Opinion Falls Creek - Bouquets and Brickbats

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
Bouquet Cloud 9 pizza.

Never thought I'd bouquet Cloud 9!

But it's quiet up here, no problem getting a table at close to midday (upstairs), reasonably fast service and an ok pizza ($20-$25 for a large).

Indeed. It was our easy go to lunch for 2 days.

Share a great pizza and a few glasses of red

Also bouquet to Frying Pan

Great lunch there too on a sunny day

Was half price selected mains on a Wednesday too I believe

Tom from Melbourne

One of Us
Ski Pass
Dec 30, 2017
Brickbat. "Advanced" skiers pushing in front of kids and ski schoolers at the beginner terrain park.

Yes, you can easily slip in and safely slip in a jump or two on the way to the larger medium park at Drovers, but it's rude, sends a really bad message and sets a horrible example for those learning how to park ski.

How do you get a ski patroller to sit there and pull over a few (they weren't listening to the instructors yelling at them)?

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Brickbat. "Advanced" skiers pushing in front of kids and ski schoolers at the beginner terrain park.

Yes, you can easily slip in and safely slip in a jump or two on the way to the larger medium park at Drovers, but it's rude, sends a really bad message and sets a horrible example for those learning how to park ski.

How do you get a ski patroller to sit there and pull over a few (they weren't listening to the instructors yelling at them)?
sadly, ski patrol would not believe it was their job. one of the side effects of patrol not being employed by the lift co

Tom from Melbourne

One of Us
Ski Pass
Dec 30, 2017
Thanks @currawong sounds like a well worn gripe without a simple fix, but out of interest who employs the park maintenance crew; they were out a fair bit today rebuilding the park as the day wore on.

Can they pull a lift pass or they are similar to the instructors and can yell and shout but be ignored?

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
Indeed. It was our easy go to lunch for 2 days.

Share a great pizza and a few glasses of red

Also bouquet to Frying Pan

Great lunch there too on a sunny day

Was half price selected mains on a Wednesday too I believe
Bouquet to Frying Pan - nice lunch yesterday. And also to Cloud 9 - went there for the pizza at lunch today on @Tom from Melbourne ’s recommendation.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Thanks @currawong sounds like a well worn gripe without a simple fix, but out of interest who employs the park maintenance crew; they were out a fair bit today rebuilding the park as the day wore on.

Can they pull a lift pass or they are similar to the instructors and can yell and shout but be ignored?
park maintenance are lift co employees.

they probably could theoretically pull passes. its a long time since i've heard of passes being pulled at falls. it would be for really unsafe behaviour or fraud (eg ticket sharing). No one really polices general safety and etiquette.

I've been threatened by a lift co employee when I was about to cross the ski area boundary but that was ridiculous. you are allowed to ski outside the ski area, you just need to understand that it is not patrolled

Reactions: Chaeron
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

emkae

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 6, 1998
Melbourne
Last day of the season today (in October!). Huge bouquet to the snowmakers for keeping the season going until it actually snowed properly and also to the groomers that provided a lot of skiable terrain and also let me ski back to the Bowl today. Unbelievable job!

Angleski

Hard Yards
Jan 28, 2016
North of Anglesea
We didn't get up to Falls this year as we went to NZ for a ski and general holiday. One difference that stood out was interaction with the lift staff (Coronet Peak and The Remarkables). In recent years the Falls lifties have obviously being trained to greet and talk to everyone. I assume this would have continued this season.

In NZ we kept turning to face the lifties as we were getting on the chair as we were so accustomed at Falls that we would get spoken to. It's not that they were unfriendly as if you said something they would reply, it was just not something they were expected to do.

So a bouquet for the staff and staff training at Falls Creek, it make a difference to the vibe of a resort. Looking forward to getting back to ski-in and out at Falls in 2020.

BilbyBill

One of Us
Apr 27, 2001
Tawonga, Australia.
Bouquets to Falls Creek Management for the xc grooming today, It wasnt a lot but it was great to get out there anyway. Brickbat for the locked Windy Corner shelter and toilets. and the locked toilet near the dam wall.

P9270006.JPG

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Bouquets to Falls Creek Management for the xc grooming today, It wasnt a lot but it was great to get out there anyway. Brickbat for the locked Windy Corner shelter and toilets. and the locked toilet near the dam wall.

P9270006.JPG
who would be cleaning them (covid requirement) if they were open?

Reactions: almontyrat

murph

Hard Yards
Jul 23, 2011
Preston
Great to be on the snow again. Unfortunately a brickbat to all who can't be arsed wearing a mask in the lift queues. It's winter, just have a balaclava, neck gaiter or something. Well it was a nice couple of days skiing before we go back into lockdown again.

Last edited:
Reactions: snowgum

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
who would be cleaning them (covid requirement) if they were open?
Mother Nature, antechinus, foxes or ravens? ;)

Covid aside, Aussie public loos are often pretty bad.
Japan was an eye-opener!
Little old NZ ski areas (valley towns too!) take loo hygene more seriously. Maybe it’s because there’s less trees around the snow towns and it’s colder (squatting?).
Or perhaps they just value tourism more than sloppy old Oz?

Damn Covid I say - strikes in the most unfortunate places! (Services!) :eek:

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Mother Nature, antechinus, foxes or ravens? ;)

Covid aside, Aussie public loos are often pretty bad.
Japan was an eye-opener!
Little old NZ ski areas (valley towns too!) take loo hygene more seriously. Maybe it’s because there’s less trees around the snow towns and it’s colder (squatting?).
Or perhaps they just value tourism more than sloppy old Oz?

Damn Covid I say - strikes in the most unfortunate places! (Services!) :eek:
I think the problem is the tourists. I just don't understand why people trash toilets. Yes Japan, including squat toilets, is an eye opener for so many things wrt respect.

Reactions: Chaeron and snowgum

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
I think the problem is the tourists. I just don't understand why people trash toilets. Yes Japan, including squat toilets, is an eye opener for so many things wrt respect.
There’s a minority who just animals around loos! I can’t speak for ladies - beloved assures me they’re not immune from similar behaviour- if not as often? :rolleyes:

But Covid aside, I have never understood the lack of care by ‘landlords’ in relation to cleaning of toilets and provision of ‘fit for purpose’ facilities.

One cannot claim to be pro tourist, pro visitor or even pro business, without providing decent facilities for their customers - ones that maintained regularly. It is a basic, human need, like eating and sleeping.

We might as well go back to our caves/ trees or put a permanent ban on incoming flights if we can’t provide decent facilities we’re tourists and visitors gather! :mad:

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
There’s a minority who just animals around loos! I can’t speak for ladies - beloved assures me they’re not immune from similar behaviour- if not as often? :rolleyes:

But Covid aside, I have never understood the lack of care by ‘landlords’ in relation to cleaning of toilets and provision of ‘fit for purpose’ facilities.

One cannot claim to be pro tourist, pro visitor or even pro business, without providing decent facilities for their customers - ones that maintained regularly. It is a basic, human need, like eating and sleeping.

We might as well go back to our caves/ trees or put a permanent ban on incoming flights if we can’t provide decent facilities we’re tourists and visitors gather! :mad:
mmm I cannot comment on men's facilities except that urinals, eewwgghh!

women's public toilets are gross, not because they are not cleaned or maintened but because of how people behave. I have never understood why you would think it was ok to spread toilet paper everywhere. Not going further than that.

Personally my choice is to install wall hung toilets with no nooks or crannies for grime to accumulate. But not always an option. Who ever actually designs toilets should be made to clean them. Then they may design them with smooth surfaces, back to wall ones that actually sit properly against the wall, no weird little nooks and crannies etc.

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Have they tied up the loos with tape like a crime scene?Authorities have been outdoing the bears with the use use of “crime scene tape”

• Haha
Reactions: skichanger

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Bears want those taps on mountain huts fixed so patrons can wash hands at least without some industrial dethawing operation!Hooefully high altitude Dunnies are not a crime scene too!

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Bears want those taps on mountain huts fixed so patrons can wash hands at least without some industrial dethawing operation!Hooefully high altitude Dunnies are not a crime scene too!
Yeah maintaining running water in winter where it gets below zero overnight is an issue. The water into our hot water heater freezes 3 or 4 times a year. Lots of possible solutions but all require some equipment of one sort or another.

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Yeah maintaining running water in winter where it gets below zero overnight is an issue. The water into our hot water heater freezes 3 or 4 times a year. Lots of possible solutions but all require some equipment of one sort or another.
Covid may give authorities an incentive to fix Federation Hut Tap and the one at Michelle Hut!

snow drive solutions

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 26, 2019
MELBOURNE
www.snowdrivesolutions.com.au
In order for wheel chains to work effectively they must penetrate into a compacted surface.

Snow chains will grip to the snow/ice but will wear very quickly when they are driven on a bare road. The problem is compounded by the camber of the road, the weight and torque of the vehicle.

Wheel chains need to have firm compacted snow or ice to penetrate to provide the maximum amount of traction. Traction is often lost, wheel slip/spin is experienced, when the snow and/or ice begins to break up and melts. In certain situations the vehicle can slide on the wheel chains especially under braking when driving downhill, as shown in these images from Mount Hotham.

chains on black road.jpg

Reactions: Timmossy

Timmossy

One of Us
Nov 26, 2004
In order for wheel chains to work effectively they must penetrate into a compacted surface.

Snow chains will grip to the snow/ice but will wear very quickly when they are driven on a bare road. The problem is compounded by the camber of the road, the weight and torque of the vehicle.

Wheel chains need to have firm compacted snow or ice to penetrate to provide the maximum amount of traction. Traction is often lost, wheel slip/spin is experienced, when the snow and/or ice begins to break up and melts. In certain situations the vehicle can slide on the wheel chains especially under braking when driving downhill, as shown in these images from Mount Hotham.

chains on black road.jpg
Yep and that’s what happens although assuming that corner is either Dimentina or the one near Baldy which are off camber and notorious for accidents.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
They were directed to fit the chains at the entry station.
pretty sure that @Hully previously said that there are now no chain fitting bays above howmans. with focus on "safety" this means that if chains are needed to get into windy corner you have to fit them at howmans

Every2years

Addicted
Jul 7, 2017
I’m referring to the body which makes an assessment that chains are required to be fitted.

so risk adverse it’s counterproductive.
Entirely predictable unfortunately. With the absolutely relentless campaign that has been waged to persuade authorities about the significant danger to public safety posed by spider chains it is not at all surprising that the end result is an over reaction toward a risk averse position with regards to snow chain use in general. With so much noise that a particular type of snow chain is the only way to make mountain roads safe it is entirely predictable that the threshold to trigger implementing that safety measure lowers; possibly to the point that it actually becomes counter productive.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Entirely predictable unfortunately. With the absolutely relentless campaign that has been waged to persuade authorities about the significant danger to public safety posed by spider chains it is not at all surprising that the end result is an over reaction toward a risk averse position with regards to snow chain use in general. With so much noise that a particular type of snow chain is the only way to make mountain roads safe it is entirely predictable that the threshold to trigger implementing that safety measure lowers; possibly to the point that it actually becomes counter productive.
and "safety" is more about protecting organisations from liability than protecting the public from injury

Xplora

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 7, 2015
and "safety" is more about protecting organisations from liability than protecting the public from injury
but in fact it opens those responsible for the decision open to public liability if the incorrect decision is made and people get hurt. It is a lose-lose situation. The person making the decision is expected to have some level of skill to determine if it is safe to proceed with or without chains. If that decision is made and it is wrong there may be repercussions and that goes for a direction to fit chains when clearly not necessary. Certainly a hard call to make when it is a line ball decision but not when there is no snow or ice on the road. The Road Management Act prohibits the use of chains when there is no direction because they damage the road surface and people cannot refuse the direction of an authorised officer. Individuals will no doubt be protected from liability but not management boards. Very difficult. The management board needs to formalise an S.O.P.

Reactions: currawong

TinkyH23

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2008
Macedon Ranges, Victoria
Bouquet.

Falls Creek Country Club, already responded to lockdown extension absolutely true to their covid policy.

My booking returned and ready for use as a credit (my preferred option, hopefully I can use it in Sep).
That's great to hear.
Not everyone happy with them lately.
Have friends who booked a last minute long weekend just recently with them.
Only after their credit card was charged did they discover that FCCC have closed Restaurant, Pool and Spa and changerooms/toilets and storage facilities.
Gully chair also not running again which totally isolated them in terms of ski in/ski out.

Reactions: Tom from Melbourne

Tom from Melbourne

One of Us
Ski Pass
Dec 30, 2017
That's great to hear.
Not everyone happy with them lately.
Have friends who booked a last minute long weekend just recently with them.
Only after their credit card was charged did they discover that FCCC have closed Restaurant, Pool and Spa and changerooms/toilets and storage facilities.
Gully chair also not running again which totally isolated them in terms of ski in/ski out.
Yep, without Gully is it very hard.

In last year's 4 day season we took to getting the car and driving up to Plaza each day with our gear (as shuttle bus was out as well).

Hopefully next year the pool and spa come back - I know the Falls Creek Hotel had their pool open last season - but not sure about this year.

Edit: completely agree re storage and change room. Makes bumping in and out much harder.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass