Opinion Falls Creek - Bouquets and Brickbats

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by currawong, Jul 15, 2015.

1. DbSki

DbSki Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

You can debate the outgoings but the bottom line of the ledger is how affordable it is, and its more affordable than it was in the past.
    We could host an Olympic games sport of skiing price complaints and its a sport skiers have participated in since skiing began.
    30p a day to ride up Bull Run rope tow was daylight robbery according to my father.

What really cut their margins was cheap overseas flight that had them competing with overseas resorts where they once had a captive customer base.
    That was the dark ages of Australian Skiing, service with a sneer was common, after the enlightenment they were forced to start practicing customer service, something a few of them still struggle with to this day but those few are thankfully uncommon now.

Stratus likes this.
  2. skimax

skimax Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Yes overseas travel by air was only for the rich really until the 80s

3. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

I flew to Europe in 1988. It cost more in absolute dollars, without adjustments for inflation, then than it would now. A couple of thousand, or close to it, IIRC.

4. skimax

skimax Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

yes dont disagree LA , i should have put 90's but they were coming down in real terms from the 70's during the 80's ,

5. BillyKidd

BillyKidd Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

Air fare prices have certainly been pushed down by competition. Ski hill prices not so.

6. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Except that most mountains offer early bird season pass deals at amazingly good rates compare to historic rates
    And there have been some pretty good deals on offer for those who qualify, eg Falls Creek's coffee club cheap day ticket for parent with kid in ski school, BFF plan for free ski day for a beginner friend, 1234ever season pass for beginners, fathers day dads ski free. I don't recall anything like that in the 70s and 80s except for closing weekend.

7. BillyKidd

Season Pass Silver

Yes that is true. And they certainly need to do it. But it doesn't offset accommodation costs etc that still gouge nor do they handle poor snow conditions very well with, if not refunds then hold overs for a season or three. And other hills around the world world offer these things and more so the value proposition is just better....especially on lift ticket pricing and on available ski area etc. I love skiing in Oz but the industry has always failed to really get the value proposition going.

8. hongomania

hongomania Dedicated Member
    30 Day Pass

Bouquet
    - what a view (still a patch of snow on spion kopje!)
    - fantastic customer service and facilities at attunga lodge

[​IMG]

#658 hongomania, Dec 27, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Dedicated Member

@hongomania - is that view from the loungeroom/deck?

hongomania likes this.
  10. Edgecrusher

Edgecrusher Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Bouquet: the coffee at Stingray. They've changed their beans since I'd been there previously. They made consistently good coffee.

Had a great couple of days escaping the heat and getting right out beyond the resort boundaries on foot and MTB.

Even landed some small brown trout on the fly within the village
    [​IMG]

11. Hully

Hully Dedicated Member

Observations/experiences season to date:
    - queue management from Guest Services currently a big fail
    - lift operators friendly and safe.... too many unnecessary slows and stops but with over 50 rookies and this early in the season not expected
    - chain fitting/road clearing unnecessarily conservative. We haven't had a double figure snowfall for the season but requirements to use chains on many unnecessary kms of 'black road' not Falls Creek standard. Summed up by snowplow 4wd parked at chain fitting bay checking that 4wds are engaged instead of clearing the 4cm of snowfall that had guests fitting chains 8km from resort. No operating snowclearing vehicle observed for while trip.
    - on snow food and beverage.... nothing has changed!

Slide Sideways likes this.
  12. BillyKidd

Season Pass Silver

Lack of common sense with chain policy, crap on snow F&B....just add slowing lifts and wind holds and ever decreasing windspeeds and you have it summed up!

ladycamper likes this.
  13. emkae

emkae Active Member
    Season Pass Gold

I was at Falls over the school holidays and I thought the Guest Services were doing an OK job during the peak times. I hadn't been to Falls for a few years and back then they didn't seem to do any queue management. But this time, particularly in the 2nd week of the hols when it was extra busy the people were sorting the punters into groups of 4 and even allowed "normal" people to go on the chairs ahead of ski school. Yes it wasn't perfect but they seemed to be trying

Also thought there was a LOT of slowing/stopping of lifts and your post explains what was the cause

14. Hully

Hully Dedicated Member

Queue management frustrations probably a bit unfair on my part towards Guest Services, though they still haven't got the Falls Express right...except for the one occasion when one of the GS people positioned himself before the scanning gates and was managing all queue feeds to send 4s through the scanning gates. Frustratingly most of the time they had themselves up near the load gates calling for singles, most of who had pushed through and formed back up as 2s, 3s and 4s with their mates. I also get frustrated when on lifts used by more experienced skiers (eg Ruined Castle) that they can't manage themselves to fill all chairs particularly when the queues are long.

15. BillyKidd

Season Pass Silver

Be good if FC pushed more (signage and towie support) for full chairs....and encourage singles etc to race up front as required.

16. Sadie

Sadie Chk Chk Boom

The slowing and stopping of lifts! It was what made me call it a day on Saturday. It was a beautiful day and snow was lovely but I just got over it and went for a coffee.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy Addicted Member
    30 Day Pass

Thumbs up to Elk for the brekky deal of coffee and toastie. Good quality, a decent sized serve and professional service.

Thumbs down to Milch for abysmal service.

Sadie and Chaeron like this.
  18. Scott No Mates Ver 1.1

Hit or miss again this year?

19. Ziggy

Ziggy Addicted Member
    30 Day Pass

Never been there before and this was based on only one visit. Maybe too harsh but the failure was egregious.

20. fx 140 ski freek

fx 140 ski freek Active Member

Milch is for sale
    Was on the market after last season
    Same owners, probably had enough and not giving 100%

Chaeron and Ziggy like this.
  21. emkae

emkae Active Member
    Season Pass Gold

I've only been once and it was the middle of the school holidays so was absolutely packed but the food was great and service was good considering the number of people there

22. Sadie

Sadie Chk Chk Boom

That was my thought. It certainly is different this season.

Bouquet to El at the bottom of towers yesterday! She's great at getting the lines sorted.

Brickbat to the dude at Lakeside handing the pomas out backward and also not watching the load.

23. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Haven't been up as much as usual, so can't comment on some places

Bouquets
    • Huski lunches & service
    • Be Foodstore for great coffee, afternoon pizzas, relaxed vibe and friendly service
    • The Pass for the ham, cheese & mustard toastie - good value light lunch
    • Snonuts for their always great hot cinnamon doughnuts
    • Lift co for getting Lakeside & Inter open reasonably quickly
    Brickbats
    • Ski school for not providing continuity / progression for slower beginners (just repeat identical 1st timer lesson with a different instructor or cough up for a private lesson)
    • Lift co for very poor communication about windholds
    • Ski school for refusing to allow swap to afternoon lesson after giving insufficent notice of morning lesson rescheduling after windhold
    • Lift co for the dreadful morning emails which are pretty much an information free zone. You get more useful info about lifted conditions from the xc report
    • Lift co for not grooming more intermediate terrain after snowfall (eg ruined castle). The advanced skiers love it but plenty of intermediates floundered unhappily on "best day of the season"
    • A mini brickbat to Befoodstore for removing the small serve option (with toast) for mussels. Was a very good value lunch last year. Full serve is a pricey lunch.
    Feathertop under new management have regained the Fawlty Towers award, at least in the restaurant. Food was mostly quite good but service was erratic

24. lardarse

lardarse New Member

Brickbrat: lift passes only being sold at 2 outlets this year! The que was going down the steps near foodwork yesterday AM!!!!

25. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Have a reloadable pass and buy online unless you have absolutely no alternative

Chaeron likes this.
  26. Hully

Hully Dedicated Member

I look at people queuing for tickets, particularly on a Saturday morning, and just shake my head wondering why.... why didn't they buy their tickets online saving money and time?

Sadie, Chaeron and currawong like this.
  27. Scott No Mates Ver 1.1

A bit of pre-planning never goes astray. You can usually get them from Mt Beauty ski/chain hire, pre-ordered over the interweb thingy, post, ticket office at top of Gully chair, snow sports office near cloud 9 or the FC ski hire shop.

Chaeron likes this.
  28. lardarse

lardarse New Member

So stayed in Bogong on the Friday Night, wasn't going to buy ahead in case of Windhold. Hence why we had to line up. Either way, the shops on the mountain should all sell them!

29. kimberlee81

kimberlee81 Dedicated Member

What's a que?

30. rdk

rdk Active Member

A short queue.

skidazza and Hully like this.
  31. Hully

Hully Dedicated Member

What about getting on your smart phone while having a coffee at the Pass, instead of waiting in line, and loading a day pass to your Snow Pass? I still don't get waiting in line for lift tickets given today's technology. If you have a Snow Pass you wait in line for a ticket seller to load your pass instead of you.

Chaeron and currawong like this.
  32. BillyKidd

Season Pass Silver

Why the hell should they? They are there, they are customers. I know the Lift Co is f'kn hopeless but the idea of customer service....it's not new. Serve them efficiently.

lardarse likes this.
  33. emkae

emkae Active Member
    Season Pass Gold

The lift co should give away the empty lift passes for free but put enough details on them so people know what to do and which website etc so they can load them with their smart phones. Once you experience the abysmal service of standing in the queue you never do it again and I guess many people in the queue want to ask a question or simply aren't aware of how to buy a ticket

34. lardarse

lardarse New Member

Or have lost or don't have a snow pass!

Last year (and as their website still says!) you can reload at any shop outlet on the mountain, which is false! We went to board lounge, shop below last hoot and also a ski outlet to which none could reload!

You make money by selling the tickets, making customers pissed off is pretty poor form, waiting over 40min!

stratussed and BillyKidd like this.
  35. Hully

Hully Dedicated Member

You've been skiing at Falls all season, so have a Snow Pass....did you lose it, leave it behind or elect to wait in line?

36. Hully

Hully Dedicated Member

@CarveMan posted this the other day on his Aussie Skier FB feed..."Hack 2: Buy your lift tickets in advance online and not only will you ski straight past the lift ticket queue in the morning, you could also save money!"..... it ain't rocket science in 2017.

37. BillyKidd

Season Pass Silver

Hully you're an apologist for a shed load of deficits at FC. They won't be perfect but they make little attempt to remedy them. No need to defend them.

38. Ziggy

Ziggy Addicted Member
    30 Day Pass

There's still plenty of people around who don't trust the net for purchases and also some who aren't confident enough to try.
    And the FC online purchasing site is archaic.

stratussed, lardarse and Pademelon like this.
  39. Hully

Hully Dedicated Member

You have have got to be kidding that I am an apologist for FC. I essentially got the sack from an FCRM job because they didn't like my comments on this forum. I criticise where appropriate and defend or praise where deserved.
    I stand by my statement that in 2017 for the majority of people who are standing in line to buy a ticket it is their own fault, they could use the exact device that they are using to post on this forum to load a day on their Snow Pass.

40. Hully

Hully Dedicated Member

That's fine, people who don't want to buy online can wait in long lines on a Saturday morning to buy a lift ticket.... long lines that have been the same for years. The Lift Company has put in place alternatives for those who don't want to stand in line. I'll try and find out if they have researched why those standing in line haven't utilised online purchasing.... probably valuable info to have.

41. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

I' m not defending lift co not opening more ticket windows, but it is hardly unexpected in this day. At the supermarket there are often long queues for a small number of checkouts - and a self serve option. We want the lift co to keep prices down but then criticise a labour saving measure.

Last season i had to stand in a ridiculously long weekend queue with relatives. We had given them our discount vouchers to get cheaper tickets but they left them in the car (parked down the road) :headbang::headbang::headbang: . We had to front up in person with our hero passes to help them. Never again. If someone losses vouchers again, they can pay full price.

42. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

This is the funniest thing ever posted in a FC thread, possibly on the forums ever.
    @Hully is a straight shooter, to his personal cost. He has more knowledge about how FC operates than any one who has posted on these forums while I've been around. His "defence" of some things comes from knowing/understanding what is going on rather than slinging ignorant mud. I don't always agree with him on matters of opinion but i will nearly always bow to his superior knowledge of FC.

#692 currawong, Jul 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  43. gaz35

gaz35 Active Member

rule no 1 - buying needs to be easy

stratussed likes this.
  44. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Rule no 2 - you can lead a dog skier to water but you can't make them think

45. Scott No Mates Ver 1.1

Where's the double 'Like's?

#695 Scott No Mates Ver 1.1, Jul 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    Chaeron likes this.
  46. Charlie

Charlie Still the most depraved poster here
    Season Pass Gold

Rule no 3 - you can pick your friends, you can't pick your relatives

Sadie and Chaeron like this.
  47. Scott No Mates Ver 1.1

Or your nose but then again there's surgery.

48. lardarse

lardarse New Member

3 friends came along

49. azzski

azzski Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

For what it's worth, I bought my first tickets for the season online, 8 days out. They won't guarantee the snow passes can be delivered to me via post within 10 working days, so I have to pick the tickets up. I have a photo I uploaded personally, but if buying for multiple people (like I am) that also presents a problem forcing people into a pickup queue. Also, as previously noted, the e-store for buying tickets looks a decade old.

Now most resorts have gone down the photo path, there's not much can be done about that for some people - but 10 working days? Excessive.

stratussed and gaz35 like this.
  50. Hully

Hully Dedicated Member

Saturday wasn't quite a powder day but..... there's no friends on........;)

Sadie and currawong like this.