Ski Pass
Nov 6, 1998
Melbourne
EDA782FE-F23A-4E2F-8155-39FF883FCF9B.jpeg

Slide Sideways

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 2, 2012
Probably the best day I have had this season. Had a nice gully-eagle-summit routine going to take out any legwork and provide alternate Ys and maze runs. Even found a few new lines through the trees.
Was nice to be back on forgiving snow after Sundays hardpack.
org_photo_6619158_1628040138000.jpg
org_photo_6619149_1628038956000.jpg
org_photo_6619164_1628040766000.jpg
org_photo_6619142_1628037876000.jpg
Is international running? o_O

• Haha
Reactions: Sadie

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
No not yet.

I did hear that they are waiting on a part :-(
They do know it’s now August don’t they? :mad:

I should be just grateful I’m going up next week and I am. But International is usually the highlight of any lifted day at Falls.

I just hope it’s a whopping big expensive part no Aussie ski operator would dream of keeping in their store. I’d hate to think it was only a simple $10 doohickey? :oops:

Anyway, if it’s Summit & Gully so be it! I’m in! :cool::thumbs:
…counting the days!

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
They do know it’s now August don’t they? :mad:

I should be just grateful I’m going up next week and I am. But International is usually the highlight of any lifted day at Falls.

I just hope it’s a whopping big expensive part no Aussie ski operator would dream of keeping in their store. I’d hate to think it was only a simple $10 doohickey? :oops:

Anyway, if it’s Summit & Gully so be it! I’m in! :cool::thumbs:
…counting the days!
Mmm Covid delays? Austria? …..

Reactions: Chaeron

skimax

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2000
Melbourne Australia
My Son reports very good conditions up there at Falls today , he saw some folks riding Inter from top of Scotts and i asked him to go check it out.

Reactions: snowgum

willsnow

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 19, 2017
Arvo session was foggy with occassional sunburst. Spent my time around the maze.

Question whether International Poma is going to run tomorrow is moot now given the lockdown situation

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

TinkyH23

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2008
Macedon Ranges, Victoria
Heading home tomorrow.
Got 1 glorious day of skiing in before they shut us down.
With all the Covid test, trip registering hoops etc we naively thought that once we got up here our 9 night stay would be safe.

Passed quite a lot of people out walking today on our “2 hours of exercise”, and a few bold climbers skiing/boarding the summit. But pretty deserted overall. Weird feeling.

Oh well.

F75EF4A2-AF61-4576-A501-6AEE627A07E1.jpeg

CDD2936B-62CB-4BBE-9E18-ADD49483AC72.jpeg

91CD97D7-3AAC-4D0A-8038-0F579F1028D5.jpeg

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Heading home tomorrow.
Got 1 glorious day of skiing in before they shut us down.
With all the Covid test, trip registering hoops etc we naively thought that once we got up here our 9 night stay would be safe.

Passed quite a lot of people out walking today on our “2 hours of exercise”, and a few bold climbers skiing/boarding the summit. But pretty deserted overall. Weird feeling.

Oh well.

F75EF4A2-AF61-4576-A501-6AEE627A07E1.jpeg

CDD2936B-62CB-4BBE-9E18-ADD49483AC72.jpeg

91CD97D7-3AAC-4D0A-8038-0F579F1028D5.jpeg
Full points for effort / sprit/pics!

I’m glad you got a day. Very sorry for losing the bulk of your break! :(

Sadly, we were being Covid tested while folks in the waiting room were listening to the LD announcement. So close at second attempt for 2021?

Let’s hope the LD ends soon!

FWIW, That snow cover looks pretty good for early August. And still beckons for a third attempt! Maybe a good Spring in the offer?

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
1628431728675.png
1628431728675.png
I would have been up there at the Bogong Rover Chalet this whole week but the plague had other plans for me and a good number of other XC skiers. There is plenty of snow out there on the BHP and no one skiing on it.
It sucks! We would have waved from Falls this week. Would have been a good day to arrive too, today? :rolleyes:

Also wondering if I’ll be trying to postpone our Epic passes and use next year? I wonder our the third pandemic winter will be better than the first two? :confused:

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Look at the good side; there may be some cheap skis and boots for sale after the season ends.
I have more ski gear now than I have ever had: Five pairs of Pattern Base skis and two pairs of Boots. One pair of boots is NNN BC , the other 3 Pin .
I have all the gear and no idea ;-P .

If you have a season pass of some sort then I would swap it over to 2022. This ski season or what is left of it is going to be 2 weeks lockdown/one week open . Over and over again until Xmas 2021.
That means maybe two more proper chances to ski before it all melts.

• Wow
Reactions: snowgum

Angleski

Hard Yards
Jan 28, 2016
North of Anglesea
Lockdown finishes tonight for regional victoria. Will falls/hotham repoen?????????
I'd imagine there are some hastily arranged meetings on to work out what resorts will do. My read of the Govt messaging is that DoH feels that they are close to being on top of the Melbourne cases. Fingers crossed that gives the resorts the confidence to open to regional Vic with a hope Melbourne restrictions will ease in the not too distant future. I'm thinking how I could get up there (from regional) this weekend and into Monday next week if lifts are open, or even XC. Part of if is supporting the businesses and their staff.

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
I'd imagine there are some hastily arranged meetings on to work out what resorts will do. My read of the Govt messaging is that DoH feels that they are close to being on top of the Melbourne cases. Fingers crossed that gives the resorts the confidence to open to regional Vic with a hope Melbourne restrictions will ease in the not too distant future. I'm thinking how I could get up there (from regional) this weekend and into Monday next week if lifts are open, or even XC. Part of if is supporting the businesses and their staff.
Falls have already announced they're opening.

Slide Sideways

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 2, 2012
Living the length of international lift inside the Melbourne metro area to regional border is really beginning to be annoying :cry:

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
From Vail
Hi All,

We are reopening!

The Victorian Government has announced that from midnight tonight the lockdown will lift in regional Victoria, and we are so happy to welcome our regional guests back to the resort from tomorrow, Tuesday 10 August.

Our teams will be working hard to get the resort operating again, and to ensure everyone’s safety we will be gradually reopening the mountain. Please check our website through the afternoon as we update information on the lifts expected to operate over the coming days. https://www.skifalls.com.au/discover-falls-creek/conditions-maps/snow-weather

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Halleys and Towers tomorrow

Our teams are working hard to reopen the mountain. Halley's Comet Quad Chair and Towers Quad Chair are expected to open from tomorrow, we will continue to update the Lift Report as we gradually recommence operations. Snowsport school will open for Private Lessons from tomorrow and Homebase will open from 8am for rentals & ticket collection.

Chris W

First Runs
Jul 4, 2021
Halleys and Towers tomorrow

Our teams are working hard to reopen the mountain. Halley's Comet Quad Chair and Towers Quad Chair are expected to open from tomorrow, we will continue to update the Lift Report as we gradually recommence operations. Snowsport school will open for Private Lessons from tomorrow and Homebase will open from 8am for rentals & ticket collection.
If anyone hears rumours on extra lifts that will turning soon? Please post here! We are thinking about swapping our stay on mountain from August 20-23 to August 13-15. Weather forecast for this weekend is a bit better than next week, not too busy with Melbourne in lockdown and also Falls Creek Hotel can hopefully sell our room again to Melbs people. But we are not doing that if only 2 or 3 lifts are open and kids lessons are not running…

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
If anyone hears rumours on extra lifts that will turning soon? Please post here! We are thinking about swapping our stay on mountain from August 20-23 to August 13-15. Weather forecast for this weekend is a bit better than next week, not too busy with Melbourne in lockdown and also Falls Creek Hotel can hopefully sell our room again to Melbs people. But we are not doing that if only 2 or 3 lifts are open and kids lessons are not running…
I think they are intending to have more on the weekend but no idea how many

Reactions: Chris W

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
We ain’t getting out next week…. IMHO
This lockdown number 6 will go until the Vic. School holidays in September at least IMHO.

If it goes longer than that then many small businesses will not reopen . Period.
The Melb. CBD will not recover.
The performing arts will lose many talented people who need to eat and pay rent.
Many parents who are working from home will be well past the concept of even trying to do "home schooling".

Many ski related businesses on and off the mountains will not break even this season.
:-(

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Quite possibly. I note the ski gear lying (ready) around the lounge ain’t dancing around anymore! :cry:

…any thoughts on 2020’? :rolleyes:
My ski gear ( ski bag, skis, poles etc. ) has gone back under the house in the cellar. My other gear is ready and packed for 7 days of BC rations, attire, snow camping etc.
It could be 4-5 more weeks before we get let out .

I find losing 2 ski seasons back to back to be depressing at best.
:-(
Only people who ski and are passionate about the Australian Alps comprehend this.

Most people have NFI and have never seen snow before let alone skied or even bushwalked in the Vic. Alps or the KNP.

The only silver linings in the big black cloud that keeps following us are that I think The Prime Minister and his rotten LNP Govt. may be booted out next year for being useless and that I have found I can skin up hills and into base snow camps with a huge multi night pack on my back on skis.
2022 will be very much about the B.H.P. and ski touring with a big pack , towing a sleddy thing, getting intermediate level ski lesssons and white season adventures.

In other words what I had planned for the 2020 ski season.

soza

One of Us
Jun 15, 2013
Tawonga South
Fingers crossed everyone can make it back soon.
For those who have missed or missing peak season trips I would definitely consider giving September a go.
Sure, your not going to get everything open, no real freshies and touring options may be limited but for us it's the best.....we ski about 20 days in September, almost as much as we do the rest of the season.
Check prices out, accommodation drops dramatically. We always book a week at Falls followed by a week at Perisher staying in Jindy.

Bluebird days everyday! No whiteouts, drizzle of freezing arctic blasts.
No lift queues!!!
Hero snow (gets a bit crappy in the afternoon so go early). It's soft n slushy, perfect time for some lessons or terrain park laps. Off piste softens up nice so whatever is white is fair go.
You can drive up to your accommodation so no paying for oversnow and if your driving up probably don't need to worry about fitting chains. Plus if you are staying off the hill, bring the bikes....ski the morning and MTB big hill in the afternoon!
Saying that, it's not unusual to have pow days in September, especially the first couple of weeks just like we had in 2019.
Not to forget the September school holidays! Late season is so much better than early season.

Sadie

Chk Chk Boom
Ski Pass
Aug 31, 2001
Melbourne
Yesterday....
We got to try out the new night board "night rider 2.0" the first attempt worked well but this one turned out way better.
Outdoor LED strip and a heap of super glue!
Now I just have to make another two so we have one each!
That’s pretty cool

Reactions: soza and snowgum

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
Fingers crossed everyone can make it back soon.
For those who have missed or missing peak season trips I would definitely consider giving September a go.
Sure, your not going to get everything open, no real freshies and touring options may be limited but for us it's the best.....we ski about 20 days in September, almost as much as we do the rest of the season.
Check prices out, accommodation drops dramatically. We always book a week at Falls followed by a week at Perisher staying in Jindy.

Bluebird days everyday! No whiteouts, drizzle of freezing arctic blasts.
No lift queues!!!
Hero snow (gets a bit crappy in the afternoon so go early). It's soft n slushy, perfect time for some lessons or terrain park laps. Off piste softens up nice so whatever is white is fair go.
You can drive up to your accommodation so no paying for oversnow and if your driving up probably don't need to worry about fitting chains. Plus if you are staying off the hill, bring the bikes....ski the morning and MTB big hill in the afternoon!
Saying that, it's not unusual to have pow days in September, especially the first couple of weeks just like we had in 2019.
Not to forget the September school holidays! Late season is so much better than early season.
First week of September school hols we'll aim to get some accom and get to use our Epic passes again after just a few days of use in the July school holidays. Doubt we'll be allowed up from Melbourne for the rest of August. Hoping for September.

Reactions: soza and snowgum

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
First week of September school hols we'll aim to get some accom and get to use our Epic passes again after just a few days of use in the July school holidays. Doubt we'll be allowed up from Melbourne for the rest of August. Hoping for September.
Level 4.1 lockdown (with a nightly curfew and all playgrounds shut ) has now been extended until 1/9/21.
I wonder if Vail will bother with continuing their operations at Falls Ck. and at Mt. Hotham. 80% of their visitors come from the Village of the Danned
[ Melb. ].

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Angleski
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass