1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Opinion Falls Creek - Bouquets and Brickbats

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by currawong, Jul 15, 2015.

1. gaz35

gaz35 One of Us

lefties with attitude, angry bar staff - sounds like it is getting to the end of a long season for a few of the workers

2. Kadelaide

Kadelaide Hard Yards

Bouquets to the awesome Guest Services Green Jackets, a number of whom I have seen recently gently persuading guests to leave skis/put them on in areas away from the entry to the lift queue and also getting them to move skis/boards from the high use area. Brickbats to the Lifties who the think that this does not apply to them!

Sadie, Pademelon, Ziggy and 1 other person like this.
  3. Kadelaide

Kadelaide Hard Yards

Bouquets to the Snowboard Instructor whom I witnessed - with my own ears and eyes - explaining to the group not to put the boards on whilst spread out ACROSS the bottom of the lift/top of slope. It was great to know that these lessons are being taught. Well done.

Sadie, Pademelon, Ziggy and 2 others like this.
  4. Hully

Hully One of Us

Brickbats.....

Resort Management - after spruiking about belt tightening, responsible budget management and cost cutting, having 2 booths of the Resort Entry box open and manned this Friday, Saturday and Sunday when there are (and historically so) bugger all visitors, with many having Season Passes now anyway, is just taking the p155 and thumbing your nose at those that lost their jobs. No hope of the cost of Resort Entry going down with this happening!

To the FCRM Board Member who insists on doing all of his freeskiing in his canary yellow corporate jacket with his name tag pinned to his chest (that's at least 2 holes in the Goretex membrane)....mate nobody cares less who you are or thinks you're important. Buy yourself a jacket and free ski in your own gear like everybody else who works there does.

5. Hully

Hully One of Us

Is there any other type?

6. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

right-wingers with attitude?

Sadie likes this.
  7. Sadie

Sadie Chk Chk Boom Moderator

In the '80s it was all about N.W.A

Hully likes this.
  8. Sadie

Reading this, I am picturing

NjB likes this.
  9. wannaski

wannaski One of Us

Another grumpy lifty on lakeside Poma this morning - starting to be a bit of a pattern here . Early this arvo maybe 2 - 2.30 ish was skiing towards the line and a teenage snowboarder had just fallen trying to get on Poma . The lifty ( Ben I think his name was ) told him that's his second go one more try then he had to walk across to towers lift . His friend managed to get on but fell just up the mountain and the other young guy fell on his third attempt . So he actually made them walk across . It was absolutely dead and there was no line and no one waiting . I went up and then was really annoyed with myself for not saying anything to him . I kept looking back and watching and there was maybe two people behind on Poma's with like 10 empty and these two teenagers tracking there boards across to towers . I seriously don't get how this is deemed acceptable ! It taints a fantastic day on the snow !
    Every other lift I have been on and even monkey bar has had great and friendly lifties !!

10. Sadie

I don't know how they are expected to learn if they are not allowed to on a day where it is quiet. As for that Monkey Bar trainer poma thing, any learner deserves a medal if they can ride that thing. I can ride poma's and t-bars no problem and can even self load but that Monkey Bar is terrible. What is with the bendy pole?? It also goes so slow that I think it makes riding it harder.
    Poor guys.

wannaski likes this.
  11. BilbyBill

BilbyBill One of Us

Shamefull. How else are they to get the hang of it? Lifties at Falls are usually terrific. This guy has been there too long.

Pademelon and wannaski like this.
  12. Charlie

Charlie Still the most depraved poster here Ski Pass: Gold

I would agree, I haven't been to Falls for many years, but the lifties were ALL exceptional
    This guy definitely needs to go!
    Hopefully management are reading this,and have enough info to recognise him!

Pademelon and wannaski like this.
  13. currawong

the practice used to be to give people a few goes then send them to the back of the queue. they may get sick of a long queue and decide to walk to towers instead

the only reason to limit tries is to make sure other skiers and boarders are not held up too much

i don't think i've ever heard anyone being told they can't have any more goes. i hope this a rogue towie rather than a merlin policy

wannaski and Sadie like this.
  14. weerab

weerab One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I was skiing up to Mt McKay last Friday when I was passed by Ski Patrol on a skidoo. Nothing unusual about that but there was a guy on pillion and one being towed on a rope a la waterskiing. They went right up the south face then the pillion and the towee skied down the shoulder and right down into the gully to the right of the face.

The guy on the skidoo then went down to retrieve the other two. They did this a few times as I was skiing up to the summit.

Must say it looked like fun, certainly the fastest ski tow I have ever seen, but they couldn't exactly say it was a training exercise!

15. Sadie

We saw this too @weerab . We think they must do this on the weekdays when things are slow as we saw them both on the Friday and the Tuesday.

16. BilbyBill

BilbyBill One of Us

We saw one snowmobile and a towed skier out on Rocky Knolls last Wednesday.

17. Sadie

I want a snowmobile

wannaski likes this.
  18. Conners

Conners One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I want you to drive said snowmobile so I can do laps of Rocky Knolls :thumbs:

Sadie likes this.
  19. Sadie

Maybe we could have a ski.com.au snowmobile?

wannaski, soza and Conners like this.
  20. BilbyBill

BilbyBill One of Us

From the Falls Creek Snow Mobile Manual, issued by FCRM. "Snowmobile permits are issued on the basis of a demonstrated and justifiable need. Use of a snowmobile must be essential to the applicant’s business."

21. Hully

Hully One of Us

Falls Creek Ski Patrol are now regularly providing a back/side country report so could have been assessment. As McKay is in resort boundary they have also regularly made assessments for opening the terrain for the commercial back country tours.

currawong and BilbyBill like this.
  22. Charlie

aaaaaand, it's good fun!

Hully likes this.
  23. DbSki

DbSki Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

For ski com tours.
    Ill drive, got a full MC licence.
    Hang on tight.

24. Sadie

I'm happy for you to drive @DbSki

25. Karicta

Karicta A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I want that job

26. weerab

Fair enough, I also guess it's good training for skiing off piste when they are looking for lost skiers.:)

27. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Well done, weerab! Good effort to get out there again. Wish I had been able to join you. Took the missus down the coast instead. Now the season looks to be almost over. A short one, but some great days.

28. weerab

yes, I think that might be it for me. it has been a good season with some brilliant snow but does feel short, I think I started late July so that's only six weeks or so!

must thank your good self and Ziggy for good company on some of the little tours that we did. It's certainly not the same by yourself, I don't think.

looking for a new hobby now, might get into bike riding. my son bought a Malvern Star Oppy bike and doesn't use it, very light, good training for next season!

29. chriscross

Jane is still suggesting that something good is possible early next week, so I'm not giving up (yet) on at least one last ski this year. Take care with that cycling- very vulnerable. I would strongly recommend staying on dedicated cycle tracks.

On the topics of FC Bouquets and Brickbats, I was very impressed with the CEO's handling of my problems regarding a Season Pass and All Resorts Pass which arrived rather late. They have sent me a voucher which grants me a similar pass next year. So, bouquets, a great outcome which restores my faith in the administration.
    The downside, however, in fine print at the bottom, states,' This voucher cannot be redeemed online.' Instead, I have to present it at FC Resort Management. This to redeem an All Resorts Pass. Look, I love an excuse to visit FC, so the first decent snowfall of next season should find me headed up there. But should there be an early season dump at Buller/Stirling, BB or even LM, I don't have a pass, at least until I make the trip to FC. It's hardly a cause for a brickbat, but it's a condition that I was not anticipating.

Kadelaide likes this.
  30. weerab

I haven't put my skis away either but I don't really fancy a trip up the Hume again, although I could use the excuse that I need to do more chainsawing! I cut down a couple of pesky willows last week but one was a bit big to do on my own. I thought if I stuff up I could end up dying a lonely death! The tree is about 5cm away form a nice Gum and needs to go. My neighbour in Mt Beauty had a huge gum on the other side of the creek fall across his property and just about wreck his garden. Apologies for hijacking Falls Creek post.

