Snow Report Falls Creek 2017 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

Sadie

Chk Chk Boom
Ski Pass
Aug 31, 2001
Melbourne
I'd hit ***** then I'd follow that to ******* back up ***** ...hike up to *** ***** and straight through the trees onto **** *** hook into the trees and cut over to ***** again. From there I'd probably head over to ******* and hit that for an hour or so, by this stage it should be tracked out....From here I'd head to ****** and cut a few around the chair
But sometimes we'd do ***** before ******

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
28586048_Unknown.JPG

Junior Out on the Rocky Knolls on Sunday - his first back-country exposure (skinned up through the resort while the lifts were still closed, got first run down Ruined Castle, & skied uphill with the wind behind us from Summit Chair in the low viz. ) A great day out, all things considered.

emkae

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 6, 1998
Melbourne
Falls Creek app has just notified me that Ruined Castle is closed all day due to the large volumes of snow...

Ziggy

A Local
Aug 24, 2003
I recall when Buffalo/Cresta was blessed with a huge fall (last century probably) when you got to the top of the chair the knees had to come up under the chin to clear the ramp.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Slide Sideways

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 2, 2012
Amazing screen shot of falls creek video posted on Facebook today :emoji_astonished::emoji_astonished:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-09-06-16-53-00_1.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-09-06-16-53-00_1.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 5

Hully

One of Us
May 6, 2004
Kiewa Valley
Yesterday was the pick of the snow quality and depth. It was classic storm riding.... tough conditions but superb skiing. Today the snow quality was not as great...still very good.
The overall depth isn't the thing that stands out to me, it's the size of the drifts. The snow was so dry and the winds really high and has resulted in some massive drifts and wind scour.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chaeron

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Maybe they have "released" most of the lifties as September is usually a little less busy.
if that was the case there are other lifts that they would close first (eg lakeside, monkeybar). if it's staffing issues it's more likely to be grooming/snowmaking than lifties imho.

rowdyflat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2003
Yackandandah NE Victoria
from Falls Creek today.
Excellent weather and visibility , uncrowded , snow condition was not deep but excellent ,amazingly consistent .
It was unusual in that the new 5-8 cm of dry snow was cold and slow but sitting on a slightly compacted base of snow from the past few days .
We waited for Ruined Castle to open and the first few runs were like heliskiing in shallow powder, no one was falling and tracks looked great.
Later after lunch despite staying cold the 2 got mixed and went cruddy.

SkiMun

Part of the Furniture
Jan 1, 1970
Melbourne
Great morning. Hit the Ys and the Summit before 9:30. Under the Summit chair was the pick of the morning for me. Snow was nice and creamy. Surprisingly good. In the afternoon right under Cloud 9 was the pick in the sun.

Everywhere else later on was either windblown dryish (great!) or rather solid crud (yawn).

I think hitting the groomers on some SLs would be the way to go tomorrow. :D

Ziggy

A Local
Aug 24, 2003
Today, early and up high the snow was sweet in the BC. Firm and fast enough. Lower and on the groomed trails it turned into elephant snot by noon. Poling needed on the downhill, ugh.

The extent of cover struck me again. Just about complete in Rocky Valley. Creeks running through channels of snow 1-2 metres deep. Cornices on Heathy Spur! Wind-blown up to the eaves on the shed lee sides near the dam.

Apart from the ridges and high spurs it hasn't consolidated though.

Rabid K9

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 15, 2008
Today, early and up high the snow was sweet in the BC. Firm and fast enough. Lower and on the groomed trails it turned into elephant snot by noon. Poling needed on the downhill, ugh.

The extent of cover struck me again. Just about complete in Rocky Valley. Creeks running through channels of snow 1-2 metres deep. Cornices on Heathy Spur! Wind-blown up to the eaves on the shed lee sides near the dam.

Apart from the ridges and high spurs it hasn't consolidated though.

I came up the back side of the Frying Pan from Howmans Gap this morning. Very gluey snow, was about to head over to McKay but found was struggling to move downhill on anything below 20 degrees.

But certainly a healthy coverage above 1500m, was eying some trees that I don't imagine are ridable every season. Saw plenty of creek holes wasn't to keen to slip into.

Ziggy

A Local
Aug 24, 2003
Weird stuff.
I rode Lakeside Poma on the return and wondered whether I had the stamina to make it to the top.

Hully

One of Us
May 6, 2004
Kiewa Valley
Any one go up today? My mate pulled the pin so didnt end up going looks like it cleared up but hows the wind?
I was up for the morning..... it was great! Blue skies, no wind, fresh turns, no crowds. This morning was an unexpected bonus.... we nearly didn't go but changed our mind when the cam images went from fog to blue sky.

Stiffler

One of Us
Jan 15, 2016
Yeah I was similar was laying in bed at 6am listening to howling wind an rain about an hour from resort and re-set the alarm, bit the bullet and headed up and was pleasantly surprised spent most of morning in the maze where the snow was good and untracked then afterwards toured out the back for awhile where the snow was, well, sublime! Glad I went up!

Hamburglar

Hard Yards
Jul 1, 2016
Any one go up today? My mate pulled the pin so didnt end up going looks like it cleared up but hows the wind?
After an awful day yesterday, and hearing the rain fall on my roof quite heavily all night, I wasn't expecting a good day. However it did snow while we had breakfast and we were up on first lifts. Got to the top of the mountain and found a fresh 10+cm. Had a wonderful couple of hours getting fresh tracks all over the place. No it wasn't powder, and it was pretty slow, but it was pure and smooth. Lovely. Ruined Castle was empty and my young son and I had fresh tracks till 10am.

As the day progressed, there were intermittent snow showers, some wind and poor visibility and then 10 mins later there wasn't a cloud in the sky and all was still. Weird. However, the snow became faster and faster and we skied until final lifts, completely exhausted. An unexpected wonderful day.

rowdyflat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2003
Yackandandah NE Victoria
Lovely day for touring today, sun, no wind , v consistent 3 cm soft snow merging into firmish base going corny during day in the sun .
Cover as good as ever, north facing slopes plastered, dropped into Rocky Valley creek , up other side , few runs including Telemark hill and Ropers.

Late learner

First Runs
Sep 19, 2017
It's Tuesday 19 Sept 5pm. Just completed 3 days of great skiing. Snow as good as I've seen at Falls. Everything open. Unfortunately the Summit lift closes at midday. All runs open lots of snow to ski on. Snow is forgiving. No lineups for the lifts!
Favourite was the Slot. Main Street, Ruined Castle all good.
Plenty of snow for a couple of weeks yet. We had no problem getting accommodation.

It's a pity we are going home tomorrow but the next few days will be great. The week after will benefit from a snow sprinkle on Sunday.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass