Snow Report Falls Creek 2022 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

GobrinIce

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2019
Nice day today, more around ruined and Scotts (apologies for repetition of reporting) but can report those areas are still fun. It was less icy than earlier this week. It's still busy around the place, I notice a lot of NSW number plates so I assume many are doing like us and avoiding perisher. But not many I speak to are from sydney.

Through the trees at Scotts was good and the moguls down the end were soft enough. We did a couple runs of fox trail and that is one icy roller coaster. My youngest wanted to go a third time but I was just glad to have escaped unharmed through the first two. Somehow little newbie kids speeding through seemed to handle it more confidently and competently than me.

No lakeside opening yet. A few lifties saying it will open, but no indication of when, so that's not really useful.

First few runs of night skiing were surprisingly fun. Not too busy. Too many people by 7 had us heading home.

My traversing skills are improving, essential falls creek skills, and the windy shelter has me envying the slick looking cross country skiers.

Continues to be breezy good times on the mountains. Last day tomorrow. Already missing it.
IMG20220713155831.jpg
IMG20220713155859.jpg
IMG20220713165051.jpg
IMG20220713165736.jpg
IMG20220713174010.jpg
IMG20220713174018.jpg
IMG20220713181912.jpg

GobrinIce

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2019
Absolutely perfect weather day today. Nice cold temperatures with full sun and very still. Icy most everywhere today. A few more patches and rocks and little shrubs popping through the snow but it is very good cover, just needs a snow. We were mainly on southside and big dipper today. Went again to summit but the ice and moguls wasn't appealing. Got some happy runs on groomed snow where the elite skiers go round the flags at ruined castle at about 1 when they all packed up and we returned from lunch. I couldn't match the lines they were doing.

My whole family have improved their skiing and confidence from the trip and it's been a privilege spending our week in the mount beauty and falls creek area. Sorry to go on about it, but Windy shelter lunch breaks were the highlights, sunny and relaxed and beautiful.

Definitely feel falls is the most accessible of the big resorts we've been to. Sad not to have gotten on lakeside as that would have opened up more of the terrain on that side. Didn't like the crowds and bustle of wombat and tower chairs whenever I dared to try so avoided all that.
IMG20220714100743.jpg
IMG20220714104537.jpg
IMG20220714104615.jpg
IMG20220714140523.jpg

IMG20220714140557.jpg

soza

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2013
Tawonga South
Absolutely perfect weather day today. Nice cold temperatures with full sun and very still. Icy most everywhere today. A few more patches and rocks and little shrubs popping through the snow but it is very good cover, just needs a snow. We were mainly on southside and big dipper today. Went again to summit but the ice and moguls wasn't appealing. Got some happy runs on groomed snow where the elite skiers go round the flags at ruined castle at about 1 when they all packed up and we returned from lunch. I couldn't match the lines they were doing.

My whole family have improved their skiing and confidence from the trip and it's been a privilege spending our week in the mount beauty and falls creek area. Sorry to go on about it, but Windy shelter lunch breaks were the highlights, sunny and relaxed and beautiful.

Definitely feel falls is the most accessible of the big resorts we've been to. Sad not to have gotten on lakeside as that would have opened up more of the terrain on that side. Didn't like the crowds and bustle of wombat and tower chairs whenever I dared to try so avoided all that.

IMG20220714100743.jpg
IMG20220714104537.jpg
IMG20220714104615.jpg
IMG20220714140523.jpg

IMG20220714140557.jpg
Loved reading your reports and glad you have all enjoyed your time at Falls.
Although we have great cover compared to past school holidays, it's a shame we didn't have that bit more for you to experience the maze, the Ys and fully groomed summit.
Normally crowds aren't an issue but this last couple of weeks have been exceptionally busy.
It's great to see the mountain and Mount Beauty for that matter buzzing with activity after the last couple of years.

GobrinIce

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2019
Loved reading your reports and glad you have all enjoyed your time at Falls.
Although we have great cover compared to past school holidays, it's a shame we didn't have that bit more for you to experience the maze, the Ys and fully groomed summit.
Normally crowds aren't an issue but this last couple of weeks have been exceptionally busy.
It's great to see the mountain and Mount Beauty for that matter buzzing with activity after the last couple of years.

Yeah, was bad not getting into the maze and did feel like falls was just a decent snow event away from being in top form but I'm just glad we got as much opportunity as we did. Weather was sensational, plenty of snow. Even though areas were busy, I had very few lines over the other side and it's great for the area, as you say. All up, it's good to leave something until next time. Unfortunately next time will be a year or two away, but having skied for a few years now, I know not to be snobby if there's any snow on the ground.

Thanks to everyone for their advice, made the trip better.

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
I don't know Bright very well but I'm guessing that many suburban streets would be fine. or any area a bit removed from the bars. 3 days should not be a big deal.

Reactions: Slalom
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Slide Sideways

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 2, 2012
Yeah it's quite a price hike from the old deal. Although I believe mountain staff still get the $15 toastie/coffee deal.
So I heard, the person behind the counter was very confused when I asked for the toastie deal, “but you’re not in uniform”
Correct… because … I don’t work here
“That deal is only for staff”
Ok…. So… I guess I’ll just have the toastie AND a coffee
“You’re not in uniform though “

Wow :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: soza and currawong

Slide Sideways

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 2, 2012
7FD2EF74-8AA6-4EFB-AEF4-D0555CAEDEDF.jpeg70E23693-A15E-41FE-9971-1397D3C285C6.jpegA3995ABA-C0DE-4C98-8CB5-51BA937B1E3A.jpeg
You know it’s a great day when you can’t take pictures other than these.
8am Report said 21cm…. Easy ankle to Knee deep depending where you skied/boarded
In some tree areas, knee to waist deep… yep… WAIST deep!!! Another 10cm on the car at 12.00 when we left.
3 vehicles, no chains fitted, although 4wd/AWD all in embarrassing positions against the left side embankment.
Fit chains people, even if it says 2wd only

ADA82673-EF2B-4502-BFD3-5EE32AD8A15C.jpeg

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
So I heard, the person behind the counter was very confused when I asked for the toastie deal, “but you’re not in uniform”
Correct… because … I don’t work here
“That deal is only for staff”
Ok…. So… I guess I’ll just have the toastie AND a coffee
“You’re not in uniform though “

Wow :rolleyes:
It's on their menu FFS (and says it comes with relish)

• Haha
Reactions: Slide Sideways

rowdyflat

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2003
Yackandandah NE Victoria
Interesting that winddrift because it is smaller rounded crystals, it makes quite a good durable low friction chalky surface.
Yesterday because it stayed below minus 3 it lasted.
Sometimes it bonds together by friction and sintering to form satrugi , I spose it depends on the wind speed snow experts could tell us about that ?

Reactions: currawong

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Good weather and snow conditions today skiing the lifts and having a very good first ever Telemark ski lesson.
I have a long way to go to say the least.At least I did not crash unloading from the Drovers’ dream lift or Halley’s Comet lift.
The queue for Halley’s Comet lift this morning was packed.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
SA holidays but queues are OK
Lifts were busy yesterday morning imho especially Halley’s comet
and on Monday I spoke with alpine skier while I was ski touring near the ruined castle area who told me one of the lifts was not working.Another skier asked me yesterday at
the top of Drovers if that lift had a big queue at the bottom because Towers was reportedly packed.

Reactions: GobrinIce

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
July 18th 2022. XC Skiing to Pretty Valley Hut for lunch.Someone has left a lot of junk at the hut and Parks Victoria Rangers have requested via the hut log book that he take it home. It is The Alpine National Park not a personal rubbish storage zone.
This season I am preferring to ski tour out to Mt . Mckay ,Pretty Valley and further if possible.
DSCN2554.JPG

Last edited:

Hully

One of Us
May 6, 2004
Kiewa Valley
Today was the first splitboard trip for the other half after an upgrade this season from snowshoeing outback. Had to be a bit selective as some faces still had a nasty crust so ended up exploring around Rocky knolls. You couldn't have wished for better weather and a perfect introduction to splitboarding
P1200036.JPG
org_photo_6553803_1658281308000.jpg
org_photo_6553829_1658287560000.jpg
IMG_20220720_181052vf3.jpeg
P1200033.JPG
P1200049.JPG
Awesome that the Luffly Lady got out into the backcountry. One of my favourite people in one of my favourite places. Well done crew.

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com

soza

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2013
Tawonga South
Awesome that the Luffly Lady got out into the backcountry. One of my favourite people in one of my favourite places. Well done crew.
Cheers mate. She absolutely loved it and skinning up is so much easier than snowshoeing .... I was struggling to keep up with her!

Reactions: Hully

The Bluff

One of Us
Jun 24, 2004
melbourne
July 18th 2022. XC Skiing to Pretty Valley Hut for lunch. @Moondog55 has left a lot of junk at the hut and Parks Victoria Rangers have requested via the hut log book that he take it home. It is The Alpine National Park not a personal rubbish storage zone.
This season I am preferring to ski tour out to Mt . Mckay ,Pretty Valley and further if possible.
DSCN2554.JPG
what purpose does the sledge serve........you could message him privately first

Majikthise

Sage
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Blue Mts
Great weather today, people about but lines are fine if you avoid towers and Halley’s. The lift maze set up and line marsheling is terrible on both. They need a lesson on how to set up a lift que. Took a lunch tour out to McKay. Found some lovely lines.

20220720_133348.jpg

20220720_123712.jpg
Both Scott's and Towers really suffer with Lakeside being MIA.

Reactions: rowdyflat and soza
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using