31. Ziggy

Ziggy Repreived Ski Pass: Gold

It's a platen isn't it? Snaps forward when the cord runs out.

32. Sadie

No idea. It is horrible whatever it is.

33. chriscross

Issue sorted, according to email. Impressive executive action.

Sadie likes this.
  34. Charlie

Did you have to complain, or did 'they' see it on here?

35. chriscross

It's possible, Charlie, that someone up there keeps a bit of an eye on a site like this. Just possible.

36. Charlie

Ya reckon?

37. Hully

Hully One of Us

Open honest contribution would be nice, as opposed to just subversive surveillance.....followed up with punishment of those that are seen as voicing an opinion that is even slightly critical of the organisation.

#237 Hully, Sep 17, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  38. Hully

Hully One of Us

Maybe everybody who had their Early Bird purchased Resort Entry pass delivered late or were forced to pick it up from the admin office should post on here in order to also receive a complimentary pass for next season? I think that @chriscross is just one of many impacted.

39. Gamera MC

Gamera MC Hard Yards

Had a good couple of chats to them on Saturday at Mckay, Can't blame them for having some fun patrolling the boundaries in the quiet time of year. They certainly deserve to get some enjoyment out of it while there's not an endless supply of punters to be scooped up/taken away. :thumbs:

Sadie, weerab, Hully and 1 other person like this.
  40. Hully

Hully One of Us

Waste Watch - both Resort Entry booths open and manned Sat and Sun morning with visitation being a little above zero. Can never expect the cost of Resort Entry to go down with this level of wasteful spend....they are just taking the p155 I expect.

41. DbSki

More of an issue with the parking control is them instructing people to put the sticker on the RHS of the windscreen.
    I put my in the middle behind the rear view mirror, due to the size of it placing it anywhere else on the windscreen could be deemed as obstucting vision and I could be fined for it and they car would be legally unroadworthy until the obstruction was removed.

Day 1 Wed the young Aussie girl looked at it and waved up through.
    Day 2 we had a US or Canuck girl who made a point to telling me I should put the decal on the RHS of the windscreen, which would make the car unroadworthy with a clear obstruction of the driver windscreen.
    I replied, "well they should have said something yesterday but didnt so it stays where it is." and she didnt argue the point.

If you drive back to the city with it and a cop books you and you say FC told me to put it there, they will tell you that its your car and you are responsbile for it being roadworthy, and here's your fine, have a nice day.

42. gaz35

gaz35 One of Us

seems ludicrous in this day and age that they have a sticker system

Sadie likes this.
  43. DbSki

Yeah it does, but it's Australia and things take a bit longer.
    Bob's our Uncle.

44. Conners

Low tech is sometimes the most cost efficient option, at least in the short-med term.
    I would imagine FCRM doesn't really have a team of sticker lickers that anything more complex would eliminate.

45. DbSki

Wages are the most significant cost for most business and if you pay them more than the profit they make for you then you are running a loss.

46. Conners

True, I was really thinking that changeover is predominantly a couple of days a week. It doesn't take a single person long to whip around the car park and look at the windscreens a day or so after those changeover days, the point I was making is that the payback period in all likelihood is quite long.

47. DbSki

I would have thought if the RFID can work through the gate then it could register cars leaving the mountain too, showing the cars remanning.
    And a vehicle could use a portable scanner to do drive past checks of cars, means they can read them if there is snow or sleet on cars windscreens or at night easily..

48. Conners

I reckon you would be dead right as well, though I would probably go for number plate cameras/software if I were to choose. I only question the payback period it would require :thumbs:

49. currawong

i spoke to someone who worked at fcrm when hotham brought in their paperless system. their analysis at the time (no idea how thorough) said it wasn't worth it. hotham was different because of the through road.

there are people checking cars at falls for valid tickets. it's not a big use of labour, and it's outsourced

Conners likes this.
  50. wannaski

wannaski One of Us

Friday was our last day and we had a family day skiing . The lifties on ruined castle & scotts were amazing ! Had my 7 year old with me and everytime we went to get on lift they asked if we would like it slowed down ! :)

Pademelon likes this.