Opinion Falls Creek - Bouquets and Brickbats

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
I heard that the reason for roping off under towers was because the clearence above the snow didn't meet an international standard. hopefully they will groom deeper tonight.

some other ropes near chairs might be for the same reason.

Reactions: Ziggy

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Not too many real don'ts this year.
Feathertop restaurant is said to be not good this year. I'm not a fan of jerry's stall or karelia.

Elk is always good. Need to book for dinner but can usually walk in for lunch.

Village shuttle still under resourced and waiting times can be long. Avoid if you can.

Worst crowds are while lessons are on, particularly on Towers and Halleys. Ski early and at lunch time for less crowds. Be prepared to move around for shorter queues. Midweek, summit is rarely bad.

Be friendly, say nice things to lifties, enjoy the more relaxed vibe

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
blue brumby (was Maggie's) and dickie knees are not much good this year. slow service and food nothing to get excited about. cloud 9 and frying pan on the other hand continue to be pretty good after changing management before last season. not cheap but quality and service are good.

nelse is doing lunches this year and said to be good value

Reactions: skiflat and Chaeron

Ziggy

A Local
Aug 24, 2003
For the driver of the black Outback who early this morning went to overtake three of us at the straight by the Bogong Village turnoff, putting life and property at risk like that earned you less than one minute by the top.
Ask yourself whether it was worth it.

soza

One of Us
Jun 15, 2013
Tawonga South
Award for the longest trail of cars behind a bus this season must go to
Adelaide coaches
I was one of 18 cars this morning, well i counted 18 but could have been more.

Reactions: Chaeron

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
not a brickbat but quite disappointing that frying pan inn food is not as good as last year. still quite good but not as exciting as last year. bouquet though for the atomic pale ale.

Stick

Addicted
Apr 11, 2016
Brickbat - Dicky Knees.. 1 person operating the till the same person getting food. Lovely lady talking to everyone and generally in a great mood... But 3 staff out cleaning tables.. 15 minutes to get a can of coke does seem excessive. Another friend lined up for 25 minutes to get a muffin.. I understand somethings take longer, but surely there is a better system when a lot of the food is prepared..

Last edited:

gaz35

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 9, 2013
Brickbat - Dicky Knees.. 1 person operating the till the same person getting food. Lovely lady talking to everyone and generally in a great mood... But 3 staff out cleaning tables.. 15 minutes to get a can of coke does seem excessive. Another friend lined up for 25 minutes to get a muffin.. I understand somethings take longer, but surely there is a better system when a lot of the food is prepared..
reckon dicky knees has gone backwards with both service and food quality. Frying pan been good though

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
frying pan is not quite as good as last year but still pretty good.

the one time I went to dead horse (aka blue brumby) this year it was rubbish. I haven't been to dickie's this year but hear lots of complaints, mainly about very slow service. I've heard particular criticisms of the time wasted trying to get signal for electronic payments

dickie's and brumby were sublet last year from the astra mob who took on all the lift co food & beverage outlets. AIUI one of the people involved in the snack places last year has pulled out and they have gone backwards. Cloud 9 and Fryers are still good

Reactions: Chaeron and gaz35
Jun 25, 2017
Sydney
upload_2019-8-29_0-16-9.png

Need I say more about the juxtaposition of the two adverts on the newsletter?

rowdyflat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2003
Yackandandah NE Victoria
Just bring a packed lunch leave in the car and have the occasional coffee or snack at dicky knees before 11.30 to beat the crowds.
Ski food in Australia was never going to be brilliant , healthy or a reasonable price.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Just bring a packed lunch leave in the car and have the occasional coffee or snack at dicky knees before 11.30 to beat the crowds.
Ski food in Australia was never going to be brilliant , healthy or a reasonable price.
it's hard to get cheap and very good. however there are quite a few opportunities for pretty good and not ridiculously expensive. Elk's express lunch, the bar snacks at Frying Pan (eg nachos), pizza at Cloud 9, karaage chicken at Be Food have all been pretty good value this year IMHO.

Reactions: Ziggy

Ziggy

A Local
Aug 24, 2003
I'm a fan of chips with garlic aioli at Gully Easy Eats ($11) and the toasted egg and bacon roll at the Pass ($10). No idea what value that is since take-away isn't part of my diet at home.

Widemouth

Hard Yards
Sep 4, 2010
Brickbats to Falls Creek coaches for cancelling our booked bus service from Falls Creek to Albury 2 days before the start of our holiday.

The reason given, and I quote:

As per my phone call to you I confirm that we are suspending the 1.30pm service from Falls Creek to Albury

As per our Terms and Conditions “ The Company reserves the right to cancel, postpone or divert any services if necessary.
This decision has been made by our Manager and we apologise for any inconvenience.

We had an expensive non-changeable flight out of Sydney that needed this link to make the connection flight from Albury.

Bouquets to http://alpinetaxi.com.au/ for saving us! While only a little more expensive than the bus, was very comfortable, on time, and reliable. Next time we transit through Albury for a trip to Falls, no way would we try and rely on the bus.

Reactions: FlatLander

Becky

Hard Yards
Jun 11, 2016
Qld
Did they not offer you an earlier departure, we had the same issue of cancelling our 1.30pm bus too, but there was another one departing at 10.40am which we caught?

Widemouth

Hard Yards
Sep 4, 2010
Did they not offer you an earlier departure, we had the same issue of cancelling our 1.30pm bus too, but there was another one departing at 10.40am which we caught?

Yes we were offered that, but all in all, losing that extra 1/2 to 3/4 days skiing up until 1:30pm was a killer considering the overall costs of the whole trip for us. I had already paid for the lift passes.

Reactions: nezumi

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Brickbats to Falls Creek coaches for cancelling our booked bus service from Falls Creek to Albury 2 days before the start of our holiday.

The reason given, and I quote:

As per my phone call to you I confirm that we are suspending the 1.30pm service from Falls Creek to Albury

As per our Terms and Conditions “ The Company reserves the right to cancel, postpone or divert any services if necessary.
This decision has been made by our Manager and we apologise for any inconvenience.

We had an expensive non-changeable flight out of Sydney that needed this link to make the connection flight from Albury.

Bouquets to http://alpinetaxi.com.au/ for saving us! While only a little more expensive than the bus, was very comfortable, on time, and reliable. Next time we transit through Albury for a trip to Falls, no way would we try and rely on the bus.

the previous owner of the bus co world run a service even if only 1 person was booked.
progress :(
we were victims of this practice in the usa with a regional airline

Moondog55

One of Us
Mar 3, 2014
Pedantic button ON
There is no such thing as Garlic Aioli There is Aioli or there is Garlic Mayonnaise.
Pedantic button OFF
If only Windy Corner would serve real chips again I wouldn't bother eating anywhere else.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Pedantic button ON
There is no such thing as Garlic Aioli There is Aioli or there is Garlic Mayonnaise.
Pedantic button OFF
If only Windy Corner would serve real chips again I wouldn't bother eating anywhere else.
Yes. The only flavour for aioli is strong garlic. There can be nice flavoured mayonnaises, but they are not aioli.

Becky

Hard Yards
Jun 11, 2016
Qld
Yes we were offered that, but all in all, losing that extra 1/2 to 3/4 days skiing up until 1:30pm was a killer considering the overall costs of the whole trip for us. I had already paid for the lift passes.
I wish I had known about “Alpine Taxi’s”, I will definitely consider them next time. We also had issues this season with virgin cancelling flights so not meeting the coach (so brickbats to virgin airlines) transfers this year cost us a fortune !

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Bouquets to
BE Foodstore -Staff friendly this year and great coffee

All lifties

Milch - Anytime of the day. Too many good points to mention

Snowclub - The 4 year old is now confident on Highway 83

4 Site staff for the over snow. Amazing crew
Cloud 9 - Pizza

Astra - Epic always

Brickbat to
Elk - The fire never going in the restaurant

Elk Apartment 3 bar - They haven't got a chance against Astra. Poor staff service and no fire. Yeh it feels like New York with their attitude. No wonder it was always empty

Reactions: nezumi

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Yes quite a few reviews saying it was too hot

Same time last year. No fire either

So it's a fail for me

Astra fire always going :)

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
I'd prefer the elk fire wasn't going. it does get hot near it, and can be a bit smokey. i've never been cold in there.
I still like elk, regardless of the fire

Reactions: Sadie

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Yeah took the kids last year with promise of marshmallows in the fire

No fire

Walking past again this year no fire

Fail

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Not saying it's sensational but over many yearsI've found it reliably good with a reasonable sprinkle of very good to excellent.

Yes we walked in and out of Summit Ridge.. despite the positive comments it didn't feel great to us

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
We didn’t eat at Summit Ridge this year. The past two seasons they were great though.
didn't eat there either this year. the person i would normally go there with said it was a different chef this year and had gone a bit more middle eastern - which would would have been fine by me but not her taste
Instead we went to Nelse. Doubt that I will back. My meal was pretty uninspiring, although others were more enthusiastic

Reactions: skiflat

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
didn't eat there either this year. the person i would normally go there with said it was a different chef this year and had gone a bit more middle eastern - which would would have been fine by me but not her taste
Instead we went to Nelse. Doubt that I will back. My meal was pretty uninspiring, although others were more enthusiastic

I liked my Nelse meal but the +1 was not over impressed. Nothing wrong just a bit bland

The Smokehouse was excellent as always

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass