1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Opinion Falls Creek entry 2020 Spring Snow

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by ocker, Aug 9, 2020.

1. ocker

ocker Hard Yards

My understanding is that Vail Resorts have decided that lifts will not re-open this season no matter how much snow falls and FCRM will not groom the cross country trails for the rest of the season even when the restrictions are lifted. But FCRM are going to charge resort entry to any visitors who come for the spring snow up to October 4..
    What are they trying to achieve. Why would people pay $60 per day when there are no lifts and no cross country trails? Are they determined to deter the few people who may think about coming? It is really hard to entice people to come to the snow in September no matter how deep the snow when the lifts are running & the trails groomed.
    It seems to demonstrate the folly of this entry fee business model. Victoria is the only place in the world which thinks this is a good business model. Most other places on the world they subsidise you to enter the snow resort. In Utah this year the ski bus from Salt Lake was $5 or free if you had a super pass or Ikon pass. At Jackson Hole the bus from the town to the resort was $1. Even at Vail last time I was there the bus from the outer free car park to the lift base was free.
    The idea to charge entry fee for the last few weeks of season if restrictions are lifted after mid September seems dumb to me.

dawooduck likes this.
  2. Cam Slee

Cam Slee One of Us

They still have to cover snow clearing. FCRM do it. Not Vicroads, they do it at Hotham. Well, a contractor does, Stadelmann.
    I've done it at both resorts.

3. djam

djam One of Us

This is one of only a few ways the resort collects money to pay the bills. The other way
    is with rates, (rent and service charges), I'm sure those paying those fees would like to
    get a reduction too, only most the resort management costs will still need to be paid.

The only way to change this, is for someone else to pick up the tab, the government ?
    Like they do with all other vic national parks.

nezumi and currawong like this.
  4. Team Weasel

Team Weasel One of Us

Meh, just get used to it. Resorts in Vic can have pretty contemptible treatment of their patrons in general. On the flip side, I don't feel at all bad returning the favor by minimising costs through work arounds (eg. bus into Hotham), Epic/Ikon passes and minimising spending in the village.

5. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I suspect that what/if to charge when lockdowns end has not been their top priority. It will no doubt be part of their multi-faceted discussion about this season, their stakeholders' predicament, their budget, recovery strategies ... At the moment there are far bigger issues than whether a handful of BC skiers should have to pay entry.

I suspect that enforcement of fees for the tail of the system may cost more than they could raise and that sanity will prevail. In the period leading up to the closure they were offering full refunds of entry if people spent that much on lunch. hardly a money grab by fcrm

resort mgt at vic resorts gets money from businesses (leases & service fees) and from the gate. that has to cover all their recurrent costs and much capex too. (the smaller resorts don't manage to do this.) AIUI there are one-off grants for various things but not for recurrent costs. Lots of on mountain businesses are in dire straits after loss of business due to bushfires and covid. Getting more money that way is not very likely. Gate fees are seen as a user pays revenue source.

neither party is likely to change this in a hurry and be seen to be using tax payers' money to support an elite past time. it's not impossible that some recovery package might address the gate fees next year, but i won't be holding my breath

6. MIROU

MIROU Hard Yards

Hi ! I just read all these unbelievable news but I am not in a position to make any comments. In the 50's I was Bob Hymans' wife and we lived at Falls year long a family life with babies etc ..... ERIC Hymans was my son. I am now 89 yrs, live in Belgium, and thus have no idea about running Falls or any resort for that matter but what I can and will say is that these people (who ever they are) will surely kill skiing in Australia ! In the fifties people in Australia did not know about snow and Bob was set to create a resort just like in Europe, it was his dream, it was his life ..... so first he had to attract people to come to the snow and bring them to ski .... nothing existed at that time and it was a real hard work, like pulling a sled - very early in the day when snow was still hard - with the luggages but also with the food and all that was necessary to live in Falls ..... where nothing existed meaning, water, electricity ...... Bob had found a spring in which he pull a pipe, he had an engin- shed where he made electricity ...... etc and because of all this hard work you all can now come to ski not knowing the least bit of this ..... AND THOSE CRASY PEOPLE ARE GOING TO DESTROY ALL THIS : they are killing, eradicating the winter sports and spirit ....... Thar's all I can say and want to say ! My nickname is MIROU ...... (excuse my bad english but here in Belgium I do not use it !).

7. Cam Slee

Cam Slee One of Us

Thanks, MIROU for your insight.

Chaeron likes this.
  8. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Gold Ski Pass: Silver

The rather poor snow falls this season on The Bogong High Plains may not be sufficient to build a base that will last into spring as the sun warms and the day become longer. Even if one were to access the Back country ski terrain and huts via the many different routes that require trekking in with camping and ski gear strapped to a large pack in order to avoid the gate / toll booth at Howman's gap, the considerable effort expended may not be commensurate with the little snow left to ski on in the terrain in the Roper's hut area for example.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

At the mo the resort is closed to the public and whether that will change depends on whether the virus spread is brought under control. This is a public health matter - not a FCRM decision.

And in fact there has been some XC trail grooming - for the benefit of residents and to preserve what base was left, I'd say.

10. Warlock_01

Warlock_01 One of Us

This day 2018. The resort was absolutely caked!!

11. Charles

Charles Addicted Ski Pass: Gold

I remember one season everything was on wind hold, I had a day or two left.. I had a cold, I was feeling horrible but I was not going to take no for an answer. So I walked up the mountain and did two runs before I ran out of energy. Some will just pay just to see the snow and enjoy the surroundings.. Just to keep sane. Dam I would pay. I live in Adelaide, I need to touch snow at least once every 6 months or I struggle. I am struggling now looking at these photos.

Sadie and Chaeron like this.
  12. skiflat

skiflat Old n' Crusty

13. emkae

emkae One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

One year ago

Jonathan_P, Chaeron and skiflat like this.
  14. rowdyflat

rowdyflat One of Us Ski Pass: Gold Ski Pass: Silver

I wonder if we will get up there for a ski before it disappears ?.
    Looks like 2020 will be a one fall wonder.

15. MIROU

MIROU Hard Yards

it's about what I was saying ! Mirou

16. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

2006 was out last dreadful year, with only 1 snowfall. I was told that Bob said it was the worst he had seen.