1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Falls Creek for families?

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by Noah, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Noah

Noah Early Days

Hi there,

Just wondering if Falls is a good place for families? Planning a family trip this September and wondering whether to go to Falls or Thredbo. Chose those because they both seem to have a fair amount of accommodation options and a good amount of intermediate runs. We're in Sydney so Thredbo is closer but don't mind the extra travel. Do Falls Creek do the kids ski free in September thing that Thredbo seems to do? Is there any cheap (or cheaper) accommodation options in the village like Thredbo's YHA? Don't mind staying in surrounding areas if not, but like the idea of not driving ages each day. My kids are 10 and 12 and have only been skiing a couple of times, but they're confident and have fun (wife not so much). Any advice appreciated.

2. mr

mr Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

its probably the best in vic (if not aust) for families, wide band of green, blues and family-friendly attitude. i would say that falls' key business driver is families.

neilmny, qwill and Noah like this.
  3. mr

my accom is falls is usually a tent, thats pretty cost effective! but others will know better than me

4. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Absolutely, it’s a great place for families.

neilmny likes this.
  5. emkae

emkae One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Getting an apartment for the family can be a lower cost option for on snow accommodation at Falls, particularly in September

6. Rick Ross Da Boss

Rick Ross Da Boss One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Try snowski apartments, they got some good sized self contained apartments with 2/3 bedrooms
    Spent many a school holidays in there

7. Ziggy

Ziggy Repreived Ski Pass: Gold

Falls runs are better suited to a range of skiers.

There's YMCA Howmans Gap camp 5km from Falls - the closest thing to YHA at Thredbo.

http://howmansgap.ymca.org.au/winter/stay/

Heads up - Victorian resorts charge a daily entry fee.

8. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

falls is certainly good for families.

I don't think they have free skiing for kids but there usually some good deals in September, often under the name of sunny September. not sure if these are being advertised yet. you could call Falls Creek Central Reservations (and other agents) and see what they can tell you. The other agents were mainly for apartments. FCCR handles lodges too.

at any time I would expect falls accom to be cheaper than thredbo.

for cheap accom, try Alpha which is a club that takes guests. Maybe Diana if you want dinner, bed and brekkie. Even places that are more expensive in peak session can have good deals in September. My relos got a good September deal a few years ago on an apartment at the country club.

neilmny and nezumi like this.
  9. mr

ive stayed at the houses at Bogong village and they are pretty good value, 30mins drive at each end though

Scott No Mates Ver 1.1 and Ziggy like this.
  10. Scott No Mates Ver 1.1

Scott No Mates Ver 1.1 Addicted

If you don't mind a short (15km drive) Bogong Village is a good & cheaper solution. Unfortunately there are no shops there but you're halfway between Falls and Mt Beauty. Depending on conditions, you can pop down to the hydro scheme, drive to Bright/Milawa etc if you want some time off mountain as well.

Ziggy likes this.
  11. ocker

ocker Hard Yards

The day parking at Falls is the best in Australia and from my personal experience some of the most convenient in the world I have seem. Three day car parks each at the base of an access lift with at least one public shelter at each lift base. As long as you are reasonably early it will be a short walk to the lifts and can be more convenient with small children when staying off mountain than many of the on-mountain accommodation.
    From Mount Beauty it is a 45 minute drive to a day car park most of the time.
    Kiewa View (3 BR house) in Mount Beauty has mid-week vacancies in September
    Sept 9 -13 whole house $605 for the 4 nights
    Sept 16 - 20 whole house $605 for the 4 nights
    Sept 25 - 27 whole house $250 for the 2 nights
    information and booking www.kiewaview.com.au

12. Ziggy

Ziggy Repreived Ski Pass: Gold

Isn't it pathetic - someone uses the anonymity of the web to avoid the normal courtesy of a thank you.

13. Noah

Noah Early Days

Is that directed at me? My apologies, I've been busy and only just came back to this thread. Thanks very much for all the suggestions, I looked at those options and I think affordability wise might be best to get a house in Mt Beauty or Bogong Valley. Is the road very good getting up to falls?

To those who choose falls over Perisher or thredbo, what is it that you prefer about Falls? or do most go there just for the sake of variety? I'd be coming from Sydney and it seems a little cheaper than Jindabyne accommodation, but not by too much.

14. Noah

Noah Early Days

Mr, what sort of tent setup do you have? How far is the campsite from the slopes? Any cost to camp?

15. SEN123

SEN123 Hard Yards

I agree the Falls is great for families with an excellent mountain feel. I would suggest Perisher rather than Thredbo, consider an apartment in Jindabyne and add ski tube for stress-free access to the mountain.

16. Scott No Mates Ver 1.1

• Park your car and you don't need to go back to it for a week (or whenever)
    • You are in a snowbound village - unless you are in Woodridge at Thredbo (and a couple of other select parts), you might as well be on Mars - it is not on-snow).
    • You can ski to/from most accommodation
    • Great village feel
    • Not pretentious
    • Drive from Sydney is just about as quick to FC as it is to Jindy
    • No traffic lights from entering the M2/M4/M5/M7 until you get to Falls
    • No crowds (more skiing time rather than waiting in queues)
    • Difficulty progresses across the mountain
    • Several food outlets spread out across the hill rather than just at the central terminal
    • Good off-mountain options eg: Hydro Power station, Mt Beauty, Bright, Milawa are all great places to visit
    Other than that, nothing.....:rolleyes:

Chaeron, currawong and qwill like this.
  17. qwill

qwill Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Also, if you have someone there who only wants a half-day on snow there are numerous park-their-butt options in various locations, we found Perisher to be the pits in that regard.

Chaeron and Beerman like this.
  18. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

a few other points
    • day parking, at least mid week, is pretty close to the lifts
    • doesn't suffer from too many runs tunnelling into same crazy area
    • the south facing runs hold good cover and quality. they might not be long but they are less likely to be slush pits
    • it really is friendlier and more relaxed

qwill, Chaeron and Scott No Mates like this.
  19. Beerman

Beerman One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Yep FC for the win.
    Best village in Aus, as well as car free
    Multiple places to ride/hide = low density/crowds
    Only real ski in and out in Aus
    No Thredbo/Perisher this place is better attitude

Mouse_M and Chaeron like this.
  20. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

21. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

While Falls may generally be good for families, I likely won't be there until 2022 at the earliest - I have a small snowboarder, and I can't stomach the cost of private lessons for him, so it's Perisher for us until he's at least 6.

22. Scott No Mates Ver 1.1

Why resort to privates when the snoclub (for under 6's) is excellent - bung him in all day, he gets to play and learn, you can set and forget.

23. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

He snowboarded at Perisher this year, and enjoyed that - in snowclub he has to do skiing, which carries an additional cost for hire (he has his own snowboard). Even on the lesson/program cost alone, it was $510 for 5 days at Perisher, and $768 for a 5 of 7 at Falls Creek. Beyond that, the default hire cost from Falls for 5 days would be $139, taking it to $907. That extra cost is enough to justify the additional travel to Perisher.

24. Becky

Becky Hard Yards

Does the Perisher cost include lift pass, if so, that is a bargin! I am pretty sure Falls Creek snow club price includes lift pass.

25. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

Yup, it includes a lift pass, although I think the Discover is for 4 and under, so the lift pass is a "free" season pass, other than the $5 cost of the card. They have their own area with a magic carpet for the kids. I was hoping that with the shared ownership, prices and service offerings across both might normalise.