Snow Report Falls Creek 2017 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

leigh the noob

Hard Yards
Jul 26, 2015
Melbourne
Long lift queues I understand today.
Not so much from what I saw. Sat was pretty busy maybe 10:00-11:30, at which time I went to have lunch. Then from about 12:15 onwards, lift queues not that long at all (apart from a few occasions of people/kids trying to ride lakeside but falling off, or towers stopping 4 times on a single ride up, causing a backlog) compared to what I expected for such a great day on a weekend.

Slide Sideways

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 2, 2012
Going too fast? I drove up and down every day Tues - Sat, and don't think I slipped once. But then I always seemed to be pulling over to the side to let other faster vehicles overtake (except for buses which I did overtake a few when they pulled over); I thought maybe I was going to slow and conservative.

No speeding....I drive that road very often during a snow season. I don't speed in snow covered road, drive very smart and cautiously. Was around 7.30am when we crossed the bridge. Simply didn't expect it to be so icy. Obviously I wasn't the only one who had a little moment.
I like you, pull over for folk that treat that road like a race track then wave as these race goers pull in to pay the toll while I use the season pass lane.

Hully

One of Us
May 6, 2004
Kiewa Valley
No speeding....I drive that road very often during a snow season. I don't speed in snow covered road, drive very smart and cautiously. Was around 7.30am when we crossed the bridge. Simply didn't expect it to be so icy. Obviously I wasn't the only one who had a little moment.
I like you, pull over for folk that treat that road like a race track then wave as these race goers pull in to pay the toll while I use the season pass lane.
It was extremely icy. I crossed it a little earlier that morning. I was expecting ice and the bridge delivered.... the Defender (with winter rated tyres) slid but I was expecting it and driving at a speed where I could avoid contact with the rail. The snow clearers put a heap of grit, and a warning sign, on it not long after.

Hamburglar

Hard Yards
Jul 1, 2016
Great day today. Blue sky as far as they eye could see. Much better than the low visibility, windy, cold, icy snow day yesterday. Some good groomers early this morning and some time over at Summit and the Maze this afternoon. Haven't really experienced the maze before as it has always been shut when I have been there. Can't believe how much snow is around.

Ziggy

A Local
Aug 24, 2003
BC was terrific too. A bit warmer than Sunday so the patches of boilerplate had softened. There were some areas of peculiar stuff like a cross between honeycomb and sastrugi.
It looks like spring conditions are starting.

Reactions: Scott No Mates

Hully

One of Us
May 6, 2004
Kiewa Valley
How soft is the cover now
Not up skiing today, but yesterday in the arvo the lower front side went soft and slow....that typical unstructured first melt before thaw/freeze. The backside softened a bit but stayed relatively dry and quick. Negative temps overnight and into today so should be skiing ok IMO.

DbSki

Old n' Crusty
Jun 19, 2012
Melb
Not up skiing today, but yesterday in the arvo the lower front side went soft and slow....that typical unstructured first melt before thaw/freeze. The backside softened a bit but stayed relatively dry and quick. Negative temps overnight and into today so should be skiing ok IMO.

I was at Buller yesterday and it turned to slow snot in the arvfo
So soft no grooming done after the weekend so it was hacked up big time too.
Looking at Tomorrow and Fri at Falls or wait till after weekend see if it cools down a bit

Hully

One of Us
May 6, 2004
Kiewa Valley
I was at Buller yesterday and it turned to slow snot in the arvfo
So soft no grooming done after the weekend so it was hacked up big time too.
Looking at Tomorrow and Fri at Falls or wait till after weekend see if it cools down a bit
I'll be skiing tomorrow and Friday.... plenty of grooming being done every night and temps definitely back down. Don't forget Hoppet Saturday if coming on the weekend.

Last edited:

DbSki

Old n' Crusty
Jun 19, 2012
Melb
I'll be skiing tomorrow and Friday.... plenty off grooming being done every night and temps definitely back down. Don't forget Hoppet Saturday if coming on the weekend.

Not going on weekend
Just thinking a few cooler nights it might be firmer after the weekend.

Reactions: Hully

Hamburglar

Hard Yards
Jul 1, 2016
It was a bit icy this morning after the softening yesterday and a cold night. Raining now, trying hard to snow.

Ziggy

A Local
Aug 24, 2003
Good grief, what a day.
After several bluebird days ending in the Hoppet it seems the curtains closed overnight for a little makeover.
It was snowin n blowin when I got out first thing so it was good for a punt on skinny skis around Sun Valley on a fresh downy carpet of virgin snow. Out before the groomer!
Then the clouds started to break up so it was repair to the piste. Lol, skiing on the south side was in slow mo against the wind and plumes of snow.
By arvo the freshies were trashed so it was a hunt for stashes.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
hoppet day (saturday ) was perfect for the race. competitors were stoked by the perfect day: firm and fast but not icy, blue sky and hardly a breeze (until afternoon). only unhappy person was local favourite Phillip Bellingham (aussie olympian) who got pipped on the line. 42km in under 1 hour 40.

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
hoppet day (saturday ) was perfect for the race. competitors were stoked by the perfect day: firm and fast but not icy, blue sky and hardly a breeze (until afternoon). only unhappy person was local favourite Phillip Bellingham (aussie olympian) who got pipped on the line. 42km in under 1 hour 40.
Average speed - 25km/h....impressive

Reactions: currawong

DbSki

Old n' Crusty
Jun 19, 2012
Melb
I skied at ludicrous speed today down the slot.
Fully groomed and empty.
Got a bit of GoFlog POV video.
Was fast icy cover on top, nice
Blue sky all day till about 2 and a few puffy clouds, got cold very fast.
Be firm tomorrow too I reckon.
Last trip was end of 2015, lots more cover this time and glad to find the Maze open and all front valley in the trees runs under the chairs and parts thereabout.

Was expecting some action in the maze but found better and steeper elsewhere.
I'm guessing maze is great if it fresh deep cover but little of that today.

Reactions: Chaeron

Chaeron

Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
28323616_Unknown.JPG
Scotty's and Ruined Castle on Sunday afternoon, from the Rocky Knolls.

Hamburglar

Hard Yards
Jul 1, 2016
Looks like I will have an unexpected couple of weeks off work mid September. I thought I might leave kids with the wife and make some more use of my hero pass. Any recommendations for cheap accomodation for a single in Falls? Would be happy with a cupboard.

weerab

One of Us
Jul 13, 2009
Beautiful Altona Victoria
So, you have finally worked out how to post pics, very nice they are indeed! The side country trips to Rocky knobs and M******t Bowl were definitely the highlight of my few days at Falls last week. Thanks to your good self and Ziggy!

I know we did use the lifts to access the higher ground but I have really gone off downhill skiing per se. Always having to look over your shoulder to avoid collision is a real PIA. Compare that experience with our little tour off Frying Pan Spur. Apart from a brief encounter with 3 snowmobiles, we did not see any other skiers for the duration.

I like your pic of the creek, I noticed that the snow at the edge of Watchbed creek on Friday had to be a good 2 metres!

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
So, you have finally worked out how to post pics, very nice they are indeed! The side country trips to Rocky knobs and M******t Bowl were definitely the highlight of my few days at Falls last week. Thanks to your good self and Ziggy!

I know we did use the lifts to access the higher ground but I have really gone off downhill skiing per se. Always having to look over your shoulder to avoid collision is a real PIA. Compare that experience with our little tour off Frying Pan Spur. Apart from a brief encounter with 3 snowmobiles, we did not see any other skiers for the duration.

I like your pic of the creek, I noticed that the snow at the edge of Watchbed creek on Friday had to be a good 2 metres!
Funny story about M******t Bowl today. A friend went out there on AT skis, had a lovely ski down the deserted slope. At the bottom he was very surprised when a ski patroller skied down to him. Patroller was concerned that he was lost or didn't have skins. Friend explained that not only did he have kicker skins in his pocket, but the pattern bases would be sufficient anyway. Ski patroller called in a skidoo for himself and thanked friend for the lovely ski. Friend climbed up and did it again.

Reactions: Ubiquitous Steve

Chaeron

Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
Funny story about M******t Bowl today. A friend went out there on AT skis, had a lovely ski down the deserted slope. At the bottom he was very surprised when a ski patroller skied down to him. Patroller was concerned that he was lost or didn't have skins. Friend explained that not only did he have kicker skins in his pocket, but the pattern bases would be sufficient anyway. Ski patroller called in a skidoo for himself and thanked friend for the lovely ski. Friend climbed up and did it again.
LOL

Ziggy

A Local
Aug 24, 2003
Fast and hard on the south side this morning.

BTW a fox was seen running across Drover's at about 9.

Reactions: Chaeron

Hamburglar

Hard Yards
Jul 1, 2016
If you awoke to a bluebird day in Falls Creek after 40cm of overnight snow, which area of the mountain would you head to first?

Sadie

Chk Chk Boom
Ski Pass
Aug 31, 2001
Melbourne

This!! It is where we like to be

Slide Sideways

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 2, 2012
If you awoke to a bluebird day in Falls Creek after 40cm of overnight snow, which area of the mountain would you head to first?

I'd hit ***** then I'd follow that to ******* back up ***** ...hike up to *** ***** and straight through the trees onto **** *** hook into the trees and cut over to ***** again. From there I'd probably head over to ******* and hit that for an hour or so, by this stage it should be tracked out....From here I'd head to ****** and cut a few around the chair

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums