Snow Report Falls Creek 2018 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hully

One of Us
May 6, 2004
Kiewa Valley
I wont be around but given the snowy and windy conditions there's a fair bet Scotts and Ruined Castle chairs will be closed. Depending on the situation relative to fresh snow you want arrive early and park at Gully carpark. Get the gully chair to the summit bowl then you have the choice of Summit or Eagle chairs if they're running to access the Y's as your first choice. Don't waste your time with the glory town lines under the lift... Y's or Cabbage patch are where it's at in fresh snow then make your way over to international ones it's tracked out... If Scotts is running then Corkscrew gully is great fun along with some of the lines down sun valley, however this can (likely) get badly wind scoured at the top which ain't much fun in a whiteout... Only thing worse than skiing a coral reef is skiing a coral reef when you can't see!
If you're referring to @DidSurfNowSki post, firstly he said he is catching early bus so parking is irrelevant. He will be dropped at ATS and will be beating the crowds. As it looks like being a storm day the last thing I'd do based on similar days this season is catch Gully to the bowl. Eagle has been really unreliable starting and turning in bad weather and means you're a but stuck in the bowl if Summit not turning or bad vis. Load Halleys, always first priority to get turning and you've got the whole mountain as your options depending on weather and lifts.

BillyKidd

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 11, 2010
I heard a plausible explanation (reasonable source but not necessarily correct) about new eagle having so many problems. New fangled lifts have more sensors, and they all have to report goodness for the lift to run. The sensors mustn't like our wet, close to zero conditions and tend to ice up. Lift can't run till they are functioning again.
Hopefully fcsl and poma will come up with a solution by next season. (Next week would be better)

This still doesn't explain why other lifts open late so often

Because they don't give a rats.

Reactions: Chaeron

Ziggy

A Local
Aug 24, 2003
Decoding this morning's resort email ...

After a breezy day yesterday, the wind will be easing today.
80 kmh gusts and general windhold = breezy!

Temperatures will be cold today and with wind chill it will feel like -5, so be sure to rug up.
There'll be wind chill of -10 to -13 according to BOM.

We are expecting more snow this afternoon with around 20cm expected to fall - bring it on!
= we hope 20cm will fall. The reading will be at the gauges, not on the pistes.

There will be 14/14 lifts open and 30 groomed runs to have some fun on.
There may be 14 lifts open, discounting ice, failures and high wind gusts.

The groomers will be firm and fast this morning so head there early for some brilliant turns.
The groomers will be icy. Wait for the boarders to scrape some dust off the top of the corduroy.

The grooming team's pick of the day is Highway 83, so be sure to check it out.
There's some windblown snow on 83; good for the first half hour.

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Decoding this morning's resort email ...

After a breezy day yesterday, the wind will be easing today.
80 kmh gusts and general windhold = breezy!

Temperatures will be cold today and with wind chill it will feel like -5, so be sure to rug up.
There'll be wind chill of -10 to -13 according to BOM.

We are expecting more snow this afternoon with around 20cm expected to fall - bring it on!
= we hope 20cm will fall. The reading will be at the gauges, not on the pistes.

There will be 14/14 lifts open and 30 groomed runs to have some fun on.
There may be 14 lifts open, discounting ice, failures and high wind gusts.

The groomers will be firm and fast this morning so head there early for some brilliant turns.
The groomers will be icy. Wait for the boarders to scrape some dust off the top of the corduroy.

The grooming team's pick of the day is Highway 83, so be sure to check it out.
There's some windblown snow on 83; good for the first half hour.
oh for days of Anthony O'Shea. a little bit of spin but actual information in the daily email, and usually a good laugh too

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Hully

One of Us
May 6, 2004
Kiewa Valley
Today..... very icy and firm under ski first up, snow started early - dust on crust. The fresh accumulated quickly and it was great skiing in harsh conditions. Ski the storm for good times.

Idiots still prevailing on the road from all accounts. Some amazing examples of stupid driving relayed to me from two copper friends who were driving up mid morning.

Reactions: currawong

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
Falls Creek - Trip Report

The day started off early in Bright, driving past a huge doe. The road between Bright and Mt Beauty was lots of fun. I made it safely to Mt Beauty and caught the bus.

937D9DF5-EBBD-451A-86B6-73C88058BE06.jpeg

Can’t recommend the bus highly enough, door to door service.

Even though I had prebooked my lift pass, I still needed to queue up in line for my RFID ticket. Once that was out of the way it was time to follow my nose as there wasn’t a single trail map to be found.

The first hour was horrid, refrozen crud. Luckily the storm front hit and there was no prefrontal.

1ACFE67D-2BD4-49E9-96F1-F50B77776EA0.jpeg

The snow just got better and better throughout the day with about 15cm of fresh falling throughout the day

9B7917FC-FD84-4507-8E55-DA4AE30D2B22.jpeg

The best runs of the day were down corkscrew. The snow was being blown in sideways into a gully that had some visibility.

Lunch was had at the Frying Pan, a nice little hut.

6F6CA534-2515-4DB5-94DF-34D6D4A0A135.jpeg

I ended the day lapping summit and international. Not a huge day VM wise but it never is when skiing fresh snow in a storm in Oz.

I was very happy to catch the bus back down to the car at the end of the day.

Tomorrow onto Hotham.

I’ll edit this post with my ski track once I’ve polished off this parmie.

Tada...

upload_2018-8-11_20-44-2.png

upload_2018-8-11_20-43-11.png

Ziggy

A Local
Aug 24, 2003
Yep. What a stunning morning it was - blue sky, high swirling clouds and fresh dry snow. South side runs had been groomed since the precip stopped last night but there was plenty of off-piste action, the soft snow being boot deep in some places.
I was gobsmacked to see a couple of Magpies harassing an Owl in the air near Windy Cnr.
And the Slug of the Week award goes to the AWD that did 20 kmh from Howman's to the Village - no chains (that I could see), no skill and no courtesy. Two out of three might cut it, not three out of three.

Slide Sideways

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 2, 2012
What a weekend

Saturday was a first lift to last lift kinda day....minus an hour or so as the bullet proof surface was covered with light powdery snow.

This morning was fun in the sun. Some deep windblown to be found....and we found.

Off the hill around 12.00 as the temp dropped as did the cloud.

Nursing a bruised thigh with a disagreement a tree.....the tree beat me up pretty good , but didn't break me:D:D

mick chopps

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jun 22, 2006
The barber's chair
Toured McKay yesterday. Probably the best touring day I’ve had in a Aus, certainly in the top few. Bit firm up top due to the SW’ly but oh my the sheltered aspects and down low was just sublime... and plenty deep. Couple of resort laps before heading out then 5 laps followed by the long painful slog down Road 24. Snow stayed dry and chalky right up until about ~2pm when the weather really closed in and we bugged out.
B86FC81B-E51E-4EDA-88E5-8CD4D964FD84.jpeg
B4B14C5F-FA08-4351-8336-CDA6EE8942AD.jpeg

Ziggy

A Local
Aug 24, 2003
They've extended the groomed trail there. There was previously just a link between the bottom of Monkey Bar and Rapunzels.
Dunno whether the extended run is what's sposed to be Quartz ridge but I've never seen a groomer run that far before.

mick chopps

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jun 22, 2006
The barber's chair
They've extended the groomed trail there. There was previously just a link between the bottom of Monkey Bar and Rapunzels.
Dunno whether the extended run is what's sposed to be Quartz ridge but I've never seen a groomer run that far before.
maybe instructive of how much snow is in there?

Last edited:

Slide Sideways

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 2, 2012
where abouts is it roped? does seem a bit strange, especially given quartz ridge runs right between Rapunzels and Lakeside.

Can't come off towers chair and take the highest line under quartz.
Have to go 150m or so down rapunzels then hard hard right over to lakeside.
Could be a caution as so much snow fallen?
I've never seen it there before

mick chopps

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jun 22, 2006
The barber's chair
Can't come off towers chair and take the highest line under quartz.
Have to go 150m or so down rapunzels then hard hard right over to lakeside.
Could be a caution as so much snow fallen?
I've never seen it there before
Yeah neither have I. Used to love the hard left off the chair and dropping down off the rocks and bumps around Quartz Ridge.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Slalom

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 17, 2013
Melbourne
Visibility went between fair & poor today with unfortunately more of the latter.
Didn’t get on mountain until 12. The Y’s were chopped and snow around Apres was heavy. Summit reasonable, along with Sun Valley.
The snow fence at the top of Scott’s was almost completely buried. 2 weeks ago you could still see half of it.
Saw a first today.........guy skiing down a run having a full on conversation on his phone. Just ski ya pelican.
Oh, and had a chairlift ride with Chris & Bec Judd.
8EEE1130-6E74-4368-A016-9EE80F7D53BE.jpeg

Ziggy

A Local
Aug 24, 2003
This morning on the south side it was bullet proof first up and gradually softened to a very tolerable cream.
Vis was the curate's egg. The ridge peeped into sunlight from time to time and occasionally the slopes were in luminous fog. Very atmospheric. I skied from Summit to Ruined and had to set a compass bearing.
Pulled the pin at lunchtime after a shot out of bounds; the snow was soft, pillowed and sticky. Yuk.

Reactions: Slalom

Slalom

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 17, 2013
Melbourne
This morning on the south side it was bullet proof first up and gradually softened to a very tolerable cream.
Vis was the curate's egg. The ridge peeped into sunlight from time to time and occasionally the slopes were in luminous fog. Very atmospheric. I skied from Summit to Ruined and had to set a compass bearing.
Pulled the pin at lunchtime after a shot out of bounds; the snow was soft, pillowed and sticky. Yuk.
Yeah I was hoping for a bit more cloud free today but it wasn't to be. Had to do Ruined by Braille at one stage.
Few laps of Zipper, Skyline and Après early on. Even got a couple down a groomed Y's.
Rest of the day between Scotts and Towers.

Reactions: Ziggy and Chaeron

2ESki

One of Us
Apr 16, 2017
I'm seeing guys texting as they start a run.
Saw a new i phone in the snow under the lift 1/2 up Wombats at Buller " Laugh I nearly shat " Last thing I want to do is listen to my phone when I go skiing leave alone talk on it :rolleyes:

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Ziggy's secret sidecountry stash, eh? I'll wear a blindfold, I'll cross my heart and promise on Jane's snow report that I won't tell a soul. Next week could be looking good.

Reactions: Ziggy

Ziggy

A Local
Aug 24, 2003
Take a look from the ***** or the top of ****** - there's a heap of green and blue slopes outbounds that are a modest shuffle from the resort. They're usually untouched. And also variable; sweet one day and sour the next.

TinkyH23

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2008
Macedon Ranges, Victoria
I've just watched the 50 sec grab from Falls Creek Resort on Facebook at the bottom of Halleys. Are folk who stay in and around Snowgum Lane still able to get through to the lift around the back there? Looks like a big stockpile of snow on the access path.

PS, Just got a CHAINS MUST BE FITTED TO ALL VEHICLES notification from the FC app.

weerab

One of Us
Jul 13, 2009
Beautiful Altona Victoria
I'll take their advice and fit chains to my AWD when forced to
Same here as I have fitted Potenzas on my Forester mainly for a bit of quiet but they are not actually that quiet anyway! Tread does not look too good for ice and snow but they have not been too bad on a little bit of slush that I have encountered this season but I am not sure about a decent amount of snow or ice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass