1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Opinion Falls Creek - Bouquets and Brickbats

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by currawong, Jul 15, 2015.

1. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

While we complain about people who don't pull over, especially buses, IME it is much worse at Hotham. I imagine that it's not much of an issue on the easy road to Thredbo and ski tube. Don't know about Buller, but suspect that etiquette would be less than ideal

2. Hully

Hully One of Us

Driving the road to Falls a lot I find the Falls Creek Coaches drivers the best of them all and find they will tend to pull over when it is safe.

Pademelon likes this.
  3. Gamera MC

Gamera MC Hard Yards

Clear sky saturday so no surprise to have bulk crowds. Ye old problem of lifties not organising the masses to fill the chairs. Frustrating.

4. currawong

Yes but

They are still the best, but I reckon they are not as considerate as when Pyles owned the buses

FlatLander likes this.
  5. soza

soza One of Us

It was cheap at $64..... Great value, that's why I'm posting about it now as a brickbat because its more than doubled in cost to $138 this season.

6. soza

soza One of Us

I would normally agree, never seen them do this in the past. I was about 5 cars back and at least 3 cars in front of me took the risk of overtaking blind. I know its not as easy to pull a bus over on the way down with limited options on the bottom section but this guy had no interest in even trying.

7. soza

soza One of Us

Saying that a busy day like today I bet the poor bus driver was so over that road. I wonder how many times he had been up and down the hill today, and I imagine always with a view of cars in his rear view mirror.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy Repreived Ski Pass: Gold

At 7.30 this a.m. the skifalls website is still not updated re cameras, snow and weather report.

9. Hully

Hully One of Us

Snow and weather has updated, may have been a bit behind time with Patrol tied up with Vic Pol and the missing person....Patrol initiates most of the base report data. Cams seem to be having a problem updating.

10. Gamera MC

Gamera MC Hard Yards

They might just be warming up for the coincidental "cam offline" that seems to occur when its raining...?

wannaski likes this.
  11. mick chopps

mick chopps Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

just heard about this on the radio... young bloke got drunk and fell asleep in the snow somewhere?

12. Slushii

Slushii Mostly missing in action... Moderator

^^ Found in the village this morning

13. Hully

Hully One of Us

I suggest maybe 'got lucky' and didn't make it home. Funny, if my mates and I that spent a lot of time during our single years in the 80s at Falls called the cops every night one of us didn't make it home, there would have been a missing person search on average 5 or 6 nights a week I would suggest.

FlatLander, Ziggy and mick chopps like this.
  14. FlatLander

FlatLander Addicted

My guess is they were just waiting for Hotham's snow report so that they ensure Falls had an extra cm of "natural snow depth" :out:

Hully likes this.
  15. Ziggy

Oooh, naughty.

16. FlatLander

FlatLander Addicted

17. currawong

Brickbats to FCSL
    I'm hearing bad things about the coffee club deal for parents with kids in ski school. Only 2 instructors assigned to the job. If you don't make it into the top group, based on numbers, not ability , then you can end up skiing mousetrap and drovers. Also one of the instructors isn't actually giving much instruction (but another is said to be great) Not good enough. This program is supposed to attract mums in particular back to skiing but it is pissing people off instead.

18. currawong

Bouquet to FCRM CEO for his email justifying ski patrol involvement in the Bogong rescue.

19. currawong

Sorry, but I really don't believe this happens at falls. They might be slack about fixing cams but I really don't think there is a link to conditions

20. Gamera MC

Gamera MC Hard Yards

Seems to happen when conditions are not ideal, too often to be a coincidence IMO. Maybe the cameras are not waterproof?

21. FlatLander

FlatLander Addicted

agree Currawong, Patrol have always been involved in S&R outside resort boundaries at all resorts. They are equipped for it, are keen to be involved, and the fact that anyone would question their involvement and that the CEO feels he needs to justify their involvement really surprises me. I have always said that I am happy to pay the price of Resort Entry knowing that Patrol are there and ready.

Ziggy likes this.
  22. Ziggy

Brickbat: $5.80 for a double shot capp at Cloud 9 yesterday.
    I hadn't been there for years, this was a reminder as to why.

BilbyBill likes this.
  23. Ziggy

Bouquet:
    The two info booklets, the A4 SkiFalls.com.au and the pocket Insider's Guide.
    High grade info really well presented.
    Would save a newbie a lot of hunting down and still offers an oldie some interesting stuff.

24. snowduck

snowduck One of Us

The annual holiday planner that is distributed across Australia. The 2015 edition has been criticised heavily for some glaring omissions, and having seen the book I can only agree with what others have told me.

Previously, for as far back as I can remember, the guide has always included price scales for all ski passes, lesson , rental and resort entry fees. None of this information appears in the 2015 book.

Now, that isn't info I personally need in a book. I use the internet to keep up to speed with all costs. However, the three reasons for the existence of a printed holiday book are to entice people to visit, provide info of what is on offer, and some idea of costs of the product/services.

That aside, it is a very slick publication

wannaski likes this.
  25. soza

soza One of Us

Bouquet

Falls creak coaches for pulling over to let a few of us pass :)

Unlike the other day where the driver couldn't find anywhere safe from bogong village to the bottom, today we caught up with the bus at ropers lookout and within a minute he made way......totally unexpected, totally appreciated

26. soza

soza One of Us

Bouquet
    My mate was using an old second hand snowboard that he borrowed for his first day on the weekend, lost the bolt for a toe strap on the binding. Dude in the board lounge fixed him up no problem, didn't even charge or take the piss out of the bindings....top fella

27. Sadie

Sadie Chk Chk Boom Moderator

Board lounge are great. We've spent a bit there this year ha ha

Marc8491927 and soza like this.
  28. Ziggy

Maybe not the same. Mine just has the URL as a title. Nothing about holiday planner.
    But no, doesn't have prices (either).
    Does have a ref to a day shelter in QT with free wifi that I wasn't aware of and isn't signposted, not at least from the outside.

Bouquet to Vicroads for signposting the landmarks on the road up. Orbit Corner ... heheh. Cranky Charlie used to amuse us kids no end, way back when.

29. Charlie

Charlie Still the most depraved poster here Ski Pass: Gold

30. soza

soza One of Us

They do some good sales come the end of the season, picked up some burton bindings for $55 last year. Last of the boards were going for around 40% off. Certainly a chilled crew, was a guy passed out on the sofa when i went in a while back.

31. Marc8491927

Marc8491927 Hard Yards

I'll add a bouquet for the Board Lounge crew, had some issues with some brand new goggles this year. Swapped them out no hassle. Plus their pretty knowledgeable on the gear which was a pleasant suprise. The owners should be very happy with their staff.

soza and Sadie like this.
  32. Gamera MC

Gamera MC Hard Yards

Ha, a couple of years ago I was looking at jackets in there, late season, found one with desired features but it was clearly too big. Staff member asked me how it was, I said "its too big" his reply "too big? Or gangsta!"
    Wasn't amused at the time, but in hindsight, got a decent laugh from it! :cheers:

Sadie and soza like this.
  33. weerab

weerab One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

bouquets for the guys at Windy corner cafe, must be the best coffee on mountain. I had great soup there a couple of times for only $6 a cup. it's not fancy but has a great friendly vibe and the Nordic shelter next door is just a great place to have lunch, fix your blisters and just rest up out of the bad weather!

Ziggy likes this.
  34. Rimey

Rimey One of Us

I'd like to see a saw put through those conifers and euro trees in the Village bowl.
    Long before I started posting here, I hated the look of these things when I checked the
    Snow Info snow cams. WTF is wrong with snow gums ?
    <anarchist rant> Either a chainsaw or a cordless drill and a syringe of Roundup would do. <\anarchist rant>

Edgecrusher likes this.
  35. weerab

well, most of the pines in Little Canada have gone. I only noticed a tiny one the size of a Christmas tree. doesn't worry me, I like all trees.

currawong likes this.
  36. snowduck

snowduck One of Us

Nothing. And there are thousands upon thousands of them growing nicely in the region.

Having Euro and Asian trees planted makes for some variety. I had a very sentimental affection for Little Canada

37. snowgum

snowgum One of Us

Euro NorthAm trees give Falls some character & in summer create a cool oasis feeling on a hot day.

Thredbo gains similarly with its imported trees - in fact more so. And I think most folks love the village look and feel at Thredders even if the lowest 200m of the runs are ordinary.

snowduck likes this.
  38. Hully

Hully One of Us

I understand that the removal of the pines in 'Little Canada' was an environmental offset for the native vegetation removal resulting from the building of the MTB tracks.

39. Rimey

Rimey One of Us

Well, I s'pose it is an amusement park when you look at it in it's utilitarian form.
    Don't get me wrong, I like conifers, birches, aspens etc. I love skiing through the forests of 'em.
    But that's in the northern hemisphere, in their natural environment. We have one here too.
    The trees which occur here are snowgums.
    Then again, these introduced trees must help the homesickness of holidaymakers from their suburbs.
    And it is after all, all about tourism.

#139 Rimey, Aug 25, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  40. weerab

the resort is nothing but a bloody great amusement park with great wheels turning, pulling the masses up the hill only to have them ski/ board down to the bottom and then pull them up again etc, etc!

you get a taste of real skiing if you go over the hill away from the industrial mills to experience the solitude and beauty of the natural landscape. a few minutes on the groomed slopes and I just want to get away, especially when they have shit music blasting out of the speakers.

Might as well go to Luna Park or the Medicare IcePAlace or whatever they call it!

Rimey likes this.
  41. Rimey

Rimey One of Us

Missed it :doh: I've quoted " @snowgum " ROFL

42. currawong

detest music on the slopes, if you want music. BYO

43. Ziggy

^^^^ why is it never a cello concerto or an aria? Four Seasons might be apt on some days ;)

Rimey and Towie97 like this.
  44. Gamera MC

Gamera MC Hard Yards

guy had some kind of 'personal' stereo going on on the summit chair Sunday. Seemed to be supplying tunes for his whole crew and anyone else within 20m o_O

45. Conners

Conners One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

As was a guy on Ruined in July, had the speaker/s clipped to his belt :rolleyes:

46. Stratus

Stratus A Local

Brickbat:
    No grooming on Summit or International last night - not even down Village run. Got an answer from mountain ops saying "conditions were not acceptable for grooming". They are certainly not doing themselves favors by neglecting the small amount of "advanced" terrain on the mountain.

#146 Stratus, Aug 26, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  47. Hully

Hully One of Us

Advanced terrain shouldn't require continual grooming, it's part of what makes it advanced. Grooming makes advanced terrain into intermediate terrain. By not grooming when conditions don't suit they are more likely saving the terrain, not neglecting it.

Charlie and currawong like this.
  48. Stratus

Stratus A Local

Grooming advanced terrain makes it intermediate? :clap: Good one.

Today, it needed it. The snow quality is crap. International hasn't been groomed in two days. If there was a legitimate reason that they could not groom at least one north side run i'd be very interested to know.

Smells a bit like mid-week skiers are getting the short end of the stick once again.

49. Hully

Hully One of Us

My point.....The Knolls and Slot groomed is skiable by intermediate skiers, Exhibition left ungroomed is pretty much the same pitch and is advanced skier terrain.

50. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

I often hum Beethoven slow movements in powder. About the right tempo for turns.

Rimey likes this.