Falls Creek board incompetent: Shorten

Roastie Harry

First Runs
Aug 21, 2001
Shorten letter spells trouble for Thwaites
The Age Online 5/7/07 Link.

ALP powerbroker Bill Shorten urged the Bracks Government to sack the entire board of Falls Creek a year ago, alleging serious mismanagement and anti-union practices.

In a letter to Deputy Premier John Thwaites obtained by The Age, Mr Shorten said Falls Creek management was "so bad it is the last choice for most prospective employees over the winter period".

The letter comes as a further embarrassment for Mr Thwaites, who has admitted to frequently receiving free luxury ski accommodation, lift passes and other benefits for him and his family from the Falls Creek board of management, which he appoints.

Hmm.

Last edited by a moderator:

HiLo

Old n' Crusty
Mar 26, 2001
Yarra Valley
This could add an interesting flavour to the discussion here. The previous thread condemning Judy Ward was started by one of our very public union haters. Now that it's been suggested that Ward is also anti-union, will we have a member tearing herself apart?
biggrin.gif

Anyway, the criticisms now seem to be coming from more than one quarter.

snowbunny2222

First Runs
Jun 25, 2003
VIC
Re: Falls Creek RMB in the poo again.

Ive nearly finished my business degree, send me up there to sort it out!

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.
www.australianmountains.com

Ted Baillieu was just on 3LO endorsing what Shorten said.
eek.gif
If we have prominent Labour AND Liberal leaders agreeing on stuff like this, I would have thought something would have to happen.

But this morning Thwaites was "on leave" and his office responded that the matter had already been “satisfactorily resolvedâ€.
rolleyes.gif
Originally I just wanted Judy Ward, the chairman of Falls Ck board, to resign but now it looks as though Thwaites has more to hide than as already been revealed.

HiLo

Old n' Crusty
Mar 26, 2001
Yarra Valley

Well, for starters, he appointed her to the job. Doesn't the buck stop at the top?

trent78

First Runs
Jul 14, 2003
St Kilda

Hmmm, its interesting a thread was around a couple of weeks ago about a savage shortage of staff at the resorts this year.

Falls Creek would really struggling to get staff when they are burnt by a bad season last year and now being the last choice of resorts to work at.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

ausi ski bum

A Local
Jan 1, 1970
Near Cootamundra NSW

HiLo said:
They each MUST influence one another.

No very seperate FCSL has a very good reputation for staff and always seems to employ some very excellent people, I am always impressed with the quality and friendly staff they get.

HiLo

Old n' Crusty
Mar 26, 2001
Yarra Valley

Your response has nothing to do with my statement. The two major organisations at the resort MUST influence one another. To argue otherwise is just silly.

HiLo

Old n' Crusty
Mar 26, 2001
Yarra Valley

They both depend on each other's activities, and hence their performance of each organisation's staff is critical to the other. Cultures would inevitably overlap.

hair-raiser

Hard Yards
Nov 25, 2003

Lift Co. is on the Board. I always wonder about high flyers who resign big jobs whilst still relatively young. (Not referring to RMB Chair, by the way!)

Hunter

Part of the Furniture
Endless Winter
Aug 21, 2000
goughs bay
HiLo said:
This could add an interesting flavour to the discussion here. The previous thread condemning Judy Ward was started by one of our very public union haters. Now that it's been suggested that Ward is also anti-union, will we have a member tearing herself apart?
biggrin.gif

Anyway, the criticisms now seem to be coming from more than one quarter.

I presume I am one of Quote "a union hater " Hilo.
As I have told you countless times I deplore corrupt unions not unions as a whole, but then like so many things that does not suit the barrow you push does it ?

Also show me where I "condemned Judy Ward" in the first thread.

HiLo

Old n' Crusty
Mar 26, 2001
Yarra Valley
I'll be watching like a hawk for any generalisations about unions in the future. Maybe you didn't condemn Ward. You are well know for posting articles without comment. My apologies if that's the case here.
tongue.gif

Hunter

Part of the Furniture
Endless Winter
Aug 21, 2000
goughs bay
Wrong on both counts then Hilo, remember that.

And exactly what is wrong with posting an article from someone else and not adding a comment exactly ?

And seeing you for some reason think it is a crime.... answer this carefully, have you ever posted articles without comment ?

trappers

Safety not guaranteed
Ski Pass
Jul 28, 1999
An airport
www.owithalinethroughit.com
HiLo said:
They both depend on each other's activities, and hence their performance of each organisation's staff is critical to the other. Cultures would inevitably overlap.
Speaking as someone with "some" experience of how the alpine borads in vic work at Hotham at least I can assure you that while yes, they do talk to each other, they obviously have to (as the board talks to every other stakeholder on the mountain) they remain as VERY separate entities, they actually work VERY hard at maintaining that individuality ...

I have quite a bit of experience in this area ... how much do you have HiLo, or are you just throwing mud from the sidelines?

HiLo

Old n' Crusty
Mar 26, 2001
Yarra Valley
That looks like mud being thrown at me, by a moderator.
wink.gif

I never suggested there was anything untoward or too close in the relationship between board and lift company. Do read what I actually post and stop reinterpreting it.

Hunter, don't be so sensitive. Anyone but the most rabid union hater would agree with me that you have made negative generalisations about unions in the past. It's one of the things we can rely on about you.

And I don't believe I;ve committed the sin of an article wihout a comment for a very long time.

Hunter

Part of the Furniture
Endless Winter
Aug 21, 2000
goughs bay
No Hilo, I have made a point condemn the Bully Boy unions not unions as a whole.

And so the answer again is YES I Hilo have posted articles without adding comment.

So again what is wrong with not adding comment to someone else's article ?

And by your own admission in the posts above we can certainly rely on YOU to "make things up to suit your cause" yes ?

Slushii

Mostly missing in action...
Apr 18, 2000
nowhere in particular...
HiLo said:
That looks like mud being thrown at me, by a moderator.
wink.gif

I'll take that
wink.gif
as a tongue-in-cheek remark and put it down to friendly ribbing between fellow posters.

To be fair, Trappers asked two questions (fair ones, IMHO).

Also to be fair, your post (of which I've partially quoted" could be interpreted as mud throwing at a moderator and fellow sno-info posters
wink.gif
wink.gif
;).

hair-raiser

Hard Yards
Nov 25, 2003
It seems to us that the Brack's Government in Victoria is approaching "Max-Hubris" stage, just as the Feds under LJH have done. A swap of both is due.

deep@niseko

First Runs
Jun 20, 2007
Bill Shorten has always had a good eye for the working man. I think his observations/allegations are spot on.

There is an awful lot of toffs on those Boards (and in the structure behind them). After all this has come to light, do we even need them?

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.
www.australianmountains.com
Deep, I'm not sure we need ye olde style "class warfare" on "toffs", on behalf of the "working man". (I haven't heard these phrases since the death of Marxism 20 years ago, so I'm getting all nostalgic for my adolescence.)

But addressing your point, these boards are supposed to represent those with interests in the town and skiing, in other words individual skiers, clubs, pubs, cafes and the lift company. The trouble is that they've been hijacked by time servers, bureaucrats and "political mates" (another olde style term!), so they've ceased to be representative.

But there is no reason why a wholesale cleanout shouldn't result in a hard working and functional board that properly administers the town of behalf of the tourist industry and the people that visit it.

deep@niseko

First Runs
Jun 20, 2007
Bogong, ne'er hath yon(?) truer word been spoken. Everything needs good and appropriate governance, to ensure the tax dollar is effectively allocated. I do take the view that the Boards are not representative of either the communities they purport to represent, or the consumers they purport to defer to. It is interesting to look back on the genesis of the Boards, which was the "Village Management Committees". Although these existed in the "wild west days" when there was little structure in our alpine communities, they nevertheless were quite strikingly more representative of key stakeholders than the Boards are now. Those key stakeolders were not just lift companies or locals, but were key infrastructure providers of the time (CRB (Vic Roads), SEC, Lands Dept etc etc). It is/was after all, state land.

This is interesting, because the Boards now spend all this money on attracting key bureacrats and Ministers, when in "the old days" they were actually key stakeholders in the resorts. And it was eyeballing those guys over the table that got roads built, electricity put in - all the stuff that builds towns and communities.

These days, community building is not new, just a different set of criteria. Are we still achieving "community building" milestones? Are our non-elected representatives actually delivering measurable progress? Or are we yet again fed self-serving hubris? Be interested in your views.

Generalising is possibly not correct, as the Hotham Board and the Buller Board has some real achievements under their belts. But is a structure that allows failure such as has occurred at Falls Creek a legitimate one? Hmmm...

Apresski

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Deep@niseko, that is the most intelligent post I have seen on this forum regarding this subject.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass