Opinion Falls Creek - Bouquets and Brickbats

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by currawong, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Rimey

Rimey One of Us

Brickbat. Falls Creek shuts Lakeside poma for the season.

No reason. That's it. Stiff sh1t.

jez01, currawong and Slide Sideways like this.
  2. Charlie

Charlie Still the most depraved poster here
    Ski Pass: Gold

Except that interferes with clearing snow from carpark!

Slide Sideways likes this.
  3. Ziggy

Ziggy Renormed

Don't have the depth either.

I drove through at about 8am, saw the mess of water and ice in mid-resort and thought it might cause problems. But not slo-mo slides.

4. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty

It is almost certainly to save money but there may be another reason. Staff retention at end of season is some times an issue. Lots of staff are over it by september and just want to head off to qld or wherever. Some even start the season with jobs lined up for sept.

Good late season snow is great for marketing and can generate extra income but it can mean extra expenses, higher customer expectations and staffing challenges

#1254 currawong, Sep 17, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    Slide Sideways and Charlie like this.
  5. Scott No Mates Ver 1.1

skiflat likes this.
  6. currawong

7. Scott No Mates Ver 1.1

If you look at the visitor numbers, they jumped last year from 7900 to 11000 and this year slipped back to 9800 which is about the level of visitation of the previous years - so fake news. Buller is up 50% on the trend but had a shocker 2 years ago. Hotham has more to worry about on those numbers.

8. willsnow

willsnow Hard Yards

Reversal of Falls Creek Lakeside poma decision

9. rowdyflat

rowdyflat Addicted

Had same problem as the 10th August where the clueless girl at the Howmanns gap entrance station said the same thing ie driver must be over 65 yo so had to swap drivers again.
    This is despite management correcting it.

10. weerab

weerab One of Us

Bouquets to all the Falls Creek staff, shuttle bus drivers, towies etc. Brickbats to the XC skaters who think they are a little better than the rest of us lesser mortals. I am used to a certain level of camaraderie with most touring skiers you meet, you at least say hello to each other. You don't seem to see that so much with skaters esp. the young guys, the girls are more friendly. I was doing the panorama loop today and pulled off the track to have a drink and a Mars Bar. There was a young skater right behind me, he didn't even look over just kept skating as if I was not there. He had a big AUS on his thigh and I thought, you tosser, I am paying taxes so you can live this lifestyle. Anyway, rant over, I had a great couple of days at Falls but little things like this piss me off. It could be a case of, as Steve Coogan said, you become invisible after you turn 60!

Chaeron likes this.
  11. Ziggy

Ziggy Renormed

If he's still on the AusXC team and if he's being supported and if he was in training then maybe he thought it best to have head down and tail up and do what he's there for.

12. weerab

weerab One of Us

He was just cruising, not really putting much effort in.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy Renormed

Right. So he'd encounter a dozen or more folk on a training ski, and you want him to nod and say hello to every one? Cos he's living on their taxes. Maybe stop and chat. 'That Mars bar looks good mate' - something like that?

And of course you're out there when it's fine.
    These guys and gals, living this 'lifestyle', are out there in the cloud and the sleet and the wind and the fog as well, day in day out. Whether they feel like training or not, they train.
    They're bloody athletes - not guest services staff, not recreational skiers, not tourists.

14. currawong

They also get very little from the tax man

15. weerab

weerab One of Us

Sheez, I am really getting hammered on this site today. I probably deserve it but will keep my opinions to myself in future. BTW, I do ski in the rain and do say hello to every XC skier I see regardless of what they are wearing. :)

16. Ubiquitous Steve

Some of the skaters ain’t the brightest folk on the mountain..
    You just learn to ignore them...think of them as rats in a big running wheel.
    All they do is go around and around!:thumbs:

17. currawong

Yeah right.
    The biggest xc club in vic is birkebeiner, based at falls creek/mt beauty. The are seriously interested in xc racing, incuding skating. They have produced many olympians. But they are involved in more than skating. In particular, they work with Bush Search and Rescue, rescuing backcountry skiers who have got into trouble. Some of them have bravery awards for a rescue on Bogong of a group that included a poster on these forums. some of them had the dreadful task of bringing down the bodies of the guys killed up there a few years ago.
    So you can stick your BC self-righteousnes where the sun don't shine, and i don't mean a south facing gully

Ziggy and almontyrat like this.
  18. Ziggy

Ziggy Renormed

Baseless denigration - - - > ignore list.

19. weerab

weerab One of Us

I have great respect for the Birkie guys and girls but I think/ hope Steve is just making a joke!

20. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

The fellers [ and fellerettes] are friendly enough when cruising and playing about but they do seem to be very very focused when training, I seem to remember being similarly focused when I used to run and training for marathons, no excess or reserves to chat or even break my train of thought. I do think Steve was taking the mickey there. But coming back from PV the other day one of them lapped me three times at least between Eagle Rock and Windy Corner, note that I was handicapped by a sled train and 55 kilos of gear; without the handicap I would only have been lapped twice

weerab and currawong like this.
  21. Scott No Mates Ver 1.1

Bouquet - FCSL for the heavily discounted tickets available online
    Brickbat - FCSL only able to get a maximum 3 day pass at these rates
    Bouquet - FC Ski School, after 10 years of instruction, privates etc my kids can now out ski me in most places (Note to self: must get my fitness up).
    Brickbat - My kids who haven't learned to respect their elders and allow me to win going down Summit or anywhere else once in a while :oops:

Slide Sideways likes this.
  22. Ziggy

Ziggy Renormed

The princes depose the old king.
    And on your dime.
    There's indeed no respect for elders any longer :p
    Time to call in the witch to craft some curses ....
    Your ski wax will wear off in ten minutes.
    Scott will halt for half an hour while you swing in the wind.
    There'll be a dozen boarder beginners in the queue in front of you at Lakeside.