Snow Report Falls Creek 2022 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

soza

One of Us
Jun 15, 2013
Tawonga South
Another beautiful morning. Seems to be less people around today. Grommers on international summit are skiing great. Nice to see zipper and short and curly groomed for something different.

20220721_085552.jpg
Zipper is great when groomed. Also love it when rollercoaster gets some treatment.

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Zipper is great when groomed. Also love it when rollercoaster gets some treatment.
chainsaw too

years ago, whenever there was enough snow, they would groom 1 or 2 inter/maze runs each day. so you could always find a mix of groomers, small bumps and bigger bumps. chainsaw when groomed or small bumps was probably my fave. but in later years rarely groomed

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

GobrinIce

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2019
Another beautiful morning. Seems to be less people around today. Grommers on international summit are skiing great. Nice to see zipper and short and curly groomed for something different.

20220721_085552.jpg
Love the photo, don't understand how you could bring yourself to stop and take it.

Reactions: nick12

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania
Quick run down drovers to practice some drills from yesterday. Fog is patchy over this side but will probably clear soon. I hope my feet last a few more hours today. It's usually only a problem on these warmer days when my feet swell a bit. If you see a pack of older Telemark skiers come say hi.

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
Quick run down drovers to practice some drills from yesterday. Fog is patchy over this side but will probably clear soon. I hope my feet last a few more hours today. It's usually only a problem on these warmer days when my feet swell a bit. If you see a pack of older Telemark skiers come say hi.

Hang in there! And have a great day!

Time to spoil yourself & upgrade the boots?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
Cable back on Lakeside Poma and they’re working on it. Additional delay was caused by a Worksafe inspection.

Pomas going back on soon evidently.
Yay! Soft sprng conditions today. 6 degrees at Falls, rather warm. My legs are feeling it from the last two days. Saving the dropping of knees for the nicer sections.
At 3pm Steve Bradbury is speaking at the Frying Pan and spruiking his new beer label, Last Man Standing. There may free beer so I am going to attend . My legs will be knackered by then.
@almontyrat
:emoji_beer:

Sadie

Chk Chk Boom
Ski Pass
Aug 31, 2001
Melbourne
Yay! Soft sprng conditions today. 6 degrees at Falls, rather warm. My legs are feeling it from the last two days. Saving the dropping of knees for the nicer sections.
At 3pm Steve Bradbury is speaking at the Frying Pan and spruiking his new beer label, Last Man Standing. There may free beer so I am going to attend . My legs will be knackered by then.
@almontyrat
Hope you don’t get legless

Reactions: Goski

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
sMelbourne
@almontyrat
Mega jealous. Have fun.

Reactions: Goski

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
He's part owner of the Last Man Standing beer company and its what we're drinking. He's put on a free keg to promote it and he was up for a chat. It's a true Pilsener. I recommend it. It has a lovely persistent flavour and is also very drinkable in quantity. A dangerous combination!
Steve Lee's parents also turned up. Steve Bradbury said he's been mates with Steve Lee for years. The Olympic Force connection would be strong in those two.

soza

One of Us
Jun 15, 2013
Tawonga South
Spent the morning around ruined then when visibility became poor headed over to summit and inter. Gave last hoot a go and very patchy at the bottom as was lower areas of the maze. Nice grooming on summit and very soft spring like snow conditions. Didn't feel too busy but I hear day parking was full again by 1030am. We arrived at 8am and slalom was already full. We left at 1230 and so had a few others parked at gully so hopefully people coming up didn't have to wait too long.
org_photo_6553893_1658626140000.jpg

soza

One of Us
Jun 15, 2013
Tawonga South
Day 25 on snow this season was a
quiet one, even managed to have a few laps of towers without the unbearable crowds.
Almost didn't go up as we had heavy rain down in the valley this morning but the fact that zipper was groomed enticed me up for a few laps
Just as I arrived inter stopped spinning for the day! Not sure what the go is although i did notice a few of the maze trails are closed. On arrival we had snow flurries but it remained unusually warm. On piste was like damp heavy porridge. Off was even worse. I managed 8 runs then called it a day.
IMG_20220726_201218vf3.jpeg

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
He's part owner of the Last Man Standing beer company and its what we're drinking. He's put on a free keg to promote it and he was up for a chat. It's a true Pilsener. I recommend it. It has a lovely persistent flavour and is also very drinkable in quantity. A dangerous combination!
Steve Lee's parents also turned up. Steve Bradbury said he's been mates with Steve Lee for years. The Olympic Force connection would be strong in those two.
pretty sure Steve's dad died some years ago. but his mum is a legend and still alive and kicking and always up for a chat

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
pretty sure Steve's dad died some years ago. but his mum is a legend and still alive and kicking and always up for a chat
My bad, I erroneously assumed the older gent with his mum was his dad.
"When you assume, you make an ASS of U and ME!"

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
No pics - too busy skiing - but today was a good day. Started at 10am outside Cloud 9 after over-sleeping in Mt Beauty.
Missed meeting up with the tele crew @almontyrat is having a fun week with at 10am so I went back over to Ruined and skied with a high schoolmate I reconnected with just a few days ago, and her friend, who is an Oldina Lodge member. A long sentence! Thanks for hanging in there :eek:

Very firm again today. Probably fresh snow after the grooming team had finished but the weather, while threatening at times, was low wind and good visibility most of the day. There are some some dirty snow patches developing around the top of Main Street heading down to Highway 83, otherwise the cover is still good across the mountain.

Skiers right of Ruined Castle was a bit heavy in parts, icy in other parts but still enjoyable. My schoolmate is a lower intermediate so by going further right, the slope and fall line were good for her. I gave her some body position tips which she worked on well for the half dozen runs we did there before and after lunch at Dicky Knees. That made me focus on my body position too. I could see some improvement in her skiing by end of day which was great to see.

Early afternoon we went to Towers where her proficient Alpine skier friend Karen had gone and got tele skis and Scott Excursion she had recently acquired off fxcxbook. While I'm not an expert tele skier yet I was able to give her some fundamental tips. After a few more runs I could see some improvement. I do think good alpine skiers can pick up tele quite quickly.

Coincidentally the 8 year old Liberty Sequence skis she got cheap off Facebook and put tele bindings on were the same model and length as the skis a friendly long- bearded chap I shared the last Towers lift of the day had. Allison and Karen had skied back to their lodge by then.

I'll ski a bit with them on Allison' s last day up here and also see if I can tag along with the @almontyrat 's sociable tele crew for a few runs too.

At 4pm it started raining so I got a bit damp on the ski down to the carpark. Hopefully tomorrow is rain free.

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania
Great day today. I was back skiing with the big group and found my mojo. Multiple runs down highway with linked carving tele turns and well timed pole plants. I even got a "top of class" accolade after one run. Very encouraging after spending the last few days in the remedial group. After many years skiing Aussie boiler plate, I found the firm and fast morning to my liking and just went for it. Great to be skiing ok ish again.

rowdyflat

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2003
Yackandandah NE Victoria
I mean WTF, those messages are a bit unclear and why 143 likes ?
Whats to, like about no parking, it must be mindless bookface people do they get an award for likes ?.
There must be a lot of Asian day snowball throwers or party whores because the lifts at Falls are never that crowded.
The parking is pathetic , its all over the place and all down the road ,the RMB must be idiots.
It doesnt restrict me cos we are early and park at Windy anyway.
A little birdie did tell me they are planning to put a day carpark up near the dam wall but the RMB are so dumb they will prolly sell one of the existing carparks for a condo development.

emkae

A Local
Ski Pass
Nov 6, 1998
Melbourne
A multi storey car park on Lower Slalom might help, along with some kind of pricing incentive for people to get the bus from Mt Beauty

Reactions: Chaeron

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
I mean WTF, those messages are a bit unclear and why 143 likes ?
Whats to, like about no parking, it must be mindless bookface people do they get an award for likes ?.
There must be a lot of Asian day snowball throwers or party whores because the lifts at Falls are never that crowded.
The parking is pathetic , its all over the place and all down the road ,the RMB must be idiots.
It doesnt restrict me cos we are early and park at Windy anyway.
A little birdie did tell me they are planning to put a day carpark up near the dam wall but the RMB are so dumb they will prolly sell one of the existing carparks for a condo development.
Well as from October (I think?) the RMB will be out of business and all resorts will be run from a central bureaucracy in Melbourne.

Sounds like a great idea, what could possibly go wrong? :rolleyes:

(For younger people or those with short memories, the last time they tried this it was an truly massive disaster for all resorts.)

N0frilz

Addicted
Jul 13, 2015
around
Did I miss the memo to drive like a muppet?

What an example car holds up cars with a queue behind, catches group in front then passes on double yellows when there’s a passing lane a few corners away.

Aussie drivers are the worst at giving a shit towards other road users.

Last edited:

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Well as from October (I think?) the RMB will be out of business and all resorts will be run from a central bureaucracy in Melbourne.

Sounds like a great idea, what could possibly go wrong? :rolleyes:

(For younger people or those with short memories, the last time they tried this it was an truly massive disaster for all resorts.)
I am certainly not enthusiastic about the change but not as bleak as you paint it.

I think initially it will be pretty much BAU. I think HQ will be in/close to a resort, not in melb. IIRC all staff except CEOs keep their jobs, with no requirement to relocate. I guess covid has also changed the game wrt having to have all staff in the same location.

Reactions: nezumi

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
I am certainly not enthusiastic about the change but not as bleak as you paint it.

I think initially it will be pretty much BAU. I think HQ will be in/close to a resort, not in melb. IIRC all staff except CEOs keep their jobs, with no requirement to relocate. I guess covid has also changed the game wrt having to have all staff in the same location.
I hope you're right. But the individual RMBs have existed just a bit longer than the time most politicians stay in state parliament. So when some bright spark suggested ' why don't we bring all alpine resorts under one administration', where was probably no one in the governing party who could remember what an epic disaster the old ARC was. I just hope there is a senior person in the new bureucracy who remembers the many, many different ways the ARC screwed up and can take steps to avoid repeating at least some of them.

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
I hope you're right. But the individual RMBs have existed just a bit longer than the time most politicians stay in state parliament. So when some bright spark suggested ' why don't we bring all alpine resorts under one administration', where was probably no one in the governing party who could remember what an epic disaster the old ARC was. I just hope there is a senior person in the new bureucracy who remembers the many, many different ways the ARC screwed up and can take steps to avoid repeating at least some of them.
it will be interesting who the new chair and ceo are. that will probably be a big influence on how good/bad the change is. plenty of scope for a major fuckup but also a possibility of it being not too awful.

In my previous corporate life I've tended to the opinion that organisations succeed in spite of their structures, not because of them. that said, a bad structure can put you at a significant disadvantage

there does at least seem to be recognition that the resorts are not clones but have their own characteristics and challenges and the new structure has to respect that.

I still think it is a bad move

N0frilz

Addicted
Jul 13, 2015
around
a few weeks ago but it was funny because he got nowhere and stayed 2 cars ahead the whole way up.
Exact same thing happened today to the muppet that passed on the double yellows.

Be nice if people respected other road users and worked together with each.

68skier

Hard Yards
May 29, 2017
I had someone pass me on the inside lane of the doubles.
Ok, ...so yes, rushing to get past someone is sometimes/most times futile....but I would suggest that if someone passes you on the left in double lanes then it is you that is in the wrong for not being in the left lane...even if there is a a convoy of vehicles, I always stay in the left lane to allow those wanting to increase their position in line by 2 vehicles the opportunity

Rick Ross Da Boss

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 19, 2017
Ok, ...so yes, rushing to get past someone is sometimes/most times futile....but I would suggest that if someone passes you on the left in double lanes then it is you that is in the wrong for not being in the left lane...even if there is a a convoy of vehicles, I always stay in the left lane to allow those wanting to increase their position in line by 2 vehicles the opportunity
If a driver is doing the speed limit then I see no reason why they should move to the left.

Reactions: rowdyflat

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania
If a driver is doing the speed limit then I see no reason why they should move to the left.
If the driver has been doing considerably less than the speed limit for the preceding 15 km and there are 10+ cars stuck behind him/her then he/she should show some courtesy, pull over left and let the other vehicles past. It's called courtesy. Does not excuse Mazda driver from undertaking though...

Rick Ross Da Boss

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 19, 2017
If the driver has been doing considerably less than the speed limit for the preceding 15 km and there are 10+ cars stuck behind him/her then he/she should show some courtesy, pull over left and let the other vehicles past. It's called courtesy. Does not excuse Mazda driver from undertaking though...
Obviously…
I was referring to the assumption that because a driver got passed in the left lane that they where driving slow.
I find It no different then the commute in town, plenty of flogs running late for work ducting and weaving to save a second or two here and there

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using