1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Falls Creek Family holiday

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by Ben Lomond Brad, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Ben Lomond Brad

Ben Lomond Brad Part of the Furniture

Not this year....Antarctic flyover in Feb and National Highland Dancing Championships in Adelaide at Easter has destroyed funds.......if I wasn't patrolling here, I may not get to ski/board :(

2. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Also, oversnow charge by the bag (above the basic allowance) so consolidating is good. We usually self-cater so lots of food (& bev). Big plastic crates are very useful for that.

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates One of Us

I can't remember if we have ever paid extra for luggage on O/S. Usually have a couple of bags of clothes plus 2 more packing crates of food & esky. Last couple of years the road has been open in late June but school holidays are early July this year so here's hoping.

4. ladycamper

ladycamper One of Us

Using a hiking backpack for luggage and walking up (there's no rule forbidding it) can reduce over snow fees for a thrifty skier. Can be difficult with families and is probably best suited to fit and thrifty single lodge guests. Is quite hard for those who need to carry skis or snowboards and best for people hiring on the mountain.

5. weerab

weerab One of Us

I skied up to Parallel Street last season. Bit tricky coming down with a full pack and snow all chopped up.

ladycamper likes this.
  6. ladycamper

ladycamper One of Us

I say, I didn't have that street in mind as a great possibility. I'd thought arrivals and departures would be by walking.

7. Moondog55

Moondog55 One of Us

Chopped up snow is where cheap plastic sleds come in handy, it is a lot easier to pull a sled than ski with a pack on or carry in your arms.
    Plastic conduit over the rope helps on the downhills

ladycamper likes this.
  8. mr

mr Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

picsorban! (if it was you)

9. Ben Lomond Brad

Ben Lomond Brad Part of the Furniture

was my girls :p

mr likes this.
  10. wannaski

wannaski One of Us

Is the 30 minute pass a new thing ? We have never been given anything - they just tell us we can drive up and unload .

11. snowduck

snowduck One of Us

Recent

Maybe the attendant was just being extra kind to you :)

12. snowduck

snowduck One of Us

Quote :

30 MINUTE ACCESS (SNOW SEASON)
    During the declared snow season Falls Creek village is restricted for vehicle access. Guests will be permitted to enter via Falls Creek Rd under a temporary 30 minute permit to drive to their accommodation and unload luggage. Vehicles must exit the village within the 30 minute timeframe. The Slalom Street entrance will remain closed at all times. This status may apply during some Green Season events.

ladycamper likes this.
  13. currawong

The 30 min rule has been there for a while but they don't often actually give out passes. Opening weekend they tend to, and other busy times. If it's relatively quiet they don't bother. But if a ranger sees your car there for too long you can still be booked

ladycamper likes this.
  14. BronnyBean

BronnyBean One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Just booked a week at bogong village, just couldn't in good conscience drop $4k for a 5 night on-snow stay. $1250 for 5 nights at Bogong sounded much better to me!

So, questions:
    • How's the road to falls from there?
    • What's the parking like at Falls?
    • Any bus services worth trying?
    • What is my non-Skiing Husband gonna do for 5 days?!
    • Have I made a large error? (Actually... no. Scratch that. Don't wanna know.)
    Thanks all appreciate any advice :)

15. Beerman

Beerman One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

2014, i walked the complete set of 4 x ski gear, boots etc and bags to Parallel up the steel stairs.
    2015, same week, roads were open and guest services had a hiace van deliver us to the same property.

What a difference a year makes. Great year 2014.

16. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates One of Us

The road to FC is the same as the previous 15km from Mt Beauty, BHP road. Take it slow or take a bucket :confused: It is very windy.

BV is a great location and on Sundays/Mondays the hydro power station is open for visitors.

There's Falls Creek Coaches but you'd have to check if they pick up from BV.

Hubby can do a scenic flight from FC, Skidoo, snow shoeing, snow bikes, tobogoning or pub crawl.
    :fishing: :froth: :cheers:

BronnyBean likes this.
  17. currawong

The road it's pretty good. It is twisty but protected. Easier drive than Buller or Harrietville approach to Hotham.You must carry chains, even if 4wd. 4wd rarely need to fit them.

Mid week parking at Falls is really easy. Weekends you have to be there early. There are 3 car parks. Most popular is slalom st area (2nd car park), nearest to FC Express. Quick access to wombats, towers, ski school. Gully car park gives access to gully chair (and thence eagle & summit chairs) and international poma. The 3rd, car park is windy corner. It is the xc trail head but it is also gives access to the last part of wombats ramble, which takes you down to fc express, ticket sales etc.

I don't know if the bus stops at bogong. Ring falls creek coaches and ask.

There are a few short walks around the bogong village area but not much else in winter. If you can get a bus then he can pinch the car and check out wineries, breweries, galleries around Kiewa and Ovens valleys, Beechworth, Rutherglen, Albury/Wodonga.

As @Scott No Mates says there some activities at falls.

I don't think the cafe at bogging village is operating at the moment. Take all your groceries with you. You can top up from the supermarket at Falls, or send hubby down to mt beauty to shop for you.

You are certainly closer to falls in bogong village than in Mt beauty, but it doesn't have a lot else to offer in winter. It is a very picturesque spot.

BronnyBean likes this.
  18. BronnyBean

You guys are the best, thank you! Really looking forward to it :woohoo:

19. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

From memory the bus from Mt Beauty does pick ups and drop offs at Bogong Village. It doesn't drive into the actual village, the bus stop is on the road side and you just flag the bus down. If you contact the bus company (used to be called Pyles, but maybe different now) or the people who manage Bogong village, I'm sure they'll be able to help you out.

BronnyBean likes this.
  20. BronnyBean

Thanks Apres. Bus is more for the hubby to get out and do stuff... I'm gonna take the kids in the car early up to falls for lessons just worried about leaving him all day with no options. Hes a bit of a homebody so don't expect he'll want to get out much.

21. currawong

There is bike hire available at Rocky Valley bikes & ski hire in mt beauty, close to the bus station. I think they also hire out golf clubs - local course features "undulating" terrain, roos and birds that steal golf balls. There are a few walks in and close to town. You can fish in the pondage but don't expect much to be biting at this time of year (closed season in the river). Horseriding is available but he'd need to take a taxi.

BronnyBean likes this.
  22. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

From BV there's also an interesting short walk or drive above a creek to a water-sculpted gorge. It's a vehicle track to a water gauge that leaves from the top end of Lake Guy (you can drive 2 WD to that point).

Anyway, that was the case when I last drove it which must be over a decade ago.