1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Report Falls Creek 2018 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by Jacko4650, Feb 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Or perhaps some x and y generation provocative art?

2. emkae

emkae One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Anyone done the snowmobiling tour? Feedback? Looking at doing a twilight tour next week

3. weerab

weerab One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Just came back today from a couple of brilliant days at Falls. I drove up Wednesday and due to to usual shitty Melbourne traffic it took me about six hours to get there. I drove straight up to Windy and skied out to Ropers lookout, or at least the end of the aqueduct. Thursday was a lovely sunny day with pretty icy snow for a while. I skied out to Fitzgeralds hut where i had lunch with a couple of guys who rocked up just after me, a couple of nice guys, one of them who had just started the Hoppet at the age of 70! The hut still looks fantastic and the guy who built the bunks and stools by hand should be proud as they still look like new after 25 years!

Today I had to drive back to Melbourne so just went out for a couple of hours and skied up the McKay road and down Aitkens then along pipeline and then the panorama loop (?). So I figured I have skied 35km over the last couple of days but waistline is unchanged? Still plenty of snow up there but obviously massive losses in certain areas. I skied to Fitzys with only one little spot where snow was sparse but you can still see massive snow banks everywhere.

I bumped into Moondog at Windy corner this morning and had a nice little chat with him. He was heading out to PV for a couple of days.

4. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

I have been off the planks for 11 days, in readiness for my Himalayan trek and now I am getting Ski related FOMO. I hope next ski season in 2019 will offer such good spring ski touring.

Ubiquitous Steve likes this.
  5. Scott No Mates Ver 1.1

Scott No Mates Ver 1.1 Addicted

@Ubiquitous Steve - isn't there one of those just behind the dam wall? Sheep would have to learn how to swim though.

currawong likes this.
  6. Ubiquitous Steve

7. emkae

Email tonight:

Falls Creek Resort Management wish to advise all residents and stakeholders that snow clearing operations will begin in the village area from 10AM, Wednesday 26th September 2018.

These operations will involve heavy plant and machinery in the main village area during daylight hours only. Clearing procedures will include spotters to control interaction with the general public and mitigate risk wherever possible. Roads will not be re-opened to stakeholders and guests until such time as all roads are cleared and it is declared safe for wheeled vehicles to operate. ATS will continue to operate until such a declaration is made.

ALL VILLAGE ROAD USERS MUST TAKE EXTREME CARE DURING THIS PERIOD.

In order to facilitate this process please ensure oversnow vehicles and trailers are moved sufficiently off the road to allow the machinery to safely operate.

We are currently targeting re-opening of village roads by Saturday 29th September - further updates will be provided as work progresses.

Please note, clearing of Snow Gums Lane and Slalom St/BHP Rd interface will not be executed until the completion of all other road clearing activities in the village.

FCRM apologises for any inconvenience this may cause - it is particularly important that emergency services access is not compromised. Your co-operation is greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards
    Falls Creek Resort Management

currawong likes this.
  8. rowdyflat

rowdyflat One of Us

Myself + wifey did a seesaw/ yoyo tour of Rocky knobs starting with a ski off the Big Dipper area.
    Great snow cover and weather, absolute idiot proof snow .
    Adventure crossing the creek into Rocky valley at the pontoon bridge.
    But the highlight though was meeting Moondog on the skin up thru the resort.
    He was hefting a 55kg double sled moving home from Rocky Valley back to Geelong .
    well done good for you Moondog, I would like to hear your survival techniques including stove, I gather gas , tent ratings and food choices.

Moondog55, currawong and Chaeron like this.
  9. weerab

I spoke to Moondog at Windy Corner last Friday, surprised he is still up there. He is a legend! I have skied Rocky Knobs but not familiar with big Dipper or the pontoon bridge?

Chaeron likes this.
  10. rowdyflat

rowdyflat One of Us

Big dipper was the T bar before the Ruined castle Chair replaced it and the poma.
    There are a number of unnamed slopes at the west end of Rocky valley storage .
    left signatures everywhere.
    the pontoon / bridge is opposite and below the Towers chair and looks like something out of Mad Max.

11. weerab

Yeah Big Dipper does ring a bell from way back!

12. Ubiquitous Steve

Has Moondog been wintering over in Pretty Valley?

13. rowdyflat

rowdyflat One of Us

Yep amazing 45-50 nights he estimated.
    broke a few tent poles, read lots of books .
    Speaking personally, i would find the sitting thru bad weather the hardest, followed by the lack of ablutions.

14. Ubiquitous Steve

That’s a really good effort....he would have seen some good storms out there.

15. Bluebird

Bluebird One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

The last few days have been pretty nice up here. Icy to start, groomers have been super fast. The snow has softened by mid-morning but not gotten too slushy.

Ubiquitous Steve and Chaeron like this.
  16. Chaeron

Chaeron One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Had a lovely morning’s skiing on Monday - Father Fosters, Ruined Castle and Scotty’s were awesome. Once they opened up Boomerang late morning had great fun down there too.

Warmed up on Main Street and Highway 83 - well groomed and icy they ski incredibly fast.

17. Scott No Mates Ver 1.1

We're heading down to close out the season, who's still around next week?

Chaeron likes this.
  18. Chaeron

Also looking forward to buzzing down onpiste next week for a last hurrah... not sure which days yet.

19. Chaeron

Anyone know what International / The Maze are looking like - still skiable till midmorning?

20. Chaeron

Will make sure to catch up with you next week!

21. Sadie

Sadie Chk Chk Boom Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

They were fine on Sunday. Lower down patchy and bushy in the maze but international and up top were great.
    @Slide Sideways surprised me with the Steve Lee tour on Sunday. Was great!

Ziggy, currawong and Chaeron like this.
  22. Slalom

Slalom A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Looks like a final weekend hoorah is in order.

Chaeron likes this.
  23. Scott No Mates Ver 1.1

Finally got to FC on Sunday with the first few runs today. No overnight freeze so started off soft and kept softening. A few runs down Highway & Main Street - nicely groomed and reasonably fast.

Pick of the morning was Scottys/Racetrack though I did enjoy Boomerang for a run out wide - coverage is still quite good for this time of year ie you can get out there without going across a mile of heath.

Unfortunately, the Maze has closed. Nearly came unstuck on the Zipper (all moguls but soft).

The Slot was cruisey. Father Fosters was a bit of fun for the morning. Tidied off the morning over Lakeside & a scoot back to the Village via Last Hoot which is looking bare.

Chaeron and Ziggy like this.
  24. VSG

VSG Crayon Master Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

25. Scott No Mates Ver 1.1

My knee gave out yesterday afternoon so only did a run down Numb Nuts Scramble. Felt a lot better this morning :rolleyes: - relieved.

No freeze overnight and not much grooming by the looks of it either. I stuck with several warm ups on Highway then across to Lakeside which was extremely moguled on the mid-section next to the poma line. Encouraged by my kids to scoot across to Powderkeg down to the lift. A few more laps on Lakeside then forged our way across to Scotts.

Snow condition on Scotts was quite good and holding up well. A few good turns at speed with several other skiers & boarders straightlining the run down the raceline to the chair.

A relaxed traverse to Ruined Castle with a few runs down South Face (ungroomed) then out further to Boomerang. It was a little slower as I was unable to climb as far on the Knolls as yesterday.

Daughter decided that I was taking too long out at Boomerang so she went to Big Dipper, missed it and ended up going over the cornice on St Elmos - which by her report was that it was quite firm and no elephant snot (I'll still shy away from it).

Had a run down Big Dipper (groomed but softening) which was quite fast and surprisingly not sticky as it usually does at this time of year (nothing like double ejecting when you hit superglue).

Back to Boomerang and headed to Days End and the accommodation for lunch.

Biggest disappointment was my tracker failed to record the day :mad:

Again, another gorgeous spring day and t-shirt weather.

Afternoon report - (from son) he just did laps on Summit so there weren't any complaints (crashed out at 9.30pm).

currawong, Bluebird and emkae like this.
  26. emkae

We were at Falls last week and were pleasantly surprised by the snow conditions. We were expecting skiing mainly in the mornings only with wet, sticky snow after lunch, but we were able to ski all day every day

currawong and Bluebird like this.
  27. Bluebird

Bluebird One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I was at Falls last week also and this echoes my experience!

currawong likes this.
  28. Scott No Mates Ver 1.1

Another warm night and equally warm day - no overnight freeze with the snow holding up well. Weather closed in around lunch time (as we were heading back to our digs), you could see it (or more specifically, not see it) coming up the valley.

We started the day with some leg warmers on Towers (Highway & Main Street) then a tight run down the lift line on Rappers. A scoot across to Lakeside which was not crowded and running smoothly.

Before we ventured down Days End to to the Village Bowl we had a chat with some of the 'Yellow Jackets' and took Summit chair for a few runs down Exhibition & the Slot which were soft but had ample cover. Eagles, a lovely new chair but I still can't get over how late it releases the bar at the top of the hill.

Further runs took us back around to Scotts and Ruined Castle with the obligatory trip around Boomerang - the snow appears to be receding on a daily basis with new signage appearing "area closed" both at the top of the Y's from Eagles as well as the top of Ruined Castle heading to the out of bounds/top entry to Boomerang.

Snow was still quite fast and holding up well, we'll see how it is later in the week.

skiflat likes this.
  29. weerab

I have just put my ski gear away but think I might have jumped the gun as Falls is still reporting over 1 metre of snow! However, that figure doesn't show the whole picture as there are probably large areas where there is no snow. Not interested in downhill but wondering if there is much life left in XC and backcountry adventures?

30. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

OK Not a trip report
    I wasn't at my best this season. New hip and all.

Chaeron likes this.
  31. Scott No Mates Ver 1.1

@weerab - the photos that I have taken are on north facing slopes - the south side of FC will last a long time especially outside of the resort areas. I will try to take a few shots in the next couple of days.

32. rowdyflat

rowdyflat One of Us

weerab the snow will last a few weeks on the south and east faces despite yesterdays rain.
    will be skiing Mt McKay soon, after a frost.

33. fx 140 ski freek

fx 140 ski freek Hard Yards

was around the back on Tuesday
    plenty of snow for a play
    even the Nordic bowl was fantastic

34. D-eye

D-eye Photographer and skier Moderator

Chaeron likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.