1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

News Falls Creek Day Parking

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by Hully, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Hully

Hully One of Us

Just a heads up for those that ski Falls using day parking....there has been some significant changes to what were day parking spaces on the south side (Village Side) of the BHP Road. This includes a high reduction in the number of spaces available for day parking. The message is get up there early to secure a space (day parking is already difficult to find pretty early in the day on most high season weekends already) and check signage before you park to avoid a fine.

2. BilbyBill

BilbyBill One of Us

Great.

Hully likes this.
  3. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Tree change?

4. weerab

weerab One of Us

I guess windy corner cp will get a lot busier!

5. Hully

Hully One of Us

No.

6. ocker

ocker Hard Yards

So less parking for day visitors, does this mean that prices are going to be reduced for day visitors?. Parking, cross country trails and day shelter is about all I use. I do not go up to Falls Creek to sit on the bog, ride around in the shuttles, use the village roads, or use the information services, have not used ski patrol in 30 years. If you are going to cut back on one of the few facilities I use I think I am entitles to a price reduction. Sound Fair?

7. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Don't use cleared road, groomed trails, water loo and bin in the shelter and swear you'd rather die than be rescued by ski patrol?

Hully and currawong like this.
  8. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

It really pisses me off when they reduce day parks our make them further away, but I don't think you can argue that day visitors don't use resort facilities.

IMHO falls still has the best day car parking of any of the majors. Unless you are late on a busy weekend, it is a very short walk from car to lift (or xc trail head)

9. ocker

ocker Hard Yards

Currawong, I agree that Falls has had the best day parking, but lets not loose the advantage. I don't argue that day visitors don't use resort facilities just that parking is more important to them and a lot of other village services more important to people staying on mountain are not so important to day visitors. FCRM shouldn't take away the most important facilities for day visitors and expect to charge the same.
    Ziggy steady on. Where did I say I did not want to pay for any of those things you list. I just said if they are going to reduce the key service to day visitors it would be fair to charge less. And by the way in just about anywhere else in the world, the grooming of trails, the day shelters and ski patrol are paid for by the lift company (resort licensee) not sure about the roads I think it varies between lift company and municipality.

10. ocker

ocker Hard Yards

A large chunk of the day parking on the lift side of the BHPR at Halleys was taken for St Falls and a big area of the Gully day car park is taken by a helliport that almost no one uses. If the people staying off mountain don't stand up for themselves they will continue to be treated as second class and loose more parking.

TinkyH23 likes this.
  11. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

the main reason for the heliport is ambulance. pretty hard to argue against.

I agree that it stinks that we lost so much parking for St Falls.

you are saving money now on trail fees, pretty to hard to argue for a reduction in car parking too.

but I agree that we need to be vocal about threats to day parking.

Hully likes this.
  12. Hully

Hully One of Us

The Lift Company does pay for all of the grooming of lifted terrain (the grooming paid for by RMB is purely for Nordic Skiers) and also pay a huge wad of money for Ski Patrol. You might not, but heaps of day visitors use RMB services such as courtesy transport, shuttles within the resort, grooming and maintenance of toboggan slope....and then of course snow clearing of the road....but that's another story after today.

13. VSG

VSG Crayon Master Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Catch a bus from Mt Beauty. I have, several times. Way useful. No driving with fwits up the mountain road, no chains, no park entry. Bus fare works out well.

14. Hully

Hully One of Us

From what I have experienced over the past couple of days, and particularly last night, there needs to be a major marketing push to get more people onto buses. Eg people turning up 10pm at night in the middle of a snow storm with no chains for the high end 2WD BMW (found them sideways across the road on my way home from work) and no Alpine Diesel in the Porsche Cayenne.

15. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve A Local Ski Pass: Gold

They need signs up at Mt Beauty telling diesel owners to make sure they have alpine diesel or a diesel thinner added...
    Yes they should know but they stuff up all the time...Chains/Diesel/

16. BillyKidd

BillyKidd One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Completely agree Hully - a decent bus services would be a real value add to the ski hills. There used to be very good regular services out of Melbourne, Adelaide, Wangaratta, Harrietville, Bright etc but that fell off over the years (especially as the roads were sealed). That sort of service from the main towns is useful. Locally, having off-mountain parking with a regular service would be ideal, though it needs to be 3 - 4 times a day or have an AM and PM service (main) with smaller shuttles to back the service up.

It would reduce parking congestion, reduce damage to vehicles, lower costs, arguably make it safer and could take you straight to the o/snow or village shuttle.

Hully likes this.