Opinion Falls Creek - Bouquets and Brickbats

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by currawong, Jul 15, 2015.

1. pykie87

pykie87 First Runs

Brickbat to the La Trobe Uni mini bus driver sliding dead set sideways down the 1 degree gradient up near Woodsmoke last Saturday.

Slid sideways into a set of parked cars next to me as I was digging my car out, on inspection his front tires resembled formula one slicks, the fibers were coming through ffs.

Took 10 people to push the bus sideways off the parked cars. Bloke seemed nonchalent that FC was getting about 20cm, it was dumping and he was about to take a bus load of kids down the mountain in a bus that had slid completely sideways on a flat road.

I dropped into the police station on the way down to make sure the bloke got a canary so the uni would eventually be forced to replace those tires.

2. TinkyH23

TinkyH23 Hard Yards

Bouquets to the snow patroller at the bottom of Halley’s yesterday afternoon. Armed with a shovel and that push snow clearer thing - he dug out a few of those bumps between lift and QT building so folk could ski through unhindered.

Ziggy likes this.
  3. Hully

Hully One of Us

Try getting through there with somebody in a sit ski!!

Ziggy likes this.
  4. TinkyH23

TinkyH23 Hard Yards

Yes terrible. For that reason alone they need to improve that access path.
    Was like polished concrete this morning and still bumpy.

5. weerab

weerab One of Us
    Ski Pass: Gold

brickbat to the the driver of the outback who tried to overtake me, a people mover and a bus! He virtuallly cut me off as he had to get back in before a corner. There was a passing lane 1km further up! A lot of people are using the new slow vehicle pullovers but there are a few who don't realise how slow they are travelling. I was stuck behind a Pajero on the way down this arvo doing about 40km/hr and she could have pulled over at 3 chain bays but didn't. She eventually pulled over into a slow lane about 10km down the mountain.

Slalom and currawong like this.
  6. Ziggy

Ziggy Renormed

Downhill. ..
    There's chain bays, not marked as turnouts.
    There's the Overtaking Lanes, 40 km limit.
    There's only one marked turnout, well down the hill.

More signs may help, and more formal turnouts, but some drivers don't understand the system and some refuse to extend any courtesy to others (reckon they own their bit of the road).

7. Xplora

Xplora One of Us

I have had this happen in summer coming down, but slower. Eventually I lent on the horn and she pulled over. It may have been the same lady.

8. Slide Sideways

Slide Sideways Hard Yards

Bouquets to the lift crew yesterday.
    Finally getting the idea of no need to stop the lift for a dropped ski pole.

Joe, currawong and Chaeron like this.
  9. skiflat

skiflat Part of the Furniture

Epic fail to Falls Creek for next year

$499 for a Spring pass
    $799 for next year

Buller offer their 2019 season pass with FREE Spring skiing

FAIL

10. Hully

Hully One of Us

Not quite correct..... you get vouchers for discounted skiing and rental for a friend during 2018 ski season. Ie: use your 2018 pass for yourself and your pre purchased paid in full 2019 pass entitles you to discount vouchers for a friend during spring season 2018.
    http://www.mtbuller.com.au/Winter/lift-passes-rental-retail/lift-passes/season-memberships

Chaeron and currawong like this.
  11. skiflat

12. Slide Sideways

Slide Sideways Hard Yards

I snowride during spring with my hero pass every season so far

2019 I have to pay for spring?

13. skiflat

Yeah if you have a current pass

Buller is trying to attract more punters and will likely succeed

Given Falls Creeks poor visitor numbers they should be trying to lock new punters in for next season with free Spring 2018 skiing

14. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty

where does it say that?
    Falls Creek Hero pass is being launched tomorrow. Did they give you a special heads up on what's included or excluded?

BTW Falls Creek numbers were only down because Buller actually had some snow. Of course some people go to Buller when there is good snow and Falls otherwise

Hully and Chaeron like this.
  15. skiflat

Hotham have all the details up already

https://www.mthotham.com.au/lift-pass/season-pass/hero-pass

Given they are flogging a $499 spring pass they won't offer free spring skiing with a 2019 pass

16. currawong

They probably won't offer it, but you can't know for sure that they won't because it isn't announced yet. The Hero pass will probably be the same as Hotham's but sometimes the different arms of the lift co do compete with each other. Unlikely in this case I agree, but not actually known

You still haven't provided any evidence that Buller is actually offering free 2018 spring skiing to 2019 season pass buyers. @Hully's link certainly only showed it providing vouchers for mates of 2019 season ticket buyers - presumably marketing to existing season pass holders more than new prospects

17. skiflat

Already told you it was in the heading of Bullers season pass

Now in an email since you find it hard to believe

Our 2019 Season Membership includes a mountain of benefits:
    • Unlimited lift access for 2019 PLUS all of Spring 2018 so your membership perks kick in immediately
    Now this will only hurt Falls Creek more since numbers were down this year

Hotham have announced the Hero Pass with NO spring skiing

Fail Merlin

If I didn't get cheap Hotham accommodation I'd go to Buller

18. Hully

Hully One of Us

Regarding visitor numbers, I am not convinced about any strong relationship between AARCC gate numbers and Lift Co skier days/revenue. Falls Creek snowplay visitors opting for Buller to snowplay does not IMO necessarily reflect in lifted skiing numbers. Actually the anecdotal feedback on this forum from Buller regulars would suggest that the lifted ski area hasn't been busy proportional to entry number increase.

I also really don't think in Victoria there is a significant shift between resorts based on Season Pass pricing. The main aim of season pass discounting is to lock people in for next season (and guarantee pre season revenue) and those that buy them are regular skiers who already have a strong 'home resort' affiliation.

Apresski, currawong and skiflat like this.
  19. skiflat

Agree to a point and let's face it $799 for a season pass was unthinkable before 2012....

20. currawong

If it's in the buller email then there's a fail if you can't find the same offer on their website.

I doubt that Falls/Hotham will lose much business over this. it doesn't help current season pass holders. the number of potential hotham/falls season pass holders who would buy Buller on the strength of this will be tiny.

Chaeron and Hully like this.
  21. Alfred14

Alfred14 Hard Yards

22. skiflat

It's clear on the website for most to see

23. currawong

Alfred14 likes this.
  24. skiflat

25. Hully

Hully One of Us

If you get cheap accommodation at Hotham, why have you posted this on the Falls forum as a criticism of Falls Creek Ski Lifts? Surely your beef should be directed to Mt Hotham Ski Company as that is where you are wishing to use the benefit of free spring skiing I presume.

Sadie, Chaeron and TinkyH23 like this.
  26. skiflat

Lol OK

Same company
    Same issue

LOL again

27. TinkyH23

TinkyH23 Hard Yards

Mate read the terms and conditions.
    A Hero pass is for a whole season. :thumbs:

And also mentioned under BENEFITS:
    Unlimited access
    Access 770 hectares and 158 runs at Hotham and Falls Creek resorts all season

Chaeron likes this.
  28. Hully

Hully One of Us

From early September on Lift Company revenue is rapidly decreasing compared to costs (fixed and variable) as a high proportion of skiers are skiing on season passes and not contributing much incremental revenue. From a business point I would be focussing on marketing strategies to increase revenue at this time, which is partly what Buller are doing as their early bird must be paid in full to realise the spring ski benefits. Both are valid strategies, up to the commercial managers to determine if there is greater benefit in marketing strategies to drive direct spring incremental revenue or bringing forward 2019 revenue and forfeiting spring 2018 incremental revenue.

currawong and Chaeron like this.
  29. Chaeron

Chaeron One of Us

Agreed.

And while Buller trumps Hotham/ Falls on visitor numbers, Falls/Hotham disproportionately gain when it comes to visitor days,,,

It comes down to the day trip out of Melbourne for Buller vs. the longer stay at the more distant resorts.

AND if you follow the Buller threads, a significant pick-up in Buller numbers are from non-skiing low revenue day trippers, who are crowding out higher revenue skiers.....

So while the recent differrential pricing on the combination of parking and oversnow between Buller and the Merlin resorts does depend on these obvious contrasts, I agree that this has no impact whatsoever on Hero price purchases, or the benefits attached to it, or to the loyalty of season pass holders to the resorts.

Getting 2 mountains (as far as lift access goes) for the price of one is awesome which is enough, apart from the on average better snow, to keep me locked in with FC/ Hotham - and for existing pass holders it comes down to when you buy your Spring Access -in our case, in the preceding season.

currawong and Hully like this.
  30. skiflat

Fail

31. Ziggy

Ziggy Renormed

Ah, best you read these posts again carefully

skiflat likes this.
  32. Hully

Hully One of Us

I know that....I just don't understand why if you're a Hotham skier your bagging FCSL arm of Merlin on the Falls Creek forum not bagging MHSC arm of Merlin on the Mt Hotham forum. I really don't care as I have a Hero Pass and won't be paying anything extra to ski this spring or next.

Chaeron and currawong like this.
  33. skiflat

So Falls is last to announce their season pass for 2019

Another FAIL

34. Ziggy

Ziggy Renormed

Yeah. Would like transferable resort entry passes too.
    But there's no scanning at Falls.

Sadie and Chaeron like this.
  35. skiflat

Because I am skiing Falls this Spring.......

Would be good to save the $499

But the other hand is you get to ski 2 mountains and not just Buller

Chaeron likes this.
  36. Hully

Hully One of Us

So you didn't buy a $799 HERO pass for Hotham and Falls for this year...... I've enjoyed over 50 days on mine already and still have over 5 weeks left of skiing, the product and the marketing is fine by me.

37. currawong

current season pass holders are invited to a function tomorrow where the announcement will be made.

and early tracks on summit tomorrow.

not much, but it's a gesture of thanks for season pass holders who are there or nearby.

38. skiflat

LOL

Ok then

Still defending Falls I see

Oh since it's fine by you, it must be fine for everyone....

Falls visitor numbers say it all. Worst growth of any resort in VIC in a good season

Would think they would try to attract NEW visitors

I think their is a saying about arguing with an ....

39. Hully

Hully One of Us

I'm not defending Falls, just stating rightly or wrongly it works for me.

If I was making commercial marketing decisions for FCSL, based on your position (ie skier with Hotham allegiance due to cheap accomm, not a season pass holder for any Vic resort, visiting Falls this spring, unhappy that Buller 2019 pass offers better 2018 spring ski option) would I change my strategy....probably not.

currawong and Chaeron like this.
  40. Chaeron

Chaeron One of Us

@skiflat - In a good season it snows lower down & thus closer in to Melbourne- so Baw Baw, Buffalo,
    Lake Mountain and Stirling’s numbers pick up along with Buller’s, thereby reducing the market share of Falls/ Hotham. So don’t read too much into the numbers.

I reckon the RMB’s and the lift companies will also look at client spend, rather than just visits, and Falls/Hotham potentially capture a larger share of their visitor wallet than Buller might - it would be awesome to have the data to be able to make these comparisons.

I don’t think simplistic comparisons or playoffs on loyalty serve much purpose.

If you look at Visitor Days, rather than Visitors, then the stats also tell a different story.

I’d rather grind bases than axes but...

Very happy to have Falls retain my loyalty and the Buller offer, with all its merits isn’t a downright winner for all - all the mountains (even St Gwinear and Mt Willis) have their charms, and all the companies, RMB’s have their plusses and minuses.

Hotham/ Falls gives me BC access, more reliable snow and an absence of a massive queue to get up the mountain, the parking is cheaper, and I’m not locked into exxy oversnow - that’s why I drive the extra hours to Falls from Melbourne.

I love Buller on a good day too, but don’t miss it if I don’t ski there....

Looking forward to buying my Merlin Hero pass again for 2019 - it’s been good value.

Looking forward even more to spring skiing on Bogong.... and earning those turns.

Sadie, currawong and Hully like this.
  41. skiflat

Given the choice of any resort seasons pass for 2019 it's still a toss up between Thredbo or Falls/Hotham at this stage since I have no real loyalty to any resort.

Moving forward I'll probably get a season pass every year anyway and it will be the Hero Pass and then just normal tickets for Thredbo and Perisher trips.

$499 for the Spring pass is annoying but it's about 10% of the total spend for the September trips ...

42. currawong

so why get so up tight about it?

Hully likes this.
  43. Hully

Hully One of Us

Doesn't work for you so it is a "FAIL".....mmmmmm not sure if my position is significantly different to yours.

44. Hully

Hully One of Us

Sounds like you didn't get a 2018 pre season cheapest deal pass (regardless of resort or product name) and you're trying to blame your poor decision last October on FCSL.;)

45. Hully

Hully One of Us

Sounds like Merlin have made the right commercial decision..... securing your business for 2019 and offering you a product that delivers you a significant discount for your spring 2018 plans resulting in incremental increased 2018 spring revenue for them. Sounds like a win:win. I'm out of this discussion!

#1195 Hully, Aug 31, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  46. Hully

Hully One of Us

Products like the HERO Pass have become 'loyalty products' similar to frequent flyer programs.....FCSL have elected to reward loyalty more than attract increased sales of a discounted product. Maybe they are happy with the current mix of early bird purchase and focus marketing on attracting increased 'higher yield' customers?

Chaeron, Joe and currawong like this.
  47. Joe

Joe Hard Yards

Good decision skiflat, you'll experience the crowds and growing lift lines in NSW and you'll quickly realise why your Hero pass is much better value. We stayed with friends at Jindy this year and by day two we were over the logistics, much prefer to park my car up and experience village life in a ski in ski out village then commute to perisher or walk and climb stairs in ski boots at Thredbo.

skiflat, Sadie and Hully like this.
  48. Sadie

Sadie Chk Chk Boom

We’ve got a place to stay on hill at Buller if we want, access to cheaper lift tickets, able to avoid the taxi if needed and can avoid the gate entry too....and we still don’t go to Buller.
    I’m happy for the masses to pick up the season pass for Buller and stay away from Falls.

Joe likes this.
  49. Sadie

Sadie Chk Chk Boom

The only thing I think I’m dissappointed with in the last season was the change from the 5 x half price tickets to the 1 x full price ticket. We have a number of friends on this forum that do t get to ski as much as they’d used to and we liked to share the discounts around. Now it’s first in, best dressed.

azzski likes this.
  50. gaz35

gaz35 Addicted

any Northern Hemisphere alignments?