Snow Report Falls Creek 2021 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

Moondog55

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 2014
Isn't WR upper the part above the PV road and obviously if so the then blow that is WR lower.
Some of us come down WR and then cut off to the CC track

skimax

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2000
Melbourne Australia
Logic says for the top half of a run to be open you must have a return path to a lift ( either mid station or alternate trail), so has to be to panorama/drovers dream lift out.. But hey who says logic has anything to do with it.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Logic says for the top half of a run to be open you must have a return path to a lift ( either mid station or alternate trail), so has to be to panorama/drovers dream lift out.. But hey who says logic has anything to do with it.
I can recall (mid 1980s) having a long walk from part way down little buller spur to federation before the extra lift was put in. No warnings that there was not skiable cover.

IIRC wombats has been open when not skiable at the bottom, but with warnings

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Just spin ,trying to make it sound like there is some skiing by cutting a beginners run in 2.
No thanks maybe next week .

Agreed RF. Have to say that in a ideal world it would be great if Falls provided more snowmaking on their north side / return trails. I get that large amounts of loot were spent on Wombats (automated too) and I recall owners of lodges next to same objected to the potential noise. (Strut hits a ski resort!)

But imagine (no pun - that’s on Hotham!) if say Fast Hoot or Last Hoot had SM? Or the summit slope T-B?

Increasingly, I think runs/areas in Vic without SM are looking at very low levels of use in everything but the big years and ‘hump of the peak’ periods.

Sorry to lower the vibe. We’ll soon probably get a year to rival 64, 81 or 2000’ to prove me wrong!
(yes I know! Is not July, yet! :rolleyes:)

Hully

One of Us
May 6, 2004
Kiewa Valley
So how’s the skiing and the crowds today ? (I know it’s low tide)
The skiing on Towers is great. Crowds not too bad, probably mornings are typical Towers lines even when more terrain open. Before 10am, 12-1:30 nearly ski straight on. Piste not overly crowded, in reality it is regulated by lift capacity which is the same regardless of terrain open.

Reactions: soza and jungfrau

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
Agreed RF. Have to say that in a ideal world it would be great if Falls provided more snowmaking on their north side / return trails. I get that large amounts of loot were spent on Wombats (automated too) and I recall owners of lodges next to same objected to the potential noise. (Strut hits a ski resort!)

But imagine (no pun - that’s on Hotham!) if say Fast Hoot or Last Hoot had SM? Or the summit slope T-B?

Increasingly, I think runs/areas in Vic without SM are looking at very low levels of use in everything but the big years and ‘hump of the peak’ periods.

Sorry to lower the vibe. We’ll soon probably get a year to rival 64, 81 or 2000’ to prove me wrong!
(yes I know! Is not July, yet! :rolleyes:)
Having skied Perisher this week and last after thin days at Falls last week it’s noticeable the difference extended snowmaking capacity makes. Vail is in a position to compare the revenue across Perisher and Falls/ Hotham in shoulder season…..

Granted it’s not a fair comparison given altitude differences and consequently more natural snowfall and better snowmaking temperatures early season.

Extending snowmaking is the only way the Vic resorts can remain financially viable. Initial large outlays, but the ability to attract a larger clientele across the shoulder season would more than make it worthwhile.

It’s already the gameplan, and the snowmaking footprint has significantly extended, but this calls for more of the same.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Having skied Perisher this week and last after thin days at Falls last week it’s noticeable the difference extended snowmaking capacity makes. Vail is in a position to compare the revenue across Perisher and Falls/ Hotham in shoulder season…..

Granted it’s not a fair comparison given altitude differences and consequently more natural snowfall and better snowmaking temperatures early season.

Extending snowmaking is the only way the Vic resorts can remain financially viable. Initial large outlays, but the ability to attract a larger clientele across the shoulder season would more than make it worthwhile.

It’s already the gameplan, and the snowmaking footprint has significantly extended, but this calls for more of the same.

I think then we’re thinking broadly along the same line.

I’m don’t think Victorian resorts are as advanced as NSW with snowmaking - granted it’s been about 13 years since I last skied north of the border. Have done a few NZ trips since then (07).

It should also be noted that NSW big 2 plus Charlotte will always have much better SM weather than Victoria: colder and less humidity. So SM will be more effective and provide better returns on investment.

Additionally, Buller aside, from memory, Thredbo and Perisher are bigger resorts with more skier days and have greater ability to draw crowds when compared to Hotham and Falls. So again SM will provide bigger returns.

So my synopsis (with rhetoricals): while Hotham started late and did SM poorly for a long time, it has improved coverage significantly (HV) in recent years. At a guess, there’s still lots of scope for automation.

By comparison with Hotham, Falls was ahead of the game in the early SM days and was up there with Thredbo, possibly better coverage. Than Thredders. But in recent years I think Falls SM has flat-lined somewhat. Wombats automation was about the last major upgrade - that’s about 10 years ago now.

I understand there were new automatic guns and increased system automation at Falls over this summer. But from memory this process has been trickling along.

Where are the really big SM upgrades post wombats? Where is the data that proves that the SM on the summit slopes can or can’t be renewed / upgraded? What does the resort expect upper-immediate success/ advanced skiers/boarders to do on their one-week holiday when SM mostly covers greens and easy blues? If the summit/ maze area is out, it’s Endless laps of Scott’s and Ruined.

It’s not good enough to say there’s Hotham - many families need the easy, friendly terrain at Falls to help develop their young ones. So give the better skiers somewhere to go when cover is sub-optimal.

Where is the plan for upgrades from the Vail, not just the resort - once Covid eases?

Falls is a wonderful family, multi-purpose snow resort and for access to touring is hard to beat. It could be much better and stronger with some SM and summer-grooming upgrades - without touching one lift!

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Langford Gap Hut. June 2020. Artwork by Me.
winter at  lamgford gap  hut. artwork.  cropped.  1.3.jpg

Sweefu

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
May 22, 2019
Hi All,

I'm heading to Falls this weekend until next Wednesday, is anyone able to comment on the chances of more terrain opening up with the cold weather and ~5cm of natural snow in the forecast?

Any chance at all? :D

There are some solid negative temps forecast for the weekend, will the machine snow make a significant difference overall or more so just top up the high traffic areas?

Cheers!

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
Hi All,

I'm heading to Falls this weekend until next Wednesday, is anyone able to comment on the chances of more terrain opening up with the cold weather and ~5cm of natural snow in the forecast?

There are some solid negative temps forecast for the weekend, will the machine snow make a significant difference overall or more so just top up the high traffic areas?

Cheers!
@currawong

Reactions: Sweefu

Hully

One of Us
May 6, 2004
Kiewa Valley
Hi All,

Cheers!
At this point in time I'd suggest that snowmaking will be focussed on replacing what is disappearing at the moment.
If this system delivers at the higher end of predictions and there is sustained solid snow making opportunities (ie around the clock) there might be a small chance of Sun Valley opening mid to late next week.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
I note Falls official site isn’t providing links to Scott’s or Ruined Cams, which surprises me - could be related to the poor cover.

I also wonder (3 weeks from my trip) as to whether there’s been much of push to make snow on the above areas when it’s been cold or, whether being so marginal, SM concentrated on Towers, Drovers and Wombats, Cloud 9 - their bread and butter?

I guess selfishly, I’m hoping 5-6 days of cold will see a much greater area of SM happening? Perhaps expecting a lot for a slow, challenging start to season? Cheers experts! :thumbs:

Reactions: Sweefu

emkae

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 6, 1998
Melbourne
Scotts and Ruined Cams are available on the app.

Looks like they have lost a bit of cover in the last few days e.g. bottom of Wombats has a few patches. Hopefully the weekend weather helps.

Reactions: snowgum

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic

Looks like they have lost a bit of cover in the last few days e.g. bottom of Wombats has a few patches. Hopefully the weekend weather helps.
Thanks, I usually just look here but since Hotham has more cams than here on ski.com, 8 thought it was a look?

Cover?: it would have to be retreating fairly quickly by mid-winter standards in full sun?

It’s a shame so much of Falls (Vic) runs are north-facing. Not such a problem when conditions are great, but when patchy it’s another twist of the knife.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Thanks, I usually just look here but since Hotham has more cams than here on ski.com, 8 thought it was a look?

Cover?: it would have to be retreating fairly quickly by mid-winter standards in full sun?

It’s a shame so much of Falls (Vic) runs are north-facing. Not such a problem when conditions are great, but when patchy it’s another twist of the knife.
I have always said they should have built the resort at Falls Creek and the main lifted ski terrain on the side of Spion Kopje. Yes that big massif opposite the resort. It holds snow really well and faces kind of south.

Reactions: soza and snowgum

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
I have always said they should have built the resort at Falls Creek and the main lifted ski terrain on the side of Spion Kopje. Yes that big massif opposite the resort. It holds snow really well and faces kind of south.
Yes agreed - they stuffed up really - it’s not just the 60m vertical which isn’t huge but facing south is in our mild climate! A bit late now.

On the flip side, it would be a pretty dark (shaded) village area below Spion. Steep too! It wouldn’t have the airy, sunny feel that Falls has. But would provide more reliable skiing.

More snow for Bc/tele skiers?

nick12

One of Us
May 30, 2005
NSW

They track packed castle the other day. Then had the guns running there. I'd say they will be going pretty hard to get it open.

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Dream on. We're fortunate to have the resort where it is. And xc high plains access. You can hike and ski Spion/Baker spur. Too steep for me.
Yes agreed - they stuffed up really - it’s not just the 60m vertical which isn’t huge but facing south is in our mild climate! A bit late now.

On the flip side, it would be a pretty dark (shaded) village area below Spion. Steep too! It wouldn’t have the airy, sunny feel that Falls has. But would provide more reliable skiing.

More snow for Bc/tele skiers?

Reactions: Chaeron

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Dream on. We're fortunate to have the resort where it is. And xc high plains access. You can hike and ski Spion/Baker spur. Too steep for me.
I’ve never skied there I’m afraid - I did a day trip walking to/from Johnson’s Hut. It’s a fair way out on the spur and barely a bush for cover up top.

I have, however, skied the nice blue runs below ‘Mt Nelse West’. Then climbed up to Bakers Sour then across to Heathy. Great country in deep snow!

Ironicanically, when I was young and fit enough to get out to Spion K more readily, I wasn’t really good enough to to tackle the steeps.

These days, I’m more technically competent and have the gear to tackle the sleeps but less fit.

But - I must give it a go early one spring, when SK is nicely corned up.

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
Hotham allowed free entry after 3pm year before last which enabled a quick ski without paying $52 to park.Falks however don't seem to do this. Arrivals before 5pm needs a full day permit to be paid, at least that's what the online booking process does. Correct?
I'll be buying Tuesday and Wednesday's entry today and take a printer with us to print out the permits for the next few days. Though now that Falls has number plate recognition for season pass owners I don't see why we need to be displaying bits of paper. Not a fully implemented, integrated system yet. Maybe next year?

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Hotham allowed free entry after 3pm year before last which enabled a quick ski without paying $52 to park.Falks however don't seem to do this. Arrivals before 5pm needs a full day permit to be paid, at least that's what the online booking process does. Correct?
I'll be buying Tuesday and Wednesday's entry today and take a printer with us to print out the permits for the next few days. Though now that Falls has number plate recognition for season pass owners I don't see why we need to be displaying bits of paper. Not a fully implemented, integrated system yet. Maybe next year?
Hey Goski, perhaps the season pass is the way to go, rather than all this day pass mucking around? Pays off in 7-8 days?

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
not sure that Falls' number plate recognition is what Hotham has. I got the impression it was more for wandering around the car park, not reading it automatically as you drive through

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
I note from the Falls update, there’s been 17cm of snow overnight (24 hrs).

And it looks somewhat snowy from about next Friday 9/7 for the following week. (Early days with 5+ days to go?)

It is looking more like winter - again!

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
just a bit more on the number plate recognition.
my understanding is that when Hotham put it in, falls looked at it but the numbers didn't stack up. no one entering FC resort in winter is driving through. everyone has to pay and unless you ho through late at night, has to be see at the gate. at Hotham there were enough people claiming to drive through but actually stopping that it made the case for doing it. would have saved a lot in enforcement as well as getting more revenue. at Falls, not so much

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
I note from the Falls update, there’s been 17cm of snow overnight (24 hrs).

And it looks somewhat snowy from about next Friday 9/7 for the following week. (Early days with 5+ days to go?)

It is looking more like winter - again!

there's a reason I never count on skiing till mid july

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
there's a reason I never count on skiing till mid july

Yes, agreed, have been nervous this year starting extra-early than normal (23/7).

As it is we’re taking the year 7 lad out of HS for a week - taking up his pc and homework. The timing of the modern June/July schl is ‘unfortunate’!

As a skier, Long live the old 3-term schl year with August holidays, 3 weeks for unis! :thumbs:

I suspect I won’t be skiing Summit slopes this year - nor The Maze. But then again, a half-metre dump event could be a week away - just not on the forecast as yet?

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
just a bit more on the number plate recognition.
my understanding is that when Hotham put it in, falls looked at it but the numbers didn't stack up. no one entering FC resort in winter is driving through. everyone has to pay and unless you ho through late at night, has to be see at the gate. at Hotham there were enough people claiming to drive through but actually stopping that it made the case for doing it. would have saved a lot in enforcement as well as getting more revenue. at Falls, not so much
Makes sense

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
As

When I did buy some skis at Hoys at Hotham after getting the bus from Dinner Plain for a morning ski, my wife picked me up on the way down the hill and the owning guy was lurking around and got close to booking us for a 1 minute stop.
Well if he’s on a commission? ;) :p

• Haha

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
Very busy (as you'd expect Sunday of 2nd week of holidays).

Chains on AWD this arvo due to multiple bingles of AWDs......

Attach pic is the 4pm queue for access by old gateway Cafe.

Hope RC can open this week.

20210704_164011.jpg
Starting to look like winter at Falls. Our first ski will be in Tuesday. After last year, we (me, better half and our progeny) are so looking forward to it.

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania
12 cm overnight. Road covered in snow from 11km out when we came in early this morning. Looks like it will be busy.

A day for side country and early groomers.

Windy Corner - guns blazing on Wombats

954839F1-0670-4D3D-97FB-4DEB57B89F47.jpeg

Spion Kopje looking very appealing! BC may be an option now.

EE398819-F614-4E64-A454-F765AD49A397.jpeg
Good to see. Is Windy corner operating as usual or is the public shelter part restricted due to covid? I ask as I usually ski out of there and leave my boot bag etc in the shelter (love that heated concrete slab on your tootsies).

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
12 cm overnight. Road covered in snow from 11km out when we came in early this morning. Looks like it will be busy.

Earlybird! What time did you get up this morning?

dickyknees63

Hard Yards
Aug 22, 2006
Adelaide
Anyone have a sense of when Scotts/Lakeside/Ruined Castle may open? I know Lakeside is usually the last of these 3 lifts (poma) but I'm guessing (& hoping) the other 2 aren't far off. I haven't ski'd FC since 2014 and am looking forward to our trip next week :).

Reactions: snowgum

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Good to see. Is Windy corner operating as usual or is the public shelter part restricted due to covid? I ask as I usually ski out of there and leave my boot bag etc in the shelter (love that heated concrete slab on your tootsies).
AIUI limited capacity, QR sign-in, asks required

Day shelter at resort mgt had zero attempts at enforcement on QBW. Might be tighter at windy - howman's might think it's worth having a marshall so they can double the capacity. Just guessing

Reactions: almontyrat

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania
AIUI limited capacity, QR sign-in, asks required

Day shelter at resort mgt had zero attempts at enforcement on QBW. Might be tighter at windy - howman's might think it's worth having a marshall so they can double the capacity. Just guessing
I usually get there at sparrow fart (well before the cafe opens) so I guess I can stake my claim. Might be a bit tricky coming in at lunch though if its already chockers...

Silly (and general) question. If you go in and out of a venue repeatedly during the day, do you QR code it each time? I guess so, but it seems a bit silly since there is no check out mechanism...

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic

Great pic of Spion - certainly getting closer - will look at for your advice.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass