Opinion Falls Creek - Bouquets and Brickbats

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by currawong, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Conners

Conners Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

ROFL

Very much trolling LOL

2. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

It was in reply to

#602 currawong, Sep 5, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
    Scott No Mates likes this.
  3. Charlie

Charlie Still the most depraved poster here
    Season Pass Gold

How lucky was that girl?

just imagine, it could have been @JoeKing she walked in on!
    :eek:

JoeKing likes this.
  4. JoeKing

JoeKing Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Kick off your shoes and sit right down.
    Loosen off that pretty French gown.

#604 JoeKing, Sep 5, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  5. soza

soza Well-Known Member

A couple of bouquets.

Board lounge....the Mrs has been using the 3 hole burton binding plate all season on a non Burton board and lost a screw so rather than risk riding on 2 she popped in the shop to get another bolt. Ended up with a set of 4 hole plates fitted free to use until the end of the season.

Second is parks entry. Our old subbie wasn't going to last season with the clutch slipping so we had to swap to another car. I have heard horror stories of people trying this with requests for mechanical reports, but for us it was a smooth transition by just returning the old pass and paying a minimal fee.

6. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Alex Pongrass, when he was a co-owner of Guthega, called XC skiers "the bearded ones". His attitude was that they used resort facilities but spent minimal money within the resort. He had no interest in making them welcome. Falls Creek, of the major resorts, is probably the most XC friendly.

Chaeron likes this.
  7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Dedicated Member

@Legs Akimbo - is that the same Pongrass family of the furniture & fiberglass boats?

8. hongomania

hongomania Dedicated Member
    30 Day Pass

Wtf falls creek no snow and no traffic yet they close the village roads to traffic. What a joke.

9. Legs Akimbo

Season Pass Gold

Yes.

10. Scott No Mates

I knew Nick had a penchant for Ferraris but didn't know their relationship with Guthega.

11. Legs Akimbo

Season Pass Gold

This from Peter Aynsley's site. It gives a potted history.

12. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

I posted about this at the start of the season.
    And
    So peak season visitors win and shoulder-ish potentially lose it there is no snow on the roads. They win if there is snow.

I am going up tonight and have to pay for oversnow. PITA but not that big a deal really. Half paid for by savings earlier in the season.

As of Monday you can drive in (unless a miraculous dump arrives first)

soza likes this.
  13. hongomania

hongomania Dedicated Member
    30 Day Pass

Its blowing a gale, wet and cold with the wind, and the village is a ghost town.
    There is no risk of pedestrians getting. Open it up for the day take care of your customers. Derrrrr.

soza likes this.
  14. soza

soza Well-Known Member

If it's all down to having to pay the oversnow guys for doing nothing for a week then it really is poor form from FC. Not that it bothers us, we pack light with a backpack each and hike up snow or not.

15. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

I've just seen an email asking red pass holders (businesses with a justification for having snowmobiles and wheeled vehicles in the village) to remove 2wd vehicles from the village because of possible snow and icy conditions over the weekend.

#615 currawong, Sep 9, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  16. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Oversnow is outsourced, the staff are not employed by fcrm. The contractor can deliver a lower price with a defined minimum season. Speaking generally, outsourcing distorts a lot of decisions. There is certainly less flexibility in many cases. The arrangement at Falls does seem to work fairly well overall (compared to outsource arrangements on other industries that I have experienced) . It also covers freight in the village, shuttles, garbage collection, parking, rangers and cleaning fcrm premises.

17. Hully

Hully Dedicated Member

Not necessarily so if you look at the 2015 FCRM Annual Report. Nearly $700k in the red and attributed by the Chairman in his narrative to cost blowouts associated with outsourcing failures.

18. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

I didn't mean top say that it was a good idea or financially smart, just that the compromises involved in codifing services have not worked out that badly compared to some I have seen. I expected it to be much worse when they decided to outsource

19. TinkyH23

TinkyH23 Active Member

Is it just me? or have the Falls Creek cams been mixed up a lot of the season.
    Eg, Today:
    - click on Gully Chair - it shows pic of lower car park
    -click on Summit Run - it shows eagle chair
    -click on Drover's Dream - it shows top of Halley's

20. Hully

Hully Dedicated Member

The cams have always 'panned' through a number of views from the single cam. The skifalls website used to have them all listed as multiple views, now they just show 4 or so views. What I think happens now with the fallscreek.com.au site and the app is that each cam takes a 'snapshot' at a defined interval so it depends on the view that the cam is capturing at that time.

Chaeron likes this.
  21. gettingtooold

gettingtooold Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Gully, car park and Inter have been out of whack this year. A lot missing or out of action around the resort also. Can't recall RC cams all season.

Chaeron and Karicta like this.
  22. BillyKidd

BillyKidd Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

FC cam coverage is a disgrace. 2016. Digital web cam tech is pretty good. So is weatherproofing and lens tech. No excuse for not having reliable coverage with clear definition.

Chaeron likes this.
  23. Conners

Conners Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Disgrace 'might' be to strong a word. 2016 has been sh*t I agree but they are running a business, does Ford advertise crap engines?

24. Stratus

Stratus Addicted Member

Agreed. Feels like Falls are going backwards to their Iconic SpinCreek times circa 2006.

25. snowgum

snowgum Dedicated Member

...not sure about NSW sites (Perisher seem to have a huge range of cams - many of them good!)

But Vic resort cams seem to be going backwards over the last few years (ie fewer, less clear, less reliable & in many cases inferior aspects/night lighting!)

...as for Bawbs - one can hardly see a skier, never mind a real ski run!

26. Scott No Mates

Not just a brickbat for the cams but maybe a few well directed bullets :blb:

Sure it's great to have a camera on every punter on the mountain (oh, you've forgot to cover Schuss, Parallel, Arlberg, FC Road, Snowgums Lane etc - so we can see road conditions too!). A few well directed cameras with clear pictures which are in focus. We don't need to see every run UNLESS it is a clear picture. :headbang:

Marketing - too much photo information. 6-8 cameras will probably do it. Towers, Summit, Inter, Drovers, Halleys, Ruined/Lakeside, Gully & Carpark. I don't need a summer photo of an equipment shed. ROFL (No-one in marketing reads this site nor do the bods responsible for setting up the cameras/rebooting the system as they would have turned that camera off in June).

Showing crappy pictures is as bad as showing no pictures - they're to be used to showcase the joint, show how much better the cover is at FC not confuse everyone with blurry low res. :tany:

(Back in your cage SNM :))

Chaeron likes this.
  27. Gamera MC

Gamera MC Active Member

Generally over the past few years there has been a somewhat reliable relationship between rain and the webcams being "offline".
    Illuminati Confirmed.

IMO of course :)

Stiffler and Scott No Mates like this.
  28. BillyKidd

Season Pass Silver

Even just a f*cking cloth and a ladder to clean the bastards....and the cameras as well.

Chaeron and Stiffler like this.
  29. Hully

Hully Dedicated Member

:confused::rolleyes:o_O Please excuse my cynical smirk.....FCRM posts a $700K negative result in the their 2015 annual report, an amount that is 25% of total resort entry revenue for the year, and nobody bats an eyelid. Snowcams on the other hand, less than ideal performance and it sparks outrage! This is why resort performance and value for money delivery won't improve, nobody is interested in holding them to account....even the politicians and bureaucrats who appoint the board members. I tried and you should see where it got me!!!

Chaeron likes this.
  30. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

is it online somewhere? the most recent I can see is 2014?

31. Hully

Hully Dedicated Member

I got it from the Victorian Parliament website a few months ago, I don't think they'll be in a rush to post on fallscreek.com.au

32. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

ok, found it. Now I just have to find time to read it

For anyone else who"s interested

Attached Files:

33. BillyKidd

Season Pass Silver

I know what you're saying Hully. I suspect the two are linked. In effect nobody cares....enough. The value proposition to go skiing in Australia is absent. We all love skiing and skiing in Oz holds a place in our hearts but until such time as hills get serious about generating year-round revenue, until the lodge owners and operators can wean themselves off short season gouging, until you have a lift company that can actually run efficiently and get realistic about ticket prices, until you have amenities and services that are effective and reliable, until you have an RMB not stacked with cronies and until you can get the whole lot actually working together then you will never get the value on offer that is going to see the place reliably attract the disposable dollar in a consistently competitive way. But, like the cams, nobody cares enough to clean it up and point it in the right direction. And they never will. That opportunity came and went ten or more years ago. To some extent it is our fault...the avid skiing public who have been prepared to put up with third rate service and value because we love the place. We need to harden up and put our money elsewhere. And in fact the public have been doing exactly that. They, we, I, preferentially do other things or ski overseas because the value on offer is so often that much better. The idea of holding these characters to account will come about not by your excellent efforts but by the market walking away. The cynical notion of FC, Hotham etc being saved by various real estate developments was what it was, a sham. Those hills will survive only if there is a concerted effort to deliver value. That is too much to ask of the current vested interests. Those cameras are symptomatic. Too many comfortable vested interests whose viability is rapidly ending. It's going to take a very large cloth and a big ladder to get it all pointing in the right direction again.

34. Scott No Mates

It's not my job!

35. rowdyflat

rowdyflat Active Member

Its strange that the Falls creek ski area management cant break even, there must be incompetence considering the gouging just to get in there= $49.50 per day for providing a carpark and sometimes clearing the road !

36. BillyKidd

Season Pass Silver

In a word or two, they are f*cking hopeless. Jobsworths the lot of them.

37. TinkyH23

TinkyH23 Active Member

Brickbats to Falls Creek Country Club for not mentioning that their Restaurant was closed for the season when I booked with them on Thursday. We arrived Friday night at 5.30pm, checked in, unpacked and headed to dinner. Then we saw the closed for the season signs. :( Ended up buying 2 x TV dinners in the supermarket. :(

Bouquets to Diana Alpine Lodge who after telling us they were fully booked on Saturday night, rang back and said they had a cancellation. Only a short walk out the back door of FCCC - the location was ideal. The 4 of us had a lovely 3 course meal with friendly and attentive service to boot.

38. BillyKidd

Season Pass Silver

As Diana lodge has so delivered for many years.

Chaeron and Karicta like this.
  39. FlatLander

FlatLander Active Member

exactly BillyKid, I have been banging on about this for ages, it is a failing of many businesses in the industry that fail to see the benefit of customer service, and are quite happy to price gouge the industry into extinction as long as they maintain profits. The fact that lift ticket prices are increasing at quite a rate, with very little/none ski field development is proof. And snow making is not ski field development, its simply necessary to provide a basic core product through the marginal times.

40. BillyKidd

Season Pass Silver

Just compare lift prices and skiable terrain in the US, Canada, Japan, EU etc. We are being stiffed which is why I save up and head there (or ski XC here).

41. soza

soza Well-Known Member

Hats off to the marketing team for the final weekend. The fact that I couldn't get a park in the middle car park says it all.....oh I did forget to put my clock forward so it was 10am when I arrived. I still think we had 3 or 4 X the paying customers we would normally have.....possibly more. I spoke to many first timers asking for directions and a group from Melbourne who set off at 3 in the morning to take advantage of the deal.

little brickbat for the gift shop....souvenirs are tacky as hell. I wanted to grab something as it may be my last visit for a while but even the fridge magnets were crappy images from 20 years ago. All season we have seen some amazing photography online by Chris Hocking, it would be great if they started using his talents with the merchandise.

42. mick chopps

mick chopps Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

A laughable off season brickbat for a large commercial apartment complex that will remain nameless. As a previous customer of a few occasions a number of years ago, I got an email notification last week of early bird deals for next season. That's right, some committed and hardy folk are still earning turns in the chutes above blue lake on the Main Range and I'm getting emails from accommodation providers about bookings for next season! Given how ridiculously far in advance it is, you might reasonably expect a solid discount off the seasonal rate for whenever the booking might be (low/mid/high). Well you'd be wrong. The grand total of 5% was all that was offered. 5 ****ing percent to book up to 8 months in advance. I sent them an email asking if it was a typo, nope. The booking manager spun me a bunch of bullshit about other providers jacking their forward rates then offering a "discount" to make it seem like a good deal and the standard crap about the high operating costs and short season blah blah blah. Basically she brushed me with the standard tokenistic bullshit explanation. It's been a few years since we've stayed there and needless to say, the chances of it ever happening again just took a significant hit. Compare this with the amazing service and fantastic rates we received from a direct competitor (who also will remain nameless) for 4 years running who after making what was in reality a relatively minor error on our first booking offered us a price downgrade every time we stayed there after (low season rates during mid season, mid season rates during high season).

**** you Frueauf Village.

I know I said they'd remain nameless but **** them, I don't own them squat and they're clearly not interested in retaining my custom.

#642 mick chopps, Dec 13, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
    BillyKidd likes this.
  43. Jellybeans1000

Jellybeans1000 Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Yeah but it's a "luxury oasis"

mick chopps likes this.
  44. mick chopps

mick chopps Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

It's no more luxurious than the other location we've stayed at since, and the food and coffee is better at the new joint.

45. skimax

skimax Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Snowmaking is a necessity and the cost of powering it is going through the roof, i think the ski lift prices for australia are reasonable considering legal , labour , short season capital investment etc , its the combination of all of the other crap around it that is more gouging per se.

46. ladycamper

ladycamper Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Maybe if liability laws were restricted we could get down costs to the ski industry. Too often people seem to think tragedy is an opportunity for a windfall, eg the Charlotte Pass case.

47. BillyKidd

Season Pass Silver

I think lift prices are ludicrous here given snow quality, quantity, reliability, run length, wind hold bullshit, lift speeds, lift reliability, skiable area etc. In addition to the other gouging that goes on. Hence lack of interest in downhill skiing in Oz. X-C here, alpine where the value is (not just money but ski value also ).

48. DbSki

DbSki Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Skiing was the domain of the more well off when I was younger and now it is affordable to anyone on a wage, proof IMO skiing is more affordable now than it was in the past.

49. BillyKidd

Season Pass Silver

I think that was and is the perception but I don't agree. If you look at relative incomes/costs and disposable balances on houses or holidays ... or even power tools the first is far more expensive, the second is variable but more expensive (lower cost to buy a car, higher fuel prices, competitive accommodation on the flat but gouging on the hill, lower communications costs, expensive lift tickets, slightly lower hire fees, expensive entry and parking) the third is a lot cheaper (China effect). Make the o/s comparison and we cost a lot.

50. skimax

skimax Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Agree totally with this ,
    i dont agree with you Billy Kid, i suspect the resorts are making far less margin now than they ever used to due to spiralling costs and a shorter season, and no its not just visitor number dependant which im pretty sure have gone up, its the cost of insurance , labour , snow making , grooming , and compliance which is driving prices up. at say 110 a day , compared to say a round of drinks , or a round of golf at a good course , a parachute jump, a dinner , i mean really for its uniqueness its still not silly and the bottom line is to have it , thats pretty much what they need to charge

Charlie likes this.