Snow Report Falls Creek 2021 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

Hully

One of Us
May 6, 2004
Kiewa Valley
Level 4.1 lockdown (with a nightly curfew and all playgrounds shut ) has now been extended until 1/9/21.
I wonder if Vail will bother with continuing their operations at Falls Ck. and at Mt. Hotham. 80% of their visitors ( including me ) come from the Village of the Danned
[ Melb. ].
As a XC skier you will have zero bearing on any decision that Vail makes. You are not a customer of theirs.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
As a XC skier you will have zero bearing on any decision that Vail makes. You are not a customer of theirs.
I was merely speculating as someone who is a fan of Falls Creek.
I was planning to get some Telemark ski lessons and rehearse these skills on a ski lift run ( Halley's Comet or Drover's dream ) at Falls Creek. If not this season then 100% for certain in 2022 insh` Allah.
Every time I try to get up there to do this ,we get locked down !.
:-(

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Zombie BOM weather report for Falls said cloudy .
Yack weather said crystal clear , it was clear as usual on any sort of south wind.
Pleasant ,fast snow, a dusting , we used the Epic pass and the lifts to get out the back touring quickly.
made other commitments based on weather forecast :(

MIROU

Hard Yards
Oct 15, 2018
Leykaul, Belgium, Europe
Hi! me again........ just having fun looking & reading all your comments ...... 1.- if only you all could imagine the Falls in years 1955 + ..... and 2.- here in Belgium we are considering the way Covid Pandemia is treated in Australia and New Zealand is the best in the World because finally you have very few cases and consequently little death .............. so cheer up ! Here we are speaking of a 4th wave ... and an extra (3rd) jug of vaccine ......
Mirou

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
The table o meter at Falls Creek is looking good today 5/9/21. We all wish we were permitted to travel there and ski. Skiing is the best medicine to cure long term lockdown cabin fever. 1630797858826.png
1630797858826.png

Reactions: TinkyH23
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
It's a job creation scheme for the guys & gals who clear the roads - not much else to do when you can't ski, board or marshall punters in lift queues.
  • no customers needing ski in ski out
  • residents needing easy access around the village
  • running oversnow would be a huge $ loss
why wouldn't you clear the roads?

now that the resort has been allowed to reopen, it's a pita for the few customers who can come. not sure how much ski in/out there would have been anyway

TinkyH23

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2008
Macedon Ranges, Victoria
We hit the slopes at 8.30am this morning. Expected ice but it was already softening a little bit. Skied drovers and towers with only a handful of others for about 30 mins. Had some great runs. It got a bit busier later but still not a tenth of a normal September Saturday. Very grateful to get another couple of days up here.
Wombats ramble was slow and slushy very early on. Patchy too in many sections. We only skied it again when we came in at 11, by which time the snow was well and truly slush and very sticky.
Snow coming tomorrow?

CA85C232-F508-4991-AE52-E80BB09D7ACA.png

4D7AAF03-F7EA-4323-A2D9-043EF8411F5B.png

E4570924-70B5-4D3F-AB99-820454D42D45.png

7EA6992A-A18F-49C8-8B44-936F25BB5E70.jpeg

C5E94F8D-6368-46D9-B069-DB348CBAF804.jpeg

soza

One of Us
Jun 15, 2013
Tawonga South
Scotts open today instead of drovers, made a nice change and gave a bit more variety.
Nice spring conditions off the groomers so sundown and darkside provided a nice playground. Hardly anyone on the mountain, certainly quieter than on Saturday. By the look of the cams we have had 5cm already so tomorrow could be a fun one
IMG_20210912_195302.jpg

IMG_20210912_195340.jpg

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
I’ve thought about it ……. :cry: :out:
Seeing anyone on at Falls does good things for my mental health.

I reminisced about throwing carve turns at speed down Scottys while rollerblading round the local netball court with the local primary school kids this afternoon.

Get down low, ignore your quads screaming at you, use your weight to initiate a turn, ignore the stones on the crumbling tarmac and the 10 year old on their bike about to cut you off…..

I’m alive and someone, somewhere is out there on the snow….. And surely there is something beyond this lockdown…

Snowy Joey

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 14, 2014
Dandenong ranges Vic
Seeing anyone on at Falls does good things for my mental health.

I reminisced about throwing carve turns at speed down Scottys while rollerblading round the local netball court with the local primary school kids this afternoon.

Get down low, ignore your quads screaming at you, use your weight to initiate a turn, ignore the stones on the crumbling tarmac and the 10 year old on their bike about to cut you off…..

I’m alive and someone, somewhere is out there on the snow….. And surely there is something beyond this lockdown…
Snap. Helps remind me that the snow is still out there waiting for us, if not this year. Hopefully next year is not like the last two.
Glad our new local netball court is getting some use. Not sure if it's even had a proper game held there yet thanks to covid.

Reactions: Chaeron

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
Snap. Helps remind me that the snow is still out there waiting for us, if not this year. Hopefully next year is not like the last two.
Glad our new local netball court is getting some use. Not sure if it's even had a proper game held there yet thanks to covid.
I rollerblade at the old netball courts in Emerald at the footy oval which is also frequented by the skateboarders. Down at the Cockatoo Rec Reserve I join the primary kids on their bikes. I have to be careful so I don’t cause accidents, so generally only go there when the weather is unattractive.

I’ve given the Emerald High School parking lot near Avonsleigh a flogging, and only used the new netball courts at Emerald once before I noticed rollerblading was verboten. So no more.

Difficult to find enough flat ground up here in the hills to blade on - Monbulk Rec reserve parking lot has the nicest local surface, but out of my 5km range. Trust me to live off Paternoster Road where the slope incline is at 30 degrees and my local roads are gravel and steep…

Of course Eastern Freeway bike path gives one kilometres and kilometres of fast smooth surface, and my surface of choice is the Carribean Gardens Rollerama - only 30 minutes away when it’s open.

Now that’s its drier it’s time to hit Wright Forest and the C.J Chambers reserve on the mountain bike.

No fitness, bugger!

The highlight of my rollerblading career, initiated during last year’s lockdown has been twofold - speedskating training with a club at the Rollerama, and skating between Germantown and Bright on the nice smooth bicycle path.
Awesome to read @PK Sawd ‘s and @LMB ’s rolling adventures on the Park thread!

Can recommend! It’s not snow, but at least it’s something!

All this will pass soon. And we’ll be back at the snow.

I’m very grateful - I got 11 days this year, including 2 inbounds trips to Falls, one to Perisher, a short back country trip out of Guthega, and another day trip out of Falls to Nelse and back and a little amble out to McKay.

And then there’s all the new gear from 2 years of careful saving and online bargains to properly baptise!

The best part of the year was seeing my 14 year old son straightlining Scottys on his new race skis.

He now tells me that raw speed in and of itself doesn’t cut it - moguls are where it’s at!

In 2019 I managed to ski on Nelse in November. 2021 - who knows…. Walking up onto the Bogong High Plains in falling snow via Paling Spur in January and waking up to a snow-covered landscape outside Youngs Hut after a cold overnight suggests one never knows what the High Country holds.

soza

One of Us
Jun 15, 2013
Tawonga South
Staying on the mountain for a few nights and our first day yesterday wasn't anything too exciting. All lifts except Hayley's on wind hold so a few laps of wombats in the wet.
Today was totally different.
Towers and Scotts chairs as per the norm but with fresh snow falling throughout the day that whole side of the mountain was a pow hunting playground.

Sad to see the place so empty. Business are doing it hard but as normal service, food quality and the friendliness can't be faulted.
Regional Victorians certainly seem put off with the covid swabs or number of lifts turning.
The swabs are a pain....I've probably had a dozen so far but if staying on the mountain you only need the one to get up. Plenty of accommodation all offering crazy deals and the two lifts give plenty of options if you stretch your legs a bit.
If you've been to NZ you know you don't need loads of lifts for lots of fun.

Here's what you missed today and by all accounts tomorrow is going to be even better
org_photo_6554524_1632100230000.jpg
IMG_20210920_173628.jpg
IMG_20210920_173405.jpg
IMG_20210920_172945.jpg
IMG_20210920_105537.jpg

soza

One of Us
Jun 15, 2013
Tawonga South
Yesterday was one of those days you normally wouldn't bother, but as it was the last chance to head up as a family we gave it a shot.
We were drenched!
But saying that, main street was skiing super nice and no one, literally no one else was there.
To be honest we ended up having a hoot and got to say our goodbyes to the mountain.
It was a funny old season....
6 weeks of peak season locked down, couple of lifts never turned, events cancelled, didn't get to see old friends, school ski days cancelled and the sad emptiness of the cafes and accommodation.
But in saying that, after the full cancellation of 2020 this ended up been one of the most fun that we have had.
All up I managed 37 days and will probably squeeze one more in this weekend.

Sadie

Chk Chk Boom
Ski Pass
Aug 31, 2001
Melbourne
Yesterday was one of those days you normally wouldn't bother, but as it was the last chance to head up as a family we gave it a shot.
We were drenched!
But saying that, main street was skiing super nice and no one, literally no one else was there.
To be honest we ended up having a hoot and got to say our goodbyes to the mountain.
It was a funny old season....
6 weeks of peak season locked down, couple of lifts never turned, events cancelled, didn't get to see old friends, school ski days cancelled and the sad emptiness of the cafes and accommodation.
But in saying that, after the full cancellation of 2020 this ended up been one of the most fun that we have had.
All up I managed 37 days and will probably squeeze one more in this weekend.
Nice!

#soundtrack :love:

Reactions: soza

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
We have had 60 mm of rain locally , Falls maybe a bit less , if the McKay road opens McKay may be worth a ski a few days after it snows this week , need 4WD ?
It is a long walk from the bottom gate in the ski area near Towers.
Sad but you’ve had a reasonable run RF in a second

Bit jealous of you but with double vax, I figure next year my family, mates and I will finally get a sort of season in… (I’ll have two spare seasons in my knees and other joints?) :thumbs: :);) :ski:

See you up there in 23’ (testing UltraVectors, Lynx et al…)

Reactions: Chaeron
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass