Falls Creek Development

shadow1

Hard Yards
Apr 23, 2008
I'm Wondering if there any new lifts or snowmaking planned at Falls Creek especially in the Mt McKay kat ski area?

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.
www.australianmountains.com
Sorry shadow, it looks like the next lift at Falls will be a Lakeside Chairlift, not on Rocky Knolls, Damsite Hill or Mt McKay.
frown.gif

I hate it when they replace a perfectly good (and much loved) Poma with a chairlift when the money could be spent much more wisely on opening up new terrain.
tantrum.gif

In the last 15 years Falls Creek has massively reduced the area seved by lifts by removing Village, Headwaters and Big Dipper.

List of all Falls Creek lifts. http://wikiski.com/wiki/index.php/Australian_ski_tow_directory#Falls_Creek

Last edited by a moderator:

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.
I hear that both Wangaratta S.C. (who have two nutcracker tows on Mt St Bernard) and the Rover Chalet (who have a tow on the Bogong High Plains) have been sniffing around Falls Creek, trying to find out if and when they are replacing Lakeside Poma with a quad.

The gossip says that they are finally ready to replace their nutcrackers with Pomas.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
bogong, I'm not saying that pulling out lifts is a good thing, but the reduction of lift serviced area from removing village is zero, and big dipper not much, especially if you are prepared to skate a little. headwaters removal certainly did cut lifted terrain, but they'd pretty much destroyed the area already by turning the great beginners runs into an under-utilsed park

ausi ski bum

A Local
Jan 1, 1970
Near Cootamundra NSW
Currawong I believe the Headwater area was closed for insurance reasons, once Link lift was removed encouraging beginners up there was a bad idea as there was no easy way back down.

It never worked as a terrain park area due to the high winds and snow drifts that were common up there.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
so they should have left link lift and headwaters there as beginner areas.

i loved taking beginners there on a nice day, and they had a great time there, and enjoyed the adventure of getting there and back.

Apresski

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I know that the Village run is still able to be accessed by the Summit chairlift, but when it's too windy over the back I thought it was pretty handy to have the Village T-bar which is often sheltered.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

ausi ski bum

A Local
Jan 1, 1970
Near Cootamundra NSW
One day shadow, I believe the way to increase patronage is to stop the outflow to other resorts once they become advanced skiers is to open up the McKay and Rocky Knoll areas.

They still have the permits for Rocky Knolls and Damsite and McKay remains in the ski resorts boundry.

snowduck

One of Us
Dec 30, 2004
Adelaide
Is my understanding here correct ?

I believe it was the Kennett Liberal Government who actually gave approval for three new lifts at Falls, including one on the slope of Mount McKay itself.

Then, Bracks ousted Kennett at the State Election and Labor reversed the decision with all plans for Mt McKay torn to shreds. Thus the lift company have now only approval for two lifts (Damsite and Rocky Knolls) with Mt McKay decreed untouchable.

Correct ?

Jeffo

Hard Yards
May 4, 2005
I was under the impression moving Eagle lift to end somewhere around the ski patrol hut was a higher priority at this stage?

And i was just thinking, when was the last time the Falls Creek Pipe Cutter was dragged out the shed?

ausi ski bum

A Local
Jan 1, 1970
Near Cootamundra NSW
Snowduck, not quite, they have never applied formally for McKay but a proposal for Rocky Knolls and McKay was approved in principal by Kennette and that was this.

To put lifts on Rocky Knolls and McKay required clearing a substantial number of trees or the base station and lift line. By moving the Base Station slightly into the National Park rather than remaining inside the ski area boundary you could dramatically reduce the need for clearing thus protect the environment. For this sensible reason Kennette approved the plan.

The ALP and Greenies made a huge song and dance about the issue of allowing development in the park and promised to return 2500 acres from near McKay back to the park.

The truth however was very different, they returned very little around McKay to the park the vast majority of the returned area was around the dam between the ski lifts and the water where the road runs around.

The whole issue was basically stupid point scoring

Hunter

Part of the Furniture
Endless Winter
Aug 21, 2000
goughs bay
ausi ski bum said:
One day shadow, I believe the way to increase patronage is to stop the outflow to other resorts once they become advanced skiers is to open up the McKay and Rocky Knoll areas.

Aust resorts have long ago ceased to target advanced skiers and their disinterest in this small group is only going to excelerate given the much better value skiing on offer OS.

So your continued holding a candle for McKay to be lifted on the basis of luring advanced skiers is a myth, time to dry the tears I am afraid and move on, FC is a great resort for beginners, low intermediates and families, much better to build upon that strong base.

snowduck

One of Us
Dec 30, 2004
Adelaide
Jeffo said:
I was under the impression moving Eagle lift to end somewhere around the ski patrol hut was a higher priority at this stage?

Regarding the moving of the Eagle Lift - I heard the gossip last winter that the lift would be realigned with the top station virtually opposite the Lakeside Poma, which would allow beginners to hop of the Eagle and ski very short and direct to Cloud 9. I also heard in the same gossip the possibility of the Eagle becoming a Quad, with the old Triple Chair then being shifted to replace the Lakeside Poma.

Can anyone elaborate on this ?

main street

Doing what I want.
Ski Pass
Jul 11, 2006
Kelowna, BC
No.

They would place it so you could still traverse across to the lower part of Scotty's/racecourse & link to RC from there.

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.
I often get to Ruined Castle from the top of the Summit quad. It's a good hoon down the hill in a tuck, but I never get quite enough speed to get up to the ridge, so I have to skate the last 50 metres which is quite tiring with the heavy, inflexible skis and boots I use when I'm in bounds at resorts.

If only they would reinstate the Saddle/Link Lift T-bar, access to Ruined Castle would be easy for everyone.
smile.gif

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
a few seasons ago, eagle was shut for several days. The schuss from summit was the go. the skate to ruined/scotts is surprisingly short/easy, but i still think link and headwater should have been retained

i hadn't thought about the realignment of eagle impacting RC access. it shouldn't be a major issue (except in poor conditions) but it is yet another case of beginners needs being given priority over more experienced skiers.

DeesOnSkis

One of Us
May 27, 2004
Melbourne
currawong said:
i hadn't thought about the realignment of eagle impacting RC access. it shouldn't be a major issue (except in poor conditions) but it is yet another case of beginners needs being given priority over more experienced skiers.

Well that was my point - not that it would be difficult but that
its quite convenient coming off at the top of Eagle and getting a
fast run down to RC.

Would you want everyone traversing to get to a main area?

ausi ski bum

A Local
Jan 1, 1970
Near Cootamundra NSW
The top station of the realigned Eagle would be near the Ski Patrol hut where you can easily ski to Cloud Nine through the gap and Ruined Castle via playground.

Maybe they will turn the lift above the Eagle Rock, I am not sure if you can turn a chair lift ? Anyone.

Principal Douglas

Big Fan
Ski Pass
Mar 21, 2002
Orange, NSW
It can be done but it's probably an extra expense that might not be needed.

The Penkenbahn gondola in Mayrhofen, Austria, was the first gondola to turn a corner at full speed. I've also seen detachable lifts have a change in direction at mid stations.

hair-raiser

Hard Yards
Nov 25, 2003
On another of Falls' developments, I heard that St Falls is now so far behind that it is in "Finish-at-any-Cost" mode when winter's over. It is said not to be a financial success, as it now will only return its costs at best.

What's with St.Hotham and St. Buller?

Madski

Hard Yards
Aug 30, 2002
Works stoped a while ago well before easter on St Buller i wonder if it will proceed.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass