Snow Report Falls Creek 2021 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Any update on lodges?

A friend who is member of a Hotham lodge (don't know which one), said they are going ahead - but with same restrictions as previously -QR check in, increased cleaning and limits on people in common areas.

I hope that the same applies to lodges at Falls.
There is always some ambiguity in how the general rules apply to lodges and how each lodge interprets them. Best to check with your lodge, although maybe leave it a day or 2 if not urgent as some are no doubt still finalising how they will operate.

There are certainly stricter limits on who can share rooms and many lodges will have to operate at reduced capacity too. Expect cancellations at many lodges, unless offset by interstaters unable to come.

And some lodges who were unaware of details, or perhaps stretching rules, may tighten up now that they perceive a greater risk.

And then hopefully things will all change again for the better in a couple of weeks

Reactions: Tom from Melbourne

soza

One of Us
Jun 15, 2013
Tawonga South
Got the negative test. Almost 48hr to get back.
Question is, is it 72 hours from when I received the result 12:00 on the 29-7-21
Or
72 hours from 15:30 27-9-21 when I had the test.

I'm working tomorrow and it wasn't back in time to use today or yesterday
If the 72hrs start on the test day it was all for nothing and I'm not likely to get another cleared for the weekend.

I imagine you just show the text message at the check point?

BilbyBill

One of Us
Apr 27, 2001
Tawonga, Australia.
From the Falls Creek Resort Management web site "Travel to regional Victorian Alpine Resorts is permitted provided visitors and workers have had a negative COVID test result within 72 hours of arrival at the alpine resort. Children under 12 years not included."

Reactions: Chaeron

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Got the negative test. Almost 48hr to get back.
Question is, is it 72 hours from when I received the result 12:00 on the 29-7-21
Or
72 hours from 15:30 27-9-21 when I had the test.

I'm working tomorrow and it wasn't back in time to use today or yesterday
If the 72hrs start on the test day it was all for nothing and I'm not likely to get another cleared for the weekend.

I imagine you just show the text message at the check point?
it's from when you had the test, unless the results don't have a test date on them. The test time is then assumed to be 12 hrs prior to result time. that is in the actual stay safe directions signed by CHO

sux when results take 48hrs. means daily tests for some.

Reactions: nezumi

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
From the Falls Creek Resort Management web site "Travel to regional Victorian Alpine Resorts is permitted provided visitors and workers have had a negative COVID test result within 72 hours of arrival at the alpine resort. Children under 12 years not included."
that might be what that web page says. it's not what the orders say.
which will they enforce?
who knows?

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
Here's the actual legal instrument:

Travel to an alpine resort
(7) Subject to subclause (8), a person in the State of Victoria during the stay safe period and who is aged 12 years or older must not enter an alpine resort unless the person:
(a) has undertaken a SARS-CoV-2 test no more than:​
(i) 72 hours before entering an alpine resort if the person is not an alpine worker;​

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Here's the actual legal instrument:

Travel to an alpine resort
(7) Subject to subclause (8), a person in the State of Victoria during the stay safe period and who is aged 12 years or older must not enter an alpine resort unless the person:
(a) has undertaken a SARS-CoV-2 test no more than:​
(i) 72 hours before entering an alpine resort if the person is not an alpine worker;​
and a bit further down it says the bit about assuming when the test was done if it's not explicitly stated in the results

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
I tested yesterday, got results this morning, am travelling overnight Friday and will be at Falls Saturday and staying off mountain in Mt Beauty Saturday night. Unless there is some leeway I won’t be able to re-enter the resort Sunday morning…

Looks like I’ll be camping on the snow at Watchbed Creek or Pretty Valley after all….

Reactions: snowgum

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
I tested yesterday, got results this morning, am travelling overnight Friday and will be at Falls Saturday and staying off mountain in Mt Beauty Saturday night. Unless there is some leeway I won’t be able to re-enter the resort Sunday morning…

Looks like I’ll be camping on the snow at Watchbed Creek or Pretty Valley after all….
+1 tried rang on tue to get a testing appointment. finally a got a test lunchtime today. results not expected till sat. will test again on sat if tue looks ok.

Reactions: snowgum and Chaeron
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Moondog55

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 2014
You could camp on the other side of the dam along the aqueduct track, I've done that a few times. Not part of the National Park or the Designated resort area. If you find an old ford 15" rim you will know where I propped and really quite close to the Windy Corner Cafe for coffee

Chaeron

Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
You could camp on the other side of the dam along the aqueduct track, I've done that a few times. Not part of the National Park or the Designated resort area. If you find an old ford 15" rim you will know where I propped and really quite close to the Windy Corner Cafe for coffee
Good call. Looks like a plan!

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Starting to turn a little now. Wet snow/rain.
Fwiw: I have a week to go until I’m there!
Just hope it’s more a mix than pure rain until the cold air arrives tomorrow am?

A damp mix doesn’t seem to melt the pack as badly as pure sheets of clear **** stuff!

Slide Sideways

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 2, 2012
Today was fun

first time back since August 2019, Covid made us cancel our 2020 pass.

A little frustrating on the drive up, the slow lane not being used, dropped speed limits to 40kmh and few too many traffic directors. Covid negative checks were done very quickly.

once on snow, that feeling came back and all the frustration was totally forgotten.

A light dusting of snow overnight meant some freshies, although a little damp, cloudy sky and light winds…. Till around 11.30am when the fog rolled in, wind picked up to mega and cold, 4pm was last ride for us.
Mountain looks amazing, snow got a little heavy, legs became numb, body now feeling the long absence from riding.

A16BE0D5-82E7-47C3-BFEE-E6E6D2D3D806.jpeg

6FEA6719-96AD-448B-91A2-9BADC77A1EE6.jpeg

6931219A-0BB9-4884-AFCC-E37BB1FD3AE3.jpeg

B2FF12E4-F69F-4FC0-81E7-E61097D50EDF.jpeg

81DC4EFD-A8B2-43D0-B4D2-E4644379DB9F.jpeg

Sadie

Chk Chk Boom
Ski Pass
Aug 31, 2001
Melbourne
^ what he said. I was sound asleep when he wrote that.

Mountain is nicely covered. The snow itself was kind of heavy. Not sure how much the skiers like that. I didn’t mind it as it was good for finding my feet again and forgiving when I lost them LOL I dug a ripper edge trying to find Shadow Ridge in the fog.

Had a great day and it was great to catch up with a few friends for a ride. Appreciated the pole tow.

My body is feeling it today.

Gandalf

Hard Yards
Mar 18, 2020
Melbourne
God it feels so good to be back up on the snow.... since Aug 2019. Very thankful there wasn't a 25km travel limit for metro Melbourne after this snap lockdown.

Snow on Saturday was quite wet but really forgiving. On Sunday however.... after the rain overnight and a bit of a freeze, conditions were firm and icy AF. Beautiful bluebird day though.

Cloud 9 had pretty long queues on Saturday from ~11:45am onwards due to density restrictions but was okay on Sunday. Overall the mountain was pretty empty on Sunday, I never had to queue for more than ~3 minutes. Lifties were still annoyingly asking everyone to remove one strap on their backpacks though.

COVID test checks were easy on the way up. We were two households in the same car (staying in separate rooms at a lodge) but they didn't check on that.

Overall a bloody fantastic weekend. Always love the chill vibes at falls and progressive terrain.

IMG_5903.JPG

Ruined castle - that shiny surface is rock solid ice.

IMG_5833.JPG

Rapunzels, traversing across to Lakeside

IMG_5931.JPG

Last lift up Towers

Chaeron

Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
Yup, was an awesome weekend. Toured to Edmondsons hut & back Saturday - good cover, slow snow. Low viz. made the return leg a bit slower. Met 2 tele skiers at the hut.

I had originally intended to camp overnight, but as I got there midday decided to return for some resort skiing. Had I been smarter I would have skied with the 4 kg daypack rather than the 14 kg overnighter!

So glad I came back for Sunday’s inbounds skiing - absolutely awesome. Given the firm snow conditions I spent my time straightlining Rapunzels and working on my slalom technique.

Slide Sideways

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 2, 2012
100% agree @Gandalf with that backpack rule, the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard, more likely to snag up with one strap removed. In 30 years I’ve never snagged a buckle on a chairlift.
I was more concerned that the signage about masks to be worn in the lift lines were not adhered to.
I had my neck buff over my mouth and nose when waiting to load.

Chaeron

Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
100% agree @Gandalf with that backpack rule, the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard, more likely to snag up with one strap removed. In 30 years I’ve never snagged a buckle on a chairlift.
I was more concerned that the signage about masks to be worn in the lift lines were not adhered to.
I had my neck buff over my mouth and nose when waiting to load.
@Goski …..

Slalom

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 17, 2013
Melbourne
Back on mountain for the first time since 2018.
Beautiful bluebird day despite the ordinary snow. Lots of icy areas but still great to be up again.
Scott’s/Ruined were a bit treacherous but things improved as you worked along to Lakeside/Drovers. Poma was probably the pick of the day.
Hopefully with the snow coming through tonight/tomorrow will improve conditions.

willsnow

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 19, 2017
is this a serious question?

the resort went from closed on Tue to all lifts except IIRC Inter and you think that's unreasonable? it does take a fair bit of effort to build the inter track. I was amazed that they got Lakeside going,
It was a serious question. Thanks for putting that into perspective, especially with the Covid situation. I'm not a regular FC skier and thought they would run Inter poma as the area looks to be well covered.

And also maybe because I'm going there on Wednesday and reallllly want to ride that poma.

Cheers.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Inter is always the last lift to get going, needing good cover and some work on the track. The runs are still skiable using gully and summit. I understand that gully now has the old eagle motor and can be run above snail's pace. still a bit of a PITA but worth it for a good run

willsnow

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 19, 2017
On another note, does anyone have a good recommendation for lunch places at FC? I liked the cafe at bottom of Eagles last time I was there in 2017 but not sure if it's still around. I think it's called 'BE' cafe

willsnow

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 19, 2017
Inter is always the last lift to get going, needing good cover and some work on the track. The runs are still skiable using gully and summit. I understand that gully now has the old eagle motor and can be run above snail's pace. still a bit of a PITA but worth it for a good run
Good to know. I know that you can do summit and Gully loop but was hoping to avoid Gully as it's very slow. And really, just want to experience riding that poma

Reactions: AuroraAustralis

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
On another note, does anyone have a good recommendation for lunch places at FC? I liked the cafe at bottom of Eagles last time I was there in 2017 but not sure if it's still around. I think it's called 'BE' cafe

Be Food is no more, sadly

Alpine Pepper at the bottom of inter should be good for a quick lunch. I enjoyed paninis there over summer but don't know anything about their winter menu.
Bob Sugar at elk was good on qbw. not the cheapest but good if you want to spoil yourself a bit.
milch can be a bit up and down but on its day it's pretty good
frying pan has been quite good since new mgt took over a few years back.
on a sunny day it's hard to beat a beer on the balcony at the hotel.

cloud 9 had also been quite good since the change in management but I hear that covid density limits are making it hard to get into. this is probably affecting some other places too, especially slopeside ones.

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
Yup, was an awesome weekend. Toured to Edmondsons hut & back Saturday - good cover, slow snow. Low viz. made the return leg a bit slower. Met 2 tele skiers at the hut.

I had originally intended to camp overnight, but as I got there midday decided to return for some resort skiing. Had I been smarter I would have skied with the 4 kg daypack rather than the 14 kg overnighter!

So glad I came back for Sunday’s inbounds skiing - absolutely awesome. Given the firm snow conditions I spent my time straightlining Rapunzels and working on my slalom technique.
How did you go with the silly pack rule on the lifts @Chaeron ?

jabiru

One of Us
Jul 16, 2002
Melbourne
Heading up next week , mainly ski at Perisher but not going to NSW so looking to use up some EPIC pass at Falls , very interested in resort info , such as snow coverage and conditions , where to have lunch ( as above ) road conditions ,parking , crowds , lift lines pictures etc staying off mtn with my daughter , have been to Falls a few years ago , stayed at Huski and loved it ,, cant wait ,,thanks all for any info

Reactions: Snowy Joey

Slalom

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 17, 2013
Melbourne
Has been snowing persistently all day which has been great for the cover compared to yesterday (icy).
Sadly though, had to spend most of our time skiing around the tree areas of Last/Fast Hoot due to terrible visibility. Looks like more snow tomorrow morning but vis still looking poor.
Just gonna make the most of it as leaving Thursday.
Weekend looking great so get up if you can.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
I note the FC Snow report feed to this site isn’t updating regularly.

Good news: 13 cm overnight, claiming 136 cm ave, with 145 in the bowl.

I guess it’s too soon to ask (yes again!): ‘are we there yet with International?

Can I please ask if anyone is aware of any impediments, like ropes, marking tickets etc…, if I try the maze next week - using the twin chair method? Cheers!

I acknowledge that after an 18-month wait, my ski gear is practically dancing around my lounge room on its own! :)

• Haha

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Most asked questions at Falls Creek

Can I take luggage on the Gully chair?
Is International running?
Yes, Don’t forget ‘where to eat’ and ‘how’s the food at xyz these days’?

Wemostly self catering - But I hope the Man and Coq & Bull are still OK for a simple family pub tea?

Kids f&chps, steaks etc…? Cheers! :cool::thumbs:

We often go to Milch in summer, it’s close to the lodge, Their meals are pretty good too. Possibly fewer kids’ choices? Good staff too! V friendly!

nick12

One of Us
May 30, 2005
NSW
I note the FC Snow report feed to this site isn’t updating regularly.

Good news: 13 cm overnight, claiming 136 cm ave, with 145 in the bowl.

I guess it’s too soon to ask (yes again!): ‘are we there yet with International?

Can I please ask if anyone is aware of any impediments, like ropes, marking tickets etc…, if I try the maze next week - using the twin chair method? Cheers!

I acknowledge that after an 18-month wait, my ski gear is practically dancing around my lounge room on its own! :)
Must be something wrong with it. Or they don't see it as a priority but it is a far more important lift than lakeside.

Reactions: snowgum

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Must be something wrong with it. Or they don't see it as a priority but it is a far more important lift than lakeside.

I hope not. You’d they think they’d eventually say something? Even under Covid? Say if we reach a 3m ave and it’s silent?

Slalom

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 17, 2013
Melbourne
Yep, what looked like being ordinary turned out better than anticipated.
The cloud lifted a bit with occasional sun bursts. Just ducked in for lunch after hitting Towers/Ruined all morning.

willsnow

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 19, 2017
Afternoon session was a bit meh. Foggy throughout with snow/mizzle on/off. Had fun at the maze.

Gully was a surprise. I actually think it was running at a decent speed, much improved compared to the old snails pace. This makes the Gully summit loop to access the maze worthwhile

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass