Falls Creek accomodation opinions

joling

Hard Yards
Apr 14, 2011
Hi all,

I am quite new to Falls Creek, stayed at Cedarwood once but saw that there are cheaper options for family of 2 adults and 2 children from Mountain Multi service. Wonder if anyone can give me any reviews if they had stayed in the below accomodations before?

- Currawong 13
- Mini 12
- Les Chalet 25
- Edelweiss 5

Thanks for reading my post and for any inputs.

Apresski

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
My kids stayed in Currawong13 once, opposite the Primary school, not a bad position. How old are your kids, because, from memory, the second bedroom is a mezzanine, with a steep ladder up to it.
It also backs onto the road that goes down to The Man, can be a bit noisy after midnight.

The Mini flats are very tight, but adequate. If your kids are new to skiing could be a bit of a challenge for them to get home or a lot of walking uphill.

Have you thought about the Bowl area, Snowski is pretty reasonable

Peak season

Snow Ski Apartments 2013 Rates
Peak Season: 28th July - 22nd August
1 bedroom, 4 share Snow Ski Apartments 2013 Rates
Peak Season: 28th July - 22nd August

1 Bedroom 4 Share Standard 7 nights
$2300
2 bedroom, 4 share
$2552

joling

Hard Yards
Apr 14, 2011
Hi Apresski,

Kids are 5 and 9. Is the place clean? Saw on another forum that it is dodgy. But don't really know what the person mean.

prcoy

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Aug 3, 2010
Point Leo, Australia
Hi, I stayed in Mini 12 for a season 9 years ago, family of 4, It was a bit shabby then but I suppose it may have been done up since. I saw it a week ago and it still looks the same from the outside.
Its a very narrow lounge/ kitchen area, the master bedroom upstairs was freezing, huge windows but only single glazed. Kids upstairs bedroom was great.
Excellent view, about a 20m uphill climb from parallel street or you can ski directly in off the aqueduct (once it snows this weekend) generally pretty good position, but I think it should be priced more economically than most.

smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

joling

Hard Yards
Apr 14, 2011
Was offered Alyeska 2 too. Its supposed to be near village bowl. But thought that might be a bit far from Falls Express as thinking of sending kids up to Ski school every morning. Would be a mad dash towards Shalom plaza if missed the bus timing.

The owner seemed to have done up Mini12 2years ago. Does not look too bad (from the pics that Mountainmultiservices sent me). Currawong 13 looks old but that is hubby's 1st choice hence asking for opinions here.

joling

Hard Yards
Apr 14, 2011
Prcoy, unfortunately, none of us can ski yet...so most likely will be lugging ourselves and the kids up the slopes everyday
frown.gif

Is Aquaduct a beginner slope?

markm

Hard Yards
May 15, 2013
I DO BELIEVE THE AQUADUCT IS JUST THAT..........AN AQUADUCT. NOT RECOMMENDED FOR BEGINNERS OR EXPERTS ALIKE

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
The aqueduct is indeed an aqueduct, not a ski slope. There is a path along it where you can walk or xc ski, but it won't help you get to/from slalom st.

If you have never skied before, les Chalets is a very good location, but I know nothing about the particular unit. Mini flats would be a pain if you are all beginners. Alyeska would mean taking the shuttle the first 3 days, then you could expect to ski home and probably to use Eagle chair to get to ski school

weerab

One of Us
Jul 13, 2009
Beautiful Altona Victoria
I use the aqueduct track to ski from Feathertop lodge to the Nordic bowl. it,s a metre wide track alongside the aqueduct so it,s pretty much level, no use to Alpine skiers at all.

Hully

One of Us
May 6, 2004
Kiewa Valley
The track along the aquaduct is great for accessing to the rear of the high lodges on Parallel and Schuss streets. An easy skate for Alpine skiers. Snowboarders....if you are going to take your board off and boot it just head to bowl etc and walk the road.

Hully

One of Us
May 6, 2004
Kiewa Valley
Yeah, nothing on it when I was up on it yesterday....a great walking track out of the wind for those looking for something to do with lifts on windhold.

wannaski

One of Us
May 28, 2005
joling said:
Hi all,

I am quite new to Falls Creek, stayed at Cedarwood once but saw that there are cheaper options for family of 2 adults and 2 children from Mountain Multi service. Wonder if anyone can give me any reviews if they had stayed in the below accomodations before?

- Currawong 13
- Mini 12
- Les Chalet 25
- Edelweiss 5

Thanks for reading my post and for any inputs.
Haven't stayed in Les Chalet 25 before however we have stayed in others in both the front & back building over the years and I have found the guys at mountain multiservice very happy to give honest opinions on the apartments. Some are flashier / some are cheaper.
From memory 25 is a studio which looks ok - but doesn't have a view ! It is a great spot though especially if there is low snow which hopefully won't be the case for you. We also have a 5 & 9 year old and it is very handy to the home trails & for unloading the car -I really love staying on this part of the village & so don't mind really how flashy the apartment is as long as it's clean etc.

Karicta

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 9, 2011
joling said:
Was offered Alyeska 2 too. Its supposed to be near village bowl. But thought that might be a bit far from Falls Express as thinking of sending kids up to Ski school every morning. Would be a mad dash towards Shalom plaza if missed the bus timing.

The owner seemed to have done up Mini12 2years ago. Does not look too bad (from the pics that Mountainmultiservices sent me). Currawong 13 looks old but that is hubby's 1st choice hence asking for opinions here.

I use MMS regularly, but havent stayed in any of those.

Those I have stayed in have always been clean, and as posted above, the boys at MMS will give you a good appraisal if you call or email and ask.

I am yet to find better value, publicly available accom on the mountain...

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
The other way to get to Slalom plaza from the bowl is get Gully chair down to the road, then get the road shuttle up to Slalom Plaza. It's a bit of a nuisance but probably quicker/more reliable for getting to ski school on time than the village shuttle.

I haven't been in Alyeska 2 but I know Alyeska 3 is really nice

Ian D

Pool Room
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Newcastle
ski.com.au
joling said:
Was offered Alyeska 2 too. Its supposed to be near village bowl.

If in Village Bowl and kids are 5 & 9 then it would only be the 2nd day (or at worst 3rd) that you would just go up Eagle chair and ski across. If you guys are anything other than rank beginner then you could definitely do it on your 2nd day, if you are rank beginner so can't offer assistance then maybe 3rd day.

I took my 3yo up that way on her 2nd day and home on the bowl home trail as well. She needed some assistance but by the 3rd day that was mostly about having fun (the assistance). Now (at 10) she cruises it without thinking.

First couple of days you can shuttle down from the bowl or gully chair down, shuttle up car park and express chair up to ski school - that is what we did first day.

Depends as much on your confidence as anything however.

TinkyH23

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2008
Macedon Ranges, Victoria
Stayed at Currawong 13 a few years ago and found it to be clean, reasonably modern and well-maintained.

As already mentioned Currawong 13 has a mezzanine 2nd bedroom accessed by narrow old wooden steps. It does have a hand rail though. Our 3 boys stayed up there when they were 12, 14 and 17. The low roof was a nuisance for them but you shouldn't have an issue with the ages of your children. (so long as you think they will be alright with the stairs.)
The living area in Currawong 13 is on the small side and there is not much of a view from the little balcony but it is a great little unit for 4 IMO. Ski or walk down to Falls Creek Express at the start of every day with ease.

We used to stay regularly at Les Chalets apartments but found them to be overpriced in recent years, (for their age anyway). But you can't beat them for convenience with arrival and departure, excellent ski in/ski out, best access to Falls Creek Express. The 2 bedroom apartments are also reasonably spacious.

Apresski

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Ian D said:
joling said:
Was offered Alyeska 2 too. Its supposed to be near village bowl.

If in Village Bowl and kids are 5 & 9 then it would only be the 2nd day (or at worst 3rd) that you would just go up Eagle chair and ski across. If you guys are anything other than rank beginner then you could definitely do it on your 2nd day, if you are rank beginner so can't offer assistance then maybe 3rd day.

I took my 3yo up that way on her 2nd day and home on the bowl home trail as well. She needed some assistance but by the 3rd day that was mostly about having fun (the assistance). Now (at 10) she cruises it without thinking.

First couple of days you can shuttle down from the bowl or gully chair down, shuttle up car park and express chair up to ski school - that is what we did first day.

Depends as much on your confidence as anything however.

Before Falls Creek Express was built (previously called Halley's Comet and Bilia Bullet), the only access over to Sun Valley for beginners was via the Eagle chair and home again via the Home Trail. Children aged 7 and 9 will make very fast progress if you put them into ski school. It ain't cheap, but will enhance both their performance and their enjoyment. You will find that they will be able to cope with getting from the top of the Eagle chair, via the poma lift in the Playground, by day 2 if they attend ski school.

qwill

not in the bunker
Ski Pass
Jun 18, 2010
queensland
we used st trinians last year, ski in/out even for the beginners, also good access to car park and gully lift

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

weerab

One of Us
Jul 13, 2009
Beautiful Altona Victoria
I just had a week at Feathertop lodge in Parallel street. This is my third year in a row and I've been really happy with it. it's advertised as budget accomodation so don't expect anything too fancy, but the bar/ restaurant/ lounge area has a great vibe and the food is top notch.

The owners/managers are down to earth country blokes (albeit from the other side of the border!) and very friendly. Hughie and his son James played guitar and flute while we had dinner for a few nights last week. Very romantic, pity I was by myself. I think Currawong suggested Feathertop a couple of years back, thanks.

I shared the oversnow with an Irish family on the way down yesterday and they couldn't stop raving about Koki where they had spent the last week in a self catering apartment. Once again, great service from friendly staff who couldn't do enough for them. Some of the staff were even there to wave them off!

So a plug for Feathertop amd Koki, friendly staff can make a big difference.

ausi ski bum

A Local
Jan 1, 1970
Near Cootamundra NSW
- Currawong 13 - Not a bad location and reasonable apartment as well, I like this set of apartments as its very central and an easy walk to and from the lifts when there is no snow on the roads.

- Mini 12 - Never been sold on the lay out of these, not so easy to get to either at the top of the town, OK if your a good skier and can use the Aquaduct and tank trails.

- Les Chalet 25 - Close to lifts, easy access to car park etc but since Quay West got built you lost a lot of the view down the valley.

- Edelweiss 5 I know 1 & 2 but not 5, not a bad location if you want quiet

Mountain Multiservice do offer a good alternative to the commercial options.

ausi ski bum

A Local
Jan 1, 1970
Near Cootamundra NSW
weerab said:
I just had a week at Feathertop lodge in Parallel street. This is my third year in a row and I've been really happy with it. it's advertised as budget accomodation so don't expect anything too fancy, but the bar/ restaurant/ lounge area has a great vibe and the food is top notch.

The owners/managers are down to earth country blokes (albeit from the other side of the border!) and very friendly. Hughie and his son James played guitar and flute while we had dinner for a few nights last week. Very romantic, pity I was by myself. I think Currawong suggested Feathertop a couple of years back, thanks.

I shared the oversnow with an Irish family on the way down yesterday and they couldn't stop raving about Koki where they had spent the last week in a self catering apartment. Once again, great service from friendly staff who couldn't do enough for them. Some of the staff were even there to wave them off!

So a plug for Feathertop amd Koki, friendly staff can make a big difference.

I do like Koki but I really do miss my good friend Siggy, not the same without him.

joling

Hard Yards
Apr 14, 2011
Thanks guys for all the information. I have booked les chalet. Hopefully it is a good choice. Now I need to go about finding out how to unload on the day of arrival and also arranging of lessons and rental.

Thanks again
smile.gif

wannaski

One of Us
May 28, 2005
If you booked through mountain MS they will arrange white space deals for you if you ski for 3 or more consecutive days ,plus they let you know about unloading your car .You just park outside the gates & trek your gear up & then move your car into overnight car park .

Karicta

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 9, 2011
joling said:
Thanks guys for all the information. I have booked les chalet. Hopefully it is a good choice. Now I need to go about finding out how to unload on the day of arrival and also arranging of lessons and rental.

Thanks again
smile.gif

If you have a stack of gear and kids, use the oversnow - bit expensive but well worth it in your situation

Unload the car (there is really only one place to do this and you will be directed there at arrival, one of you will then go park car whilst the other does the following..), buy ticket for oversnow - tip, think about 1 adult only taking the oversnow, perhaps kids, or one of if they are not capable of the walk to your accom, they are not normally too strict on the baggage limits, but often better paying for extra bags than extra people...

The oversnow will, of course drop all your stuff just outside your accom, normally there is a bit of a queue fo the oversnow, so often the walkers, who set off straight away, will get there at the same time

If you have time when you get there, arrange gear hire etc the arvo you arrive, they won't charge you for that day and it's better than losing time the next morning

Lessons are norm best bought with your lift ticket/s, I think you should be able to buy the next day's and/or packages the day before too.... If you simply use one of the 'central snowsports' - located many places on the mountain, you can do all rental/lift/lesson in one purchase... Check the falls creek website for locations and different packages available

Make sure you're all dry and warm, and

Most importantly,

Enjoy!

emkae

A Local
Ski Pass
Nov 6, 1998
Melbourne
if you are staying at les chalets, then it is possible to drive past the oversnow terminal and turn right up near the bottom of falls express chair. you can park your car at the gate and walk to the apartment (depends of course on which les chalets building you are in)

also, in les chalets, there is no lift and depending on which apartment you have bookd, you will soon get a good workout going up and down the stairs
smile.gif

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
wannaski said:
If you booked through mountain MS they will arrange white space deals for you if you ski for 3 or more consecutive days ,plus they let you know about unloading your car .You just park outside the gates & trek your gear up & then move your car into overnight car park .

This year it may be cheaper to book online yourself. There are good discounts for buying in advance - some accom places were pretty pissed off that the lift co is undercutting the deals they could offer

currawong

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Karicta said:
joling said:

Thanks again
smile.gif

If you have a stack of gear and kids, use the oversnow - bit expensive but well worth it in your situation
True for many people, but really not applicable for les chalets. So close to where you can unload near redort mgt building.

wannaski

One of Us
May 28, 2005
currawong said:
wannaski said:

This year it may be cheaper to book online yourself. There are good discounts for buying in advance - some accom places were pretty pissed off that the lift co is undercutting the deals they could offer

Good to know Curra - I will look into that myself
thumbsup.gif

Hully

One of Us
May 6, 2004
Kiewa Valley
wannaski said:
currawong said:
wannaski said:

thumbsup.gif

Not too sure how old your kids are Wannaski but have you seen the Falls Creek Mum's Ski for Free offer? One of the best offers I have seen for a long time. Check it out here http://www.skifalls.com.au/MumSkisFree

TinkyH23

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2008
Macedon Ranges, Victoria
Yes. Unload at resort management building. Not far to walk at all.
I think Les Chalets also have a sled type thing you can drag all your gear up on. ???
We only found out about it after years of staying there.
laugh.gif

wannaski

One of Us
May 28, 2005
Hully said:
wannaski said:
currawong said:
wannaski said:

thumbsup.gif

Not too sure how old your kids are Wannaski but have you seen the Falls Creek Mum's Ski for Free offer? One of the best offers I have seen for a long time. Check it out here http://www.skifalls.com.au/MumSkisFree

Yeah thanks Hully saw that but we won't be at Falls till Sept and I think I read that is only for August . Just had a look and I think for us the whitespace is still better with the 50 % off all our skiing .

wannaski

One of Us
May 28, 2005
TinkyH23 said:
Yes. Unload at resort management building. Not far to walk at all.
I think Les Chalets also have a sled type thing you can drag all your gear up on. ???
We only found out about it after years of staying there.
laugh.gif

That's too funny ! yeah it's like a giant toboggan - we learnt not to load it up too much coz it was a bugger to drag up the hill
laugh.gif

Hully

One of Us
May 6, 2004
Kiewa Valley
joling said:

Thanks again
smile.gif

Make sure that while in Falls and staying at Les Chalet's place that you take the time to find out more about the legend of the man Les Chalet that your accommodation is named after. Les....one of the giants of Falls Creek!
wink.gif

TinkyH23

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2008
Macedon Ranges, Victoria
Oh Hully! That sounds like the "Dad joke" my husband did for years at the ticket box.
When asked where we were staying he would wink and say "LES CHALLETS."
Oh dear. (#embarrassedface)

Hully

One of Us
May 6, 2004
Kiewa Valley
Don't dis the Dad jokes! It is one of our few simple pleasures....I'm a late starter with the breeding gig but being able to legitimately tell Dad jokes was a strong motivator.
smile.gif

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass