chances that nothing is open? From looking at the trip conditions/reports over the past few years it looks like Wombat's will be open at the very least, but I thought I would consult the experts! Also, what is the chance of a ski-in ski-out village? I want my friends to experience the magic of playing in the snow etc. Our dates are set in stone and accom booked so we really will just have to make the most of what happens but hopefully I can get an idea of what to expect. Thank you!

9. POW_hungry

POW_hungry Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

50/50 chance IMO. One things forsure, beginners are usually the first of any experience level to be catered for in terms of terrain open so you'll have fun eitherway, even if it's on man-made base.
    I am thinking that because you're a beginner you're probably not exactly 'needing' ski-in/ski/out... Whilst I am not all that familiar with FC, seldom will you have many ski-in/ski-out options that suit beginners so I am thinking it's not going to make much difference for you anyway?
    Go in with low expectations (of man-made cover) and you may just be pleasantly surprised come June.

Darren Donald likes this.
  10. thitchman

Thank you for your quick reply! I am not a beginner myself so personally hoping for as much snow as possible (which I'm sure we all are!), but as long as there is enough to go down the mountain a few times I will be happy :)

11. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

June is always risky and I would advise people never to book then till they see snow on the ground. If you want off-peak rates, september is a much safer bet. Softening snow, longer days and more chance of sunny days are also good for beginners.

Chance of ski-in/ski-out is low but not impossible.
    School holidays start on 1 July so they will be all out trying to get at least mousetrap, main street and wombats open (followed by highway 83 and drovers). Wombats, mousetrap and main street have good snowmaking but it still needs low temps and low humidity. In 2015 I don't think anything would have been open that week.

Hopefully your friends might see some snow falling, even a little is magic.

Corduroyqueen and Darren Donald like this.
  12. thitchman

Thank you for your reply! June is the only time we could go unfortunately so we will have to make the best of whatever happens. Two of the people I am going with have never seen snow, so it will be as much about the magic of seeing it all for the first time as it will be actually skiing or boarding. Fingers crossed for some snow falling as well, I want their first experience to be as good as mine! I am spoiled in that I have snowboarded in Japan for the past two years, but went up to Bulla last year for a weekend and still had fun in the slush :D. Thanks again!

13. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 Well-Known Member

Congratulations to you Thitchman. You are obviously the driver of this venture with your friends and if they can experience some of the things I have enjoyed in Australia's winter alpine wonderland, they will be stoked. Some of the regular forum members might well forget the excitement and anticipation of 'first tracks' in the snow. Figuring out what gear to borrow, buy or rent, whether to try snowboarding, skiing or just settle for snow play? All of these things are great things to look forward to. I truly hope your friends get to experience their first snowfall, they really are magical and so many Australians will never experience it. They might be happy to have" been there done that" but then again, one or two might be hooked for life!

Corduroyqueen and Darren Donald like this.
  14. fmdc9

fmdc9 Active Member

Last few days of june is pretty safe for some skiing. Cant remember a year when there wasnt something open.

15. chriscross

chriscross Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Not much fun, though, if everyone is on man-made cover coming down Wombats. Potentially dangerous and scary for beginners, not unlike Bourke St.

16. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

If it's before school holidays then it isn't too bad for crowds. Once vic school holidays start, then it is hell if not much is open. In 2015 they were opening the only lifts early in 2nd week of school hols - 7:30 IIRC. I was only skiing till 9ish then going home before it got too scarey.

Corduroyqueen likes this.
  17. exe

exe Just Registered

hi, hello everyone, i am new here,, i will go to australia at the next may, and i looking for a good ski resort to be the entire season, wich is for you the best option, to practice snowboard and work, thks!!!

18. BillyKidd

BillyKidd Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

Falls Creek is very good for both. You can check out work online via the Falls Creek website etc. Good luck!

19. thitchman

Hi everyone. I am going on a trip to Falls late June this year with a few friends. I was looking into purchasing lift passes etc and had a few questions! We are students going for a 4 day trip from Monday-Thursday so hoping to reduce costs as much as possible :)

Firstly, if the snow isn't great and only limited lifts are open will the lift passes be discounted in price at all? Not sure how likely that is but thought I would ask. And if I purchase passes in advance to take advantage of the 15% discount, would they refund me the difference if the price was to be reduced?
    My current plan is to buy the student lift pass for the Monday and then get a 3 day pass for the Tues-Thurs. Is this the most cost effective way to do it? Also, it looks as though you cannot by a student pass online?

Any advice would be really appreciated! Thanks :)

20. almontyrat

almontyrat Well-Known Member
    Season Pass Silver

Why don't you ring them up and ask them
    https://estore.skifalls.com.au/eStoreFC/Default.aspx
    Contact information at the bottom of the page

21. thitchman

almontyrat likes this.
  22. Hully

Hully Dedicated Member

Fun day yesterday on limited man made cover. The Mainstreet glacier continues to defy climate change, with a skiable cover on Highway 83 as well. IMO Wombats Ramble should only be used to return to the village....only just passable in some places.

23. Sadie

Sadie Chk Chk Boom

I agree. It was a mud pit around Windy Corner car park by 3pm. We had a great day.

pegasusSki likes this.
  24. Chaeron

Chaeron Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Almost snow enough to ski on Drover's Dream -but it wouldn't hold up under traffic it's ungroomed though, but I reckon it will be opened soon.

25. Stick

Stick Active Member

I thought FC held up reasonably well. I boarded Saturday & Sunday morning and was surprised at how well Main St & Highway held up. As mentioned above avoid Wombats until absolutely necessary, patchy cover in places.

Chaeron and Sadie like this.
  26. Richard

Richard Addicted Member
    Administrator

Can anyone recall how much snow fell on the 7th June ?

27. Chaeron

Chaeron Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

I think it was 5cm, but not 100% sure - there was an earlier dump the week before.

28. 73RNR

73RNR Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

starting to look like winter

Corduroyqueen likes this.
  29. Hamburglar

Hamburglar Active Member

I see the village is now closed to traffic even though the roads are clear of snow. Why do they do this?

30. Karicta

Karicta Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Safety Money

Froff Life and Chaeron like this.
  31. rowdyflat

rowdyflat Active Member

definitely to gouge money

32. nezumi

nezumi Active Member

I can see it now:
    "You have to use the oversnow service to get your luggage to your accommodation"
    "I have to use the oversnow, even when there's no snow?"
    "That's right"

33. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

2 reasons. Safety is one. School holidays started this weekend, at least for Qld, so there is a jump in foot traffic on the roads and the closure of the village roads coincides with this. The other is economic viability of the "accommodation transfer service" now that it is outsourced again. By guaranteeing the number of weeks they can operate, it allows the operator to better manage resources and keep prices down. When they brought this in last year they did reduce the price. Nice if you come in August, not so much if you come in late June. IIRC stats indicate that on average the "oversnow on black roads" situation would only arise for a week or 2 a year. It's a PITA but not that unreasonable.

Chaeron and Hamburglar like this.
  34. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Good news is that gully is now running for foot traffic, unlike in 2015 when the conditions were similar.

#34 currawong, Jun 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    Corduroyqueen, Chaeron and 73RNR like this.
  35. Scott No Mates Ver 1.1

Looking like a late start at this stage. Not to forget that we did get snowmageddon just before school holidays in previous years.

36. Hamburglar

Hamburglar Active Member

Can someone please enlighten me regarding what the snow report is referring to as the "Drovers Hike Park". Is this Drovers Terrain park (which I assume is closed) or something different?

Chaeron likes this.
  37. Hully

Hully Dedicated Member

3 or 4 boxes and rails skier's left of the Drover's unload. Total of about 50mt long so not worth skiing/boarding to the bottom of Towers to access the top.

Hamburglar likes this.
  38. emkae

emkae Active Member
    Season Pass Gold

What is the setup on Main Street that I can see in the snow cam ? Some kind of racing happening ? How long for?

39. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

some burton thing I think, just for today.

IIRC there are usually a small number of races in school holidays too

40. emkae

emkae Active Member
    Season Pass Gold

Given the limited terrain available, this takes up a lot of space and with the crowds starting this weekend, it will be pretty busy out there

41. Hully

Hully Dedicated Member

It was there yesterday, not really impacting that much on ski terrain. It's in that little natural half pipe that most don't really ski much. IMO until significantly more terrain opens they would be better off keeping a small park there over the next couple of weeks and leaving full width of Drover's for teaching terrain.

#41 Hully, Jun 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  42. emkae

emkae Active Member
    Season Pass Gold

That Towers cam is all over the shop. First it was looking at Main Street, next time I checked it was the bottom station of the chair and now it is looking up the hill towards Lakeside poma

43. Hully

Hully Dedicated Member

It always done that....it cycles through a number of views. All of the Falls cams do it. Why Gully sometimes shows car park and other times Inter and Slalom Plaza sometimes lift queue and other times Wombat's.

Chaeron and currawong like this.
  44. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

this

Chaeron likes this.
  45. Chaeron

Chaeron Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

A good day today at Falls. Main Street holding up well & Drovers Dream also good. Highway 83 upper section icy but solid, intermediate section some grass, but skiable on the side, & the lower bit good but soft. Wombats also holding up well.

Some observations -

1) they've currently got little humps spread all down Wombats - boarders using them for jumps, but it means they've got a reserve of spreadable snow all the way down.

2) the current low temperatures, even in the absence of fresh snow has meant that the latter part of the day hasn't been slushy, rather, the snow has stayed dry, with the loose stuff a bit 'powdery', rather than sticky - so skiing has been pleasanter than anticipated.

3) the extra snow anticipated later this week should enable them to open up Scotty's and maybe the area next to the Lakeside poma, but it's going to take at least another 70cm before the front side of the mountain which is currently fully green can be opened. The Rocky Knolls are also devoid of snow, so slack country is off for the moment.

4) Pity the cross-country skiers - there's not much there for them at the moment

5) The backcountry should come alive by the end of the week once there's enough ground cover to dust Heathy Spur and also enough to top up Mt Nelse which already looks promising.

46. lardarse

lardarse New Member

Well it's raining with sleet up the top. Total BS of the marketing of the place.

Anyone have any good suggestions on pubs to meet other people / chill with as I'm flying solo!

Attached Files:

47. lardarse

lardarse New Member

Wind Hold.

Attached Files:

48. Scooter

Scooter Dedicated Member

Interesting - often wondered why the Falls Express cam sometimes showed a view up towards Wombats and then other times to the base load area (notice it in the thumbnail view). Thanks for the explanation @Hully

Just on this cam - this year seems really crappy (picture/res etc.). Anyone else reckon that was the case? I remember in previous years it used to have the rock wall in the foreground and it used to be good for seeing fresh snowfalls (so quality/res was decent etc. and easy to see fresh snow on the roof of the chair base). This year anytime I have checked it has just been an overall crappy quality image (i.e. cant make out much)...

Also I notice that Eagle hasn't spun up yet this season? Does that mean all the folks staying over that side (village bowl etc.) need to use the intra village shuttle or walk over to Falls Express to get up to Cloud Nine (still called that?)? Seems a pretty crappy deal if so and guess I always assumed they would have ensured snowmaking from the top of Eagle offload and the traverse to get over to Cloud Nine so at least Eagle could be used to clear that side of the village to the top.

49. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

FC Hotel is a nice pub (only open to the public during the day IIRC). Tue & Thur pms are Harvey Hour with live music.
    Bar at Astra is pretty social I think. Be Food is a cafe but licenced and pretty social. Stingray is likely to be busy but IME not very social.

50. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

you would think so wouldn't you. Even if you have to walk from Eagle to C9 it would be a better option for many and they used to do that a bit. In recent years they haven't opened Eagle till Scotts/Ruined were open. Things might change next year, fingerrs crossed.