Snow Report Falls Creek 2017 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

Ziggy

A Local
Aug 24, 2003
It's not gunna arrive till the phone is on and data-connected obviously. But that applied to my tablet and it came at 1.25 o_O

Ziggy

A Local
Aug 24, 2003
What a gorgeous day today. Blue skies, scudding clouds, crispy crunchies in the morning turning into sugar and cream during the day. With 5 forecast I was expecting slop but the cold wind kept the cover in shape. A trip out to Mackay was rewarded with great views.
From right: Mackay flank, Feathertop, Jaitmathangs.
Mackay etc under snow.jpg

The Spurs from the foreground: Frying Pan, Spion Kopje, Timms and the Bogong ridge
The Spurs under snow from Mackay.jpg

Ziggy

A Local
Aug 24, 2003
A mixed bag this morning.
Slippery patches on the road.
Lots of fresh snow but to begin with there was mixed piste conditions including bare ice, corduroy and windblown. With time the cover got spread about more evenly.
I launched down a favorite off-piste route just to sink in and stop.
Atrocious liftus interruptus. Think I had all of one ride that didn't stop. Some stopped three times. Falls Express was stopped for half an hour. Not wind hold.

Stiffler

One of Us
Jan 15, 2016
Heard quite a few cars slid on black ice this morning, slow motion-like into the guard rail on bridge near Bogong village.
Yes quite a few! I had a tiny slip and I was ready for it so it would have easy caught a few people out wakes you up and makes you switch on again a few people mentioned that it appeared drivers were slightly distracted by the flashing fit chains sign there but it doesn't take much for a slip there under the right conditions at the best of times, change of angle change of road surface etc etc

Reactions: Chaeron

Stiffler

One of Us
Jan 15, 2016
Yes in the morning a few on wind hold then summit was running low on energy (must be those bloody renewables) and was limited to 3 per chair, considering the numbers it wasn't tooooo bad, but I did get a bit jack of it and grabbed the skins and spent the rest of the day out the back, where many a nice line was awaiting!

Reactions: Chaeron and Ziggy

rowdyflat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2003
Yackandandah NE Victoria
Yeah weather and snow were great. Really cold so it stayed in good condition.
Off piste certain aspects were excellent but plenty of sastrugi due to strong NW wind then strong S.
I generally avoid weekends but took daughter and grandson w me.
Queues bad at times esp Halleys in the am worst I have ever seen ,most lifts running slowly , frequent stops and Ruined castle area late opening due to bs windhold.
Beautiful lines off Ropers knob well done whoever it was.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
the orange bridge is a treacherous spot for slides. also sassafras corner, turnback (especially on the downhill) and orbit. Always treat these with special respect if there is any chance of ice

but nothing on the falls rd gives me the heebiejeebies like crb hill on the GAR

Ziggy

A Local
Aug 24, 2003
Two days of lots of lift stops. Sounds like the bar's been lowered for the lifties to hit the red button.

Slide Sideways

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 2, 2012
Yesterday was a great day, first lifts till last lifts, for us....happens rarely. We didn't hit the groomed runs till late arvo, morning was spent hitting the windblown and avoiding express chair.
Best runs of the day....mmmm......shadow ridge and st elmos late arvo

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Yesterday was a great day, first lifts till last lifts, for us....happens rarely. We didn't hit the groomed runs till late arvo, morning was spent hitting the windblown and avoiding express chair.
Best runs of the day....mmmm......shadow ridge and st elmos late arvo
Pants on fire:emoji_fire:

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
28061040_Unknown.JPG
28060896_Unknown.JPG
Yes in the morning a few on wind hold then summit was running low on energy (must be those bloody renewables) and was limited to 3 per chair, considering the numbers it wasn't tooooo bad, but I did get a bit jack of it and grabbed the skins and spent the rest of the day out the back, where many a nice line was awaiting!
Did the same - great day out back of mcKay area.

Stiffler

One of Us
Jan 15, 2016
IMG_0718.JPG
IMG_0715.JPG
IMG_0719.JPG

Yep also spent the day just cutting laps on the more mellow windloaded aspects from rocky knobs around to damsite hill as stated there was some really nice lines out there and the snow was still holding out really nice. Glorious day out there in the sun.

Ziggy

A Local
Aug 24, 2003
Sweet.
You mean Rocky Knolls? Running roughly parallel to the Pretty Valley Rd.
They're not named on any map I have; assume they're a resort label.
Rocky Knobs are the high points across the water due south of the resort.

Stiffler

One of Us
Jan 15, 2016
Sweet.
You mean Rocky Knolls? Running roughly parallel to the Pretty Valley Rd.
They're not named on any map I have; assume they're a resort label.
Rocky Knobs are the high points across the water due south of the resort.
Yep I meant Rocky Knobs the ones south of the resort as named on the 1:50k topo, we started there after skinning around the dam then just worked our way around to dam site hill area, legs a toast tonight lol there is some really nice stashes out there.

Stiffler

One of Us
Jan 15, 2016
Pretty'd up for ya. :)

Generally speaking, the little hill at the top of the brown V (to the left of your Rocky Knob) is known as Rocky Knolls. Falls had big ideas to stick lifts over there. :D

falls map expansion.jpg

and this may help... have a look at top left...

Screen Shot 2017-08-20 at 7.11.02 pm.jpg
Pretty'd up for ya. :)

Generally speaking, the little hill at the top of the brown V (to the left of your Rocky Knob) is known as Rocky Knolls. Falls had big ideas to stick lifts over there. :D

falls map expansion.jpg

and this may help... have a look at top left...

Screen Shot 2017-08-20 at 7.11.02 pm.jpg
i can imagine they would!! Rocky knolls is very close an easy for them, we played around there a fair bit yesterday just cutting laps and today just pushed further south to cut laps on the knobs for a bit then tracked west in vicinity of the feature to the east of the hut at pretty valley then over to damsite for a few laps then finished off back at the knolls before calling it quits.

Reactions: Chaeron and Ziggy

Stiffler

One of Us
Jan 15, 2016
We did have one of those funny moments today when you think your all alone, we were taking skins off just below the summit of the 1780 feature just east of the hut when a lone snowboarder just cruised on down passed us, (not splitboard either) I was like, well kudos for effort mate....

BillyKidd

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 11, 2010
Cool. Never seen a map of where the u/g pipes ran.

My father worked on the McKay Creek PS in the 50s. We kids used to go with him some Saturday half days and muck about in the pipeline.

That would have been interesting seeing it being built.

Hully

One of Us
May 6, 2004
Kiewa Valley
Like windhold and slow speeds.....any excuse to slow it down and save costs
Nothing to do with cost.....a really conservative focus on safety with Towie training (combined with a large % of rookies) and a super conservative Lift Ops decision making.
I'm not necessarily happy with what I experience but confident it's not cost related.... other than risk/litigation adverse but that's a societal issue not lift company related.

Reactions: currawong

BillyKidd

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 11, 2010
Nothing to do with cost.....a really conservative focus on safety with Towie training (combined with a large % of rookies) and a super conservative Lift Ops decision making.
I'm not necessarily happy with what I experience but confident it's not cost related.... other than risk/litigation adverse but that's a societal issue not lift company related.

This started before the litigation thing reared its head though I agree it may be a factor.

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
The ski-doo tours are also increasingly busy in that area during blue-bird days- multiple machines - saw a group of 7 all together on Saturday.

Ziggy

A Local
Aug 24, 2003
Yesterday for the first time I saw these odd tracks. Narrow like a skidoo's but leaving super-size corduroy.

Stick

Addicted
Apr 11, 2016
Apart from being windy on Saturday morning, thought the weekend was one of the best in recent years. (granted have only being going to Falls for 6 years) In saying that and leading back to Lift operations, annoying that people ignore the lifties and don't sort themselves out before hitting the front of the line. Just after lunch on Sunday, lifties telling a family of 4 adults and 2 kids of what they need to do, ie walk the kids down etc, getting to front of the line then arguing over who was going with who.. 4 chairs for 6 people.. Come on folks sort yourself out..

leigh the noob

Hard Yards
Jul 26, 2015
Melbourne
Heard quite a few cars slid on black ice this morning, slow motion-like into the guard rail on bridge near Bogong village.
Yes...we did...then the car behind did also.
Going too fast? I drove up and down every day Tues - Sat, and don't think I slipped once. But then I always seemed to be pulling over to the side to let other faster vehicles overtake (except for buses which I did overtake a few when they pulled over); I thought maybe I was going to slow and conservative.

Reactions: neilmny
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass