Snow Report Falls Creek 2021 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

Froff Life

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 2, 2014
Melbourne
Not sure why the obsession with back packs unless going out the back .
ATM the cover looks pretty poor.
Do they contain food , drink and spare goggles ?
Nothing like a warmish chairlift beer at 4pm that you've been carrying around in your pack all day.

In all seriousness though, skiing with a pack is great even just for resort days. Snacks, water, extra layers, Go Pro, goggle lenses, wallet, keys, shovel etc.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
I slimmed my carrier down even more this afternoon and wore it under my softshell. Aside from making me look like a hunchback, it worked. The lifties stops hassling me. That won't work for @snowgum , his pack is somewhat larger and full of goodies.
Mostly to share with friends, Goski?

Reactions: Chaeron

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
The signs say that packs must be removed, not just of the shoulder, and the lifties are enforcing it. Even the simplest Camelback will need to be removed so that the straps will be loose and more likely to get such in the horizontal slats on the lift chairs. Covering then all with nice pads would be a better option.

mm so upon alighting:

One hand on my pack, one hand on my ski poles and one hand (third) on the side rail as I’m fairly tall and the chairs are quite low. Third hand? :oops::rolleyes:

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
Juggling pack and poles increases the chance of an issue when getting off the lift with others sharing the ride. We ditched our packs / water carriers for the rest of the trip ( yesterday and today) and are buying hot chips for bigger snacks. Big queues at Towers and Drivers, as you'd expect on a school holiday Saturday. Ruined and Scotts are very icy today, Towers and Drivers runs are skiing well. The wind has reduced since the morning. It's a good day to be out skiing at Falls.

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
Towers lift at 11:38am. About a 10 minute wait in the queue. There is a bit of marshalling happening to get people into fours. People are staying relaxed and chill . Going into Blue Brumby for coffee and hot chocolates.

IMG_20210710_113732.jpg

Hully

One of Us
May 6, 2004
Kiewa Valley
The carparks were full to the brim and it was great to see the 4Site parking crew working to fill every available space. Given how busy the resort was and it being a Saturday I didn't think the crowds in the ski area were too bad. Queues were up and down, I took this pic of the Tower's queue at 1120....
20210710_112043.jpg

rowdyflat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2003
Yackandandah NE Victoria
Towers lift at 11:38am. About a 10 minute wait in the queue. There is a bit of marshalling happening to get people into fours. People are staying relaxed and chill . Going into Blue Brumby for coffee and hot chocolates.

IMG_20210710_113732.jpg
Lots of meltage and the skiing does not excite me but enjoy yourselves .
May change but next Sunday could be OK .

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
The carparks were full to the brim and it was great to see the 4Site parking crew working to fill every available space. Given how busy the resort was and it being a Saturday I didn't think the crowds in the ski area were too bad. Queues were up and down, I took this pic of the Tower's queue at 1120....
20210710_112043.jpg
Yes there was a brief lull then. Given it was Saturday on the last weekend of school hols and Summit and The Maze are not close to opening, we (me plus 3) still got plenty of turns in today. Doing scratchy tele turns, the wait in the queues was valuable rest time.

Hully

One of Us
May 6, 2004
Kiewa Valley
Yes there was a brief lull then. Given it was Saturday on the last weekend of school hols and Summit and The Maze are not close to opening, we (me plus 3) still got plenty of turns in today. Doing scratchy tele turns, the wait in the queues was valuable rest time.
I was dropping my knee today for the first time since finishing chemo 3 weeks ago. Been sticking to the training heels since opening weekend but it felt so good to free the heel. Are you back skiing the lifts tomorrow?

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
I was dropping my knee today for the first time since finishing chemo 3 weeks ago. Been sticking to the training heels since opening weekend but it felt so good to free the heel. Are you back skiing the lifts tomorrow?
No, we headed home on Sunday morning. I've been so busy with work today I haven't checked the Falls forum until this evening. Kids were back to school toda (Monday), me back to work, boo.
Glad you got to drop a knee and best wishes for recovery after the chemo sessions.

Last edited:

Every2years

Hard Yards
Jul 7, 2017
Loving the photos but that faint flicker of hope that we could still make our August 9 trip is nearly gone with Adelaide now complicating it further

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
My booking for the said place is for 6/8/21 - 14/8/21. I will know by 30/7/21 whether I will be forced to cancel and seek a full CV19 Lockdown related refund.
This was going to be the highlight of my life for 2021.
:-0.

That sucks too!

Can you rebook - move holiday - I’ll have to slide my block of leave back. Mrs SG too. Lucky our bosses value ‘ski-mental health’!

Places would be very limited? It’s really the only BC ski-in lodge in Vic (Aus?) and then it has its on lift!
I don’t even NSW quite has this?

Illawong above Guthega but it’s fairly simple and hasn’t got it’s it’s on lift. It does have a nearby bridge to cross the Snowy

Good luck re this.

In a less Covid-year Charlotte Pass should be on your radar too!

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
That sucks too!

Can you rebook - move holiday - I’ll have to slide my block of leave back. Mrs SG too. Lucky our bosses value ‘ski-mental health’!

Places would be very limited? It’s really the only BC ski-in lodge in Vic (Aus?) and then it has its on lift!
I don’t even NSW quite has this?

Illawong above Guthega but it’s fairly simple and hasn’t got it’s it’s on lift. It does have a nearby bridge to cross the Snowy

Good luck re this.

In a less Covid-year Charlotte Pass should be on your radar too!
I may have to simply take the refund and just tow a sled out from Windy Corner to Cope Hut or Edmondson's and set up for a week out there,
once we get 2 weeks in between lockdowns.

Yes the Bogong Rover Chalet has its OWN lift and is a BC XC ski in
only chalet.

Bookings are very tight. I may have to try again in 2022.

I 'll take whatever I can get in terms of BC XC ski action.
I did not get to snow camp in 2020. I am ready to do that and the rest!

Last edited:

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
I’m considering doing a Falls Creek trip instead of my cancelled NZ trip. May not happen as I need to travel from Adelaide

Of course the big risk is getting there and everything locking down again.

Any suggestions for good, budget accommodation? I’ll probably be there solo.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
I’m considering doing a Falls Creek trip instead of my cancelled NZ trip. May not happen as I need to travel from Adelaide

Of course the big risk is getting there and everything locking down again.

Any suggestions for good, budget accommodation? I’ll probably be there solo.
Get a sled/ pulk , snow camping gear and ski out to Pretty Valley hut or Cope Hut.
Snow camp at the hut/s and ski. It is not that far up to The Falls Creek summit to catch a ski lift for Alpine skiing coming from Pretty valley hut.
On AT gear with skins you will smash it out . Only the overnight parking will be the major expense.

• Haha
Reactions: Hully

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
Get a sled/ pulk , snow camping gear and ski out to Pretty Valley hut or Cope Hut.
Snow camp at the hut/s and ski. It is not that far up to The Falls Creek summit to catch a ski lift for Alpine skiing coming from Pretty valley hut.
On AT gear with skins you will smash it out . Only the overnight parking will be the major expense.
Sounds scenic but camping isn’t really my thing

rowdyflat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2003
Yackandandah NE Victoria
At least another 30cm , down in the valleys definitely one of the coldest days, maxm 3 degrees at midday at home.
Went bike riding over hill + dale didnt get too hot . 4 layers and hat on inside the house .
The current westerly conveyor belt is very strong = snow and wind all week , should be good snow conditions if they open up.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Still we have no XC ski trail status update on the relevant Falls Creek website. I think the groomers are waiting for the lockdown to end and then they can decide what to groom. If they groom now it will become buried under all of this fresh snow.

john_k

Hard Yards
Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
If restrictions "lift" in Victoria tomorrow night, and given all the snow etc, how long before the resort is up and running in terms of lifts, runs, parking etc? Can see a lot of snow clearing, grooming work required! Also asked the same question on Buller page. :)

Reactions: Chaeron
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums