Snow Report Falls Creek 2018 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by Jacko4650, Feb 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hully

Hully One of Us

I arrived up top at 9, just before they forced all vehicles to fit chains. The road was grippy snow and I experienced zero slip. Wife also got up in Forester at the time they were changing to all vehicles fit without ANY issues. Carnage on the road when I was driving up but vast majority were 2WD with chains fitted (poorly).
    Real issue.... when driving down at 4pm the digital sign at Gully still said fit to all vehicles even though that requirement finished a few hours earlier.
    Road management at Falls remains underwhelming.

currawong likes this.
  2. BilbyBill

BilbyBill One of Us

On the way down, how far do you have to go past the fit chains sign before you can take them off?

3. Xplora

Xplora One of Us

When outside the resort you should pass this sign and then you can take the chains off. This is a Vic Roads authority. If you continue to drive past this sign with chains on then you can also be fined as you may damage the road surface (Road Management Act).

There are corresponding signs facing drivers going the other way which indicate chain fitment and whether AWD/4WD are exempt.

4. Hully

Hully One of Us

The Falls Creek road does not have any of these signs.... only the uphill fit chains signs. There is a carry chains end sign at the orange bridge.

currawong likes this.
  5. Hully

Hully One of Us

IMO you should take them off at the same point as they are being put on. This a point of major confusion as the authorities are reticent to instruct to remove chains because of perceived or real liability issues if somebody has an incident after removing them.

currawong likes this.
  6. Ziggy

Ziggy Renormed
    Ski Pass: Gold

Sometimes a portable sign is put out in the morning saying fit them here, but more often the punters are left to make their own decision, and you see everything from ultra-cautious to risky.
    The matter should be monitored, changed and notified at the spot if necessary during the day, especially during dumps.
    I've driven most of the other snow roads regularly and the practice on this road is IMO the worst.

currawong likes this.
  7. Xplora

Xplora One of Us

That's interesting Hully. I never drive this road in winter so can only comment on what signage should be displayed. It would be a matter for Vic Roads to address and it certainly does not comply with the legislation. The GAR has these signs but that is a through road and that may be the key. I would suggest you cannot be infringed if you take your chains off at the point others are required to fit them. The legislation provides that for a portion of road where access is restricted by a sign there is a requirement to have a sign at either end of that section of road. This defines the portion of road to which the sign is applicable. The sign that indicates a point from where chains must be carried does not specify the type or size of chain so you can carry ladder chains or the wrong size chain. I mentioned this in another thread and it will hopefully be addressed shortly by Vic Roads. Also as a reminder, the fine outside the resort is currently $161 and no demerit points. Inside the resort is $645. This anomaly may also be addressed with new legislation but outside the resort you are only disobeying a sign. Vic Roads has the authority for changing signs outside the resort but I suspect that may be designated, possibly to the RMB.

currawong likes this.
  8. BilbyBill

BilbyBill One of Us

The reason I asked was because in the good old days they used to display a remove chains sign, but not any more. Regular visitors pretty well know where it is safe to remove them but first time visitors are just left in a state of confusion.

9. Xplora

Xplora One of Us

I just read the relevant section of the Vic Road Rules (97) and the fact the road terminates is they key to why there is no sign on the down hill run but it is pretty confusing. You can send an email off to Vic Roads with your observations and it will be passed on to the appropriate person. Something may get done before next season. Mention people are damaging the road surface because they are driving with chains unnecessarily and it could speed things up.

10. Ubiquitous Steve

It’s becoming a circus!
    A few SES personal need to be utilized after heavy snow.....to provide direction and advise to drivers after these heavy dumps.
    Between Vic Rds. Resort Management,Vic Police ,Parks Vic ,Tourism Vic
    It’s a job for some form of better planning....management authorities need to get their crap together!

Every winter same scenario .....traffic chaos with fitting chains !

Scott No Mates likes this.
  11. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty

Came down about 1:30 pm. Chains mandatory for 2wd, advised for awd. Did not put them on the subie. There was a fair bit of slush in a few places but never felt any slip.

If they keep crying wolf about AWDs, no one will take them seriously when it is too icey.

12. Slide Sideways

Slide Sideways Addicted

I can't comment on this past weekend.

I'll fit chains where I think fit on our vehicle. Only takes 5 minutes.

But if required to fit on "all vehicles" I follow the requirements

AWD forester

13. Dan29

Dan29 Hard Yards

Road was fine coming down at 1pm.

Passed someone fairly low down coming up who had stopped directly in the middle of the road to fit chains. There wasn’t even any snow on the road...

14. Hully

Hully One of Us

Really cold clear night, with the amount of water on the road coming down last night I'm guessing it's going to be a bit slippery this morning. Take it easy drive with care.... I'm going to be.

Slide Sideways, Chaeron and currawong like this.
  15. Hully

Hully One of Us

It actually wasn't too bad....

16. Ziggy

Ziggy Renormed

Yes, I was expecting black ice again but thankfully there were no surprises.
    Pistes were good too, with a firm but not frozen base and dry snow that lasted. Off piste was varied, from sastrugi to frozen bubble wrap and some deep soft snow among the trees. Dammit if I didn't have one ski submarine while the other stayed on top. Bompf :skis:
    It was good to do some runs with @chriscross - Headwater, South Face, Little Canada etc.

17. Stiffler

Stiffler One of Us

Had a solid day touring out the back today with the wife, basically started out at Rocky Knobs, then just traversed north west skiing all the northern aspects to get some nice dry 10-15cm reasonably dry powder in the lee aspects popped up for a few laps on Mckay again there was a small window of heavier reasonably good skiing down to rd 24. Blue bird an warm out most of the day. 5hrs, 15km and just scraped 2000m vertical on the legs can’t complain it’s Australia!!

18. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass: Silver

19. weerab

weerab One of Us

Chriscross and I met a really interesting Russian guy at the top of the Ruined castle lift yesterday arvo. HE was asking the young guy at the top of the lift if he could show him where to kiteski. the young guy did'nt know but I told him I had seen kite guys between ruined castle and McKay. trouble is there was no wind contrary to the forecast. anyway, this guy got Chriscross to take a few photos of him with his local flag, he lives in a city a few 1000 km east of Moscow, can't remember where. Chris also took a pic of me and the guy holding the flag then he took one of me and Chris. He was a really interesting guy and apparently doing a bucket list of kite ski places. He has already skied Thredbo, Stirling and Ben Lomond already. He posts on some kite skiing forum and I was hoping to see the pics but can't find them. Has any one else seen this guy at Falls?

#469 weerab, Aug 24, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
    neilmny and currawong like this.
  20. Ubiquitous Steve

Radio says something crashed at Falls Ck...I think a bus can not hear radio because I am to far away....can others confirm if an accident has occurred...place post in correct place if I have missed this elsewhere:thumbs:

21. currawong

I heard that a bus went off but no injuries. Road was completely closed but now open again

Ubiquitous Steve likes this.
  22. currawong

Apparently a falling tree hit the back of the bus and spun it around

Ubiquitous Steve, skiflat and Ziggy like this.
  23. currawong

The road will be closed tomorrow from midday to 2pm, for "accident recovery operation", presumably the bus.
    Closures will be at Mt Beauty golf course and gully car park. You will be allowed through at mt beauty if you are only going to bogong village. Ditto at gully if you are going to howman's

24. weerab

weerab One of Us

Update, this is the Russian Guy's name. Ravil Muslyumov. Check out his facebook page, he is travelling the world kite skiing. He looks fairly old but must be fit as, he has photos of himself doing handstands on a skateboard! He has posted heaps of photos but none of Chriscross or my good self so far!

25. rowdyflat

rowdyflat Addicted

Thursday `overcast needed googles due to flat light.
    V consistent cover of snow due to no wind , unusual for Australia ,great coverage into actual Rocky Valley creek, skied telemark hill, Ropers Lookout.

Ziggy likes this.
  26. weerab

weerab One of Us

I wa wearing sunglasses on Thursday and found the light really weird. We skied out to McKay but you just could not see the snow surface. A couple of times I hit a bump and nearly fell backwards, I actually felt a bit motion sick. What was weird was that the vis was not too bad!

Chaeron likes this.
  27. Sadie

Sadie Chk Chk Boom

All the people on the bus were in The Board Lounge replacing clothes that were stuck on the bus.

Today was a nice sunny day. Snow was a bit gluey in places.

#477 Sadie, Aug 25, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    Joe, Chaeron, Ziggy and 1 other person like this.
  28. Sadie

Sadie Chk Chk Boom

Just got home and drove past the bus on the way down. Looked a lot worse than what the media photos showed.
    I’d say that the passengers would be very traumatised

29. Ubiquitous Steve

Sliding tree or falling tree?Big bus or private little mini bus?Bus was heading which way?

You would not want to roll a bus around Bogong Village as it is very steep below.....

30. Sadie

Sadie Chk Chk Boom

Big bus

snowgum, Ziggy, Joe and 1 other person like this.
  31. Chaeron

Chaeron One of Us

32. Chaeron

Chaeron One of Us

Awesome day yesterday at FC - groomers firm but not icy, bluebird day. Carparks full from early. Good conditions for the Hoppett.

Got busy round about 10:30, so headed off out of bounds from Summit down to road 24 and then back to the south side back to Ruined Castle - some beautiful pockets of soft, firm snow. With so much snow one could get down further to the creek and cross water-courses more easily.

Got out the long, heavy K2 Apaches for the afternoon and had great fun carving up the piste which by now was relatively chopped up, but still very skiable.

Summit still lovely, and the area around International lots of fun - Zipper and Jigsaw very skiable. Due to the higher snowfall places like Rapunzels and Corkscrew are groomed and the surface friendly - less mogulish boilerplate or chopped up, refrozen crud than normal for this time of year - forgiving skiing - meaning one goes through there at higher speeds than normal.

The impact of the new snowmaking guns has also meant top-ups in areas like Ruined Castle has been more effective.

Falls extending its season to 7th October...great chat on the Scotty’s chair with legendary ski patroller Rob who’s been around for 40+ years - it’s been a good season he says. Lots of happy punters, and the coffee is good.

#482 Chaeron, Aug 26, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    skiflat, Ziggy, Joe and 4 others like this.
  33. Slide Sideways

Slide Sideways Addicted

Yesterday was awsome.....all my muscles today have stopped working

Ziggy, skiflat, Joe and 2 others like this.
  34. currawong

Rob's great. He carted me off to the medical centre years ago and never lets me forget it

skiflat and Chaeron like this.
  35. Sadie

Sadie Chk Chk Boom

Is he a dark dude?

I think he may have got me out of the trees when I did my knee. I thought he was too young to have been there that long though

36. Slide Sideways

Slide Sideways Addicted

No...That was John...he was an American guy......
    And you didn't even green whistle :eek::eek:o_O:rolleyes:

We have been on the chair with Rob, the silver fox. Mt Beauty local if I'm correct.

Chaeron likes this.
  37. currawong

Yep. Lives in Mt Beauty now. Used to spend his summers on the vic surf coast but up here full time now.

Chaeron and Slide Sideways like this.
  38. chriscross

chriscross One of Us

Just back from a super week at FC. Skied 8 days straight but had to leave early yesterday as they were closing the road at midday (on a Sunday???) to salvage the bus by the road. Great conditions in and out of the resort. Thanks to Ziggy for his advice and guidance on a great day near the edge of the resort. Also to weerab for his company and experience as a touring partner. We had to dig away 2 metres of snow to open the door to Edmonson's hut. The next party to arrive were pleased we had done so and grateful the fire had been lit (no pun). Hope the leader's knee came up ok. Some nice bc skiing off Heathy spur on the way back. Another day rab and I were heading out from the top of RC for a little tour and ski around McKay when we met an older Russian guy who was looking for a place to kite-ski, on his own. He was disappointed the wind was too light. Hoppet day saw conditions as good as I can remember with a great community vibe in the bowl. Your correspondent was pleased to finish the short course 3 mins quicker than last year (fitness still improving after knee op a couple of years ago) and make up a place but no silver medal for an old guy in a kid's race. Looking forward to getting back there next w/e.

39. skiflat

skiflat Part of the Furniture

Sunday midday...

Great time to close the road.....

40. Slide Sideways

Slide Sideways Addicted

What time would be appropriate ?

You saw where the bus was? And it's position?

currawong likes this.
  41. currawong

Sunday not great, but the timeslot chosen was probably reasonable, assuming it had to be done in daylight. Get all the day trippers up there. Get the morning departers out. Move the bus before the afternoon peak of new arrivals and daytrippers and others departing. Maybe they could have gobe an hour eartlier, but not much leeway really.

42. skiflat

skiflat Part of the Furniture

You mean off the road and not in the way..

Ummm

Monday

Hully likes this.
  43. Slide Sideways

Slide Sideways Addicted

Personally I think it was the right decision, yes it was out the way and off the road .

If it had slipped any further according to weather reports rain was expected Sunday. Add to the folk coming down the mountain stopping to rubber neck would have made the evening journey much longer than normal

Recovery Monday. ...if weather forecast was correct, recovery could have been a lot worse if the bus had moved position down the embankment.

I think right call Sunday midday closure.

What time did the road re open ? Sunday 2pm as expected?

Sadie and Pademelon like this.
  44. weerab

weerab One of Us

Congratulations on your Hoppet results. I have been in touch with Ravil (kite skier) and asked him to post the photos you took last week. He only posted this but it is a cracker!

currawong and Chaeron like this.
  45. weerab

weerab One of Us

I skied out to Langford's Gap Hut last Friday and took a few photos.

Watchbed Creek

The Hut

Bonus pics of Simmonds Creek, Tawonga South

Edgecrusher, Joe, jez01 and 5 others like this.
  46. weerab

weerab One of Us

He sent this one later!

#496 weerab, Aug 27, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  47. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Q: was this just another case of shear bad luck or Do I detect an usually large no. of bus incidents this year? At various mountains?

48. currawong

According to Border Mail, police said the driver did nothing wrong, did well to minimise the harm.

Chaeron likes this.
  49. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Good to hear. I guess I was coming from all the bus issues in recent heavy snowfalls. Mostly At Buller I believe. Maybe I’m being too harsh?

Chaeron likes this.
  50. willsnow

willsnow Hard Yards

What's the best contact point to get a good 3 night accommodation package with lift and lesson for September?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.