Snow Report Falls Creek 2022 - Trip Reports, Pics & Conditions

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
If a driver is doing the speed limit then I see no reason why they should move to the left.
on a twisty mountain rd, "doing the speed limit" is a pretty vague measure. it's often more about how soon and how much you brake rather than speed on the straight bits. if you have grown a tail and there are opportunities to pull over, be courteous rather a selfish dick

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

soza

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2013
Tawonga South
Bit of a delay getting all the lifts cranking this morning but viability wasn't up to much so didn't really matter. Nice little top up from yesterday but remained damp and heavy in the fog. Spent the day following the tree lines, was nice to be able to blast down last hoot again. Hard to believe village trails were better the first week of June than they are now in August!
Quite busy, noticeable when only a few lifts running to start with. Day parking full at slalom for 0840 so ended up at windy. Cafe not open again so with a rumbling tummy and need for caffeine I called it and headed home around 1pm. Looks like it cleared not long after and I imagine it would have been a nice afternoon.
Couple of pics....
IMG_20220802_113317.jpg
IMG_20220802_114007.jpg
IMG_20220802_090306.jpg

emkae

A Local
Ski Pass
Nov 6, 1998
Melbourne
Yes from about 2ish onwards the fog / cloud lifted and we had beautiful sunshine and quite a bit of blue sky

Today was much less chilly as the wind eased off compared to yesterday

However, let’s see what tomorrow brings…

Reactions: Snowy Joey and soza

Beerman

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 15, 2015
Brisvegas
Seems to be a bit of driving angst on here.
I find the lack of signage or poor positioning of signage to be the real issue here. As a seldom visitor to Falls, we don’t know where the pull over bays are until you are right on top of them and therefore no chance to pull over.
I bet signage in the correct spot with plenty of notice will fix the vast amount of issues in this area.
It’s easy to bitch, but action is what’s really required.
As I live in Qld, I’ll leave that to the locals to sort

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
The pullover bays have prominent pre-emptive signs advising they are coming up in 300m or 1km.
If there are several or more than several cars following, the slow driver needs to stop, not just slow down in the slow lane, until all have passed. Some don't do that so only one or two cars make it past. The circus begins again.

A slower driver needs the ability to recognise they are behind the pace of the car(s) behind them and then should actively look for a spot to pull over. Doesn't have to be a designated slow vehicle lane either. There are other safe opportunities along the road.

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
Looks like a whiteout on the cams. I see that the Cedarwood balcony snow hasn't been rained away yet. This is encouraging. It must not yet be pouring rain.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

N0frilz

Addicted
Jul 13, 2015
around
I find the lack of signage or poor positioning of signage to be the real issue here. As a seldom visitor to Falls, we don’t know where the pull over bays are until you are right on top of them and therefore no chance to pull over.
I bet signage in the correct spot with plenty of notice will fix the vast amount of issues in this area.

The problem isn’t the signage, the problem is Australian drivers have little respect for other road users.

The pull in bays are not perfect some one might might one but not all of them. Isn’t it pretty obvious if you have a queue of cars behind you pull over and let the others past? Been stuck in a queue from Gully to past Tawonga is a joke.

Nothing worse than driving a manual car and been stuck in a queue and having to crunch down into first gear to accelerate out of the corners.

Nothing surprises me at the snow in aus the other day at falls two groups asked me where the snow play was, when questioned both didn’t have snow chains or a resort entry passes as they forgot.

Reactions: GobrinIce

snowl

Hard Yards
Mar 31, 2020
I've seen people who actively slow down (brake lights on) in the right lane on the parts of the road that are two lane. There's really no hope on the roads and you just need to pray you got lucky that day

Slide Sideways

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 2, 2012
The road is “ok” on the way up…. Sometimes

It does my head in when cars don’t pull over…. There are 3 mirrors on a car, ignores the big blue signage that sticks out like dogs balls, the vehicle who slows for every corner, then tramps it up every straight to throw the anchor out again at the next corner is probably my least favourite on the drive up.
It’s when a convoy of friends drive together is the main issue, no one will use the slow lane as they may get lost in the queue.

On the way down is putrid, only a couple of opportunities to pull over, again, that car that speeds up on the flats and straights, will ride the brake on every single corner, get a convoy of friends in multiple vehicles, it’s a very frustrating drive back to Mt Beauty

Reactions: Chaeron

Seth

I am figure skating
Ski Pass
Jun 6, 2000
The Higher Ground
No it’s nothing to do with signage and all about being aware of your surroundings, look ahead, checking your mirrors and making adult decisions.

Most people can’t do that.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Musgrove

One of Us
Apr 22, 2004
Canberra
Just driving back to CBR after a few days of pure pleasure in Falls. Friday afternoon was a bit wet but the snow had held up well after the rain. Saturday was fantastic with quite a bit of fresh snow around. Sunday Monday and this morning were just plain fun lapping groomers with happy skiers under mostly blue skies.
It’s hard to believe that the same company runs the lifts here as at Perisher. Staff are so much nicer and welcoming. Always doing the small extra things to make the visit more enjoyable. Like chalk and cheese. It’s a reflection on the company not the staff. Happy staff at Falls.

C2275FDC-9708-4DBC-8EAF-D267E62C232C.jpeg

7514BBF2-1416-4E6F-98D7-BC3CFD5F857F.jpeg

14E8D599-0454-4863-B70E-BBC2FE8EF030.jpeg

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania
Best day on tele ever for me today, lapping it up in the morning with @dossa5 trying unsuccessfully to keep up with him. We teamed up with a lovely paramedic who was up for the day who was teleing very well given a ten year break. The afternoon I spent with a ski patrol mate from Tassie on his alpines and I had no trouble matching him run for run on my teles. Snow firm and fast all day except wombats which was an afternoon slush fest. Picks of the day, lakeside, father Foster's, south side, Scott's skiers right and even shadow ridge.

Pisteoff

Hard Yards
Jun 26, 2016
Best day on tele ever for me today, lapping it up in the morning with @dossa5 trying unsuccessfully to keep up with him. We teamed up with a lovely paramedic who was up for the day who was teleing very well given a ten year break. The afternoon I spent with a ski patrol mate from Tassie on his alpines and I had no trouble matching him run for run on my teles. Snow firm and fast all day except wombats which was an afternoon slush fest. Picks of the day, lakeside, father Foster's, south side, Scott's skiers right and even shadow ridge.
Yep, Sun Valley was all really good. In contrast, the village bowl has only one run groomed and off piste was very firm with chunks of ice. Has Falls forgotten about upper intermediate/advanced skiers?

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Yep, Sun Valley was all really good. In contrast, the village bowl has only one run groomed and off piste was very firm with chunks of ice. Has Falls forgotten about upper intermediate/advanced skiers?
just guessing, but it could be to do with whether the grooming would do more harm than good.
basically no snowmaking there so less to play with. and grooming wet snow is not good for the snow pack

Musgrove

One of Us
Apr 22, 2004
Canberra

Three runs were groomed on Monday morning off Summit chair. The Slot and Ouste Wand were still good to go yesterday, sharp edges were handy though.

Reactions: Slide Sideways

CBR

Hard Yards
Aug 28, 2012
Melbs
First and last day at Falls on this trip (mostly Hotham). Staying on snow at Cedarpoint, which was a new and interesting experience. After a day of sleet and then three days of slush at Hotham, going down Scotty’s, Ruined Castle and South Face this morning was an absolute delight. 10/10. Bloody loved it even when the wind kicked up. Everything over that side of the mountain was awesome actually, even the blues full of learners. One exception was Blue Brumby. The Falls Creek app promised ramen would be on offer there. The app was full of lies.

Signage at the Bowl runs could be better, accidentally went down Apres Vous when intending to scout out the area via Skyline, but no problem. Then we took the blue sign for Zipper at its word and proceeded to WTF all the way down. Do not recommend. Otherwise, being able to ski essentially to your door was absolutely awesome. No stuffing around with buses. Ski off, boots on dryer, beer in hand in 5 mins flat. Thumbs up.

I think, on balance, I’d be happy to come back here especially for days like today around the Castle chair. But being my first skiing experience in Vic since moving here 7 years ago, I can’t help but comparing to my home mountain Perisher, and boy does Falls charge like a wounded bull for everything. Carpark permit. Resort access fee. The essentially compulsory oversnow accom transfer fee they don’t tell you about when booking. And yes, you do have a greater chance to stay on snow, but boy do you pay for it. It’s definitely a different experience !

EDIT oh one thing I will say, Frying Pan had the best damned steak I’ve ever seen within cooee of a snowy hill. Perfectly done and tbh not outrageously priced considering what you pay for a scotch fillet down at my local in Collingwood. Hotham had good food too. Trying Somewhere Else tonight, but I think I can say Victorian slopes win for food options !

skimax

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2000
Melbourne Australia
First and last day at Falls on this trip (mostly Hotham). Staying on snow at Cedarpoint, which was a new and interesting experience. After a day of sleet and then three days of slush at Hotham, going down Scotty’s, Ruined Castle and South Face this morning was an absolute delight. 10/10. Bloody loved it even when the wind kicked up. Everything over that side of the mountain was awesome actually, even the blues full of learners. One exception was Blue Brumby. The Falls Creek app promised ramen would be on offer there. The app was full of lies.

Signage at the Bowl runs could be better, accidentally went down Apres Vous when intending to scout out the area via Skyline, but no problem. Then we took the blue sign for Zipper at its word and proceeded to WTF all the way down. Do not recommend. Otherwise, being able to ski essentially to your door was absolutely awesome. No stuffing around with buses. Ski off, boots on dryer, beer in hand in 5 mins flat. Thumbs up.

I think, on balance, I’d be happy to come back here especially for days like today around the Castle chair. But being my first skiing experience in Vic since moving here 7 years ago, I can’t help but comparing to my home mountain Perisher, and boy does Falls charge like a wounded bull for everything. Carpark permit. Resort access fee. The essentially compulsory oversnow accom transfer fee they don’t tell you about when booking. And yes, you do have a greater chance to stay on snow, but boy do you pay for it. It’s definitely a different experience !

EDIT oh one thing I will say, Frying Pan had the best damned steak I’ve ever seen within cooee of a snowy hill. Perfectly done and tbh not outrageously priced considering what you pay for a scotch fillet down at my local in Collingwood. Hotham had good food too. Trying Somewhere Else tonight, but I think I can say Victorian slopes win for food options !
Great report. When the snow gets average in particular Falls kills Hotham. Next time if you can get accommodation like Les Chalet etc that you can avoid oversnow to get to ;) . Car parking ain't cheap etc no real avoiding that other than a bus trip up from the bottom but I suspect it works out the same cost wise

Reactions: currawong

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Great report. When the snow gets average in particular Falls kills Hotham. Next time if you can get accommodation like Les Chalet etc that you can avoid oversnow to get to ;) . Car parking ain't cheap etc no real avoiding that other than a bus trip up from the bottom but I suspect it works out the same cost wise
in many years, late season FC is the go in Vic. south facing runs that don't go too low (yes that means short too) hold snow best. sometimes hotham or buller close before FC but FC can hold on till the end.

igor

Hard Yards
Apr 22, 2005
melbourne
I've been mainly skiing Hotham in the last 10y and when younger did lots of day trips to Buller especially when snow was good. No kids then so it was all good and fun.

We did a spur of the moment trip to Falls during the school holidays. I dreaded the fact it was the holidays but we had the best time. With two girls 6&8 first time on skis, they got comfortable quickly to go down greens and some blues. Falls is much more accessible and easier to negotiate than Hotham. No Bus, yes accommodation transfer sucks at falls. But the south side has wide open blue runs which are perfect for learning or some quick carving. Snow keeps in much better condition than Hotham. On Hotham, most runs below the road are a heavy mushy mess after a few hours. And the best runs on Hotham are in Heavenly v. that upper part anyway. Hotham is no place for beginners. 2 green runs and narrow blues, except the Drift which can be closed often in low visibility.

With kids, you certainly look at things differently and in that respect Falls gets a big + from me.
I can't wait to get up to Falls again, hopefully in early September.

LDJ

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2017
Next time if you can get accommodation like Les Chalet etc that you can avoid oversnow to get to ;)
first time in FC this Sunday staying at pretty valley hotel. Can I wheel/carry my ski bag to pretty valley hotel from transport terminal. Looks doable on Google? Really dislike waiting and paying for oversnow when could have easily walked. Ie just walked up to sundeck at Perisher with gear and beat oversnow from tube terminal

Musgrove

One of Us
Apr 22, 2004
Canberra
Interesting comments on the cost of the accommodation transfer at Falls. Its actually not that expensive when compared to the oversnow at Perisher. We pay $32 return at Perisher, but it can be as much as $60, it is $45 at Falls. The Falls transfer vehicles are modern, clean and you feel safe in them unlike the WWII vintage vehicles used in Perisher. If you are fit and organised it would be easy to walk to most accommodation in Falls but not so much in Perisher.
The cost of ski in ski out..........

Musgrove

One of Us
Apr 22, 2004
Canberra
first time in FC this Sunday staying at pretty valley hotel. Can I wheel/carry my ski bag to pretty valley hotel from transport terminal. Looks doable on Google? Really dislike waiting and paying for oversnow when could have easily walked. Ie just walked up to sundeck at Perisher with gear and beat oversnow from tube terminal
If its the Pretty Valley Alpine Lodge on google then I think that's a very easy walk.

Reactions: LDJ

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
yes

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
Conditions today are heavy going. Lots of people are falling over but onto a soft forgiving surface. Visibility was poor this morning. It is improving quickly now at 11.30am and there are even some blue patches of sky appearing.
It's mild at about 2 degrees. Overnight temp hovered around zero up top, not cold enough for freezing the fresh wet overnight snow or for grooming. Father Foster's has been fun to go almost straight down. Off piste has gabout 20cm deep gluggy snow, best for competent people with fat skis or snowboards.
Tele skiing is a good workout today. The wind has dropped to a light breeze which is great and there has been no rain this morning :) Now that I can see my way down Scott's we will do fine laps there then get some lunch.

Slide Sideways

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 2, 2012
11.25 update
Cloudy conditions led to sunny outbreaks, snow firm to start with, feels humid, snow has become very mushy and wet.
Scott’s in the AM was slick and fast, much sharp edges required.
South face summit and Slot groomed :thumbs: Runs of the morning.

Inter is RUNNING!!! Getting there via skyline is VW combi sized bumps!!! Didn’t venture into the maze area.
Been a Fun morning :thumbs:
Bob sugar toasties are still not Upto Barry’s elk standard…. Filling non the less

1FE5AD21-AEEE-47FC-8814-386D33E587A6.jpeg

3FDC872F-FEE1-43D6-84AD-065FB046A892.jpeg

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
We went touring today to escape the madding crowds. We went out to Edmonson's hut where there were thirteen tents of the RMIT outdoors club. They arrived at midnight last night then skied and snow-shoed out to the hut from 1am arriving 7am. They had a low wind full moon night. Great experience for them.

My partner and I skied with a skating friend from Windy Corner via Heaphy Spur then back via Watched Creek. About 7 hours skiing time including lunch in the sun.

We've been waiting for a finer day with decent snow conditions to go touring and today was the day.

In the morning the snow was lovely and dry. We went mostly off- track then stuck to the groomed trails on the way back with decreasing visibility. The snow softened and it was slow after midday. Another good workout!

Overall, we had a great day out in the backcountry.

Back to yo-yo skiing tomorrow morning then the drive back to the Big Smoke.

IMG_20220813_153859.jpg

IMG_20220813_134523.jpg

IMG_20220813_132243.jpg

IMG_20220813_110811.jpg

IMG_20220813_110613.jpg

IMG_20220813_190525.jpg

soza

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2013
Tawonga South
Today was a nice one after yesterday's snow although a few I talked too on the lift were saying the visibility was really bad and yesterday afternoon was a bit of a wash out.
On the drive up you could see the snow level was around orbit corner. Road all clear so no need for chains and plenty of space at gully around 8:45 when i arrived.
Had a few little flurries in the morning, remained fairly warm but no r**n.
Managed to get one of the first chairs up ruined so ticked off st elmos slide just as the sun broke through. Then headed back to international and spent the rest of my morning in the maze. Probably the best i have had the maze this season.
IMG_20220816_200217vf3.jpeg
IMG_20220816_200550vf3.jpeg
IMG_20220816_200659vf3.jpeg

dodgydamo

Hard Yards
Sep 18, 2017
If its the Pretty Valley Alpine Lodge on google then I think that's a very easy walk.
Not only that but Barry used to have a pink complimentary oversnow for guests anyway… it’s been a few years for me but expect Pretty Valley still does this? Send them an email

soza

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2013
Tawonga South
Lovely blue skies and great snow on and off the groomers.
Had the morning following the Mount Beauty school kids around the summit and inter. Supervising a bunch of expert skiers just means trying to keep up most of the time. The kids love it, not often they all get to hang out together on the slopes.
The afternoon was spent off piste and that softened up nicely with spring like conditions.
org_photo_6554189_1660712296000.jpg

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using