1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Falls Creek Family holiday

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by Ben Lomond Brad, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Ben Lomond Brad

Ben Lomond Brad Part of the Furniture

Ok, just looking for a bit of a heads up.

First question.....when will falls creek have snow? Just kidding :p

We are planning our 'first' family ski holiday and looking at falls because of terrain for beginners. Wife and kids have limited skiing experience, whereas I am inter/advanced on board and skis.

Looking for accom suggestions. Wife is coeliac so would need self contained or small lodge ( to avoid cross contamination), reasonable budget ( but not huge - yes I know what things cost)

Due to school holidays and family commitments we'd be there mid/late July.

Restaurant and ski hire suggestion also welcome
    Cheers
    BLB

2. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

As your family are beginners, something around the Falls Express ski lift, ski school at the time of this quad chair.
    Les Chalets are next to the lift, http://www.mountainmultiservice.com.au/ has a few properties in the area, Rocky Valley and High Plains come to mind.

3. Conners

Conners One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I'd get in reasonably quickly if you want mid to late July, a lot of our preferences were already taken :thumbs:

4. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

If you can avoid school holidays, then aim for late July. Chances are, snow will be better, too, but then again, these days, who can tell? (I watched it all melt away in 2 days in July 2013). Oversnow transport is a factor, also, and best avoided if possible, unless you are staying high in the village and have no choice. Les Chalets, as mentioned by Apres, are accessible from the road, just a short walk and very close to shops and Falls Express lift. Snowland (?) apartments are just a few metres up the hill and look very reasonable. I'm hoping to get in there in August. Hope it's a great season and you all have fun.

5. Conners

Yes we're booked in Snowland, in where Last Hoot is. First time there but looks ok and reasonably priced for the location

6. Ben Lomond Brad

@chriscross will def be avoiding school holidays.......I'm a teacher and am taking some LSL so the less kids about the better :p

I've been to falls before and am pretty aware of the oversnow 'issues'. Our lodge on Ben Lomond is a 100m walk from the carpark so lugging gear about is something I'm pretty used to and the family have learnt to pack pretty light these days.

Many years ago I stayed in what is now Fjall, so that end of the village would be fine, especially as it is close to Falls Express

7. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

oversnow is a lot better than it was, especially if you can avoid arriving on sunday afternoon and make sure to book your return trip early, preferably when you are buying your oversnow tickets on arrival. that said, staying somewhere that doesn't need oversnow is even easier.

agree with others that for beginners it is probably easiest to stay in the vicinity of FC Express, eg Les Chalets.

normally I would urge people to try a lodge, but if the coeliac issue is critical then I can understand why you need to be in control of your own kitchen.

SA holidays go until 18 July I think.last week of July is traditionally fairly quiet at FC. I'd be looking at somwhere between 19 & 31 July.

8. chriscross

Would love to ski on Ben Lomond one day, just for the experience. Quicker to fly to Launceston than drive to FC, but maybe not the variety of terrain. Mt Field area looks to have some interesting possibilities as well.

9. Conners

SA is very dependent on the school, public is the 18th, a lot/most privates a week later

10. qwill

qwill Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

agree on the oversnow, vast improvement, and the extra walkways also helps if you are sorta mid-village. however nothing beats being around the plaza for beginners. you could also try something at the bowl, noting it is a bit of a traverse across the top to the ski school.

11. Ben Lomond Brad

@currawong Interesting that you have mentioned Les Chalets - I have already found a room on stayz and made some enquiries. Looks ok, a bit worn perhaps, but that's common in th ebudget range we are looking at.
    Any other suggestions of similar appreciated.

(we are used to all sharing a room in our current lodge on Ben Lomond, and as this is a ski holiday, not a fancy pants hotel holiday, we are happy for the budget version ;) )

12. Apresski

13. skimax

skimax Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Think youve summed it up pretty well BLB , with young family proximity to halleys lift is everything in self contained.
    If your into cheap dbb then halleys lodge is excellent value also well located to that lift.

14. skimax

skimax Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Les chalets is fine IIRC yes dated etc but good location , you want to specify ground floor if you can i suspect to avoid having kiddies taking 4 hours to go up flights of steps , risk of slips in boots etc thats important or you will be carrying kiddies and skis up and down steps in your boots which is no fun .

15. Apresski

Edgecrusher likes this.
  16. Ben Lomond Brad

@skimax our lodge here in Tas is 4 storeys high, so climbing steps with arm loads of gear is something I"m very used to.

We have enquired about Les Chalets Appt 11, which is ground floor anyway.
    I'll check out the other two and compare the prices on them

17. Ben Lomond Brad

@Apresski it wasn't Fjall when I stayed there. More of a school group lodge. I can't even remember what it was called.

18. Apresski

Snowgums

19. chriscross

Ski and boot storage is on the ground floor at Les Chalets, at least it is in the front building ( I think there are two), so no lugging of gear required to/from apartments upstairs.

Ben Lomond Brad and qwill like this.
  20. currawong

Chorki is a small commercial club lodge with a small common kitchen.
    I've never been in Cosella but I believe it is similar.
    Halleys is a commercial lodge. I think that these days they do lots of school groups - maybe not what you are after

Not exactly budget, but Nelse lodge is not very far ( up Slalom st, just past the school) and is a great small commercial lodge with a reputation for good atmosphere. I don't know the chef there now but I think it would be worth discussing the coeliac issue with owner Graeme if you would like a catered holiday.

Currawong apartments, no connection, are in that area too and I think are at the cheaper end

Pretty Valley is a commercial lodge - not budget - that is very close to FC Express and has an excellent reputation for customer service. Might be worth a chat with owner Barry about the coeliac issue

Another possibility for apartments would be the FC Country Club and rely on the road shuttle to get to FC Express. My BIL and kids were pretty happy when they stayed there a while ago.

With older apartments,the standard is pretty dependent on the individual owners and how they maintain each unit

21. Apresski

If your kids don't mind the walk up the road you could also consider Gebi's apartments, they are next to the Country Club.

22. Sh4d0w9

Sh4d0w9 Hard Yards

Another word to note, don't write off the majority of the restaurants re: your wife being coeliac. There are a number of venues that, if you call up and make a reservation or an enquiry prior to opening, will definitely make sure your wife is catered for. Elk, Winterhaven, Milch, Summit Ridge and Astra to name a few will all be worth considering. They all tend to buy local produce and make as much as possible on site, so they would be able to trace back the ingredient list in every component of their dishes.

23. Skipress

Skipress Hard Yards Ski Pass: Gold

Barry Iddles (owner/operator elk restaurant and bar at Falls Creek) has a similiar condition to your wife. Iddles said:"I suffer this. hence our menu at elk is 80% gluten free. I also have a dedicated deep fryer for gluten free."

24. Ben Lomond Brad

Cheers @Sh4d0w9
    We certainly intend to have a couple of meals out, as we eat out at home occasionally anyway.
    One of our daughters is also intollerant of gluten, and have discovered that kids ski school even do gf options.

25. Ben Lomond Brad

26. skipjack10

skipjack10 Hard Yards

OP mentioned rental gear. I'd also love any info you good folk have on where to rent gear from. I know FC Sports is right there but what is their gear like?

As an example, last year I hired from Hoys (Hotham) and paid a little extra for their performance gear and was more than happy with it.

27. Towie97

Towie97 Hard Yards

My situation is very similar to BLB (sans the food allergy) so I thought I would post here rather than starting a thread.

I know the resort well from many years ago but have a couple of practical questions in taking kids/beginners:
    1. How do parents get their kids to ski school?
    2. Is it necessary for the parents to have a lift ticket for the day to accompany them on FCX to Cloud9? (if that is the answer to 1)
    3. Would this be done without skis?
    4. Ditto for collecting them given that the kids wouldn't be able to ski Wombat's at first?
    Hoping someone can take the time to answer - thanks in anticipation.
    ___
    T97

28. Hully

Hully One of Us

Parents take their kids up Falls Express to ski school. Short answer is that parents can accompany kids enrolled in snow club or junior workshop up the lift without a lift pass as long as they do not have any ski or board equipment. To collect the kids they can ride the lift up without a pass and then accompany the kids back down the lift. Just ask and explain to ski lift staff.

Towie97 likes this.
  29. ODNT

ODNT Part of the Furniture

Ive hired for my kids @ FC sports in the bowl some 4 yrs ago
    all good gear back then

#29 ODNT, Mar 10, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  30. Apresski

No problem accompanying kids or collecting them via Falls Creek Express, as long as you don't have any ski equipment with you. However if you are a skier and believe your kids can't negotiate Wombat's Ramble, just download on the lift.

Towie97 likes this.
  31. tr+h

tr+h One of Us

Couldn't fault Alpineview the 2 times we stayed there. Max cafe right in front, frying pan and one other restaurant too. Hire shop next to max cafe. Used village shuttle a couple of times,but mostly used the eagle chair.

32. Sadie

Sadie Chk Chk Boom Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Oi @Ben Lomond Brad !! Will your time consist of a weekend? We will catch up!! (Unless I am in Melb that weekend hahah)

33. Ben Lomond Brad

Sorry @Sadie, will be a Sunday through to Friday trip :)

34. currawong

My recommendation is central snowsports for hiring. I'm sure lots of people do ok with FC sport but in my experience they can be pretty hopeless. Especially true if you want performance skis. At Central Snowsports you will probably be talking to a fantastic skier. At FC Sports you will just as likely be talking to a rookie snowboarder

35. Towie97

Towie97 Hard Yards

How's the quality of gear for young kiddies at the various hire stores? I'm considering either FC Sports or Halley's - Central would be out of the way from where we are staying.

36. Hully

Hully One of Us

FC Sports has plenty of good quality skis for kids.

37. Sadie

Booooooooooooooo.

38. Ben Lomond Brad

@Sadie , you could always wag

39. Sadie

Ben Lomond Brad likes this.
  40. Edgecrusher

Edgecrusher Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Chorki is great - I've spent about five weeks in that lodge all up. Friendly staff and family friendly rooms too, good kitchen, convenient spot, no need for Oversnow :)

#40 Edgecrusher, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
    Apresski likes this.
  41. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates One of Us

If you're still looking, have a look at the red onion (larger groups), pontressina or snowski (opposite eagle chair & next to the village shuttle )

42. BillyKidd

BillyKidd One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

All good advice above but FC like all Aus ski hills is IMHO just not worth the cost anymore. You can stay at Bogong Village or take your luck at season's end (I've done both and even with limited snow in SEP it has been fun. You can get a great break and some decent skiing in the morning at the end of the season (usually with great weather too). BUT - for what it is it is an expensive proposition for a family and the actual value is something that doesn't stack up. You get better value out of Europe/NorthAm/Japan.

43. Ben Lomond Brad

That may be tru @BillyKidd, however, when holiday constraints, and experience are what is being looked for, then the cost can be irrelevant.
    If I was taking just myself skiing/boarding I'd be on a plane to NZ for two weeks on my own or sharing a room with a bunch of others at Hotham for a couple of weeks and living on 2 min noodles and weetbix, but this is a family trip, to get the kids skiing confidently, and give my +1 a chance to rebuild her skiing confidence after a fall a couple of seasons ago.
    It is also tagged on to a couple of weeks touring Vic, so as a family mountain, falls wins over Hotham and Buller......in this instance (I have skied/boarded at all three major Vic resorts so know what they offer)

44. BillyKidd

BillyKidd One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

If I am taking the family it is definitely always to FC. The best mountain bar none I think in VIC. And cost/value issues aside it can be great. Horses for courses as it were - and with the various constraints applying then a fair call. I love FC so I struggle with the reality that the value proposition doesn't stack up anymore (that doesn't always stop me heading there mind...constraints applying as they do). So by all means go for it. If you are doing the touring/family/kids/confidence rebuild/etc then the value proposition changes and that is not unreasonable. The "but" in that instance however is that it is your external constraints/requirements that are changing the value proposition, not the actual value proposition offered by FC. There are still some decent lodges on the hill, although they are getting scarce. Ticket prices are, by any comparison, silly. Some facilities are getting better but lift speeds, hopeless snow guarantees, and lift ticket conditions that would be laughed at in EU/NorthAM are not attractive. Resort entry is piracy, parking is woeful and on-mountain service is so hugely variable it is a crap shoot. FC could be so much more. Of course you can apply this generally to the Oz tourism sector, looking good in the mid 90s but since gutted by short-term greed, backpacker exploitation, very mixed service and silly costs (not to mention a hell of a lot of very, very tired properties). You can still have a great time at FC (or elsewhere) but it is so often a roll of the dice as to whether it will turn out to be OK. Shame that.

45. hpsauce

hpsauce A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I reckon FC Country Club is a good family joint.
    Cause they are full size apartments.....proper kitchen...nice outlook......nice pool and sauna etc.
    And while on the map they look like the ski in/out access isn't the best, I reckon it's surprisingly good....so long as there is enough snow to scoot into the elevated rear access of the building.
    Position is good for a parked car. And ski hire outside front door at the Gully there.
    Downside is 2 chair rides to beginners area. But that's not really too bad....and actually makes the natural meeting point the Bowl.
    Also the "Final Muster" run to the back of the apartments can be a bit tricky for a beginner from time to time. But overall probably way less risky than wombat's ramble at day's end

Towie97 likes this.
  46. Apresski

Also the walk up the road, to Falls Creek Express isn't too difficult from there as the road is usually cleared. If people find the final muster too difficult they can always download on the Gully chair.

47. Ben Lomond Brad

Cheers,
    We've ended up with an apartment at Les Chalets for a good price, so are very happy with that.
    Compared to skiing in Tas, anything is a bonus ;)
    I'd happily practice riding one foot switch on my board or switch on my skis down Wombats Ramble for a week if it meant seeing my kids smiling and laughing infront (behind me) all the way.
    But I do get your point when we compare the Australian cost of skiing with OS.
    In Tas we pay $65 a day for up to 7, but usually 4, surface lifts, either Tbars or platters.
    Chairlifts are a luxury!!!!

48. gettingtooold

gettingtooold One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Whatever happens Brad, if it involves your kids and other half in the snow and they enjoy the trip, priceless. Falls is a very easy place to get around and sure you'll love it as I do. (It's actually not that flat if you know where to go.) Enjoy, and chairs everywhere.

49. Hully

Hully One of Us

With that attitude you'll have a ball. Hopefully we can catchup for a ski when you are here. Let me know if there is anything I can help with as you get closer, or to help facilitate your travel through Mt beauty and to Falls Creek. Cheers Pete

50. Apresski

You'll have a wonderful time Brad. My kids still love Falls and they are all grown up, both skied there from the age of 3. Have a wonderful holiday, hope the snow gods are good to you.