Snow Report Falls Creek 2021 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
I usually get there at sparrow fart (well before the cafe opens) so I guess I can stake my claim. Might be a bit tricky coming in at lunch though if its already chockers...

Silly (and general) question. If you go in and out of a venue repeatedly during the day, do you QR code it each time? I guess so, but it seems a bit silly since there is no check out mechanism...
yes, check-in every time is what they say

the official position is that tracers will sort out when you left if they need to. the nsw app lets you check out but mostly i forget. in albury it seems very few even check-in.

Reactions: almontyrat
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Karicta

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 9, 2011
7189C220-64BE-40F9-92A5-F1A28FFFD4ED.png

Reactions: GobrinIce

AuroraAustralis

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Jul 2, 2014
woah.... that's possibly even worse than some of the lift queues at ruined castle poma in the 80s during school hols..!!!

Reactions: Chaeron

GobrinIce

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2019
How are crowds today? Do carparks get full at falls? I was meaning to ask because I noticed they had parking bays well down the mountain and I wondered if that was overflow parking for falls?

nick12

One of Us
May 30, 2005
NSW
How are crowds today? Do carparks get full at falls? I was meaning to ask because I noticed they had parking bays well down the mountain and I wondered if that was overflow parking for falls?
The carparks do fill on peak days. Parking bays on the access road is normally overnight parking.

Reactions: GobrinIce

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
the car parks down the road are intended for overnight parking.

day car parks do fill but it's mainly on weekends in june/july school holidays and in August. On those days they will use anything they can get their hands on, including just outside the entry gate (and some places where they would book you for parking on other days) . The shuttle runs down there on those days.

One day that the you can pretty much guarantee will fill up is 4th sat in august, hoppet day. Be early or choose another day.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
12 cm overnight. Road covered in snow from 11km out when we came in early this morning. Looks like it will be busy.

A day for side country and early groomers.

Windy Corner - guns blazing on Wombats

954839F1-0670-4D3D-97FB-4DEB57B89F47.jpeg

Spion Kopje looking very appealing! BC may be an option now.

EE398819-F614-4E64-A454-F765AD49A397.jpeg
I BC XC skied up the Paralyser yesterday.I will do a trip report with photos soon.

rowdyflat

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2003
Yackandandah NE Victoria
First ski in nearly 2 years at Falls today. Scotts and Ruined lifts most crowded .
Bit rusty for a while . There is nothing quite like skiing both for the proprioception or the legs tele.
Riding a bike out of the saddle and stair climbing helps
No wind , sunny and OK snow .
Very shallow for this time of year lots of bushes poking out .

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
First ski in nearly 2 years at Falls today. Scotts and Ruined lifts most crowded .
Bit rusty for a while . There is nothing quite like skiing both for the proprioception or the legs tele.
Riding a bike out of the saddle and stair climbing helps
No wind , sunny and OK snow .
Very shallow for this time of year lots of bushes poking out .

great you got out there RF? However shallow? Beats being stuck in the city for nearly a year!

That big front (~ Friday 16th) the weather dudes are alluding to is promising. Plus there’s a predicted top-up Mon/Tuesday (12/13th) - that should have a chance at opening the summit and covering bushes?

enjoy one for us ‘responsible’ Melbourne folks! ;) :thumbs:

Hully

One of Us
May 6, 2004
Kiewa Valley
Skiing continues to be surprisingly good. After such a warm start and persistent inversions, temperatures have dropped and snowmaking has really kicked in and yesterday's man-made was nice and dry. Skiing off the groomers on Scott's and Castle was really nice if you picked the right areas where the snow typically drifts.
IMO we've now got a season!

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Skiing continues to be surprisingly good. After such a warm start and persistent inversions, temperatures have dropped and snowmaking has really kicked in and yesterday's man-made was nice and dry. Skiing off the groomers on Scott's and Castle was really nice if you picked the right areas where the snow typically drifts.
IMO we've now got a season!

Thanks for your report Hully. Some good vibes filtering through the Vic side of border.
I’d be curious to know what lift lines are like. Apparently Hotham made the news (yesterday?) with long lines somewhere - I’m guessing HV?

Hully

One of Us
May 6, 2004
Kiewa Valley
Thanks for your report Hully. Some good vibes filtering through the Vic side of border.
I’d be curious to know what lift lines are like. Apparently Hotham made the news (yesterday?) with long lines somewhere - I’m guessing HV?
Lift queues are now exactly what I'd expect at Falls for peak visitor period. Halleys busy leading up to 10am from about 930. Towers busy from 1030 till noon. Drovers IMO is always busy and I rarely ski it. Key as always is to look at other queues on backside while riding the lifts and be flexible to move between Towers, Scott's and Castle. I really didn't find the queues to be that bad yesterday.

