1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Opinion Falls Creek - Bouquets and Brickbats

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by currawong, Jul 15, 2015.

1. BillyKidd

BillyKidd One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

...as they should be doing by default, but good to see they are doing it nonetheless.

wannaski likes this.
  2. Gamera MC

Gamera MC Hard Yards

Falls Creek website has alot less webcams to look at? 6 to choose from atm. Atleast they just removed the other ones from the page and they are not shown as 'offline' :whistle:

3. Hully

Hully One of Us

Check them out here..... http://www.skifalls.com.au

Gamera MC likes this.
  4. Gamera MC

Gamera MC Hard Yards

5. Hully

Hully One of Us

Just another example of the confusion of Falls Creek having two digital marketing presences. The cams are all Ski Lift's (skifalls), RMB just takes the feed of a small number of the cams.

Karicta likes this.
  6. Hermannator

Hermannator One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

7. Sadie

Sadie Chk Chk Boom Moderator

BRICKBAT: Pleeeeeassssseeee I wish someone would put some signs up or tell people to move away from the unload area!! People stand there and have a chin wag instead of moving away to the side.

8. Hully

Hully One of Us

Not going to change I'm sorry @Sadie .....you should try negotiating the unloads with somebody in a sit ski! It's the same as the 'experienced skier parents' who lead their kids across directly below the Towers unload as they are moving from Cloud 9 to Main Street area. If people that should know better can't model the right behaviour how can we expect newbies to learn the proper etiquette?

9. Ziggy

Ziggy Repreived Ski Pass: Gold

Put on some armour and lead with your shoulder.

Beerman and Edgecrusher like this.
  10. Ziggy

Seriously - we XCers see it on groomed trails, esp towards the end of the day homeward bound. You get a group spread over the whole track and you're flying down towards them. I tuck in and yell 'Track'. Works every time.

11. Sadie

We had a great example of behavior at the top of Eagle on Saturday. Came off the chair and standing in the unload area was a family (with some extras, who knows) standing around having a chat and a take in of the view. I just avoided mum and +1 trying to avoid me who was trying to avoid mum, may or may not have ran across the back of the skis of dad.
    Now, +1 can say things before he thinks and basically said that standing in the unload area was not a great idea, with some other mumblings ;)... well, dad puffed up like a rooster ready for a cock fight, had a bit of a disco dance whilst trying to get out of his skis and came charging at us.. (this I might add was one of the funniest things I have ever seen and couldn't help but laugh at until) ... he gave +1 a bit of a shove in the chest (+1 was still strapped in his board) and then started ranting and raving and waving his arms about yelling that he was going to smash +1's face in. Mum had a bit of a yap as well like a little Chihuahua.
    I think dad was rethinking his reaction though when he realised that +1 was a fair bit taller than him and had a longer arm span.

If that is the type of behavior thay had no hesitation in displaying in front of their children, then I have zero hope for any snow etiquette and therefore should not surprised that they were standing where they were :(

#261 Sadie, Jul 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  12. Ziggy

Yeah. Pathetic really. But not everyone's a power freak.

Sadie likes this.
  13. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Now this is why skiing is better than boarding......you have these things called stocks, very handy in this situation!:D
    Seriously, tell him to take it up with Ski Patrol, standing around the dowload area of a ski lift is plain stupid.

14. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates One of Us

I'd like to throw a brickbat at all those bods who don't form 4's on the lift line - if there's a queue, don't waste a chair. :blb:

(I am becoming a grumpy old man & enjoying it).

leigh the noob, Hully and Sadie like this.
  15. Sadie

And there isn't a whole lot of room around the Eagle unload :rolleyes:
    I was looking around for Ski Patrol and it was a shame that we didn't have the GoPro recording at the time (for the disco dancing mostly ROFL)

Rimey and Apresski like this.
  16. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Many years ago I broke my wrist getting off that lift, when a rather large man lost control as he got off the lift and decided to fall on me!

17. Slushii

Slushii Mostly missing in action... Moderator

Why can't the lifties just move people on? they do that in some places? Just a word or a gesture etc.

People respond better to someone in a uniform, rather than another rider/skier telling others to move on (generates incidents such as the above).

Had it resorted into fisticuffs or worse, nobody wins!

I know the resort management monitors the forums - take note then... Resorts have a duty of care towards its customer to provide a safe place to ski, ride, unload etc etc etc.

leigh the noob and Sadie like this.
  18. Hully

Hully One of Us

Could have been posted straight to Jerry of the Day.

mick chopps likes this.
  19. Sadie

Bouquets to the lifty handing out the poma's at Lakeside on Saturday. She handed them out really steady and was really helpful to beginners.

20. soza

soza One of Us

Now its getting busy we have had a few mentioning parking issue.

Here is mine from the weekend.....
    We arrived after 2:30 on Saturday just to have a few quick laps, eat and then night board.
    Saw a couple of car parking sport at International car park but ideally wanted to be near FX for night boarding so continued up. Lucky enough found the last free car space but as I'm reversing in a dude on his mobile is stood in the way waving his arms about saying he was saving the spot for a mate??
    WTF!....I did say you cant do that otherwise we all would and it would be chaos but he was carrying on like I'm the one in the wrong.
    I park up and get out just as his mate is driving into the car park....they all start chuntering and pulling faces so I walk over to see the driver to tell him there is spaces down the bottom and I'm sure plenty up at windy. He`s having none of it and basically spits the dummy.
    I'm not going to argue in front of my kid....and I don't want come back to a keyed car so I drive off and give him the space. Off I go up to windy and take my pick of 10 firkin free car spaces.

Then thanks to all this I loose my 9 year old on the last run because I turn off for windy and he follows wombats to the bottom. I hang about a bit then drive down and hes nowhere to be seen....he walked back up the slope so we missed each other. Ends up with me ...in the early stages of panic!, alerting staff for a search. Luckily falls creek transport guys find him and bringing him down to the cop shop.

So to the entitled d##k head who thinks he owns the car park, thanks for the evenings drama and the new grey hairs.

Sadie and Apresski like this.
  21. Sadie

Oh you have no idea. I'm still smiling about it. I had the circus theme playing in my head.

22. Hully

Hully One of Us

This has been frustrating me no end over the past couple of weeks. Fortunately there were very few queues of significant length. Apart from sometimes on Towers there has been no control of singles queues....they have just become express/pushin queues.

23. Hully

Hully One of Us

She was doing a stellar job with presentation and launch. IMO she was being too helpful to beginners for a lot of the time. Too often she would leave her post and walk over to help them up, then she would have them shuffle back up the load ramp to try again. In this time she missed out on loading at least 10 sticks (about 1/3 of the lift queue) on a busy day.
    It is an intermediate lift, what she needs to do is observe that they are alright and clear of the track and direct them to cut into the ski school entry and try again....then continue loading sticks. Everybody is safe and sound, the person having trouble gets to cut back into the line only about 4 people back from where they were and have a chance to settle themselves before trying again....importantly loaded sticks keep going up the line and the queue keeps moving.

24. mick chopps

mick chopps Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

If you can ride the terrain there's no excuse not to be able to ride the lift to use it, POMA included.

Edgecrusher likes this.
  25. Conners

Conners One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Not a troll but +1 and I are fine to ride separate chairs so use the single queue quite often. We've always seen it as being ok as the number of 2's and 3's the lifties allow was annoying.
    Bit of a grey one I would've thought

Hully and Sadie like this.
  26. Sadie

You may have been in the queue when I was ROFL
    I was going to add to my post, how many stacks is considered too many before you have to walk to Towers?

27. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates One of Us

I did find the queue on Lakeside a bit tiresome - constantly stopping etc esp. late on Saturday arvo. I mostly gave it a miss if I could see that there was a long queue over the days it was running and scoot over to Towers (erk - even more people) or a push to Scotts.

@Conners - I second the singles line as the expressway, my kids can't be bothered waiting for me to catch up so get up for another run as quickly as. As long as I know which part of the mountain they're skiing, it's fine.

Conners likes this.
  28. weerab

weerab One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

It's downhilll skiing it brings out the worst in people. you have to take up XC for a more Zen experience! :)

29. Hully

Hully One of Us

@Conners and @Scott No Mates the situations that you are describing are not something that I am criticising, this is exactly what the singles queue is for and use it the same often myself. My issue is with people sliding down the singles queue and not making up full chairs but pushing through regardless, often getting to the gates as a single or just joining up with their 3 mates behind them in the singles queue to make up a chair of their own. So many times I saw singles pushing through into a group that was already 4 and then loading by themselves when stranded alone at the gates.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  30. Conners

Conners One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Agree, not cool

31. Hully

Hully One of Us

Tell that to the emergency responder on snowmobile a couple of years back that had a cross country skier start belting into them with their ski pole because they didn't like the fact that they were on a snowmobile!!!!

32. Sadie

This drives me nuts

Hully likes this.
  33. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates One of Us

I have seen the error of my ways - I will seek out the XC Team. Maybe not straight away but in spring upon my return :)

34. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates One of Us

I saw plenty of boarders having difficulty with the Inter poma on Saturday - each was being lifted unceremoniously off the ground then neatly dumped in a crumpled heap a few metres away.

Not the easiest lift for boarders.

qwill, Sadie and Hully like this.
  35. weerab

weerab One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

there's always a few idiots around! I skied from Falls to Mt Nelse on AT gear years back and was berated by a young XC tourer lass who said that my gear was out of place in the backcountry (she was correct for the BHP).
    come to think of it, I was well ahead of my time, using AT gear in 1985 or thereabouts! I saw it in 1984 in Austria and was quite surprised to be able to buy some gear in Melbourne.

36. cqen2l

cqen2l Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Hehe, love the way that thing tosses out undesirables. Skiers and boarders alike.

Edgecrusher and Karicta like this.
  37. snowduck

snowduck One of Us

That's entertainment.

Then they shuffle back to the end of queue. Eventually to arrive at the front of the queue. Liftie hands them the pole, they grasp the pole ... and splat ! ... down they go and spread out flat on the snow

That's the encore

Edgecrusher, Karbon and Sadie like this.
  38. Karicta

Karicta A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I love inter

May she never change (although I'd take a few less breakdowns)

Charlie, Karbon and Scott No Mates like this.
  39. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates One of Us

@Karicta - the last thing you'd want is more people in the Maze.

Karicta likes this.
  40. gaz35

gaz35 One of Us

there are some d@#kheads around soza. An idea for next time invest in some walkie talkies. used them with my kids and averted the odd lost child situation

soza and Sadie like this.
  41. Karicta

Karicta A Local Ski Pass: Gold

!!

42. Sadie

This is me..although not the falling part (ok, maybe sometimes). I am only 5'0" tall and I always get lifted into the air. I get lifted off the ground sometimes at Lakeside. You just have to expect it and hope that you land straight. I get air where the poma crosses the trails and I get whiplash around the top corner. I just try to hold on and hope for the best.
    I call it Australia's only Triple Black run.

qwill likes this.
  43. Beerman

Beerman One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

International. Best Poma in Falls and probably best Poma in Aus. Awesome when its on, not just for ejecting substandard riders

44. Charlie

Charlie Still the most depraved poster here Ski Pass: Gold

Marvellous watching the kids get air on the left hand bend!

Pollo_ski likes this.
  45. FatBoyDave

FatBoyDave One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I dislike the nutcracker.

46. Sadie

Ahem @Charlie It's not only kids :cry:

Pollo_ski likes this.
  47. gettingtooold

gettingtooold One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

The turn has caught me unawares. First time skis well off the ground, second time disembarked just after the turn, took off my skis and knelt on the ground for a fair while with my eyes watering and feeling quite ill. It is a great lift 'though.

#297 gettingtooold, Jul 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  48. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates One of Us

The last time my kids got air on the inter was when they were 5. They had no problems whatsoever last week.

49. Charlie

Charlie Still the most depraved poster here Ski Pass: Gold

OK, kids and little people?

50. Sadie

Yeah depends on the amount of snow on the track. There are probably only 2 weeks of the season where I don't get air