Hully

One of Us
May 6, 2004
Kiewa Valley
Lift queues are now exactly what I'd expect at Falls for peak visitor period. Halleys busy leading up to 10am from about 930. Towers busy from 1030 till noon. Drovers IMO is always busy and I rarely ski it. Key as always is to look at other queues on backside while riding the lifts and be flexible to move between Towers, Scott's and Castle. I really didn't find the queues to be that bad yesterday.
I should say that I get to ski all season so don't get stressed about making the most of a once a year holiday visit. Having said that I do get frustrated if I'm unnecessarily waiting in a longer queue because people aren't forming 4s.

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
I should say that I get to ski all season so don't get stressed about making the most of a once a year holiday visit. Having said that I do get frustrated if I'm unnecessarily waiting in a longer queue because people aren't forming 4s.
All credit to the Lifties - they’ve been good at forming people into 4’s

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
All credit to the Lifties - they’ve been good at forming people into 4’s
I hear from GoSki, lifties are strict on skiers with pack on lifts this year? Even slim packs - must be carried off shoulder or held - I understand? That’s gunna fun when I’m up there with my Osprey?

New Vail rules perhaps?

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
I hear from GoSki, lifties are strict on skiers with pack on lifts this year? Even slim packs - must be carried off shoulder or held - I understand? That’s gunna fun when I’m up there with my Osprey?

New Vail rules perhaps?
After getting my low profile tidy pack's waist belt partially torrn off this morning, at the top of the Scott lift, BECAUSE I was carrying it instead of wearing it (no loose straps when it's on my back) I got a bit annoyed and got the liftie to call his roaming supervisor, Alec. Alec and I had a chat, I expressed my annoyance and my view that it was a backwards dangerous rule. I had another incident yesterday on Towers where I was carrying my pack and a strap got stuck in the gate. On RC, my wife got unbalanced from carrying her pack while getting if the lift, which was running a bit too quick, and fell over.

Alec told me that it was a rule brought in last year via Perisher management, who he says have taken over the lift management at Falls. He said it is part of the Canadian ski code and that Vail are following it. It's possible that a lot more people carrying bigger packs use the lift in Canada for backcountry access, maybe to many are having lift issues.

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
After getting my low profile tidy pack's waist belt partially torrn off this morning, at the top of the Scott lift, BECAUSE I was carrying it instead of wearing it (no loose straps when it's on my back) I got a bit annoyed and got the liftie to call his roaming supervisor, Alec. Alec and I had a chat, I expressed my annoyance and my view that it was a backwards dangerous rule. I had another incident yesterday on Towers where I was carrying my pack and a strap got stuck in the gate. On RC, my wife got unbalanced from carrying her pack while getting if the lift, which was running a bit too quick, and fell over.

Alec told me that it was a rule brought in last year via Perisher management, who he says have taken over the lift management at Falls. He said it is part of the Canadian ski code and that Vail are following it. It's possible that a lot more people carrying bigger packs use the lift in Canada for backcountry access, maybe to many are having lift issues.
The signs say that packs must be removed, not just of the shoulder, and the lifties are enforcing it. Even the simplest Camelback will need to be removed so that the straps will be loose and more likely to get such in the horizontal slats on the lift chairs. Covering then all with nice pads would be a better option.

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
The signs say that packs must be removed, not just of the shoulder, and the lifties are enforcing it. Even the simplest Camelback will need to be removed so that the straps will be loose and more likely to get such in the horizontal slats on the lift chairs. Covering then all with nice pads would be a better option.
I slimmed my carrier down even more this afternoon and wore it under my softshell. Aside from making me look like a hunchback, it worked. The lifties stops hassling me. That won't work for @snowgum , his pack is somewhat larger and full of goodies.

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
I slimmed my carrier down even more this afternoon and wore it under my softshell. Aside from making me look like a hunchback, it worked. The lifties stops hassling me. That won't work for @snowgum , his pack is somewhat larger and full of goodies.
This would likely be my solution. That or take it off to board the lift, then put it on my back in the journey.

Tom from Melbourne

One of Us
Ski Pass
Dec 30, 2017

I've had 30L backpack for last 3 days, never been asked to remove it for any lift.

However, it's the same colours as my jacket so not only slim but camouflaged!

Conditions: lower village roads losing cover so no more ski in for us. Standing watching kid and nephews doing snowplay I saw a lot of skiers and boarders destroying their bases - going to be some fun conversations for the rental providers.

Tom from Melbourne

One of Us
Ski Pass
Dec 30, 2017
Not sure why the obsession with back packs unless going out the back .
ATM the cover looks pretty poor.
Do they contain food , drink and spare goggles ?

Yep, exactly- water and snacks for me and kids.

In unpredictable weather a place to stash extra/excess items (usually glove inners and balaclavas).

Probably could use pockets in jacket but pack just keeps it out of the way.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass